HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 11:12 PM
metric

vCash: 500
I know it's preseason but they look GOOD. Manneh and Mattocks speed are going to give defenders fits. I think Manneh actually has better finishing than Mattocks did last year. Kobayashi looks extremely solid in the middle. Salgado, although I haven't heard much about him during preseason, being healthy will greatly help our left side.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:21 AM
crazycanuck

@TEAM1040

The @whitecapsfc make it official, adding Honduran international Johnny Leveron.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:19 PM
blueschooler

Love the depth the team is developing here

Old
02-19-2013, 01:49 PM
orcatown

Hondurans have an excellent team so he does add something

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/s...321/story.html

Could be that the bolstering back end because of concerns about DeMerit's health issues.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:53 PM
metric

Can't imagine Mitchell stays as he's 5th on the depth chart and takes up an international roster spot. But I think Rennie is still pretty high on him so, who knows.

I wonder what's the latest on Reo-Coker.

I'm somewhat hoping we can sign a Canadian or two simply so we can loan out guys like Alderson and Clarke (sounds like Teibert may start cracking our squad consistently this year) can get loaned out.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:24 PM
orcatown

Playing live here

http://uslnation.com/index_dynamic.a...%20@%20Houston

Old
02-20-2013, 06:03 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Can't imagine Mitchell stays as he's 5th on the depth chart and takes up an international roster spot. But I think Rennie is still pretty high on him so, who knows.

I wonder what's the latest on Reo-Coker.

I'm somewhat hoping we can sign a Canadian or two simply so we can loan out guys like Alderson and Clarke (sounds like Teibert may start cracking our squad consistently this year) can get loaned out.
Mitchell is #4 on our depth chart now behind OB, Jay and Rusin (I get the sense Leveron is not being brought in as a CB but as an upgrade at LB over Harvey). He's decent quality (fantastic in the air in the 5 or 6 games I've seen him in). He's one of the few that played today that looked like they could actually handle the MLS level.

Sounds like Reo-Coker's rights, which are held by Portland, are not coming cheap. Portland had to make a trade with Seattle to get the rights to the vet (35 year old) Silvestre. It really makes it seem like the Timbers are quite jealous we got a prime aged quality player and are trying to price gouge us out of spite. Hopefully the league steps in.

Also Tiebert hasn't looked great this year (for Canada or the Caps) and I really don't see him getting much playing time unless he picks up his game. Our depth is really quite amazing now but it has kind of pushed RT off the first team picture.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Crows*

Excuse my ignorance. Have the caps improved?

Old
02-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Crows*

Seems like a good siding. 28, lots of premier league experience.

http://www.prostamerika.com/2013/02/20/77026/77026

Old
02-20-2013, 11:38 PM
metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Also Tiebert hasn't looked great this year (for Canada or the Caps) and I really don't see him getting much playing time unless he picks up his game. Our depth is really quite amazing now but it has kind of pushed RT off the first team picture.
Have you watched him as a CM? Because that's where lots of the reporters, and Martin Rennie, are saying he has looked solid. I haven't watched any preseason so I don't know.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:28 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Excuse my ignorance. Have the caps improved?
A lot. Night and Day really (though the whole league seems to improve year to year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Have you watched him as a CM? Because that's where lots of the reporters, and Martin Rennie, are saying he has looked solid. I haven't watched any preseason so I don't know.
He doesn't seem to have the pace for outside. I think he played CM today, he was unnoticeable (though there wasn't much support anywhere else on the park)

Old
02-21-2013, 02:55 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Nigel Reo-Coker signed

Old
02-21-2013, 10:52 AM
gurfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Nigel Reo-Coker signed
I must say, this is the type of signing that I have been waiting for. Very excited to see what he can do. From reading the papers about him, he's much more of a holding midfielder than an attacking guy (sounds like he is a better version of Davidson) than a simple replacement for Robson. Doesn't sound like a super high risk signing as this doesn't use a DP slot, though depending on how he does it could get there in the future. Rennie apparently did a good job on selling the club to Reo-Coker instead of Portland (woot!).

Just very happy about everything in this signing, it really gives us that extra strength & not to mention depth in the middle of the park that is so huge.

(small article from the Sun)
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/0...the-whitecaps/

Last edited by gurfling: 02-21-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: (oops was thinking about Koffie, meant Robson)
Old
02-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Alan Jackson

I'm pretty excited to see how Nigel Reo Coker performs here. He was a pretty highly touted player once, U21 international and once on the fringes of the England squad.

He's played for some big clubs, and though he's been pretty underwhelming (Nigel Mediocre), that was at a higer level than MLS.

I especially like that he's still fairly young and if he's not taking up a DP slot, this looks to be a fairly promising addition. Can't wait for March 2.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurfling View Post
I must say, this is the type of signing that I have been waiting for. Very excited to see what he can do. From reading the papers about him, he's much more of a holding midfielder than an attacking guy (sounds like he is a better version of Davidson) than a simple replacement for Robson. Doesn't sound like a super high risk signing as this doesn't use a DP slot, though depending on how he does it could get there in the future. Rennie apparently did a good job on selling the club to Reo-Coker instead of Portland (woot!).

Just very happy about everything in this signing, it really gives us that extra strength & not to mention depth in the middle of the park that is so huge.

(small article from the Sun)
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/0...the-whitecaps/
I agree it's a great signing as long as he can keep his head on straight.

My dad is a life-long West Ham supporter and he's known as a complete headcase. Pretty evident considering he's out-of-work at 28 and not long ago was an England international.

Hopefully he's more mature and humbled by everything by now. If he is, brilliant low risk signing by Vancouver.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:07 PM
gurfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post
I agree it's a great signing as long as he can keep his head on straight.

My dad is a life-long West Ham supporter and he's known as a complete headcase. Pretty evident considering he's out-of-work at 28 and not long ago was an England international.

Hopefully he's more mature and humbled by everything by now. If he is, brilliant low risk signing by Vancouver.
Ahh okay, thanks for that, I was wondering why he could only get short term deals at 28, I couldn't find anything out there on that. Will be interesting to see how he gets along then.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Reports are saying, that if he plays up to his "talent" he should be the BEST player in the league.

Does anybody know his foot speed?

Old
02-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...igel-Reo-Coker

video!

Old
02-21-2013, 03:29 PM
gurfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Cool, thanks for the link.

I've read a bunch of stuff on him (that's how excited I am), and his foot speed was never mentioned, so I take from that, that he's neither fast nor slow.

I also wouldn't expect many goals or assists, seems more like a defensive stalwart who does what it takes to win.

I would hold off on best player in the league, if there's one thing I have seen, there is always an adjustment period coming into the MLS, most of these european guys coming over have very limited playing time on turf as opposed to grass. Also, as another poster has said, he has had some issues recently, so there's that as well. Having said that, I hope that he adjusts fast and to see him become the rock in front of the back four by the middle of the year. The type of player that solidifies the team, and allows the more creative guys more time on the ball by his ball winning abilities.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:10 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Reo-Coker has the talent, but it is his mental side that has held him back.

Hopefully he fits in well in Vancouver but, as we have seen with Jarju, Robson & Miller, we need to be careful with our expectations. Reo-Coker's not an offensive threat, so don't expect many goals.

02-21-2013, 04:36 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Reo-Coker has the talent, but it is his mental side that has held him back.

Hopefully he fits in well in Vancouver but, as we have seen with Jarju, Robson & Miller, we need to be careful with our expectations. Reo-Coker's not an offensive threat, so don't expect many goals.
If it is indeed mental issues, I can't think of many better coaches than Rennie to be handling it. He might have even been able to get through with Hodgson..

Old
02-21-2013, 04:56 PM
LongRoad

He's been terrible the last couple of seasons. Ipswich fans (Championship team) were glad to see the back of him and apparently nobody missed him in Bolton either. I'm not writing him off by any means, but it's been a long time since he's been the player that a lot of you are clamouring for. That's not to say that he can't get there, but Barry Robson was getting good reviews with M'Boro in the Championship before he came over and we all know how that turned out. Reo-Coker will have to elevate his game from the effort he's been putting in England recently if he wants to succeed here.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Sproo

I'm really stoked for this season. They've played really well in the preseason--the rookies look dangerous, and the new veteran additions are looking like some serious upgrades to what was, IMO, a pretty good team to begin with.

I'm interested in people's starting 11. After a bit of procrastination-induced spreadsheet geekery I came up with this:

I'd also like to invite Caps fans to submit their own starting 11 and player ratings at http://whitecapsratings.blogspot.com. It's basically just the above google spreadsheet which averages user-submitted rating forms to update the starting 11. Let's give Martin Rennie a hand!

Old
02-24-2013, 08:36 PM
YogiCanucks

So much depth it's hard to tell what the starting XI will be.

If I had to guess

Cannon
Lee - O'Brien - Rusin - Rochat
Kobe - Koffie - Reo-Coker
Mattocks - Miller - Manneh

Old
02-25-2013, 03:06 PM
metric

As [somewhat] expected the Caps have added Canadian Simon Thomas as our third string keeper. This opens up the possibility for a couple of our young Canadians to go out on loan. I actually hope this means they sign Fisk and loan him out. Just not enough minutes in reserves and PDL for him. We'll have our three Canadians in Rochat/Teibert/Thomas. Alderson, Clarke and Fisk can go on loan, though I doubt all three would.

Last edited by metric: 02-25-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Closed Thread