HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Coffee Shop Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 03:16 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Look, I donít have any problem with anyone who criticizes Eller because he does have flaws in his game. I even agree with you that Eller either takes too much time to take a decision or just simply takes bad decision. I also agree that he ices the puck way too often but thatís goes hand in hand with the poor decision making.

What Iím deploring is that post you wrote on Eller after his poor game against the Islanders when you should know that heís been amongst our best forwards in the past 12 games. Itís just pissing me off when you ďwaitĒ 12 games and jumped on the first opportunity to call him overrated because we were praising his previous games.

Itís like the guy that wait for Carey Price to get one bad game and then say heís overrated and if Price gets a shutout in the next game, he suddenly changes his mind and say he wants Price to succeed and wish Price could play like that more but in reality, Price was already playing really well in the past 10 games.

You are reading way too much into my posts.

The Islanders game was a bad game for several players. It was simply an observation I made......not me waiting for an "aha" moment from any player.

Regardless, we all have our opinions. I still firmly believe the two Gallys have a much higher ceiling than Eller. If he proves me wrong, so be it. Its just a meaningless opinion on a message board.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

The Islanders game was a bad game for several players. It was simply an observation I made......not me waiting for an "aha" moment from any player.

Regardless, we all have our opinions. I still firmly believe the two Gallys have a much higher ceiling than Eller. If he proves me wrong, so be it. Its just a meaningless opinion on a message board.
It gives everyone a chance to pile on and feel better about themselves, don't sweat it.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

Galchenyuk, yes, but I wouldn't be so sure about Gallagher. Eller seems to be a late bloomer but his physical advantages over Gallagher are undeniable.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:26 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Galchenyuk, yes, but I wouldn't be so sure about Gallagher. Eller seems to be a late bloomer but his physical advantages over Gallagher are undeniable.
Maybe I should have prefaced it by saying a "healthy" Gallagher.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:

Galchenyuk I have no doubt but for Gallagher I'm not sure and it's nothing against him really. Eller, if he develops like he should and reach his potential, will be a much more complete player compared to Gallagher.

IMO, Eller's ceiling would be a really good 2nd line center capable of 20g/40a 60pts. A little bit like Plekanec. What I like about Eller is that he's strong on the puck and has a good puck protection. Plekanec is 7 years older so Eller might be his replacement.

This is pretty much the first time in his career that Eller will get quality wingers on both sides for more than 1 game. Let's see how he'll perform.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:37 PM
BigNumber1Centre
Heart of Gallagher

Woo! Lars Eller! Woo! Haven't been following the flow of conversation. However I just wanted to drop in and say how much we are lucky to have Eller on this team. Come playoff time, this is the type of player that can make a difference. When the opposing team has our top 2 lines shut down Eller could be the guy that comes through in the clutch, whether that be by scoring a timely goal or stopping one. It's silly that some people (albeit very few) think of trading this guy simply because he's limited to third-fourth line playing time. Sorry a bit off topic but just my two cents. Vive Lars Eller!

Old
02-25-2013, 03:52 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Physical advantages doesn't beat results. It took 77 games for Eller to score seven goals. In 14 games, Gallagher already has five.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:57 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Galchenyuk I have no doubt but for Gallagher I'm not sure and it's nothing against him really. Eller, if he develops like he should and reach his potential, will be a much more complete player compared to Gallagher.

IMO, Eller's ceiling would be a really good 2nd line center capable of 20g/40a 60pts. A little bit like Plekanec. What I like about Eller is that he's strong on the puck and has a good puck protection. Plekanec is 7 years older so Eller might be his replacement.

This is pretty much the first time in his career that Eller will get quality wingers on both sides for more than 1 game. Let's see how he'll perform.
Eller will probably be the replacement for Pleks down the road. I can only hope that he does have a ceiling that high.

Like you said, time will tell.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:00 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Physical advantages doesn't beat results. It took 77 games for Eller to score seven goals. In 14 games, Gallagher already has five.
only goal counts ? nothing about assists, play on the PK, or PP and what not ?

well, if that's the case... Gallagher has more goals than Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Cole, DD... guess he's also better than all of them ??

Old
02-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Et le But

Quote:
You are a rational poster here.

Can you please explain the difference for me?

When you and others criticize our wingers for poor passing, it is just normal conversation. But when someone criticizes Eller's passing, then they are labeled a hater with an agenda?

Thanks
Because saying Eller is a bad passer simply is not true. Saying Eller is a poor passer isn't true, because he clearly has some of the best hands on the team and makes some beautiful passes. I mean everyone good enough to play in the NHL will make a nice pass at some point, but all you have to do is watch Eller to see how well he can pass.

Now it's perfectly fair to say Eller doesn't time his passes properly, or that he has tunnel vision. He clearly doesn't have the creativity of Desharnais. Saying he doesn't utilize his talent is a valid criticism, much as it was with Kostitsyn, who had the skill to pass but his hockey IQ was too low to use it right. Eller panics with the puck at times, but at least once a game will make a play no winger on this team would be able to make, and that's why saying Eller can't do it makes it sound like you have an agenda.

But it's a different story with the wingers. Cole, Bourque and Gionta are just mediocre passers, they have poor technique and plays tend to die on their stick if they try to do more than rush forward or shoot. They don't have very good hands. Pacioretty isn't as bad, but by league standards isn't anything special there. That doesn't mean these guys aren't very good hockey players - all have proven more than Eller for sure, but they are below average playmakers. Cole and Gionta were never assist guys even on some stacked teams.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:30 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Because saying Eller is a bad passer simply is not true. Saying Eller is a poor passer isn't true, because he clearly has some of the best hands on the team and makes some beautiful passes. I mean everyone good enough to play in the NHL will make a nice pass at some point, but all you have to do is watch Eller to see how well he can pass.

Now it's perfectly fair to say Eller doesn't time his passes properly, or that he has tunnel vision. He clearly doesn't have the creativity of Desharnais. Saying he doesn't utilize his talent is a valid criticism, much as it was with Kostitsyn, who had the skill to pass but his hockey IQ was too low to use it right. Eller panics with the puck at times, but at least once a game will make a play no winger on this team would be able to make, and that's why saying Eller can't do it makes it sound like you have an agenda.

But it's a different story with the wingers. Cole, Bourque and Gionta are just mediocre passers, they have poor technique and plays tend to die on their stick if they try to do more than rush forward or shoot. They don't have very good hands. Pacioretty isn't as bad, but by league standards isn't anything special there. That doesn't mean these guys aren't very good hockey players - all have proven more than Eller for sure, but they are below average playmakers. Cole and Gionta were never assist guys even on some stacked teams.
I agree about Cole, Bourque and Gionta, but Pacioretty is actually a good playmaker. Above average for a winger, even if you wouldn't want him to play center. He is on pace for 53 assists in an 82 game schedule right now.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:35 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Thanks for the reply. I knew you were reasonable.

I guess my post(s) came out sounding like I was speaking in absolutes. Absolutes do not exist in hockey. For that I admit error.

Your second paragraph is my main complaint with Eller in a nutshell.

Thanks again.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I agree about Cole, Bourque and Gionta, but Pacioretty is actually a good playmaker. Above average for a winger, even if you wouldn't want him to play center. He is on pace for 53 assists in an 82 game schedule right now.
I wasn't impressed with him in the past there but he does seem to be improving, he's shown a lot of vision this year. The problem is more Bourque, Cole, Gionta are all something of black holes, albiet hard working black holes.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Maybe you shouldn't make these observation when you know a lot of players simply had a bad game. I mean, even Crosby can be criticized and look like crap if all you do is focus on a bad game..

Galchenyuk has a higher ceiling, Gallagher (even a healthy one), I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Not sure how many times we have to repeat that development isn't linear.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:21 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Maybe you shouldn't make these observation when you know a lot of players simply had a bad game. I mean, even Crosby can be criticized and look like crap if all you do is focus on a bad game..

Galchenyuk has a higher ceiling, Gallagher (even a healthy one), I disagree.

Not sure how many times we have to repeat that development isn't linear.

I will be looking for this same post on the Gionta, Cole, Desharnais etc and so on threads as well.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Galchenyuk has great skill but he needs to use that laser wrister more instead of looking for the perfect play.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:31 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

This guy has blossomed into that Jordan Stall type of second line center.

Had a beast of a game.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Et le But

Made that one dumb penalty, but played a really solid physical, defensive game. He needs to learn when to cool it but the kid never backs down. I never want to hear him called soft again.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Kriss E

He had a terrific game. He's really starting to come along.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
I dig how ''in your face'' he has become.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I dig how ''in your face'' he has become.
Agreed, and I feel he will grow into more. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the strength and size he's gained over the summer. At 23, he will still fill out more, so I expect him to get into it even more over the next few years.

But what's really good is that he had no problem playing the physical game versus a goonish team.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:10 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Agreed, and I feel he will grow into more. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the strength and size he's gained over the summer. At 23, he will still fill out more, so I expect him to get into it even more over the next few years.

But what's really good is that he had no problem playing the physical game versus a goonish team.
He is the big centre we need down the middle. The new edge to his game is so great! He doesn't need to fight, he just needs to play like a man and not back down, and he is doing just that. I'm loving the confidence Eller is playing with right now.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:31 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
He is the big centre we need down the middle. The new edge to his game is so great! He doesn't need to fight, he just needs to play like a man and not back down, and he is doing just that. I'm loving the confidence Eller is playing with right now.
If HF had a "like" button, I'd use it on this post.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:31 PM
LaTenderness

Eller has a big one....... In his shorts

Old
03-03-2013, 11:08 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
If HF had a "like" button, I'd use it on this post.

Closed Thread