HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Is Yakupov really the best player [highest potential ceiling] out of the 2012 draft?

Old
02-25-2013, 04:11 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
Is this a joke ?
Pure ceiling, I actually think that Rielly's is higher than Yak's. However, I think it's unlikely that Rielly will ever fully reach his ceiling, and consistently at that.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:12 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Edmonton fans were, and still are.
I don't think a single Oilers fan thinks Yakupov will score 60 goals in the NHL but okay.

I think he has the tools to be the best goal scorer on the Oilers but he won't be the best goal scorer hands down in the entire NHL like Stamkos is...

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:14 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I saw Yakupov alot in Sarnia and he never impressed me as much as my limited viewings of Galchenyuk. I don't know if Galchenyuk will have a better career, but I don't think Yakupov will be far and away the best forward of his draft class - if he even is considered the best when all is said and done.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
So do I. I'll take the physical two-way centre with a high-end skill set over a highly skilled winger any day of the week. Not to mention there are a number of intriguing D prospects from last draft which will take a few years to start making an impact in the NHL.

Wingers are rarely the best player from a draft IMO, unless they have ~Kovalchuk potential (which Yakupov doesn't have IMO) or its a weak draft with no franchise C/D

Centres/D can simply control a game much better than wingers can. So assuming one of the centres or D can become legitimate franchise talents, they should be able to be a stronger core piece than Yakupov will be.
Depends what you mean by physical.

If you mean a guy who doesn't shy away, goes into the corners to battle, then he is physical.

If you mean a guy who throws hits and can really drill a person from time to time, then he is not. He might become one, but right now he's not throwing his body around. He doesn't really have to, either.

He does have 11 blocked shots which is impressive imo.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Senor Catface

No, it's just that ever since he was drafted by the Oilers, public perception of Yakupov has changed dramatically. Call it group think, call it a short attention span, but whatever it is, it's a lark.

There was a poll on Yakupov before and after his being drafted, and those two polls dramatically show how everyone was suddenly "off" Yakupov as a player based on who he was drafted by, since there had been no games to change opinion.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:28 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
No, it's just that ever since he was drafted by the Oilers, public perception of Yakupov has changed dramatically. Call it group think, call it a short attention span, but whatever it is, it's a lark.

There was a poll on Yakupov before and after his being drafted, and those two polls dramatically show how everyone was suddenly "off" Yakupov as a player based on who he was drafted by, since there had been no games to change opinion.
This is one of my favorite threads to look back on : http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...hlight=yakupov

people on HF loved Yakupov, some even said he'd be better than Stamkos (first one I see is a Canadiens fan BTW). But like you said, as soon as he was drafted by the Oilers suddenly he's not that great of a pick, maybe a 30g scorer max.

then an Oilers fan comes in and says :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
Oiler fan taking Yakupov. But seriously people are starting to overrate Yakupov.
and another Oilers fan :

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I think Yakupov is pretty overrated on HF. Not that he isn't a top prospect, but I've seen a lot of people ranking him second to Grigorenko, so lets wait and see how his development goes this year before annointing Yakupov as a god.
Yet we're the ones who overrate Yakupov

Old
02-25-2013, 04:33 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
Stamkos' coach was trying to make it a point to show that "Stamkos wasn't NHL Ready". He was completely wrong and that's why he was fired.

Yakupov is in a much better environment to work in though. The Oilers basically gave the team to the young guns.
Why don't you compare Yakupov's ice time to other recent 1st overalls. Here was Stamkos

14:56 TOI, 2:50 PP TOI

Here's Yakupov

14:23 TOI, 2:51 PP TOI

Keep droning on about Yakupov's "great situation". Oilers have some offensive depth. RNH, Eberle, Hall, Gagner, Hemsky, Horcoff.. there's quite a bit of forwards who are getting more ice time than the rookie.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:33 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Why don't you compare Yakupov's ice time to other recent 1st overalls. Here was Stamkos

14:56 TOI, 2:50 PP TOI

Here's Yakupov

14:23 TOI, 2:51 PP TOI

Keep droning on about Yakupov's "great situation". Oilers have some offensive depth. RNH, Eberle, Hall, Gagner, Hemsky, Horcoff.. there's quite a bit of forwards who are getting more ice time than the rookie.
Hey man Yakupov gets to play with Chris VandeVelde!

Old
02-25-2013, 04:38 PM
ricky0034

Galchenyuk will be better

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:58 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
I've watched a lot of Oilers games this year and I honestly don't feel like Yakupov will as good as he's touted to be. Also, his potential isn't as high as people claim. Before I get flammed to death, listen to me.

He reminds me of a poor man's Ovi who doesn't have the size. It's kind of like how Afinogenov was a bankrupt man's Pavel Bure. We all know how difficult it is to score goals these days. The way he played in the OHL won't translate well into the NHL. He does have an amazing nose for the net. Great speed and a great shot.

I look at his play away from the puck and it's not very impressive either. [Yes, he's only 19 and has PLENTY time to improve]. But I see him as a 30-35G 40-45A 70-75 pts guy MAX at the peak of his career.

People were saying that this guy is a future multiple times 50G+ and 50A+ type of talent but I don't see it. Not in this era of hockey.
No you are pretty bang on.

But junior history!

Galchenyuk projects as 25-28G 45-42A 70pt player
Grigorenko projected to 35G-35A 70pt player
Yakupov projrcted to 35-40G 40A 75-80Pt player.
There is not much difference.
We took yakupov cause he could generate more goals with his speed.

I will take his 25G 25A rookie season pace
playing on his off wing.

Stamkos 79GM 23G 23A
Tavares 82GM 24G 30A
Hall 65GM 22G 20A
Yep does not compare well at all!

Last edited by oilerbear: 02-25-2013 at 05:06 PM.
oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:11 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Not to mention that OV was 20 in his rookie year.
good catch, he was still a rookie though...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
o great.. another insecure MTL fan starting a thread re Yakupov..

enjoy Galchenyuk now that you have him and let EDM fans be happy with the best player 2012 draft.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:25 PM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

I saw Stamkos regularly in junior as I did with Yakupov. And it's really not close. Stamkos is a world class player. While Yakupov was able to produce at a similar rate to Stamkos and has similar goal scoring ability, Stamkos does (and did) so many other different things that Yakupov didn't. Stamkos was always the first forward back. Stamkos always made his decisions based on the situation. He wasn't a passer or shooter he chose the best option without preference to one or the other. Yakupov has pretty much always been a shoot first player. Steven played every shift at full speed. I personally think Steven Stamkos is the best player in the world not in a Penguins' jersey right now. So to try and debate Yakupov vs. Stamkos is unfair to Yakupov.

In the 2012 Draft, We put Galchenyuk #1. We took a lot of heat for it. Not so much from people around Sarnia and most NHL scouts who saw we had him there but more so fans of the draft were very critical and apprehensive about Galchenyuk's #1 ranking. But thankfully Alex has shown why we have him here. I can't speak for anyone else but I wanted Galchenyuk there becasue at the end of the day he would be the best. I wasn't sure if he'd recover this fast from such a major injury, but I felt 5 years from now we'd know. I thought Nail would start out better due to injury, but Alex would bridge the gap and pull ahead by the 5 year mark.

Galchenyuk has got slightly less ice time than Yakupov, both have put up similar numbers with Galchenyuk actually leading right now. Add in the fact that Galchenyuk can play both centre and wing where as Yakupov is a winger. Galchenyuk is bigger and has been more reliable in his own zone. So you can probably guess who I feel is the best player in this draft, but you're comparing two very good players. Much like Hall and Seguin where both players have attributes and stats that allow this discussion to continue I'm sure it will be an ongoing process between Galchenyuk and Yakupov and I'm sure both teams are still very happy with their decisions.

RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Lacaar

As an Oiler fan if I had to describe Yakupov's play so far I'd say he doesn't look comfortable. He'll take some time to figure out the game and team etc.

It's a good dash here.. a hiccup there.

Montreal is on fire right now and Galchenyuk is definately the hot ticket item. Only time will tell.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHPscout View Post
I saw Stamkos regularly in junior as I did with Yakupov. And it's really not close. Stamkos is a world class player. While Yakupov was able to produce at a similar rate to Stamkos and has similar goal scoring ability, Stamkos does (and did) so many other different things that Yakupov didn't. Stamkos was always the first forward back. Stamkos always made his decisions based on the situation. He wasn't a passer or shooter he chose the best option without preference to one or the other. Yakupov has pretty much always been a shoot first player. Steven played every shift at full speed. I personally think Steven Stamkos is the best player in the world not in a Penguins' jersey right now. So to try and debate Yakupov vs. Stamkos is unfair to Yakupov.

In the 2012 Draft, We put Galchenyuk #1. We took a lot of heat for it. Not so much from people around Sarnia and most NHL scouts who saw we had him there but more so fans of the draft were very critical and apprehensive about Galchenyuk's #1 ranking. But thankfully Alex has shown why we have him here. I can't speak for anyone else but I wanted Galchenyuk there becasue at the end of the day he would be the best. I wasn't sure if he'd recover this fast from such a major injury, but I felt 5 years from now we'd know. I thought Nail would start out better due to injury, but Alex would bridge the gap and pull ahead by the 5 year mark.

Galchenyuk has got slightly less ice time than Yakupov, both have put up similar numbers with Galchenyuk actually leading right now. Add in the fact that Galchenyuk can play both centre and wing where as Yakupov is a winger. Galchenyuk is bigger and has been more reliable in his own zone. So you can probably guess who I feel is the best player in this draft, but you're comparing two very good players. Much like Hall and Seguin where both players have attributes and stats that allow this discussion to continue I'm sure it will be an ongoing process between Galchenyuk and Yakupov and I'm sure both teams are still very happy with their decisions.
so in short ... stop making these threads until its the year 2017 ..

Old
02-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Highmarker

Yak really hasn't been given much of an opportunity. Tonight for example he's starting on the 4th line.

He's got 10 pts

Ebs has 12
And Nuge has a measly 7.

The oilers just can't score goals as a team so the fact he has 10 pts with limited playing time is actually pretty impressive.

Edit: to repeat what others have already stated. Playing with two guys like Gags and Hemsky is a tough position for a rookie as well. Both players can be unpredictable at times, especially together.

Last edited by Highmarker: 02-25-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Highmarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:10 PM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
so in short ... stop making these threads until its the year 2017 ..
In short this question may not be answered for a long time. It's a very interesting discussion and I personally don't discourage it.

They are not even 20 games into their NHL careers so the OP question is "Is Yakupov the best player out of the 2012 draft" Realistically there is no way to answer that definitively today, but it does make for an interesting discussion.

RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
o great.. another insecure MTL fan starting a thread re Yakupov..

enjoy Galchenyuk now that you have him and let EDM fans be happy with the best player 2012 draft.
I'm glad that Montreal has Gally and the Oilers have Yakupov. Two Canadian teams that did ****** and got interegal parts for their future.

Yakupov is a pure goal scorer. I think he's even more so than Eberle. That's a need for the Oilers.

Montreal got a tremendously skilled centre with some size. A need Montreal has had for, I think before I was born in 88...

As of right now, the Oilers could have the best player from the '12 draft... and they could have gotten him in the later rounds.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:18 PM
oilers92

he a rookie who unlike the previous number 1's on this team is being held accountable for his defensive play right from day one, game against phx got put on the 1st line had an assist plenty of offensive chances then one bad miss play in the neutral zone gets put back on the 3rd/4th line...hes not getting as much opportunity as some other players are and is being taught to play a better defensive game

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Most expert predicted a rookie season hovering around 30+goals and 35+ assists. (for a full 80)

They also predicted a sophomore season of around 50 goals and 40+ assists. This is the general consensus. That would put him at Stamkos level.
Which experts are these? Certainly no one connected with the Oilers.

BTW most experts expected the OIlers to score in bunches. But at this point they have 40 goals in 1 games and Yakupov has points on 10 of those goals. This despite the fact that he is currently 18th on the Oilers in TOI/G and is 7th amongst their regular forwards in PP time per game.

The plan all along was to moderate when and where he played. They did this with RNH last year. They can afford to do this with Yakupov because of the play of Gagner and Hemsky in the offensive end.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

When it comes to the winger or the centre I almost always would go for the centre. I think Galchenyuk has a very good chance of being the better player.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:30 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmarker View Post
Yak really hasn't been given much of an opportunity. Tonight for example he's starting on the 4th line.

He's got 10 pts

Ebs has 12
And Nuge has a measly 7.

The oilers just can't score goals as a team so the fact he has 10 pts with limited playing time is actually pretty impressive.

Edit: to repeat what others have already stated. Playing with two guys like Gags and Hemsky is a tough position for a rookie as well. Both players can be unpredictable at times, especially together.
You do realize that Yakupov playing on the 2nd line with Gagner and Hemsky is a little better than the 3rd line with Eller/Gallagher and Prust (who's had so many missed easy goals).

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Redden

Right now I think it's impossible to say how good yakupov will be. He is playing pretty poorly in my opinion and not like a player who deserves ten points this season. He looks very timid and almost scared of the puck at times. He gives up the puck constantly and very rarely generates much offence. In saying that though, his skill level is very high. His shot is unreal, he's very quick, and his passion is off the charts. He just needs to get comfortable before he can utilize all his tools. Until this happens, we won't know how good he will be.

Redden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHPscout View Post
In short this question may not be answered for a long time. It's a very interesting discussion and I personally don't discourage it.

They are not even 20 games into their NHL careers so the OP question is "Is Yakupov the best player out of the 2012 draft" Realistically there is no way to answer that definitively today, but it does make for an interesting discussion.
If by intersting discussions you mean ... prospect bashing and a whole lot of bickering then you have a valid point..
"is Yak the best player out of 2012" IMO is a stupid question since it is way too early to make a judgement..

Old
02-25-2013, 06:46 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Pure ceiling, I actually think that Rielly's is higher than Yak's. However, I think it's unlikely that Rielly will ever fully reach his ceiling, and consistently at that.
What do you think of Trouba then, as he easily outplayed Reilly at the wjc, and is dominating the NCAA now?

By the way. Galchenyuk

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote