HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2013, 09:46 AM
  #451
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,770
vCash: 450
My thoughts are no chance in hell. He'll never coach in the NHL again.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 09:51 AM
  #452
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE
 
Dixon Ward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: District of Columbia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,030
vCash: 500
no more sabres organization retreads, please. it's time to move forward.

Dixon Ward is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 10:03 AM
  #453
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,046
vCash: 500
The Ted Nolan hype machine will never die.

Crazy Tasty is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 10:36 AM
  #454
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best in the World View Post
Would Nolan be able to come back as Buffalo's head coach? If he was offered the job, would he?

In my opinion, Ted is one of the best coaches out there. (Adams award winner when he coached the Sabres). He really knows how to get a team going especially young players, which would be great for Grigorenko.
Thoughts?

ZZamboni is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 10:42 AM
  #455
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best in the World View Post
Would Nolan be able to come back as Buffalo's head coach? If he was offered the job, would he?

In my opinion, Ted is one of the best coaches out there. (Adams award winner when he coached the Sabres). He really knows how to get a team going especially young players, which would be great for Grigorenko.
Thoughts?
My thought is that if he was that good, he'd have a job already.

I can't see Regier hiring Nolan, either.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 10:44 AM
  #456
Best in the World
Registered User
 
Best in the World's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
My thought is that if he was that good, he'd have a job already.

I can't see Regier hiring Nolan, either.
Hasn't had a head coach job in the NHL since Buffalo but he's head coach of Latvia's hockey team.

Best in the World is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 10:44 AM
  #457
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,632
vCash: 500
Personally, I'm less interested in who the next coach is than I am about what the roster will looks like moving forward.

This roster has holes that no head coach can cover up, IMO.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 10:47 AM
  #458
Best in the World
Registered User
 
Best in the World's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I take it you don't agree with me. Hahaha.

Best in the World is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 10:48 AM
  #459
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best in the World View Post
Hasn't had a head coach job in the NHL since Buffalo but he's head coach of Latvia's hockey team.
Huh?

He was the head coach of the Islanders for two seasons (06/07 & 07/08).

I just don't think a coach that is all that goes unemployed in the NHL for a decade and then half a decade.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 10:49 AM
  #460
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best in the World View Post
Hasn't had a head coach job in the NHL since Buffalo but he's head coach of Latvia's hockey team.
Excuse me?

Who was the Islanders head coach in 2006-2008?


Ted Nolan fan huh?

ZZamboni is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 10:53 AM
  #461
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,402
vCash: 500
The new "entitled" generation has grown up differently than previous generations. I think this plays a role in the evolution of the coach. Assertive coaches are more effective than the authoritarian type of coaches. Young players do not generally respond well to the loud screaming Keenan types anymore. "Player" friendly coaches are becoming more popular and successful because they connect well with the players.

I am growing on Rolston and think that he could have good pull for his former American players to have them perhaps want to come play here. I like that he relies on his best players and will give them larger amounts of ice time.

That being said, I really like Jon Cooper and hope he gets an interview and perhaps the job.

JPurp26 is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 10:58 AM
  #462
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,898
vCash: 500
Ted Nolan is one of the most overrated figures in all of Buffalo sports history.

He coached two seasons. Made the playoffs once and won a grand total of one playoff series. Whooptee-do. Won a Jack Adams award (so did Lindy, btw) when he managed to win what was an exceptionally weak NE division that year. Seriously, when you win a division with only 92 points, it's mostly because everyone else sucks.

"Oh, but his teams worked hard and over-achieved." Let me tell you something - those teams overachieved because they had the best goaltender in hockey history playing at the absolute prime of his career and peak of his abilities. I think the Hasek of that time could have carried my high school team to the NHL playoffs. Nolan was lucky to be in that situation, and he should have taken the contract extension that was offered to him.

MayDay is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:01 AM
  #463
Best in the World
Registered User
 
Best in the World's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Excuse me?

Who was the Islanders head coach in 2006-2008?


Ted Nolan fan huh?
Excuse me, I meant to say New York not Buffalo.

Best in the World is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:05 AM
  #464
Best in the World
Registered User
 
Best in the World's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Ted Nolan is one of the most overrated figures in all of Buffalo sports history.

He coached two seasons. Made the playoffs once and won a grand total of one playoff series. Whooptee-do. Won a Jack Adams award (so did Lindy, btw) when he managed to win what was an exceptionally weak NE division that year. Seriously, when you win a division with only 92 points, it's mostly because everyone else sucks.

"Oh, but his teams worked hard and over-achieved." Let me tell you something - those teams overachieved because they had the best goaltender in hockey history playing at the absolute prime of his career and peak of his abilities. I think the Hasek of that time could have carried my high school team to the NHL playoffs. Nolan was lucky to be in that situation, and he should have taken the contract extension that was offered to him.
It was just something I thought of. I'm not saying "Ted Nolan SHOULD be the next head coach" I'm just asking what other people thought of him and his style of coaching. Don't know why everyone is yelling at me.

Best in the World is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:11 AM
  #465
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,446
vCash: 500
The move you did on the Ted Nolan thread freaked me out. I click on the thread "Rehire Ted Nolan" and the first post is VCV saying "Per Darcy Regier press conference."

/heartattack

Myllz is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
  #466
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,348
vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
The new "entitled" generation has grown up differently than previous generations. I think this plays a role in the evolution of the coach. Assertive coaches are more effective than the authoritarian type of coaches. Young players do not generally respond well to the loud screaming Keenan types anymore. "Player" friendly coaches are becoming more popular and successful because they connect well with the players.

I am growing on Rolston and think that he could have good pull for his former American players to have them perhaps want to come play here. I like that he relies on his best players and will give them larger amounts of ice time.

That being said, I really like Jon Cooper and hope he gets an interview and perhaps the job.
You're absolutely correct, even though I still think that Torts types and Keenan types are still better. Scare them into playing well.

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
  #467
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best in the World View Post
Excuse me, I meant to say New York not Buffalo.
No problem. Strong gag reflex with Ted ...

ZZamboni is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:28 AM
  #468
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
The new "entitled" generation has grown up differently than previous generations. I think this plays a role in the evolution of the coach. Assertive coaches are more effective than the authoritarian type of coaches. Young players do not generally respond well to the loud screaming Keenan types anymore. "Player" friendly coaches are becoming more popular and successful because they connect well with the players.

I am growing on Rolston and think that he could have good pull for his former American players to have them perhaps want to come play here. I like that he relies on his best players and will give them larger amounts of ice time.

That being said, I really like Jon Cooper and hope he gets an interview and perhaps the job.
Peters and Mair touched on the "Twitter & Facebook" generation when talking about Ruff getting fired on The Enforcers Weekend episode.

They talked about Dan Bylsma as the posterchild for the new generation of coach that can relate and almost coddle players.

They also touched on the lack of experience and defensive ability among the centers on this roster, especially 19, 63, and 25.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
  #469
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
You're absolutely correct, even though I still think that Torts types and Keenan types are still better. Scare them into playing well.
My coach growing up played for Keenan and the stories he told

JPurp26 is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:32 AM
  #470
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
Peters and Mair touched on the "Twitter & Facebook" generation when talking about Ruff getting fired on The Enforcers Weekend episode.

They talked about Dan Bylsma as the posterchild for the new generation of coach that can relate and almost coddle players.

They also touched on the lack of experience and defensive ability among the centers on this roster, especially 19, 63, and 25.
Ya my friends and I have talked about this in the last week and it is becoming more and more apparent, glad others notice it as well.

JPurp26 is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:38 AM
  #471
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,348
vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
My coach growing up played for Keenan and the stories he told
Nice. Not to derail, but I've seen and heard Torts down in NYC on occasions when I went to the Rangers games. Scared into playing well it is.

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 01:40 PM
  #472
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 34,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
Peters and Mair touched on the "Twitter & Facebook" generation when talking about Ruff getting fired on The Enforcers Weekend episode.

They talked about Dan Bylsma as the posterchild for the new generation of coach that can relate and almost coddle players.

I don't buy this theory at all.

Post lockout Cup winning coaches

Laviolette (he made it back to the Cup Finals with the Flyers)
Carlyle
Babcock
Bylsma
Quenneville
Julien
Sutter

Bylsma is the exception not the rule. Plus the Pens had made the Finals the year before they won it with Therrien who is not the touchy feel type.




Quote:
They also touched on the lack of experience and defensive ability among the centers on this roster, especially 19, 63, and 25

This is more to the point on the team's issues. This is a poorly constructed roster missing key elements (shutdown pairing, defensive center being two key ones) and is relying too much on kids at center.

joshjull is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 04:39 PM
  #473
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,715
vCash: 500
TPegs has the bucks, bring em all in!!!

Nolan (But while we're in the time machine, let's bring back giant Zubaz pants to cover the holes in the roster.)
Kenan (I hate him)
Hitch (...but not as much as I hate Hitch)
Torts (Love him. I'd listen to him teach cooking macaroni & cheese to a home Ec class. Pegs would have to replace all the AED's hanging from the FNC walls - Torts would have a heart attack weekly watching all the lazy efforts and shots given up by BUF.)

Roby & RJ's careers would be rejuvenated soaking in all the positivity from that crew.

brian_griffin is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 04:54 PM
  #474
Whammer
Registered User
 
Whammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Grand Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
This is more to the point on the team's issues. This is a poorly constructed roster missing key elements (shutdown pairing, defensive center being two key ones) and is relying too much on kids at center.
This made me think of The Natural for some reason and the losing mentality that they have that Rolston has pointed out.


Whammer is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 05:02 PM
  #475
Ace1963
Registered User
 
Ace1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

"Oh, but his teams worked hard and over-achieved." Let me tell you something - those teams overachieved because they had the best goaltender in hockey history playing at the absolute prime of his career and peak of his abilities. I think the Hasek of that time could have carried my high school team to the NHL playoffs. Nolan was lucky to be in that situation, and he should have taken the contract extension that was offered to him.
I seem to remember Hasek faking an injury, pulling himself out of the playoffs, assaulting a middle aged sportswriter and getting suspended. And the Sabres still won a playoff round with a mediocre backup goalie.

Ace1963 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.