HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - 2012-13 (Part XI)

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 01:21 PM
pcanuck

vCash: 500
If I'm Chevy, my thought is to rid the cupboard of the nasty problems that plague this team (our D, G, PK). We need to continue to draft and develop. That means no young talented RFA leave - this includes Wheeler, Little, Burmi, Tangradi, Peluso, Postma and Redmond. They shouldn't be touched.

Those who I'd send packing:

Jokinen - didn't work out, we have Scheifele next year
- trade to Chicago for maybe a 2/3 rounder

Antropov - waiver wire

Wellwood - not getting enough ice time
- trade to Vancouver for 4-5th rounder; they need a centre with FO skills

Miettinen - injured only 99% of the time, waiver wire

Wright - has shown nothing, send him to the waiver wire

Byfuglien - offensive potential but no defensive skills at all
- at high end, could likely get a late 1st rounder and maybe another 3rd for him
and Columbus has a large number of picks to play with

Hainsey - put on waiver wire and send down to AHL when not picked up; he may eat
minutes but his giveaways are a significant factor

Enstrom - injured two years in a row, he's 28 and will get more injury prone but he has
significant offensive upside and defensive skills
- could be marketable to a playoff team that need scoring from the D (the Devils/
Ducks are a perfect fit and we land a 1st and a 3rd for him)

Clitsome - to the waiver wire we go but he's not absolutely horrific on D

Pavelec - we have 2 buyouts, use one and get rid of his terrible contract and let's move
on

This opens up the door to adding some salary at FA again with Corey Perry and many others available when other teams will be cap stressed. We can also pay Bogo what he's worth on say a 6-7 year deal. Burmi, Wheeler, Little can all get locked up for 2/3 year deals. And we have several more draft picks to add to this team in year or two. We get instantly better on D and look for SCORING HELP in FA and the draft. That's draft and develop.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:22 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Not sure where Burmi would slot in for you guys, I thought Backes/Steen/Bergkund were all pretty entrenched at Center? Or is Steen playing wing this year again?

Either way, Jets would be looking for anyone 25 and under or high picks.
Steen is better suited on the wing. He is a good fill-in, and can do the job at center, but he is more effective on the wing. This is the first time he is playing center for us, and he has been improving, but he looks most comfortable on the wing.

Burmi would be a great 3rd line center for us, and could potentially form a great partnership with Tarasenko. We pretty much roll 3 2nd lines with the Backes line getting the most playing time, so Burmi would still get plenty of opportunities.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:26 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
If I'm Chevy, my thought is to rid the cupboard of the nasty problems that plague this team (our D, G, PK). We need to continue to draft and develop. That means no young talented RFA leave - this includes Wheeler, Little, Burmi, Tangradi, Peluso, Postma and Redmond. They shouldn't be touched.

Antropov - waiver wire

- at high end, could likely get a late 1st rounder and maybe another 3rd for him

Hainsey - put on waiver wire and send down to AHL when not picked up; he may eat

Enstrom - injured two years in a row, he's 28 and will get more injury prone but he has
- could be marketable to a playoff team that need scoring from the D (the Devils/

Pavelec - we have 2 buyouts, use one and get rid of his terrible contract and let's move
on

This opens up the door to adding some salary at FA again with Corey Perry and many others available when other teams will be cap stressed. We can also pay Bogo what he's worth on say a 6-7 year deal. Burmi, Wheeler, Little can all get locked up for 2/3 year deals. And we have several more draft picks to add to this team in year or two. We get instantly better on D and look for SCORING HELP in FA and the draft. That's draft and develop.
So much wrong in one post.
Just to start you're waiving players (Antro, Hainsey) with good trade value. I'm not on a computer, so I don't feel like responding to each player individually but wow I disagree with so much here.
Also in NO way are we better on D from these moves. In fact we are WAY WORSE.
And if you think Wright has shown nothing I'm not sure what you've been watching.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:27 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
I really don't want to give up Burmistrov yet his offensive potential is really high if he ever figures it out. In all honesty I have no freakin' clue what he is going to do scoring wise he could be anywhere from a 30 point guy to a 65+ plus guy. I'm sure some would disagree but to me he is starting to make the correct plays more often and is generating more scoring chances lately.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:31 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

Antropov - waiver wire

on

I if you were Chevy... Well I am glad you aren't Chevy because you seem to have no clue about player contributions of values. If the Jets actually did take too little on every trade and waive tradable assets then he would far and away the worst GM in the league. Not to mention I don't understand why he would make holes that can't be filled internally.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:37 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

Antropov - waiver wire

on

Wright has shown nothing... but Peluso is untouchable after a very underwhelming and weak 10 mins of play... okay? Coach and everyone else seems to think differently...

Byfuglien trade
1) I don't think Byfuglien has great defensive abilities but none is pretty asinine to say... he has a great first pass and a great skater... the thing he's missing is some positional play, which is teachable. You add that and he has the 3 important aspects of being defensively effective; anything anyone else has is just a plus... look at Stuart last year: he blocks and hits but has poor skating, positioning and first pass and 'cos of that he was terribly ineffective and was the D-man that gave up the most scoring oppertunities.
2) you might want to go into history and find an All-star nominated defensemen who goes for a 1st and "maybe" a third rounder... you'll be hard pressed to find them... Byfuglien isn't the only mostly offensive D-man in the NHL

Enstrom injuries: Clavicles are easily broken and due to harsh luck. doesn't matter how big or small you are they snap easily. The shoulder this season could be a chronic injury though and that could be concern but that's only one chronic injury in 6 seasons... Not a great sample size to say injury prone... Bogosian, the same guy as you listed before as a lock up (which I agree about), has had more with his wrist...

THe fact that you think Hainsey is waivable is a joke no offense.

Clitsome is a terrible top4 option but I think he's pretty average for #7 or #8 (remember Noel likes having 8 D, and you can see now with injuries why). He beats competition as long as you shelter him and allow him to only play against bottom 6. You're never going to find a team without a single defenseman who isn't somewhat a liability... because you can't afford 7 all-star 2-way D.

You're going to send Antropov, Miettinen, Clitsome, and Wright to the waiver wire and get nothing for them??? Even if you don't like them you MIGHT get something for the last three and you'd 100% get at least a 2nd rounder for Antropov. This is piss poor management and worse than CBJ has managed their team. That's not how you draft and develop. Good luck banking on Perry and the fictional "many others available" (ask Boston how that turned out for them banking on that last lockout; they were lucky that Chara and a few other things went their way) as you won't be getting too many top notch UFAs signed when you're pulling these weird deals...

Old
02-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Agreed. Dealing Hainsey at this stage really tells the rest of the guys in the room that you have no confidence in their ability to make the playoffs. The D has injuries and has to dress some guys way over their abilities, and they would be trading away their most consistent D man who's playing a tonne of minutes.
I agree Huffer. Dealing Hainsey now says you've given up on the season.

With this crazy shortened season, a few more wins and the Jets could be 1st in SE division.

I'm thinking Chevy might have thought this road trip might have been 1-4-0, and not 3-1-0 so far, and had been talking to teams in preparation for a 'sale'. Maybe now, he might be changing his mind a bit.

Wonder if teams become 'sellers' or 'buyers' from week to week. Caps and Flames may be buyers now, while Sabres might be sellers. Put a good 2 weeks together, might be a buyer again.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Quote:

Antropov - waiver wire

on

Sounds like a scorched earth rebuild to me. It's certainly plausible but I don't think it's as simple as send everyone who isn't performing at a contender's level in their role packing. I'll try to address most of this...

Jokinen could easily go, but with the cap dropping next year and his cap hit at $4.5M, we might get more back for him if we hang onto him and deal him when Scheifele has proven he can handle NHL duty.

Antropov is probably gone as well. Anything we get for him is a plus.

James Wright I think your super wrong on. He has the makings of becoming a pretty effective 3rd liner. Very little offence but that hasn't been his role.

Miettinen, Wellwood I agree who cares they're done at season's end.

Enstrom...uhh who exactly are you planning on replacing him with? I'm pretty sure he also has a NTC. He's not a true #1 defenseman but few are. Works really well with Buff trading him for futures will solve zero defensive woes. It'll make them worse.

Buff...again he has his faults but he's still a relatively young veteran that's scoring 3/4 of a ppg over the last 2.5 years. Trading him for a first rounder is borderline preposterous! What I try to imagine is him as Enstrom as the 2nd pair with Bogo and a young LD playing the real tough competition. Would be a top five defense overall in the league IMO.

Hainsey is a typical #4 defenseman. If he didn't make mistakes while playing against the best in the world he would be...a #1. Look around the upcoming UFA pool for LD. Hainsey is probably the 2nd best one. I'm beginning to think we might have to trade him at the deadline because we won't want to afford what it costs to keep him.

Clitsome. I think everyone knows he's not going to be the #6 on a contender. He's a warm body that's doing a decent job with Toby out. We have zero prospects as good as him in the AHL.

Pavelec is not likely to get bought out IMO. 12M jut to go sign another goalie for half the price that is no better might make hockey sense, but certainly not bottom line sense for TNSE. I'd rarer just wait it out and let him slowly improve his consistency.

It's like you want to get rid of everyone who are not good enough for draft picks. So that they can join the worst team in the NHL by the time they get there?? Try signing a decent UFA when we're DFL in the standings.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:57 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Sounds like a scorched earth rebuild to me. It's certainly plausible but I don't think it's as simple as send everyone who isn't performing at a contender's level in their role packing. I'll try to address most of this...

Jokinen could easily go, but with the cap dropping next year and his cap hit at $4.5M, we might get more back for him if we hang onto him and deal him when Scheifele has proven he can handle NHL duty.

Antropov is probably gone as well. Anything we get for him is a plus.

James Wright I think your super wrong on. He has the makings of becoming a pretty effective 3rd liner. Very little offence but that hasn't been his role.

Miettinen, Wellwood I agree who cares they're done at season's end.

Enstrom...uhh who exactly are you planning on replacing him with? I'm pretty sure he also has a NTC. He's not a true #1 defenseman but few are. Works really well with Buff trading him for futures will solve zero defensive woes. It'll make them worse.

Buff...again he has his faults but he's still a relatively young veteran that's scoring 3/4 of a ppg over the last 2.5 years. Trading him for a first rounder is borderline preposterous! What I try to imagine is him as Enstrom as the 2nd pair with Bogo and a young LD playing the real tough competition. Would be a top five defense overall in the league IMO.

Hainsey is a typical #4 defenseman. If he didn't make mistakes while playing against the best in the world he would be...a #1. Look around the upcoming UFA pool for LD. Hainsey is probably the 2nd best one. I'm beginning to think we might have to trade him at the deadline because we won't want to afford what it costs to keep him.

Clitsome. I think everyone knows he's not going to be the #6 on a contender. He's a warm body that's doing a decent job with Toby out. We have zero prospects as good as him in the AHL.

Pavelec is not likely to get bought out IMO. 12M jut to go sign another goalie for half the price that is no better might make hockey sense, but certainly not bottom line sense for TNSE. I'd rarer just wait it out and let him slowly improve his consistency.

It's like you want to get rid of everyone who are not good enough for draft picks. So that they can join the worst team in the NHL by the time they get there?? Try signing a decent UFA when we're DFL in the standings.
Agree with everything you said except Jokinen he only gets traded if we are 100% giving Little the contract he wants at the end of the season. If not Little goes and Jokinen stays as a stop gap for Scheifele. Now I doubt they don't resign Little but if he wants some thing outrageous who knows.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:58 PM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

vCash: 50
Quote:

Antropov - waiver wire

on

Is this a real post or are you trying to get a rise out of everyone?
- You're saying we go into next season with Montoya and Pasquale in net.
- You're saying Hainsey wouldn't get picked up on waivers.
- you'd trade a player (Jokinen) to a team that doesn't need him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick? You think big, two way centers grow on trees?
- Mittens is injured 99% of the time, so send him to waivers.... Good rationale. I guess the Pens shouldn't have been so patient with Sidney last year. He was injured a lot too.
- Wright has shown nothing, yet I thought last game he was the hardest working Jet. He's been a big factor in the rejuvenated pk and he's TWENTY TWO years old.

I can't keep refuting these points. It's exhausting.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Steen is better suited on the wing. He is a good fill-in, and can do the job at center, but he is more effective on the wing. This is the first time he is playing center for us, and he has been improving, but he looks most comfortable on the wing.

Burmi would be a great 3rd line center for us, and could potentially form a great partnership with Tarasenko. We pretty much roll 3 2nd lines with the Backes line getting the most playing time, so Burmi would still get plenty of opportunities.
Okay got it. I'm assuming since you guys are Cup contenders that no one from the potential playoff roster will be going anywhere. Burmistrov's stock has dropped a bit I'm sure but for Hainsey and Burmistrov a 1st rounder would pretty much be a given. What center prospects do the Blues have? Or maybe a future RW that can score if Alex was going the other way.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:11 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post

A playoff team shouldn't count on Burmistrov as a center right now IMO. He'll be a heck of a player one day but he's still figuring out how to make the most of his skill.

A team with aspirations of going deep in the playoffs could get a player that is much more effective right now for much less than he'd cost.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
A playoff team shouldn't count on Burmistrov as a center right now IMO. He'll be a heck of a player one day but he's still figuring out how to make the most of his skill.

A team with aspirations of going deep in the playoffs could get a player that is much more effective right now for much less than he'd cost.
Very true.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:18 PM
teucer

Quote:

Antropov - waiver wire

on

I stopped reading after that. James Wright has been a beast since we acquired him and he keeps getting better. Plus he is young and has some upside. I don't know what you expected him to be.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:32 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Row 3 Upper View Post
Is this a real post or are you trying to get a rise out of everyone?
- You're saying we go into next season with Montoya and Pasquale in net.
- You're saying Hainsey wouldn't get picked up on waivers.
- you'd trade a player (Jokinen) to a team that doesn't need him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick? You think big, two way centers grow on trees?
- Mittens is injured 99% of the time, so send him to waivers.... Good rationale. I guess the Pens shouldn't have been so patient with Sidney last year. He was injured a lot too.
- Wright has shown nothing, yet I thought last game he was the hardest working Jet. He's been a big factor in the rejuvenated pk and he's TWENTY TWO years old.

I can't keep refuting these points. It's exhausting.
It is beyond exhausting and I really have a hard time believing anybody actually thinks this way. Perhaps it is an intentional troll job.

Just for fun, this is what these proposed changes would look like on the ice:

On O:
Ladd - Little - Wheeler

Kane - Burmi - ?

? - ? - ?

Tangradi - Slater - Peluso

On D:
Stuart - Bogosian (Stuart is awful)

? - Postma

? - Redmond (Maybe. He may never skate again.)

In net:
Montoya

Pasquale

Added draft picks:

2 - 1st round picks. (should hopefully net 1-2 roster players in 4 years)
2 - 3rd round picks. (not likely to net a roster player ever)
1 - 4th round pick. (not likely to net anything ever)

This is so far beyond logical.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:38 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I've said this many times and it still says true. Current core on a stanley cup team in 2-3 years withour pieces would be:

Kane - AA - Wheeler
Ladd - BB - Little
xx - CC - xx
Wright - Slater - xx
xx

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Bogosian - Trouba
Stuart - Redmond
Postma

Forwards:
As you can see the problem is C. I think it's safe to say that Scheifele + Burmistrov can easily fill two of those but whether either of them succesfully and competently handle the 1C job is the real question. It's unfortunately unlikely, but if it happens Jets will be in a good place as the rest can be covered competently through combination of FA and farm. Question is: what do we do if Scheifele and Burmistrov are destined for 2/3C? Well anything could happen, or nothing... Unfortunately.

Defense I actually have no worries. Watching Bogosian play with Byfuglien and Redmond after Enstrom's injury I really think that he could be groomed to play his offside with Trouba, and as they develop, they can overtake Enstrom-Byfuglien for top pair.

Goaltending... Start praying.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:41 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

I agree, but that line has played well of late and Olli is still on the team.

If the Kane line can produce at a 2nd line level (45-50ish points over a full season or 26-29ish this year) and Olli stays on the 3rd line that is OK depth for a fringe playoff team.

The Jets clearly don't have a great roster, but it isn't that bad IMO.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongs21 View Post
How would you guys feel about getting Whitney from Edm to help out on D? that is if we could get him for a mid-low round pick, and also if Buff is out for a while
Ugh. Whitney. He's got a great first pass but man he's butter soft. If we are picking up a defenseman I sure as hell hope we get someone who can play defense and has a bit of a mean streak in his own end.

02-25-2013, 02:59 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 831
Quote:

Antropov - waiver wire

on

Too much wrong with this post to even go through it. Wow. I'll just summarize it:
Step 1. misjudge talent/value of half the team
Step 2. put valuable players on waivers, buy them out or give them away for late picks
Step 3. ???
Step 4. success

Old
02-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongs21 View Post
How would you guys feel about getting Whitney from Edm to help out on D? that is if we could get him for a mid-low round pick, and also if Buff is out for a while
Not interested in Whitney for any asset besides one that we don't even want. Even then, I would question if playing Whitney is better than just giving those minutes to Melchiori.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:12 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I agree, but that line has played well of late and Olli is still on the team.

If the Kane line can produce at a 2nd line level (45-50ish points over a full season or 26-29ish this year) and Olli stays on the 3rd line that is OK depth for a fringe playoff team.

The Jets clearly don't have a great roster, but it isn't that bad IMO.
That fine. I'm happy to have Burmistrov and if he's ever able to get as much as possible out of his skills he'll be an incredibly effective player.

But playoff teams aren't looking for guys that 'has played well of late'. They're looking for proven guys that they know exactly what they'll get.

Trading for Burmistrov means paying a price that has more to do with the player he may be one day, rather than the player his is now.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:19 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
That fine. I'm happy to have Burmistrov and if he's ever able to get as much as possible out of his skills he'll be an incredibly effective player.

But playoff teams aren't looking for guys that 'has played well of late'. They're looking for proven guys that they know exactly what they'll get.

Trading for Burmistrov means paying a price that has more to do with the player he may be one day, rather than the player his is now.
I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the Jets have no chance at the playoffs. I still think they have an outside chance. That is all I was getting at.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:38 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the Jets have no chance at the playoffs. I still think they have an outside chance. That is all I was getting at.
Ah, ya, sorry. I re-read my original post and it was a bit ambiguous.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:41 PM
JetsHomer

People want to trade Jokinen? You don't sign the best veteran center on the market, give him an A then trade him 17 games later. Or do you guys never want to sign another big free agent again? Players remember what teams are loyal to their players

Last edited by JetsHomer: 02-25-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 05:58 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 720
You can always count on pcanuck to spark some serious debate.

Closed Thread