HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Markstrom Sent Back to SA

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2013, 03:32 PM
  #26
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I know because he did.

I'm saying though if he would've came up and allowed 5 goals per game (which is a possible scenario considering the small sample/the teams he faced) and was sent back down, it could've hurt his confidence some.

It just makes no sense to me to call him up temporarily to face, arguably, the two best teams in the conference. They put him in position to fail, and, for what it's worth, he didn't.
They brought him up IMO to see if he's ready. Which is why he started against two of the best teams. And he proved that he is. The team can't carry three goalies so my guess is one of Theodore/Clemmenson is gone soon. Most likely Clemmenson.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:35 PM
  #27
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
They brought him up IMO to see if he's ready. Which is why he started against two of the best teams. And he proved that he is. The team can't carry three goalies so my guess is one of Theodore/Clemmenson is gone soon. Most likely Clemmenson.
I think it's most likely Theodore.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:42 PM
  #28
RampageNate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
Pretty much. I think Columbus is worse than us, though.
Talent wise, no question.

But those kids bust their ***** every single shift and make playing against them difficult. Something Florida doesn't do.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:43 PM
  #29
RampageNate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I think it's most likely Theodore.
Agreed. Has far more trade value.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:54 PM
  #30
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator
 
Boothinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,016
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I think it's most likely Theodore.
Clemmensen wont give you more than a 6th or 7th roudn pick..

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:55 PM
  #31
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator
 
Boothinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,016
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Talent wise, no question.

But those kids bust their ***** every single shift and make playing against them difficult. Something Florida doesn't do.
Agreed! They played a pretty good game against the NHL leading Blackhawks last night. We simply cant keep up with them..

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:59 PM
  #32
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here
 
AaronEkbald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Talent wise, no question.

But those kids bust their ***** every single shift and make playing against them difficult. Something Florida doesn't do.
..consistently for three straight periods.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:14 PM
  #33
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Guys, relax. He said weeks ago that he was going to be calling him up here and there but it wasnt going to be long term. We all want him to stay up and one of the others gone, but Tallon clearly isn't there yet.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:20 PM
  #34
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I think it's most likely Theodore.
I don't think we should trade Theodore because he won't likely net us a high enough return. The teams he would likely waive for would probably pay peanuts so what's the point? Clemmenson isn't capable of being a stop gap for Markstrom.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:21 PM
  #35
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat
 
PantherboyHTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Blue Jay Nation...
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Guys, relax. He said weeks ago that he was going to be calling him up here and there but it wasnt going to be long term. We all want him to stay up and one of the others gone, but Tallon clearly isn't there yet.
I think it was to give Thedore a much needed breather.

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:23 PM
  #36
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
I think it was to give Thedore a much needed breather.
Me too, which is what Tallon said would be the case weeks ago, because this is a shortened season.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:26 PM
  #37
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I don't think we should trade Theodore because he won't likely net us a high enough return. The teams he would likely waive for would probably pay peanuts so what's the point? Clemmenson isn't capable of being a stop gap for Markstrom.
I think we could get a 3rd or 4th for Theodore. Some teams right now could use a vet goalie. Markstrom doesn't need a stopgap anymore, he's capable of being this team's starter or at the very least a 1B. We can buy out Clemmer or figure out how to move him in the summer, and sign a better goalie to play with Markstrom next season.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:29 PM
  #38
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I don't think we should trade Theodore because he won't likely net us a high enough return. The teams he would likely waive for would probably pay peanuts so what's the point? Clemmenson isn't capable of being a stop gap for Markstrom.
Clemmer wouldn't be a stopgap; he would be Markstrom's backup.

Theo isn't under contract next year; Clemmensen is. Theo seems like the odd man out.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:35 PM
  #39
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I think we could get a 3rd or 4th for Theodore. Some teams right now could use a vet goalie. Markstrom doesn't need a stopgap anymore, he's capable of being this team's starter or at the very least a 1B. We can buy out Clemmer or figure out how to move him in the summer, and sign a better goalie to play with Markstrom next season.
Or we could just keep him and live with it for another year. It's not as if we're going to find a backup who's a whole lot better.

Backups are backups for a reason. Not a lot separates them. The quality of their play is usually dependent on the system/how the team in front of them performs.

Clemmer has some weaknesses, but he's an NHL backup. He gets more undeserved criticism than any player on this team.

Weak 5-hole and all, I think if you ask any NHL fan if they would take a guy who's gone 15-7-9 with a ~91save%/2.6 GAA on mediocre teams the past two years, just about everyone would say "sure, why not?"

I'm starting to think there's a reason he was signed for two years. Tallon probably knows Theodore is likely retiring after the year. Not a bad idea to have a goalie on the team backing up Markstrom who knows the team's system.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:49 PM
  #40
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Or we could just keep him and live with it for another year. It's not as if we're going to find a backup who's a whole lot better.

Backups are backups for a reason. Not a lot separates them. The quality of their play is usually dependent on the system/how the team in front of them performs.

Clemmer has some weaknesses, but he's an NHL backup. He gets more undeserved criticism than any player on this team.

Weak 5-hole and all, I think if you ask any NHL fan if they would take a guy who's gone 15-7-9 with a ~91save%/2.6 GAA on mediocre teams the past two years, just about everyone would say "sure, why not?"

I'm starting to think there's a reason he was signed for two years. Tallon probably knows Theodore is likely retiring after the year. Not a bad idea to have a goalie on the team backing up Markstrom who knows the team's system.
I could live with Clemmer next season, but it's not the ideal situation and there will definitely be better backups out there. I just worry that if Markstrom struggles for a bit, and then Clemmer has one of his periods where he struggles mightily, then it could get really ugly.

I think there is definitely a difference between Biron, Vokoun, Garon, Enroth etc. and the likes of Clemmer or LaBarbara. We could definitely use an upgrade.

Clemmer can go through some stretches where he looks really good, but he can also go through stretches where he looks like the worst goalie in the league. At the end of the day, I guess the stats even out, but it's his erratic performance that I worry about. I know what Tallon was planning when he signed him for two seasons, but I don't think Clemmer has lived up to his expectations. He did play a good game in Philly though. I would say I hope he continues to turn it around, but that's contrary to the tank.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:12 PM
  #41
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post

I think there is definitely a difference between Biron, Vokoun, Garon, Enroth etc. and the likes of Clemmer or LaBarbara. We could definitely use an upgrade.
Personally, I disagree. They might be better, but I don't think the gap is significant enough to just absorb Clemmer's remaining salary.

My brother is a Rangers fan and I've seen threads on these boards with the same complaints about Biron that we have about Clemmer. Weak 5-hole, terrible in shootouts.

Garon is 35, and I just don't see a reason to do that. Clemmer actually has better career #'s, although Garon has played for some terrible teams, to be fair.

Vokoun has gained many skeptics since his departure here, as many question his ability to win big games, etc. He's better than Clemmer, but he's also pretty erratic, as well.

Enroth might be interesting since he's 24 and has some upside, but he'll probably cost more than Clemmer.

I think what it boils down to is how many games they expect from Markstrom next year. If it's a 1A/1B type of thing, they might want to get a better goalie. But if Markstrom is going to start about 60 games, Clemmer has proven he can certainly handle 20-25 and do pretty well for a team.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:42 PM
  #42
Benched
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,884
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Personally, I disagree. They might be better, but I don't think the gap is significant enough to just absorb Clemmer's remaining salary.

My brother is a Rangers fan and I've seen threads on these boards with the same complaints about Biron that we have about Clemmer. Weak 5-hole, terrible in shootouts.

Garon is 35, and I just don't see a reason to do that. Clemmer actually has better career #'s, although Garon has played for some terrible teams, to be fair.

Vokoun has gained many skeptics since his departure here, as many question his ability to win big games, etc. He's better than Clemmer, but he's also pretty erratic, as well.

Enroth might be interesting since he's 24 and has some upside, but he'll probably cost more than Clemmer.

I think what it boils down to is how many games they expect from Markstrom next year. If it's a 1A/1B type of thing, they might want to get a better goalie. But if Markstrom is going to start about 60 games, Clemmer has proven he can certainly handle 20-25 and do pretty well for a team.
Pretty much this. I think if our backup has to start 30+ games, Clemmer can't be it because he'll do more bad than good. If that's the case, we need someone better. I think Markstrom is ready to handle 60 games, though, personally. It just depends on if the FO feels the same way.

Either way, I definitely think with Clem under contract and Theo not, he's the odd man out right now. Unfortunate because he's been decent here. I liked Theo.

If we do in fact need another goalie next year, Brian Elliott is looking to be the odd man out in St. Louis with how Halak and Allen have played. He was 23-10 with a 1.56 last year.


Last edited by Benched: 02-25-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:05 PM
  #43
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Personally, I disagree. They might be better, but I don't think the gap is significant enough to just absorb Clemmer's remaining salary.

My brother is a Rangers fan and I've seen threads on these boards with the same complaints about Biron that we have about Clemmer. Weak 5-hole, terrible in shootouts.

Garon is 35, and I just don't see a reason to do that. Clemmer actually has better career #'s, although Garon has played for some terrible teams, to be fair.

Vokoun has gained many skeptics since his departure here, as many question his ability to win big games, etc. He's better than Clemmer, but he's also pretty erratic, as well.

Enroth might be interesting since he's 24 and has some upside, but he'll probably cost more than Clemmer.

I think what it boils down to is how many games they expect from Markstrom next year. If it's a 1A/1B type of thing, they might want to get a better goalie. But if Markstrom is going to start about 60 games, Clemmer has proven he can certainly handle 20-25 and do pretty well for a team.
We agree to disagree then. There is definitely a noticeable difference between high-end and low-end backups. Whether it justifies buying out Clemmer, well maybe not since the Panthers are cheap.

While I'm sure he has his own flaws, Biron is definitely better than Clemmer. Anyways, I'm not saying we should sign any of the guys I listed. I'm just making the point that not all backup goalies are interchangeable. This is actually a good crop of UFA backups.

I don't know how they would know how many games to expect from Markstrom next season. He's a young goalie who's going to be the starter for a full season for the first time. It's very feasible he could have one or two stretches where he struggles. It would be ideal to have another goalie who could spell him and give solid play while Marky takes the bench for awhile. I just don't think Clemmer is that ideal guy.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:06 PM
  #44
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscott View Post
This has screwup written all over it. My only guess is that they had a trade worked out for Clemm that fell through at the last minute.
My guess is they were trying to trade Theo and he invoked his NTC.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:06 PM
  #45
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
Pretty much this. I think if our backup has to start 30+ games, Clemmer can't be it because he'll do more bad than good. If that's the case, we need someone better. I think Markstrom is ready to handle 60 games, though, personally. It just depends on if the FO feels the same way.

Either way, I definitely think with Clem under contract and Theo not, he's the odd man out right now. Unfortunate because he's been decent here. I liked Theo.

If we do in fact need another goalie next year, Brian Elliott is looking to be the odd man out in St. Louis with how Halak and Allen have played. He was 23-10 with a 1.56 last year.
Elliott is out of our price range. We can probably afford to spend 1M max on a goalie, unless we want to hurt other areas of the team.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:26 PM
  #46
Benched
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,884
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Elliott is out of our price range. We can probably afford to spend 1M max on a goalie, unless we want to hurt other areas of the team.
He made $1.8 this year. He'll be taking a pay cut next year, being third string right now in STL. I bet we can get him for not much more than a mil unless someone offers him a starting job.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:42 PM
  #47
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
He made $1.8 this year. He'll be taking a pay cut next year, being third string right now in STL. I bet we can get him for not much more than a mil unless someone offers him a starting job.
But he was making 1.8 before the end of last season and the playoffs. He had almost a Vezina caliber season. Despite having a poor start, I think he'll still get a pretty good contract somewhere else. Maybe not what he hopes for, but I think definitely much more than 1M, on a multi-year deal. NJ might be looking for a starter if Brodeur retires, other potential teams are Toronto, Islanders, Philly, Tampa, Columbus, Edmonton, Phoenix, SJ.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:08 PM
  #48
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
He made $1.8 this year. He'll be taking a pay cut next year, being third string right now in STL. I bet we can get him for not much more than a mil unless someone offers him a starting job.
Brian Elliott still has a year left after this season. Either way he's garbage without Hitchcock's system.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:24 PM
  #49
ratmanfu
Registered User
 
ratmanfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,400
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Brian Elliott still has a year left after this season. Either way he's garbage without Hitchcock's system.
Couldn't agree more with this assessment.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:21 PM
  #50
Madhatter73
Registered User
 
Madhatter73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
My money's on Theo being gone before the deadline for a 2nd or 3rd rounder and Markstrom being promoted to our starter for the remainder of the season.

He was called up as a test. He passed.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.