HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I try to figure how the Habs cannot be the best team in the league.. And I just cant.

Old
07-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
This is retarded.
Ditto. Why is it so hard to looking at other teams lineup's without candy colored habsglasses? There are quite a few teams in the league that are much better than ours. We don't have all-star players in our lineup when some teams have multiple ones.

What we do have is good speed and shiftiness and solid goaltending (crosses fingers). Our defence is nothing special and that's the baldfaced truth. I see us now as a perimeter playoff team but once there, we could surprise. Same as last season. We need earth-shatering trades to make us real contenders (like trading for Staal with scrubs)...aint' going to happen. We can't get those players because we're consistantly mediocre and can't draft surefire superstars.

We have some young promising kids that are coming up but none of them are likely to have an impact ala crosby or even svatos...
So how is it that we are the best team in the NHL? Especially with Ribs as your second line center? i"m not trying to rain on anyone's parade but *******...

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 08:51 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Better than what? Where do Higgins, Komi, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, and Ribeiro rank in the league? I'd rather start with a base of Crosby, Malkin, M-A Fleury, and J. Staal, for example.
Of course, problem is, you pretty much named all the NHL players on Pittsburgh lineup, the rest is AHL quality.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:01 AM
CalHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Would ya? I'd rather not finish last place for 10 years running.
I like the team we have but:
maybe we should have finished near the bottom in the standings in the late 90's.
We'd possibly be a stronger team today.

CalHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:02 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder View Post
Ditto. Why is it so hard to looking at other teams lineup's without candy colored habsglasses? There are quite a few teams in the league that are much better than ours. We don't have all-star players in our lineup when some teams have multiple ones.

What we do have is good speed and shiftiness and solid goaltending (crosses fingers). Our defence is nothing special and that's the baldfaced truth. I see us now as a perimeter playoff team but once there, we could surprise. Same as last season. We need earth-shatering trades to make us real contenders (like trading for Staal with scrubs)...aint' going to happen. We can't get those players because we're consistantly mediocre and can't draft surefire superstars.

We have some young promising kids that are coming up but none of them are likely to have an impact ala crosby or even svatos...
So how is it that we are the best team in the NHL? Especially with Ribs as your second line center? i"m not trying to rain on anyone's parade but *******...

I really dont think we are the best on paper. Depht is something very hard to analyse and evaluate but I think we are one of those club with that + factor in this category, or at least we are close to have it. Svatos svatos, its as colored light to see him as any better than 3-4 of our prospect imo. Hes no Sakic.

We have really good 3rd and 4th lines whoever makes the team and very good 3rd pairing D. Avg 1st and 2nd lines, Avg 1st and 2nd D pairing. We have greatly improved the 2nd line with Samsonov because last year that 2nd line was below-avg at best.

So I think Carbo will go nearly equal icetime for the 4 lines and play on the depth to wear down the opposition. If we can get more offensive input from the scoring lines we will be in very good shape.

Old
07-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Better than what? Where do Higgins, Komi, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, and Ribeiro rank in the league? I'd rather start with a base of Crosby, Malkin, M-A Fleury, and J. Staal, for example.
Sure individually the Pens are better, but individual talent only takes you so far. Carolina, Edmonton, Buffalo, and Anaheim had no superstars but solid teams. If Pittsburghs four #1 and #2 overall guys all develop into legit superstars there will not be enough money for all four guys. Sure its good to have all four, but they won't be able to keep them all either (see Marty Havlat). We are building a team here. I didn't even mention some of our guys in the minor leagues like Chipchura, Gui, Price, Lapierre, Fischer, etc... Our team is coming along nicely. A few rooks last year, another 1 or 2 this year, more next year. We are a lot better than the 99 team thats for sure.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Guy Caballero

The game's played on the ice. We won't know how good the "new look" Habs are until Christmas, at least. Remember the 2005-2006 Bruins?

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Rumour just in from the NHL,they just received 29 faxes form every NHL team exept the Canadiens saying that they could not beat the Habs on paper and the NHL should award the stanley cup to the Habs instead of wasting a hole season!!

Best team in the league We are not far from a top 10 in my opinion but they are not the best

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Habsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
This is retarded.
I think he dropped his parade route map AH.

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:29 AM
alexstream

We Rock!

2005 Theo < 2006 Huet-Aebs
2005 Rookies < 2006 Sophomores
2005 Zed <<<<<< 2006 Sammy
2005 Bulis = or < 2006 Johnson

2005 93pts <<<< 2006 164pts

slight exaggeration there... However we STUNK big time for two full months last season. NO ONE EVER overpeformed... Huet was good, but didn't have to stand on his head for us to win. He was just steady and reliable. Never stood on his head.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 10:14 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
We Rock!

slight exaggeration there... However we STUNK big time for two full months last season. NO ONE EVER overpeformed... Huet was good, but didn't have to stand on his head for us to win. He was just steady and reliable. Never stood on his head.

Well he did stood on his head a couple of games.

Old
07-17-2006, 10:17 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

If Markov gets injured again?
We really need another quality dman

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 10:31 AM
J-D

I see the Habs as above-average offensively, average defensively and above-average between the pipes. Just enough to make the playoffs by a hair or two, as usual. The addition of Samsonov will not make that big of a difference, and our defence is very suspect, especially if an injury comes up (remember when Markov was out, the PP and transition game was dreadful).

Predicting the Habs finishing better than 4th in the East would be IMO totally ludicrous. They will never beat Ottawa in their division, and they will evidently battle hard with the Sabres, who (maybe) could drop in the standings. The Leafs and Bruins seem to have improved on last year.

As usual, NewHabsArea puts too much stock into prospects. Kostitsyn will never take Ryder's spot, unless the latter gets too much $$$ from arbitration, while Grabovski will obviously play most of his 82 games in the AHL barring an incredible amount of injuries.

The key IS NOT our emerging kids, because Perezhogin, Plekanec and Higgins are not superstars in the making, that is plain obvious. Undoubtedly, they were important in their role (save for Perezhogin who got a well-deserved break in the AHL), but the problem is that sometimes they were playing better than our highest-paid players. That, however, is a testament to how bad Koivu and Kovalev played during stretches.

Barring trades, our lineup seems to be set in stone, especially the top 2 lines, and I don't see the kind of punch great teams, who contend for the President's Trophy year-in year-out, have.

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 10:35 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
The game's played on the ice. We won't know how good the "new look" Habs are until Christmas, at least. Remember the 2005-2006 Bruins?
Took the words out of my mouth (or keyboard), Guy.

Enthusiastic fans are good, but you have to tamper your expectations until you get a better sense of what you have.

On another note, I share your enthusiasm, provided that Carbonneau turns out to be a good head coach. I see the forward corps being vastly improved, with Latendresse as the X-factor, even if most people have him in the AHL this year.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Transplanted Caper

Last year showed that predicting the winners of a conference has essentially become a crapshoot. Its all about being able to play in the new NHL. Montreal certainly has the team speed to be able to do this quite well, and heck, no one saw Carolina or Buffalo as contenders last season and look what happened. Of course Montreal could win the conference. But they are not, IMO among the 'elite' teams in the league.

They are in a group of as many as 15 teams that could do VERY well if things fall into place, but could also miss the playoffs. The increased parity in the NHL is becoming quite apparent IMO.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 10:50 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Only Crosby and Malkin are sure fire stars. We dont know whether any young guns will break out.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Sure individually the Pens are better, but individual talent only takes you so far. Carolina, Edmonton, Buffalo, and Anaheim had no superstars but solid teams. If Pittsburghs four #1 and #2 overall guys all develop into legit superstars there will not be enough money for all four guys. Sure its good to have all four, but they won't be able to keep them all either (see Marty Havlat). We are building a team here. I didn't even mention some of our guys in the minor leagues like Chipchura, Gui, Price, Lapierre, Fischer, etc... Our team is coming along nicely. A few rooks last year, another 1 or 2 this year, more next year. We are a lot better than the 99 team thats for sure.
You're bursting with enthusiasm but you don't know how many of those Habs prospects will make it and how long it will take them to become topnotch players. The Pittsburgh salary base is a non-issue because, unlike Ottawa, the Penguins won't have many high priced veterans for quite some time. Besides, the Habs are not far below the 2006-07 cap themselves, and at the end of this season they're going to have to re-sign Ryder, Ribeiro, Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Komisarek, Souray, Markov, and perhaps others.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 10:55 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
You're bursting with enthusiasm but you don't know how many of those Habs prospects will make it and how long it will take them to become topnotch players. The Pittsburgh salary base is a non-issue because, unlike Ottawa, the Penguins won't have many high priced veterans for quite some time. Besides, the Habs are not far below the 2006-07 cap themselves, and at the end of this season they're going to have to re-sign Ryder, Ribeiro, Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Komisarek, Souray, Markov, and perhaps others.
Aren't the Habs like 6-7 mil under the Cap?

Old
07-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
First off, I never said we were gonna be the best in the league, that wasn't started by me, and I don't believe it.

Can we if all things go right finish in the top 4 or 5 in the east sure. Could we be fighting for our playoff lives, yeah thats a possibility too.

But I think people are missing the point when they say there is only room for one rookie this year and forget that we have added quite a few in the last few years and their will be room for more next year (Bonk out among other moves to be made).

What I am saying is this team is getting better all the time, and Gainey has done a great job. Our rookies may not be future superstars, but you don't need superstars to win anymore, you need a well balanced, well rounded team and that is what we are building.

Old
07-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
We Rock!

Of course, your goalie comparison is biased. It should have been Theo + Huet vs. Huet + Abs, and Theo played in (and won) most of the games during the Habs early hot streak.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz View Post
Aren't the Habs like 6-7 mil under the Cap?
For this coming season, we are about 4.3 million under. However Ryder needs to be signed (asking for 2.5) and we need to add one rookie to the roster (450,000-800,000) depending on who it is. So we are done for this year.

As for next year, the cap hasn't been set yet. But you can remove Bonk's money as he will be gone. Also Johnson could be gone, one of our goalies will definetely be moved before the trade deadline and other moves will assuredly be made.

We will have the room to keep the guys we want next year. Although i think we will lose at least one of the three defencemen.

Old
07-17-2006, 11:07 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
For this coming season, we are about 4.3 million under. However Ryder needs to be signed (asking for 2.5) and we need to add one rookie to the roster (450,000-800,000) depending on who it is. So we are done for this year.

As for next year, the cap hasn't been set yet. But you can remove Bonk's money as he will be gone. Also Johnson could be gone, one of our goalies will definetely be moved before the trade deadline and other moves will assuredly be made.

We will have the room to keep the guys we want next year. Although i think we will lose at least one of the three defencemen.
I'm confident Rivet would potentially accept a paycut or something along the lines of his current contract

Old
07-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Shatmat*

Carolina proved last season that anything can happen. That being said I wouldn't bet more than a penny on the habs being the best team in the league. Well maybe with alot of imagination and a few beers....

I see the Habs 5th in the conference. Calgary, Anaheim and Carolina have a better roster than Montreal no doubt.

I hear a lot of people claiming the quality of our youngsters but look at Anaheim (Getzlaf, Perry, Penner), Calgary (Phaneuf) and Philadelphia (Carter, Richards) among others and you'll see that Montreal doesn't have the exclusivity of the young talents.

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 11:27 AM
tinyzombies

Yikes, so many things can go wrong. If everything goes right, we could finish anywhere from 3-6. If a few things go wrong, we're out of the playoffs. That's how tight it is.

How we deal with Koivu missing his annual 40 games is the question. Samsonov will help, if he doesn't miss his annual 40 games.

Otherwise, I think we're pretty solid. Our size might lead to injuries again though. But our goaltending is in good hands. We have a nice, well-rounded, mediocre team imo.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Evil Ted

I think we should just all hope were going to make the playoffs period.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Karl Pilkington

My feeling on next season is that the suprise teams who performed well this season will make way for a new set of suprise teams to perform well. It always happens.

I'm optimistic about next season for the habs... but I wouldn't consider them the best team in the league. There are a lot of question marks... Huet is a minor question mark IMO and I hope he can remain steady next season. I'm hoping Guy Carbonneau and Kirk Muller can do the job next season and I'm excited about having them behind the bench... but I won't be confident in their unproven coaching abilities until I see a few games.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote