HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Injury Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Mant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Sacco said Hedgie will be back agaisnt LA and he'll play with Mitchell and McLeod.
This could actually be a good thing. McLeod has been making all sorts of good offensive efforts the past few games. He also seems to draw a lot of attention from the defenders to him which could lead to Hejduk being open with enough time to make a Hejduk shot.

Not saying it will be a powerhouse offensive line, but they should contribute with some scoring now and then.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz View Post
Makes me curious as to what Downie is doing these days..back in Ontario i presume?

OT..I get the same feeling with Downie that i had from the onset with McClemment in that he will bolt as soon as free agency comes around.. totally annoying and irrational that it's how i associate him..
He'll probably snag some decent coin on the open market, probably not irrational so much as a guy getting his maximum worth while in his prime.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:31 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
This could actually be a good thing. McLeod has been making all sorts of good offensive efforts the past few games. He also seems to draw a lot of attention from the defenders to him which could lead to Hejduk being open with enough time to make a Hejduk shot.

Not saying it will be a powerhouse offensive line, but they should contribute with some scoring now and then.
No, I think McLeod has been great for this team this year. He's had some great shifts, which pump up the team even if it doesn't end in a goal.

I'd say game in and game out Varly and Dutchy have been the Avs best players so far this year, and the next in line would be PAP and McLeod. Mitchell a close 3rd, only because when he's not scoring, he doesn't bring as much to the table as McLeod.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz View Post
Makes me curious as to what Downie is doing these days..back in Ontario i presume?

OT..I get the same feeling with Downie that i had from the onset with McClemment in that he will bolt as soon as free agency comes around.. totally annoying and irrational that it's how i associate him..
I get the feeling Downs is a family oriented guy, and when a group takes him in and loves him like the Avs, he'll stick with them if he can.

The real question is will the Avs lowball him, or pay him a fair share? He fits their misguided idea of "replaceable."

Old
02-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I get the feeling Downs is a family oriented guy, and when a group takes him in and loves him like the Avs, he'll stick with them if he can.

The real question is will the Avs lowball him, or pay him a fair share? He fits their misguided idea of "replaceable."
Second/third line tweeners are extremely replaceable.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:13 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Downie's not really a tweener though. He's a skilled guy who plays a physical game. He fits on any line, quite frankly. I think the Avs miss him and his style of play a lot.

And from being at training camp, seeing him with his teammates, they all love the guy.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:19 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Downie's not really a tweener though. He's a skilled guy who plays a physical game. He fits on any line, quite frankly. I think the Avs miss him and his style of play a lot.

And from being at training camp, seeing him with his teammates, they all love the guy.
Agreed 100%. This team is missing Downie's physicality and pest qualities. In fact I think he would work really well with either Duchene or Stastny (at least better than Jones at this point). If I remember right Downie was on Duchene's line a couple years ago at the World Championships and looked really good there. Then on top of it, his pure craziness tends to keep the other team's players in check.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Not as easy as you think, and not the good ones. You can replace a Gali or Winnik, but it's much tougher to replace a guy like Downie and get one nearly as good. Downie can easily fit on any of the top three lines, and bring offense, physical play, fighting, and agitation. You don't see that combo done well too often.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:45 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Downie's not really a tweener though. He's a skilled guy who plays a physical game. He fits on any line, quite frankly.
1st/2nd line guys need to score, regardless of what else they do. Downie has scored 15 or more goals only once in his career.

He's a 2nd/3rd line tweener, IMO.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Nihiliste

I really want them to hold on to Downie. To me he's the type of depth you want on a contending team (versatile, physical, skilled enough to play with your top guys, got a lot of fire and heart).

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:54 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I really want them to hold on to Downie. To me he's the type of depth you want on a contending team (versatile, physical, skilled enough to play with your top guys, got a lot of fire and heart).
Definitely. Perfect third line guy to have as backup to move up in case of injuries. He would've been perfect if we had the 3 line setup with RoR

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:57 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
1st/2nd line guys need to score, regardless of what else they do. Downie has scored 15 or more goals only once in his career.

Downie puts up plenty of points to be considered a 2nd line player (he is a 40-45 point player). Part of the reason Downie doesn't score more is that he gets injured or suspended too much, and has to get back in the flow of the game. If players have to score 20 goals to be considered a 2nd line player then we eliminate obvious top 6 players like Voracek, Wheeler, PAP, Oshie, etc. People have just too high of expectations of what constitutes a top 6 player. 15g 25a is easily a top 6 wing on most teams. Downie is one of those rare 40 point players too, every time he is on a line with a good center that center's points have a serious uptick. Downie tends to be one of those really good advanced statistics players.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:

He's not asked to score goals, he's never really been a goal scorer at any level. I don't think he profiles as a third liner simply because he's too good. He's hurt a lot, but he's always put up pretty decent point numbers when he's playing,

I think he's a second liner, and if he were to play a full season he'd probably be in the fifty to fifty five point range.

Skill-wise, he is a second liner. That said, I don't think he'll ever have a problem slotting in almost anywhere in the lineup. He's played from the first to the fourth line in his career (remember, when he was with Tampa he played on a line with Stamkos) and can adapt to the players around him. That said, he's a complementary player, not someone you build a line around.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

He's 25, and didn't play more than 32 games his first couple seasons. As soon as he did he's consistently scored at a 15-20 goal and 40+ point pace. He's got a 22 and 14 goal seasons, and a 46 and 41 point season. In 2010-11 he was scoring at the same 15 goal 40+ point rate but was limited to 57 games. Those are top six winger numbers easily, not to mention he brings other elements to make his line better.

The concern with Downie is can he stay healthy, not does he put up enough offense to warrant playing on the top lines.

You can't get hung up on this 2nd/3rd line tweener definition. That's way too broad a definition, and covers guys much worse than him. It's not really a fair label with it's connotation. He can and has played well with highly skilled players like Stamkos, and Duchene, and can also play well with more meat and potatoes guys like O'Reilly and Landy. He's very versatile, and way more naturally talented and smart offensively than most guys that play that pest role.

You can replace him, just like you can replace anyone, but you're most likely only going to replace one element of his game. Whether it's his pest role, or his 40+ point offense, or his highly physical play.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Avs71

EJ still not skating? Would this be because the Avs are on a road trip, or because he's still ****ing concussed?

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
EJ still not skating? Would this be because the Avs are on a road trip, or because he's still ****ing concussed?
I hope because of the road trip, but I believe Landy started skating on his own back home while the team was away.

Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
I hope because of the road trip, but I believe Landy started skating on his own back home while the team was away.
Yea, if a player is ready, there's no reason they can't skate back at home with some of the medical staff. Happens all the time.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:57 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Hes still concussed. I almost wanna say sut him down for the year since this season is a bigger bust then Shyla Stylez. I kinda dont wanna risk him getting hurt again. And on top of that....Jones, McKinnon, Drouin, Barkov I want them all!!!

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:30 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

And the game might be over before it even begins...

Quote:
adater ‏@adater
Matt Duchene (groin) won't play tonight

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
The Shermanator
Butts

vCash: 50
Urg.... Matty's been spending too much time with his girlfriend.

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Good Christ...

Bill Peckerskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:38 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

RIP 2012-2013 Season.

It was fun while it lasted. Duchene has been the only thing keeping this team from being a complete embarrassment.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
And the game might be over before it even begins...
I don't see the problem. It was obvious that he's injured for the last three games. We won't win the game anyway so why not give Duchene a bit time to heal?

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
I don't see the problem. It was obvious that he's injured for the last three games. We won't win the game anyway so why not give Duchene a bit time to heal?
No one's saying they should be playing him if he's injured, it's just the fact that the one guy who was practically carrying the team is now hurt. Hopefully it's just minor, but with groin injuries you just never know.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:48 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

How's JS Giguere with faceoffs?

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote