HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL and NHLPA approve re-alignment

Old
02-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
"fighting toughness" is overrated

the West has plenty of teams that are "hockey tough"
its what allowed yzerman, federov and lidstrom to becoem the greats that they became

probert kept teams honest

its part of hockey, always has and always should be

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:29 AM
SirKillalot

As long as there is no conferences in the Playoffs. I want that everyone can play everyone.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:47 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
As long as there is no conferences in the Playoffs. I want that everyone can play everyone.
I didn't even bother asking: how do the playoffs work?

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
I'd be really disappointed to lose the rivalry with Detroit but you guys shouldn't the amount of PTZ games that you do.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:05 AM
icKx

Quote:

No kidding. It's not like St.Louis and Nashville are cream puffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
its what allowed yzerman, federov and lidstrom to becoem the greats that they became

probert kept teams honest

its part of hockey, always has and always should be
Different eras. This isn't the golden age of the enforcer.

Feds and Lids played what, two full seasons with Probert?

Look I'm not opposed to hockey fights -- far from it -- I just don't buy the notion that we are gonna get streamrolled by the big, bad East.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post

Different eras. This isn't the golden age of the enforcer.

Feds and Lids played what, two full seasons with Probert?

Look I'm not opposed to hockey fights -- far from it -- I just don't buy the notion that we are gonna get streamrolled by the big, bad East.
i think the East simply play a much tougher, stronger in your face style of game.

not saying the west dosent to some extent but no team in the west stacks up against boston, philly, or toronto

the golden era of the enforcer you're right is dead but not because fighting has stopped but because the fighters can now also play the game and take regular shifts.

i just think they still play a valuable role, even more so in the easta nd even more so for teams with a lot of young small skilled guys in particular rookies(its one of the reasons why the oilers stars get run all over the ice, who is gonna stop anyone form doing it?)

Old
02-25-2013, 11:28 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

How do I feel about it? I'd love it, best news I've heard this week.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Bob Duff ‏@asktheduffer
HNIC reporting #redwings would be in East in #NHL realignment in div. with #bruins/#sabres/#leafs/#habs/#senators/#panthers/#TBlightning.
nice

Quote:
i think the East simply play a much tougher, stronger in your face style of game.
I dont agree w this comment at all. The West has always been the bigger, tougher conf. while the East has been filled w slightly more "skilled" players. The Cap equaled both conf. out a bit, but I still see Western teams as a much "stronger" conf. The east is perfect for Detroit, as it fits their style of play.

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:49 AM
newfy

Quote:
In the past three seasons we are 13-3 against those collective teams in the Northeast division.
Yeah and this is the first season in the last three where Toronto and Buffalo are two of the toughest in the league
Quote:

Yeah the West has more grind it out physical teams, but that division has teams that do that and will pummel you too

Quote:
Nashville doesnt compare to any of those teams lol. St Louis is fairly physical and tough and look how often people on here complain about Backes and Jackman rough up this wings team. Replace that with Lucic and Chara and see how rattled people get. Not to mention teams like Philly more often as well

I dont want to see this happen to someone like Zetterberg because Holland refuses to acknowledge that division is tough. Zetterberg gets ran, Tatar gets dropped and then Kronwall gets laughed at while fighting:

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Clark4Ever

Leaf fan coming in peace.

I really hope that this realignment plan comes to fruition for the sole reason of having you guys back where you belong.

I'd be willing to live with the Florida teams in our division if it would reinvigorate one of the most storied rivalries in professional sports. It would also add much more intrigue to the Winter Classic.

Fingers crossed!

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post
I dont agree w this comment at all. The West has always been the bigger, tougher conf. while the East has been filled w slightly more "skilled" players. The Cap equaled both conf. out a bit, but I still see Western teams as a much "stronger" conf. The east is perfect for Detroit, as it fits their style of play.
Agree with your non-agreement.

I see it exactly the same way. Still can't believe this could be true. It's just too good to be true.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
nice

yes the east has more skill it also had and uses more tough guys

again their is not any team in the west remotely close to the Bruins, Flyers or Leafs.

look at Montreal, they were the weakest team physically for years and also terrible(except one lucky run), the minute they added prust and some others now all of a sudden their guys have a bit of swagger, guys like Galchenyuk can actually play and develop and Plekanec has already said its one of the sole reasons for their play this year as they're not playing scared all the time.

just look at what weber did to zetts last april, it was sickening and embrassing to watch not the hit but our teams reaction to it.

kh already conceded to this fact by bringing in tootoo and if we go east and add even more rookies to our lineup(like we all hope and expect) we best be readya nd capable of policing the game a bit better so they dont become easy targets

Old
02-25-2013, 12:08 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Leaf fan coming in peace.

I really hope that this realignment plan comes to fruition for the sole reason of having you guys back where you belong.

I'd be willing to live with the Florida teams in our division if it would reinvigorate one of the most storied rivalries in professional sports. It would also add much more intrigue to the Winter Classic.

Fingers crossed!
This would easily become my favorite conference based on our rivalry with the Leafs.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:11 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:

not saying the west dosent to some extent but no team in the west stacks up against boston, philly, or toronto
If this is the case, then what has Detroit been doing to Boston these last couple of years?

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Leafs, Habs, Bruins, Sabres...that's hockey, man. It's a shame it's happening just as we turn crap. I guess that's karma!

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I really don't care about who is in the division as long as the travel gets easier.

02-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
If this is the case, then what has Detroit been doing to Boston these last couple of years?
yah I guess you're right

playing a team maybe once every other year is the same as playing them 6 or 7 times every year

give me a break

and please dont take or use quotes out of context.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Quote:
yes the east has more skill it also had and uses more tough guys

again their is not any team in the west remotely close to the Bruins, Flyers or Leafs.

look at Montreal, they were the weakest team physically for years and also terrible(except one lucky run), the minute they added prust and some others now all of a sudden their guys have a bit of swagger, guys like Galchenyuk can actually play and develop and Plekanec has already said its one of the sole reasons for their play this year as they're not playing scared all the time.

Exactly my point. Montreal had to add these players to not only make themselves more physical, but also added those players to be on "par" with other teams, in comparison to the size and skill the West possess.

Quote:
just look at what weber did to zetts last april, it was sickening and embrassing to watch not the hit but our teams reaction to it.

kh already conceded to this fact by bringing in tootoo and if we go east and add even more rookies to our lineup(like we all hope and expect) we best be readya nd capable of policing the game a bit better so they dont become easy targets
Again, proving my point. KH knew he had to add a big body to his core of forwards to stack up night in and night out to the physical play the West possess.

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:33 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Look what Boston has consistently done to teams in their division. Buffalo, Toronto and Montreal all toughened up and Toronto and the Habs are doing much better this year partially because of it.

Did you miss all of Buffalo/Boston last year?

You honestly think replacing maybe one guy in the wings line up with a tougher player is going to kill the teams ability to win games? The bottom 6 hasnt done anything all year except for Tootoo really but one of them cant be replaced for one tougher guy to handle some of the guys in that division?

I'm sure the first time Lucic is out there suckerpunching someone on the wings and no one can take him on that all you fans will be really happy we have Eaves or Miller for their 5 goals a season and mediocre PKing ability

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Jurky
Free the HolySlapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Look what Boston has consistently done to teams in their division. Buffalo, Toronto and Montreal all toughened up and Toronto and the Habs are doing much better this year partially because of it.

Did you miss all of Buffalo/Boston last year?

You honestly think replacing maybe one guy in the wings line up with a tougher player is going to kill the teams ability to win games? The bottom 6 hasnt done anything all year except for Tootoo really but one of them cant be replaced for one tougher guy to handle some of the guys in that division?

I'm sure the first time Lucic is out there suckerpunching someone on the wings and no one can take him on that all you fans will be really happy we have Eaves or Miller for their 5 goals a season and mediocre PKing ability
I'm with Newfy on this one, I hate having to play St Louis as many times as we do because they can bully us and push us around. The idea of being a division rival with Boston is just scary, Boston>> St. Louis in terms of toughness.
That said I don't think it'll be a big issue because if you look at how the Preds and Blues got bigger and stronger KH brought in Tootoo to help us. If we move to a division with the Bruins, the Leafs, and the Sabres I gotta think he'll bring in a few more tough guys so that we don't get owned.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Exactly my point. Montreal had to add these players to not only make themselves more physical, but also added those players to be on "par" with other teams, in comparison to the size and skill the West possess.

Again, proving my point. KH knew he had to add a big body to his core of forwards to stack up night in and night out to the physical play the West possess.
i dont understand your first point whatsoever

the west may play a more grinding/low skilled style of game, ok i will agree on that, but it is not as nasty as the east, nor is their as much hatred amongest the teams, the games arent as physically punishing either.

i am sorry but stl/nashville would get steamrolled by boston if they had to play them 6 or 7 times a season, every season and then again in the playoffs

Old
02-25-2013, 01:21 PM
icKx

We already have four or five players who will drop the gloves. How many do you guys want?

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Jurky
Free the HolySlapper

Quote:
We already have four or five players who will drop the gloves. How many do you guys want?
They are all either bad fighters (would get embarrassed against legit tough guys) or guys that we can't afford to lose for 5 minutes (like Big Rig and Smith), The only exception is Tootoo.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:26 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Tootoo is the only real fighter who could take on someone bigger than him.

Ericsson can rag doll Ott. That's about it. Abdelkader and Eaves aren't really fighters and usually get owned.

I don't want to add a pure goon though. Tootoo is perfect, since he adds more than just a pure fighter.

I'd give someone like Mike Rupp or Konopka a chance. 4th line center who can win vital faceoffs and take on pretty much anyone in the league.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:38 PM
BinCookin

So lets say this is the setup:

7 team conf
7 team conf
8 team conf
8 team conf

(Lets assume this maximizes travel time - supposedly 'close enough')

How do you deal with the playoff brackets so that things are fair.

I suggest this:

Each conference takes their top 3 teams to create a bracket of 1-6 on each side.

Then EVERY team in the league competes (based on point totals) for 4 "wild cards"
I.E. the next best 4 teams in hockey get to be the 7th and 8th seed for each conference.

EVEN if you are from the "east" you could make the "west" playoffs via the wild card.
You could argue about the playoff travel time affected for the top seeds... but that is the only negative I can think of.

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote