HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/LW Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013, 3rd overall, Tampa Bay) II

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 08:18 AM
TheTechNoir

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangle6 View Post
drouin is going to be the best of his draft for sure.... he is going to make the same play in the nhl giroux+ datsuyk = DROUIN .... parise,kessel = MAC
MacKinnon is a much better rounded player than Kessel. Right now he doesn't really have any weaknesses, just can improve his overall game. Kessel has flaws. Similar but different players imo.

I haven't compared MacKinnon to someone in a really long time (early 2012) but at that time I said Rick Tocchet. Tho to be honest it was because I was sick and tired of people who never watched him play compare him to Sidney Crosby (not just in terms of origin, but because they heard it on the media and therefore thought they were alike as players).

Old
02-25-2013, 08:39 AM
NS Bluenoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicryptic View Post
Great post, I agree with all of it. Drouin is not going to be able to dangle the whole team in the NHL. He's not going to be Able to float and be anemic in the dirty areas. He's not going to be able to put his head down for so long or rely on his hands to generate the mAjority of his offense. Whereas mackinnons game should translate very well very quickly. I do have faith that drouin is smart enough to adjust and will be a star in the NHL. But mackinnon will likely also be a star with less offensive potential but less downside risk.
Drouin doesn`t skate around with his head down... or rather, he knows exactly what is happening around him. For a guy who dangles through traffic as often as he does, he never gets hit in that way. Almost everytime, he shifts out of the way of oncoming checkers.

And its not like he tries to stickhandle through a team like he did there on a regular basis. Usually he he slips by guys with ease on simple toedrags or head fakes. He is certainly capable of having shifts like this one we are talking about, but on a regular basis its the small, subtle moves that leave people standing still. That should translate to the NHL level pretty well. Like Crosby, he can come off the boards and while everyone is falling over themselves trying to cover his pass target, he can explode into the open ice and finish.

I do agree with whats said though - MacKinnon has a higher floor and is a safer pick to be an impact player at the NHL level, but Drouin has a higher ceiling if he keeps getting stronger, but has a bit more risk given his style.

Most would be shocked though if Drouin fails (or underwhelms) at the NHL level. His work ethic and passion and skill is too high.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Tripod

As funny as it sounds, the team picking #3 overall might actually feel relieved that they don't have to make the choice which one to pick. Finishing #3 is like finishing #1 in most years.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:10 AM
416Leafer

It's gonna be a tough tough choice for the guys picking #1/#2.

Unless a winger has a clear clear cut skill set that's definitely above the skill-set of the centre/D they're being compared to, I would be strongly biased towards going with the Centre/D. They simply are able to control a game MUCH more than a winger can, and are far more important on the defensive end of the game.

Patrick Kane from my understanding had a similar draft year, super high point output, small skilled winger with some questions on the defensive end of the puck, and he's obviously turned into a great player, and was definitely the best choice between him and Turris (highest ranked Centre in that draft).

But personally, if I'm able to get a franchise C or D, I'd take that over a Patrick Kane type of player. So it really depends on what the upside is expected to be for MacKinnon. Jones looks like a clear future #1 D, but then again, so did EJ...

Old
02-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Might jump to no.2 but my guess is he goes third with Nichushkin going 4th IF teams ignore the contract. Don't know who round out the top five though. Probably Barkov or Lindholm.

Last edited by Cory Trevor: 02-25-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

I think that if Columbus finishes last, they would pick either Drouin or MacKinnon. If Kekalainen feels that Drouin can become a similar player than Patrick Kane, he will pick him. Drouin can revive that franchise in terms of attraction and productivity. Btw, there's no way I would rank Nichushkin in front of Barkov or Lindholm. The kid has signed a contract extension with his KHL team in the beginning of the season.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I think that if Columbus finishes last, they would pick either Drouin or MacKinnon. If Kekalainen feels that Drouin can become a similar player than Patrick Kane, he will pick him. Drouin can revive that franchise in terms of attraction and productivity. Btw, there's no way I would rank Nichushkin in front of Barkov or Lindholm. The kid has signed a contract extension with his KHL team in the beginning of the season.
what are the stipulations behind it in terms of agreement with the NHL? I can pop on over to the Business board but just wondering if you knew off the top of your head.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
what are the stipulations behind it in terms of agreement with the NHL? I can pop on over to the Business board but just wondering if you knew off the top of your head.
pretty sure he needs to honour his 3 year deal in russia.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:00 AM
jigglysquishy

For the longest time I had MacKinnon and Jones at one and two with Drouin jumping from sixth to third. I was quite hesitant to see put him first or even second.

After his play this month I have him first. Kid is on fire.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
For the longest time I had MacKinnon and Jones at one and two with Drouin jumping from sixth to third. I was quite hesitant to see put him first or even second.

After his play this month I have him first. Kid is on fire.
I have him 2nd. Still at number 1 is Mackinnon and Jones is number 3. But Drouin is unbelievable.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

Was at the game, unreal player.
Reminds me of Eberle.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:28 PM
kris
No JDru for TB - yet

I just can't see any NHL level coaching/scouting staff watch this kid throughout training camp/exhibition/ potential 10 game stint and then be able to cut him.

I've said it before, but he makes it impossible to not select him to your team. He did it with TC and will do it next year as well.

He may not produce right away but with the way his stock is going (I can't even imagine the playoff hype train that will surround these 2 if they go deep) I would't want to be the one that has to pass him up.

Looking back, how smart was Mooseheads management at the draft when they were able to acquire the #1 pick from BC without giving up the #2 pick to get Drouin. Not to mention Fucale. They at one point had the pick to take Adam Erne as well but traded picks with Quebec to get pieces for the BC trade.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Reesor01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
I just can't see any NHL level coaching/scouting staff watch this kid throughout training camp/exhibition/ potential 10 game stint and then be able to cut him.

I've said it before, but he makes it impossible to not select him to your team. He did it with TC and will do it next year as well.

He may not produce right away but with the way his stock is going (I can't even imagine the playoff hype train that will surround these 2 if they go deep) I would't want to be the one that has to pass him up.

Looking back, how smart was Mooseheads management at the draft when they were able to acquire the #1 pick from BC without giving up the #2 pick to get Drouin. Not to mention Fucale. They at one point had the pick to take Adam Erne as well but traded picks with Quebec to get pieces for the BC trade.
They got the #2 pick from Rouyn-Noranda at the draft (Using their #4 pick, a 3rd rounder, and Simon Desmarais). Then in July they got MacKinnon.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:07 PM
bigdirty

I never understand why people need to point out "that would never work in the NHL" whenever a great goal is scored it junior.

Yes, it wouldn't work. If he was in the NHL, he wouldn't have made those moves. But he's not in the NHL, so he did. It simply shows that Drouin's skill level so far exceeds the other players that he can actually pull off ridiculous stuff like that.

My favourite part of that game is that Drouin had tied the QMJHL scoring leader, and Marty Frk was sitting on 69 points. So they made a plan for Drouin to set up Frk, thereby taking over the lead in Q scoring while helping Frk get his 70th point.... and it worked.
Just like that, he decided to set up Frk for a goal and so it happened. That's the level of talent Drouin brings.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:14 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

All Jo does is practice. I don't know why he hasn't been ranked at 1. I would take him first.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:57 PM
dangle6

I would take jonathan first as well, he just makes things happens for his team when he is on the ice, he is unpredictable and d-men never knows what he is about to do when he has the puck..he can do it all. we see nhl d-men get undresse by player with less skills than jonathan so i can really see him score hightlight real goal in the NHL.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:41 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post

The difference with Team Canada is that he was still playing at the same age group level.

Im not saying Drouin won't make the NHL next year, but it will be hard. The NHL is bigger and much stronger. Some guys need the extra year, and some guys don't. You also have to consider the RNH situation last year where he missed 20 games due to an injury that was exhasturbated by the fact he was playing with guys so miuch bigger

Old
02-25-2013, 06:23 PM
JesusBouillon

Drouin is killing Mackinnon, he has to be number 1 now.

Is there any examples of 2 teammates where the one that got outscored badly in junior turned out to be the better NHL player?

Old
02-25-2013, 07:54 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
The difference with Team Canada is that he was still playing at the same age group level.

Im not saying Drouin won't make the NHL next year, but it will be hard. The NHL is bigger and much stronger. Some guys need the extra year, and some guys don't. You also have to consider the RNH situation last year where he missed 20 games due to an injury that was exhasturbated by the fact he was playing with guys so miuch bigger
Hey now, this is a family website

Old
02-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Here's the latest Hockey Lobby Mock Draft! Guess who's first? Enjoy and as usual, comments and reactions are welcomed!

http://hockeylobby.blogspot.com/2013...n-edition.html

Old
02-25-2013, 09:01 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post

Is there any examples of 2 teammates where the one that got outscored badly in junior turned out to be the better NHL player?
not sure about that, but i do remember this exact same situation playing out in 1991 with pat falloon and ray whitney. two sub 6 foot players putting up huge points in the whl. everyone and their mother, though, swore that falloon was the better pro prospect despite the fact that whitney posted 67 g, 118 a, 185 pts. falloon ended up being the consolation prize for the sj sharks after lindros went number 1 to the nordiques. falloon's junior season was nothing to sneeze at as he posted a 64 g, 74 a, 138 pt season so he had earned his fair share of respect. now, this is not to say that falloon's career was completely useless, that would be a little harsh. however, i think we all know who ended up being the more productive nhl player (sj selected whitney as well with the 23rd pick).

the current situation with drouin and mackinnon seems eerily similar. nhl scouts are suggesting that the less productive offensive player will be the better nhler...just like in 1991. i guess we'll see in 10 years or so...

Old
02-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post

Lecavalier had the same amount of points as Richards in 10 less games, so I guess he hypothetically outscored him by around 20 points at his pace. He also added 41 pts in 18 playoff games to Richards' 32 in 19 games.

Clearly in jr. Lecavalier was a more lethal scorer and regarded the better player at this time. Not sure who's career is more highly regarded at this point but I guess that is an example of how Jr. stats can be misleading.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:14 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Had him at 4th since pre-season when everyone had him from 7th to 20th

*pats back

Always had Seth Jones as #1 too, but I am leaning towards Drouin now

Old
02-25-2013, 10:52 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Just hopped on tsn's site, looked at the videos and what did I see??
"Jonathan Drouin's incredible solo effort inspired the Top 10 best individual efforts in hockey."
**** yeah!

Old
02-25-2013, 10:53 PM

people who say Drouin is better than MacKinnon because of points need to remember that Nic Petan has more points than both, having more points in junior does not mean you are a better prospect.

I still go MacKinnon

Closed Thread