HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyson Barrie

Old
02-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Zaphod

vCash: 500
I haven't seen such puck poise in an Avs defenseman since, say... 2004?

Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:39 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
I don't think confidence was ever an issue with Barrie. He always struck me as a guy that almost had too much of it. Combine it with a few junior moves and it looked like a guy that was trying to force things but that's part of learning what works and doesn't work at the NHL level.

The only blessing of EJ's concussion is that Sacco had to play Barrie and I don't think he's going to give up his 20 minutes a game without a fight.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:46 AM
skip2mybordeleau
We're not that good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I don't think confidence was ever an issue with Barrie. He always struck me as a guy that almost had too much of it. Combine it with a few junior moves and it looked like a guy that was trying to force things but that's part of learning what works and doesn't work at the NHL level.

The only blessing of EJ's concussion is that Sacco had to play Barrie and I don't think he's going to give up his 20 minutes a game without a fight.
this will be a test for sacco, when Ej comes back, hopefully barrie's ice time doesnt take too much of a hit, i will feel alot more comfortable if we have either barrie or EJ on the ice for 40+ mins a game.

i'm already so sick of zanon.

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
this will be a test for sacco, when Ej comes back, hopefully barrie's ice time doesnt take too much of a hit, i will feel alot more comfortable if we have either barrie or EJ on the ice for 40+ mins a game.

i'm already so sick of zanon.
Nachos
With Hunny, ROB and Zanon in the line-up.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:43 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Hopefully the Avs are able to find a partner for EJ, and then they an have EJ's pairing along with Hejda-Barrie out there for roughly 50 minutes a night. Then, if they decide to keep Elliott up, they can play Elliott against the weaker competition and for offensive opportunities.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Hopefully the Avs are able to find a partner for EJ, and then they an have EJ's pairing along with Hejda-Barrie out there for roughly 50 minutes a night. Then, if they decide to keep Elliott up, they can play Elliott against the weaker competition and for offensive opportunities.
A Wilson-O'Brien/Elliott isn't a bad third pairing either.
They should play below 15 mins yes.
So if we sometimes would be completely healthy in D then a partner for EJ is basically the only (albeit a difficult) thing we need to fill out the D-corps.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:42 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I think part of that is coaching. Sacco was using him sparingly and whenever Barrie made a big mistake, exiled him to the press box.

Part of a coach's responsibility is to put his players in a place to succeed. Sacco hadn't done that with Barrie until he was forced to, and now the kid is playing with confidence.

Elliott's got a ton of rust to shake off yet. I still question the logic of calling him up when he should've gotten some games in Lake Erie to get his legs back. I just don't get why Sacco doesn't at least TRY putting O'Brien in there--the guy has moderate puck skill, certainly better than Zanax and O'Byrne.
I actually thinking the benching might have accidentally helped. Now Barrie knows that no matter how badly he screws up, the other defensemen suck so much that the worst case scenario is he sits a couple games until someone else sucks so hard that they need to sit and Tyson gets another shot.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
I haven't seen such puck poise in an Avs defenseman since, say... 2004?
Shattenkirk.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:17 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
I actually thought that Elliott was possibly better than Barrie yesterday against the Ducks. Stef made some nice one on one plays while defending against both Perry and Ryan and got some nice point shots through.

Good to see that both of these guys are in the lineup every game and improving. You can see their confidence growing, especially in Elliott's game.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sakic View Post
Shattenkirk.
Four dudes in this picture, but only one true legend... he of the puck poise.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:24 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I actually thought that Elliott was possibly better than Barrie yesterday against the Ducks. Stef made some nice one on one plays while defending against both Perry and Ryan and got some nice point shots through.

Good to see that both of these guys are in the lineup every game and improving. You can see their confidence growing, especially in Elliott's game.
Agreed. Elliott is starting to get his legs underneath him a little bit. If the Avs keep both Barrie and Elliott, the right side looks real good for the future with EJ-Barrie-Elliott. Then the only spot that needs filled is the top pairing left side.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:37 AM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking. Hejda-Barrie is kind of a rough top pairing but they'd be very serviceable as the second pairing. We've got to add a #2 defenseman. Hopefully the oreilly trade will bring in a 22-25 year old legit #2.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:04 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

i would like to see EJ & Barrie play together for a bit, move Elliot up to play with Hedja on the 2nd line and run with that for a bit to see how it goes.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:11 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
i would like to see EJ & Barrie play together for a bit, move Elliot up to play with Hedja on the 2nd line and run with that for a bit to see how it goes.
Sacco never puts a RH defenceman on the left side...unless absolutely necessary due to a shortness of bodies. I don't see it happening.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Why would you break up the Hejda - Barrie pairing? Both players have looked better than they have in very long time since being put together.

If it ain't broke...

Find other ways to fix the other two pairs instead.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:

I'm still waiting for him to start showing the offensive flare in his game he did last season. I don't doubt it will come, but where are the end-end rushes and outstanding wristers? He hasn't been as dangerous offensively as I expected, perhaps in part due to the same problem he has been having all season by playing with weak partners. Zanon or Hunwick should not be with him, we need him to get put up with EJ or Barrie to be if he's more comfortable on the left.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:19 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I'm still waiting for him to start showing the offensive flare in his game he did last season. I don't doubt it will come, but where are the end-end rushes and outstanding wristers? He hasn't been as dangerous offensively as I expected, perhaps in part due to the same problem he has been having all season by playing with weak partners. Zanon or Hunwick should not be with him, we need him to get put up with EJ or Barrie to be if he's more comfortable on the left.
As RS said above. Sacco doesn't use right shot defensemen on the left unless he has no other choice. That and EJ never plays well on the left. I haven't seen much of Barrie on the left so I can't say there. The best case is if we get EJ a partner for his left side and Wilson comes back and plays well.

ROR Trade-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Elliott

Old
02-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
As RS said above. Sacco doesn't use right shot defensemen on the left unless he has no other choice. That and EJ never plays well on the left. I haven't seen much of Barrie on the left so I can't say there. The best case is if we get EJ a partner for his left side and Wilson comes back and plays well.

ROR Trade-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Elliott
So fire Sacco?

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:20 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
It will come. I think for now he's just nervous to make defensive mistakes so he isn't taking as many chances as he probably could.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1000
Quote:
So fire Sacco?
That wouldn't change the fact that you're putting either EJ or Barrie on their off-side, where they might not be comfortable -- or capable.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:39 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Why would you break up the Hejda - Barrie pairing? Both players have looked better than they have in very long time since being put together.

If it ain't broke...

Find other ways to fix the other two pairs instead.
the only reason i would is so that it can take pressure off EJ on the top pairing. you give him a solid defender who can take over the offensive duties and allow EJ to be strictly a defender and chip in here and there on offense and it makes him so much more of a lethal Dman.

Elliot on offense can have a similar impact to that Barrie's for Hejda. this then shuffles the lines to the players proper roles. Hunwick,O'Brien,O'Byrne & etc get to play as 3rd pairing or lower. as it should be.

Quote:
Sacco never puts a RH defenceman on the left side...unless absolutely necessary due to a shortness of bodies. I don't see it happening.
Sacco doesn't do a lot of stuff, he rarely gives rookie D man run but the injury to EJ forced him to change that philosophy so hopefully he will come out of his normal way of thinking and expand to trying different things(yes i know this isn't going to happen, but still, it'd be nice to see)

Old
02-25-2013, 01:42 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
That wouldn't change the fact that you're putting either EJ or Barrie on their off-side, where they might not be comfortable -- or capable.
i'm just talking about testing some things out here. if it doesn't work you shuffle Barrie back to the 2nd line with Hejda and no fuss no muss.
but to not try it at all is silly. Barrie might already be the 2nd best D man we have behind EJ.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:
It will come. I think for now he's just nervous to make defensive mistakes so he isn't taking as many chances as he probably could.
Elliott was really snakebit in the games I saw in LEM this year. He tried to get it going offensively by jumping up in the play but didn't get anything for it.

All things considered I think he's settled down the last two-three games.

To Sacco's credit he's sticking with the guy because he wants the mobility and puck moving from the back end. For a coach that needs to win, it takes quite a bit of courage.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

They switched Derek Morris to his off-side so he could be paired with Rob Blake, and after some initial problems, finally worked. Too bad David Ling's fist pretty much derailed all that.

I think a Barrie/EJ pairing would work just fine. In fact I think it'd be better than fine, but I'll admit I think the Barrie/Hejda pairing is doing okay thus far. At least Hejda has quit his Martin Skoula impression of late.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:50 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
i'm just talking about testing some things out here. if it doesn't work you shuffle Barrie back to the 2nd line with Hejda and no fuss no muss.
but to not try it at all is silly. Barrie might already be the 2nd best D man we have behind EJ.
I think you need to let Barrie get fully comfortable at the NHL level before you mess with his position. It is too soon to try it simply because it might destroy the confidence he has built so far if it goes badly. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it late this season or next season though.