HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Zip15

vCash: 450
My thoughts are no chance in hell. He'll never coach in the NHL again.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

vCash: 500
no more sabres organization retreads, please. it's time to move forward.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Crazy Tasty

The Ted Nolan hype machine will never die.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:36 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best in the World View Post
Would Nolan be able to come back as Buffalo's head coach? If he was offered the job, would he?

In my opinion, Ted is one of the best coaches out there. (Adams award winner when he coached the Sabres). He really knows how to get a team going especially young players, which would be great for Grigorenko.
Thoughts?

Old
02-25-2013, 10:42 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Would Nolan be able to come back as Buffalo's head coach? If he was offered the job, would he?

In my opinion, Ted is one of the best coaches out there. (Adams award winner when he coached the Sabres). He really knows how to get a team going especially young players, which would be great for Grigorenko.
Thoughts?
My thought is that if he was that good, he'd have a job already.

I can't see Regier hiring Nolan, either.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Best in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
My thought is that if he was that good, he'd have a job already.

I can't see Regier hiring Nolan, either.
Hasn't had a head coach job in the NHL since Buffalo but he's head coach of Latvia's hockey team.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:44 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Personally, I'm less interested in who the next coach is than I am about what the roster will looks like moving forward.

This roster has holes that no head coach can cover up, IMO.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Best in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I take it you don't agree with me. Hahaha.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:48 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Hasn't had a head coach job in the NHL since Buffalo but he's head coach of Latvia's hockey team.
Huh?

He was the head coach of the Islanders for two seasons (06/07 & 07/08).

I just don't think a coach that is all that goes unemployed in the NHL for a decade and then half a decade.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:49 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Excuse me?

Who was the Islanders head coach in 2006-2008?

Ted Nolan fan huh?

Old
02-25-2013, 10:53 AM
JPurp26

The new "entitled" generation has grown up differently than previous generations. I think this plays a role in the evolution of the coach. Assertive coaches are more effective than the authoritarian type of coaches. Young players do not generally respond well to the loud screaming Keenan types anymore. "Player" friendly coaches are becoming more popular and successful because they connect well with the players.

I am growing on Rolston and think that he could have good pull for his former American players to have them perhaps want to come play here. I like that he relies on his best players and will give them larger amounts of ice time.

That being said, I really like Jon Cooper and hope he gets an interview and perhaps the job.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:58 AM
MayDay

Ted Nolan is one of the most overrated figures in all of Buffalo sports history.

He coached two seasons. Made the playoffs once and won a grand total of one playoff series. Whooptee-do. Won a Jack Adams award (so did Lindy, btw) when he managed to win what was an exceptionally weak NE division that year. Seriously, when you win a division with only 92 points, it's mostly because everyone else sucks.

"Oh, but his teams worked hard and over-achieved." Let me tell you something - those teams overachieved because they had the best goaltender in hockey history playing at the absolute prime of his career and peak of his abilities. I think the Hasek of that time could have carried my high school team to the NHL playoffs. Nolan was lucky to be in that situation, and he should have taken the contract extension that was offered to him.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Best in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Excuse me?

Who was the Islanders head coach in 2006-2008?

Ted Nolan fan huh?
Excuse me, I meant to say New York not Buffalo.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Best in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Ted Nolan is one of the most overrated figures in all of Buffalo sports history.

He coached two seasons. Made the playoffs once and won a grand total of one playoff series. Whooptee-do. Won a Jack Adams award (so did Lindy, btw) when he managed to win what was an exceptionally weak NE division that year. Seriously, when you win a division with only 92 points, it's mostly because everyone else sucks.

"Oh, but his teams worked hard and over-achieved." Let me tell you something - those teams overachieved because they had the best goaltender in hockey history playing at the absolute prime of his career and peak of his abilities. I think the Hasek of that time could have carried my high school team to the NHL playoffs. Nolan was lucky to be in that situation, and he should have taken the contract extension that was offered to him.
It was just something I thought of. I'm not saying "Ted Nolan SHOULD be the next head coach" I'm just asking what other people thought of him and his style of coaching. Don't know why everyone is yelling at me.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

The move you did on the Ted Nolan thread freaked me out. I click on the thread "Rehire Ted Nolan" and the first post is VCV saying "Per Darcy Regier press conference."

/heartattack

Old
02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
The new "entitled" generation has grown up differently than previous generations. I think this plays a role in the evolution of the coach. Assertive coaches are more effective than the authoritarian type of coaches. Young players do not generally respond well to the loud screaming Keenan types anymore. "Player" friendly coaches are becoming more popular and successful because they connect well with the players.

I am growing on Rolston and think that he could have good pull for his former American players to have them perhaps want to come play here. I like that he relies on his best players and will give them larger amounts of ice time.

That being said, I really like Jon Cooper and hope he gets an interview and perhaps the job.
You're absolutely correct, even though I still think that Torts types and Keenan types are still better. Scare them into playing well.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Excuse me, I meant to say New York not Buffalo.
No problem. Strong gag reflex with Ted ...

Old
02-25-2013, 11:28 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:

Peters and Mair touched on the "Twitter & Facebook" generation when talking about Ruff getting fired on The Enforcers Weekend episode.

They talked about Dan Bylsma as the posterchild for the new generation of coach that can relate and almost coddle players.

They also touched on the lack of experience and defensive ability among the centers on this roster, especially 19, 63, and 25.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
You're absolutely correct, even though I still think that Torts types and Keenan types are still better. Scare them into playing well.
My coach growing up played for Keenan and the stories he told

Old
02-25-2013, 11:32 AM
JPurp26

Quote:
Peters and Mair touched on the "Twitter & Facebook" generation when talking about Ruff getting fired on The Enforcers Weekend episode.

They talked about Dan Bylsma as the posterchild for the new generation of coach that can relate and almost coddle players.

They also touched on the lack of experience and defensive ability among the centers on this roster, especially 19, 63, and 25.
Ya my friends and I have talked about this in the last week and it is becoming more and more apparent, glad others notice it as well.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
My coach growing up played for Keenan and the stories he told
Nice. Not to derail, but I've seen and heard Torts down in NYC on occasions when I went to the Rangers games. Scared into playing well it is.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:40 PM
joshjull

Quote:

I don't buy this theory at all.

Post lockout Cup winning coaches

Laviolette (he made it back to the Cup Finals with the Flyers)
Carlyle
Babcock
Bylsma
Quenneville
Julien
Sutter

Bylsma is the exception not the rule. Plus the Pens had made the Finals the year before they won it with Therrien who is not the touchy feel type.

Quote:
They also touched on the lack of experience and defensive ability among the centers on this roster, especially 19, 63, and 25

This is more to the point on the team's issues. This is a poorly constructed roster missing key elements (shutdown pairing, defensive center being two key ones) and is relying too much on kids at center.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:39 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

TPegs has the bucks, bring em all in!!!

Nolan (But while we're in the time machine, let's bring back giant Zubaz pants to cover the holes in the roster.)
Kenan (I hate him)
Hitch (...but not as much as I hate Hitch)
Torts (Love him. I'd listen to him teach cooking macaroni & cheese to a home Ec class. Pegs would have to replace all the AED's hanging from the FNC walls - Torts would have a heart attack weekly watching all the lazy efforts and shots given up by BUF.)

Roby & RJ's careers would be rejuvenated soaking in all the positivity from that crew.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Whammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
This is more to the point on the team's issues. This is a poorly constructed roster missing key elements (shutdown pairing, defensive center being two key ones) and is relying too much on kids at center.
This made me think of The Natural for some reason and the losing mentality that they have that Rolston has pointed out.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Ace1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

I seem to remember Hasek faking an injury, pulling himself out of the playoffs, assaulting a middle aged sportswriter and getting suspended. And the Sabres still won a playoff round with a mediocre backup goalie.

Closed Thread