HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Yankee and Dodger stadiums (and maybe more) to host NHL outdoor games?

Old
02-25-2013, 04:46 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
The whole outdoor hockey thing has jumped the shark...it's really not even the slightest entertaining anymore and the quality of play is really poor.

What I don't understand is, why must they play during the day? Wouldn't the ice be better if they played after the sun went down?

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:51 PM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Yankee Stadium won't happen as long as they still have the Pinstripe Bowl. I'm sure that it'll happen eventually, though.
Pinstripe Bowl has 1 year left on the contract. Secondly, it is a nothing-bowl. Could easily be moved to earlier in December on a weeknight. Yankee Stadium hosts the NYC Public HS football championship. It is in the first week of december, so the field is already lined for football by mid-december.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
The whole outdoor hockey thing has jumped the shark...it's really not even the slightest entertaining anymore and the quality of play is really poor.

What I don't understand is, why must they play during the day? Wouldn't the ice be better if they played after the sun went down?
On this point we agree, and it contributes to why I feel that there could (and should) be more than one outdoor game: Have one start at 3 with the other starting at 7:30 and you still have ample time for OT or time to conduct whatever ceremonies you want between the games and still have them start on time.

Make it a major day event similar to what US College Football seems to try to do with bowl games.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by epo View Post
Outdoor games should be about the fans in the stadium. I don't know why someone would watch a game on TV just because it is outdoors.
maybe the same reason that I don't know why any hockey fan would pay a higher ticket price to watch a game from muuuuch farther away (TERRIBLE sight lines) in freezing weather...?

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
Devils-Rangers Yankee Stadium 2014, book it!
I'd love that, and the Devils/Rangers rivalry has certainly caught national attention (as seen by 2 potential NBC games later this season) but I still can't see it

What they should do when the WC is in New York is have a Devils vs Islanders game on the outdoor rink a few days after the WC.. Just only broadcast it locally on MSG, that way you don't cut into the WC brand but you get a lot more money out of the rink's short life span.. It would absolutely sell out

People have suggested MetLife Stadium where the Jets and Giants play, but the Devils owner has said several times that there will not be a WC in New Jersey without the Devils in it

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3000
How about a day-night double header at Yankee Stadium? Islanders-Devils in the afternoon and a Rangers-Flyers rematch at night.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:32 AM
NJDevils7

Is Metlife out of the question? I know they we able to do other football stadiums because they the football team play a few road games on the road. But the either the Jets or Giants are always playing a home game, right?

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:34 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils7 View Post
Is Metlife out of the question? I know they we able to do other football stadiums because they the football team play a few road games on the road. But the either the Jets or Giants are always playing a home game, right?
It would require lots of planning with (and likely compensation for) the NFL. Jets and Giants have done Thursday/Sunday or Sunday/Monday back to back home games before in order to leave the stadium vacant for a big-time concert that was scheduled years in advance. Basically the NHL, NFL, Giants, and Jets would have to start talking now in order to have the game happen in 2015 at the absolute earliest, most likely much later. That being said, if there is a Winter Classic in Metlife, it will be Rangers-Devils as the State of NJ and Vanderbeek have both made it very clear that any event in NJ will have to involve the Devils and not having the Rangers would defeat the point of the NHL trying to get the NY Media Market to pay attention. If there is ever a Devils-Flyers WC (the other plausible WC possibility involving the Devils, sorry Islanders) it would most likely be at Rutgers Stadium to capitalize on the geographic rivalry.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:05 AM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Minnesota/WInnipeg in either of the 3 new football stadiums. Winnipeg and Minny fans would travel well I think. (Well I think Winnipeg would, not too sure if Minnesotans would like coming up to Winnipeg?)
The new Bombers stadium is shaping up to be a real beauty. Would be an excellent place for a game.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:34 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
People have suggested MetLife Stadium where the Jets and Giants play, but the Devils owner has said several times that there will not be a WC in New Jersey without the Devils in it
How do the Devils get to make that decision? Not as if the Devils and the NJSEA are on good terms since the Devils left Brendan Byrne.

But yes, Giants stadium would be the best venue. Larger, better set-up for hockey. Another great spot would be Miche Stadium at West Point, but the capacity is only ~45K.

The real issue with Rangers-Devils is NBC. When talk was Rangers-Isles at either Yankee, Shea, New Yankee, or New Shea, NBC objected. They supposedly wanted 2 different markets represented. They feared there wouldn't be much interest outside of the NY metro area. Which is why Rangers-Bruins has surfaced as a possibility. Only way I could see the Devils being in the WC is if they ever had a huge marquee player, and I mean top 2-3 in the league in terms of names. So, the next Crosby, Ovechkin.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:40 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
It would require lots of planning with (and likely compensation for) the NFL. Jets and Giants have done Thursday/Sunday or Sunday/Monday back to back home games before in order to leave the stadium vacant for a big-time concert that was scheduled years in advance. Basically the NHL, NFL, Giants, and Jets would have to start talking now in order to have the game happen in 2015 at the absolute earliest, most likely much later. That being said, if there is a Winter Classic in Metlife, it will be Rangers-Devils as the State of NJ and Vanderbeek have both made it very clear that any event in NJ will have to involve the Devils and not having the Rangers would defeat the point of the NHL trying to get the NY Media Market to pay attention. If there is ever a Devils-Flyers WC (the other plausible WC possibility involving the Devils, sorry Islanders) it would most likely be at Rutgers Stadium to capitalize on the geographic rivalry.
Yup. I remember reading it would require both the Jets and Giants to play their last 2 games on the road, maybe even their last 3. Don't see them every agreeing to it. Only way I see them ever using Giants Stadium is if they move the game to February. Maybe the weekend after the Super Bowl or President's Day weekend.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
maybe the same reason that I don't know why any hockey fan would pay a higher ticket price to watch a game from muuuuch farther away (TERRIBLE sight lines) in freezing weather...?
In some cities, it's difficult or impossible to get tickets to any regular games, so an outdoor game in a football stadium, say, is going to have a much larger number of tickets available.

I'm a Winnipegger. Like a ****-ton of other Winnipeggers, I couldn't get Jets tickets because they sold out in minutes. If they do a Heritage Classic here one day at our brand-new football stadium (hint hint, NHL), I'm absolutely going, even if it's the worst seat in the house. I'll be able to go because there will be significantly more tickets available for that game.

Also, re: "freezing weather"... that's relative. Most of these US cities that have held Winter Classics aren't actually that cold, at least in terms people in cities like Winnipeg and Edmonton are familiar with.

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:08 AM
blamebettman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
How do the Devils get to make that decision? Not as if the Devils and the NJSEA are on good terms since the Devils left Brendan Byrne.

But yes, Giants stadium would be the best venue. Larger, better set-up for hockey. Another great spot would be Miche Stadium at West Point, but the capacity is only ~45K.

The real issue with Rangers-Devils is NBC. When talk was Rangers-Isles at either Yankee, Shea, New Yankee, or New Shea, NBC objected. They supposedly wanted 2 different markets represented. They feared there wouldn't be much interest outside of the NY metro area. Which is why Rangers-Bruins has surfaced as a possibility. Only way I could see the Devils being in the WC is if they ever had a huge marquee player, and I mean top 2-3 in the league in terms of names. So, the next Crosby, Ovechkin.
huh? vagiants stadium is a parking lot. It's Metlife Stadium now.

Rangers-Bruins have no real rivalry, and Boston has already played the Winter Classic. NJ and NYR just played in an intense ECF and have a rivalry. It makes the most sense. Plus with all the NY and NJ transplants across the country, I think there will be plenty of interest outside the area.

If Vanderbeek said that no Winter Classic happens in NJ without the Devils...well that is kinda strange but perhaps he's greased the palms of some NJSEA folks

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:

Yeah I mean I'm not really sure, but I do know that both Vanderbeek and some state officials have said that the Devils would have to be included for it to be in NJ.. Which is why I think they might be able to appease the Devils with a Devs/Isles or maybe Devs/Flyers game on the same rink a few days later

Like I said, NBC seems to at least be considering marketing the Devils/Rangers rivalry nationally by having them as tentative NBC games at the very end of the season.. I think the ECF gave it national attention that actually caught on and, if the cards are right this season, could continue to build with potentially 2 marquee games.. Sadly, the thing that could help kill it is having Brodeur retire right before this become viable

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:11 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
Yeah I mean I'm not really sure, but I do know that both Vanderbeek and some state officials have said that the Devils would have to be included for it to be in NJ.. Which is why I think they might be able to appease the Devils with a Devs/Isles or maybe Devs/Flyers game on the same rink a few days later

Like I said, NBC seems to at least be considering marketing the Devils/Rangers rivalry nationally by having them as tentative NBC games at the very end of the season.. I think the ECF gave it national attention that actually caught on and, if the cards are right this season, could continue to build with potentially 2 marquee games
I remember when they said it. And, I remember thinking, "How can he make that claim?" Just like if they wanted to have Isles-Devils and Yankee or Shea, would Dolan have the ability to prevent it?

As for the games at the end of the season, are those national telecasts or are they showing 3 or 4 games at the same time to different parts of the country.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:15 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
huh? vagiants stadium is a parking lot. It's Metlife Stadium now.

Rangers-Bruins have no real rivalry, and Boston has already played the Winter Classic. NJ and NYR just played in an intense ECF and have a rivalry. It makes the most sense. Plus with all the NY and NJ transplants across the country, I think there will be plenty of interest outside the area.

If Vanderbeek said that no Winter Classic happens in NJ without the Devils...well that is kinda strange but perhaps he's greased the palms of some NJSEA folks
I call it Giants Stadium as it was the Giants who had it built. Jets were just riding their coattails. I also refuse to acknowledge the corporate names, hence why I call the Mets park, "Shea".

As someone who has been to probably 30-40 Rangers-Devils games both at MSG and in NJ, I am well aware of the rivalry.

Anyways, the Flyers have played in 2, Detroit will be playing their 2nd. Flyers and Bruins didn't have much of a rivalry, they played. I would love Rangers-Devils and I would love to see rangers-isles, but I doubt it happens. Unless NBC changes their tune. They already shot down both.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:22 AM
blamebettman*

Quote:
I call it Giants Stadium as it was the Giants who had it built. Jets were just riding their coattails. I also refuse to acknowledge the corporate names, hence why I call the Mets park, "Shea".

As someone who has been to probably 30-40 Rangers-Devils games both at MSG and in NJ, I am well aware of the rivalry.

Anyways, the Flyers have played in 2, Detroit will be playing their 2nd. Flyers and Bruins didn't have much of a rivalry, they played. I would love Rangers-Devils and I would love to see rangers-isles, but I doubt it happens. Unless NBC changes their tune. They already shot down both.
Metlife Stadium is fully 50-50, the Mara's couldn't build it without the Jets. That dump cost 2 billion dollars! And I'm sure if the lordly giants even owned 50.01% of it they'd stick their name on it...which they can't because it's as much the Jets as it is the Giants. And it's an enormous disgrace of a stadium regardless.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:26 AM
patnyrnyg

I agree about the stadium, I hate it. However, the Giants got it built. Jets couldn't get their West Side stadium, the Giants would have, so they rode the Giants coattails.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:29 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

I think 2 outdoor games is enough. More would make the event less special.

QcBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:32 AM
blamebettman*

Quote:
I agree about the stadium, I hate it. However, the Giants got it built. Jets couldn't get their West Side stadium, the Giants would have, so they rode the Giants coattails.
Well the Jets could've build the West Side Stadium themselves, it's whatever scummy elements in NYC that got it blocked. If the WSS was built the Giants would've just remained at Giants Stadium. Because there was no chance they were spending 2 bil of their own money...but once WSS was over with they had a partner. Not someone riding their coattails. Heck Metlife rhymes with Jetlife if anything.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:34 AM
patnyrnyg

Yes, it got blocked. And, if the Giants had said they wanted a stadium on the West Side, you can bet it would be built by now.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:10 AM
blamebettman*

Quote:
Yes, it got blocked. And, if the Giants had said they wanted a stadium on the West Side, you can bet it would be built by now.
Not a chance. Woody Johnson has more $$$ than the Mara's and Tisch's and couldn't get it built! The Johnson family itself is worth 13 bil which is worth more than many owners COMBINED!

Old
02-26-2013, 09:21 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Not a chance. Woody Johnson has more $$$ than the Mara's and Tisch's and couldn't get it built! The Johnson family itself is worth 13 bil which is worth more than many owners COMBINED!
Wasn't just about money. Robert Tisch made a lot of friends in NYC the last few years of his life. He built new football fields for every HS in NYC that wanted one. Gave the AD's a blank check for the field to be re-done, bleachers repaired/replaced/built, storage sheds to be built, lockerrooms to be built near the field, concession stands. I ref HS ball in the city and was told all about the process. He was a well known and respected philanthropist, and his pull would have got it done.

If it was just about the money, Johnson would have likely had a football stadium built out at shea.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I feel that there could (and should) be more than one outdoor game: Have one start at 3 with the other starting at 7:30 and you still have ample time for OT or time to conduct whatever ceremonies you want between the games and still have them start on time.

Make it a major day event similar to what US College Football seems to try to do with bowl games.
This is entirely dependent on location, though.

There's been a lot of talk about how the Heritage Classic should come to Winnipeg now that we have a brand new CFL stadium here. Great. Awesome decision. I love it. I'll be there.

However, doing an outdoor game after dark in Winnipeg in the middle of February? It's late Feb. right now, and it's been beautiful weather this week so far... but a week or two ago it was well below -30C with the windchill, and that **** just gets even colder overnight. Not exactly ideal conditions if you're trying to convince tens of thousands of people to sit around outside for a few hours.

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:39 AM
patnyrnyg

I do agree with those who say more than 2 games would be overdoing it. By 2, I mean a Winter Classic in the US and a Heritage Classic in Canada. Don't need more than 1 outdoor game per country in a year. I also do not think a Heritage Classic needs to be limited to 2 Canadian teams. Could do Montreal-Boston at McGill's football stadium for example.