HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

My Scouting Reports Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

vCash: 500
My Scouting Reports Thread

Hey guys, I felt like since I've been going to as many WHL games as possible. I feel like I could help some of the fellow draft fanatics in some scouting reports I've tried to put together.

Any requests on certain players I will try and do, but only if I have seen them live.

Quote:
Madison Bowey - RD - Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
April 22, 1995 - 6'01" - 194 lbs - Right Shot - Eligible for 2013

A reliable two-way defenseman that has the ability to create offense almost every shift. Quick edges with a strong shot from the blueline, has the ability to make a strong first pass out of the zone and is always willing to join the rush, a speedy defenseman who's balance and edgework needs to improve. His defensive game is sub-par, needs to use his frame and be more physical in front of the net and along the boards, great stickwork to get rid of any scoring opportunities, plays the game at a quick pace which can lead to turnovers, tends to chase the puck a little to often which can lead him to become out of position. His work ethic is there and he will compete every shift. Comparable to a Drew Doughty in terms of his playing style.
Quote:
Myles Bell - LW/D - Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
August 19, 1993 - 6'00" - 210 lbs - Right Shot - Eligible for 2013/Last Eligible Year

Shifting into forward this year, a tenacious player, Bell plays the game hard and phsyical, a player with quick feet, good on the forcheck and a hard hitter when given the opportunity along the boards. Versatile has he is very aware of the defensive side of the game, played defense in previous years and plays the point on the powerplay, an extremely hard and quick released shot hitting at least 95 mph. A powerplay quaterback who can make a good first pass out of the zone. Character issues off the ice and issues with the law scares off teams, but his skill level is not something scouts would pass up. He could work on his conditioning and work ethic, as he tends to take quicker shifts then his linemates.
Quote:
Jesse Lees - RD - Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
September 14, 1995 - 6'00" - 180 lbs - Right Shot - Eligible for 2013

Jesse Lees gets put under the radar by many of his other defensive partners including Madison Bowey and Mitch Wheaton, but Jesse Lees is pure smooth-skating offensive defenseman, quick feet and hands to boot. His quick hockey IQ helps him make smart decisions in the offensive end, his all-around play could improve, very average at best in the defensive end. But that's not his game, his passes are crisp and tape to tape. Used primarily on the powerplay to try and create offense, head up and making the smart and safe play to his linemates. A bit of a project, but could have an extreme upside if he pans out well.
Quote:
Rourke Chartier - LC - Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
April 3, 1996 - 5'10" - 165 lbs - Left Shot - Eligible for 2014

For someone the size of Chartier, his compete level and tenacity is there for him to be considered a top talent. A excellent skater with quick feet and great edgework, he is willing to go on the forecheck and can throw the body around and get the better of his opponents. Not to mention his awareness in all areas of the size, very versatile in where he can be played on any role on the team and still manage to provide. On a deep Rockets team, Rourke plays third line minutes and is one of the Rockets primary PKers. A great player to get the attention from scouts for next years draft as his role will increase on the Rockets.
I have a somewhat limited viewing of both Baillie and Stadel for 2014, but I can still provide little details out there respective games.

Prospects To Do:
- Shea Theodore (2013 - Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Jared Hauf (2013 - Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Jerrett Smith (2013 - Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Roberts Lipsbergs (2013 - Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Connor Honey (2013 - Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Riley Sheen (2013 - Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Keegan Kanzig (2013 - Victoria Royals)
- Brandon Magee (2013 - Victoria Royals)
- Joe Hicketts (2014 - Victoria Royals)
- Eric Comrie (2013 - Tri-City Americans)
- Connor Rankin (2013 - Tri-City Americans)

Last edited by Jamie Benn: 02-25-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:55 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandle Bars View Post
Hey guys, I felt like since I've been going to as many WHL games as possible. I feel like I could help some of the fellow draft fanatics in some scouting reports I've tried to put together.

Any requests on certain players I will try and do, but only if I have seen them live.

I have a somewhat limited viewing of both Baillie and Stadel for 2014, but I can still provide little details out there respective games.

Prospects To Do:
- Shea Theodore (2013 - Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Jared Hauf (2013 - Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Jerrett Smith (2013 - Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Roberts Lipsbergs (2013 - Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Connor Honey (2013 - Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Riley Sheen (2013 - Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Keegan Kanzig (2013 - Victoria Royals)
- Brandon Magee (2013 - Victoria Royals)
- Joe Hicketts (2014 - Victoria Royals)
- Eric Comrie (2013 - Tri-City Americans)
- Connor Rankin (2013 - Tri-City Americans)
Were you there on Saturday?

Lees had a really good game. Laser beam PP goal from the point, in an out of the net in a hurry.

Also had that one forray up the ice that created a very good chance. I actually liked his defensive game, although the Royals didn't create too much.

Bowey, was unimpressive for me outside his two big hits in the last 5 minutes of the game.

Chartier and Baillie looked good too, Baillie looks bigger on the ice than his stats say. Thought he looked at least 6'0".

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:04 PM
CATMAN125

Mr Yandle

Appreciate your insights,

That being said I am glad to see Jesse Lees getting some exposure. He does get overshadowed , But I would have to argue his defensive game has improved a great deal this year. Might be second best All round on the team. His smooth skating and Hockey IQ are obvious ...If he were 10 lbs heavier he would be a solid second rounder.People have to be aware that he is in the 2013 draft by two days Sept 14 1995..He is almost a whole year younger than the group, so he could get stronger by alot.
Hoping the scouts take all into consideration.

As mentioned by arsmaster his shot is very hard and accurate.

Cheers

CATMAN125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

I was at the game on Friday. I've also seen about 5 Rockets games over my time and I can definetly agree on Jesse being an underdog, but this draft extremely deep from all types of leagues, so he goes down to a probable 3rd - 4th rounder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Were you there on Saturday?

Lees had a really good game. Laser beam PP goal from the point, in an out of the net in a hurry.

Also had that one forray up the ice that created a very good chance. I actually liked his defensive game, although the Royals didn't create too much.

Bowey, was unimpressive for me outside his two big hits in the last 5 minutes of the game.

Chartier and Baillie looked good too, Baillie looks bigger on the ice than his stats say. Thought he looked at least 6'0".

Old
02-25-2013, 04:07 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
I disagree with Lees. He is much better defensively than he is offensively, don't see a lot of offensive talent compared to how he see's the game defensively. His stats are overblown due to the team he plays on, that said I am a huge fan of this kid.

E: Great shot though.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:58 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandle Bars View Post
I was at the game on Friday. I've also seen about 5 Rockets games over my time and I can definetly agree on Jesse being an underdog, but this draft extremely deep from all types of leagues, so he goes down to a probable 3rd - 4th rounder.
I did a little blurb on the canucks board about the game.

I'll agree with SEPH that he's more of a solid two way guy than an outright offensive guy, I liked his simplicity in his own zone on Saturday anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I disagree with Lees. He is much better defensively than he is offensively, don't see a lot of offensive talent compared to how he see's the game defensively. His stats are overblown due to the team he plays on, that said I am a huge fan of this kid.

E: Great shot though.
Did you check the highlights of the Saturday game? That shot was a bomb, in and out so fast most of the people I was sitting with had no clue it went in.

Also made a nice forray to the net in the offensize zone (the highlights picked it up).

His stats aren't why I see a good offensive game, it his smarts and ability to make the right play (often the most simple play) almost every time.

Haven't made a list, but I couldn't see him going in the top 2 rounds, unless he starts to dominate in the playoffs.

Thanks Yandle bars for the thread, keep it up.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Mathletic

what about Beau McCue and Parker Bowles from Tri-City

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:00 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 100
If anybody's interested, I can do players from the Eastern Division of the WHL. (Season tickets in Moose Jaw)

sunsoutgunsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:48 PM
CATMAN125

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I did a little blurb on the canucks board about the game.

I'll agree with SEPH that he's more of a solid two way guy than an outright offensive guy, I liked his simplicity in his own zone on Saturday anyways.

Did you check the highlights of the Saturday game? That shot was a bomb, in and out so fast most of the people I was sitting with had no clue it went in.

Also made a nice forray to the net in the offensize zone (the highlights picked it up).

His stats aren't why I see a good offensive game, it his smarts and ability to make the right play (often the most simple play) almost every time.

Haven't made a list, but I couldn't see him going in the top 2 rounds, unless he starts to dominate in the playoffs.

Thanks Yandle bars for the thread, keep it up.
Hi Arsmaster...I was not suggesting he would be a 2nd round....just that if he was a bit bigger in size may have pushed him higher...but all good comments from yourself Yandle Seph...looks like all who watch him like his potential...just surprized he's not on lists..

CATMAN125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:54 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
The Tree was happy.

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Petan Please

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
what about Beau McCue and Parker Bowles from Tri-City
I haven't got a good viewing of those guys, they come again to Victoria soon and I will definetly keep an eye out for those guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
Petan Please
I haven't seen him yet. I will keep an eye on him, Seth Jones and Bjorkstrand when they come to Victoria.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

I'll be going to the game vs Lethbridge tomorrow night.

I'll be keeping an eye on some prospects here.

- Axel Blomqvist (if playing, currently day-to-day)
- Jamal Watson
- Craig Leverton
- Macoy Erkamps
- Joel Topping
- Adam Henry
- Lenny Hackman
- Jaimen Yakubowski
- Sam Mckechnie

- Remi Laurencelle
- Reid Duke
- Tyler Wong
- Ryan Pilon
- Giorgio Estephan

Last edited by Jamie Benn: 02-26-2013 at 09:17 PM.