HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Official Blackhawks Trade Proposal/Trade Rumour Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Marotte Marauder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Determinism has yet to mount a reasonable case for how it applies to quantum mechanics.

As best we can tell, quantum mechanics is objectively random.
As best we can tell? That's another way of saying you have not discovered the yet unknown variable or hidden mechanism.

The deterministic case is just as strong as that is it not? The case being that one doesn't know what one doesn't know.

One man's random for example, is clearly explainable by another man. The one who understands the key.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Illinihockey

This is stupid, of course there is randomness in sports, its why sample size is an important concept.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
So overall he's less productive than his linemates? Gee an actual use for +/-.

Thanks MG
No ****!!! He's playing with Sharp and Kane. Not many C's in the league can keep up with them offensively.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
As best we can tell? That's another way of saying you have not discovered the yet unknown variable or hidden mechanism.

The deterministic case is just as strong as that is it not? The case being that one doesn't know what one doesn't know.

One man's random for example, is clearly explainable by another man. The one who understands the key.
No, "as best we can tell" is another way of saying that scientific understanding is ever-evolving, never set in stone.

Determinism was a central concept of the Bohr-Einstein debates ("God does not play dice") and it's been scrambling for evidence for the 100+ years since then. It's not that people haven't tried to argue it, it's that their efforts have been stymied by actual evidence it doesn't exist. Bell's Theorem alone states that no theory of local hidden variables can ever reproduce all of the predictions of quantum mechanics. Determinists moved the goalposts, saying there are non-local hidden variables that we're not accounting for, but again, there's no evidence for this and actually some of their arguments would even involve violating the theory of relativity. Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principle made things even harder for determinists. Just the concept of determinism at that level would imply things (i.e. a universal wave function, or infinite parallel universes) that we just have no conclusive evidence for accepting.

Basically, quantum mechanics has been a thorn in determinism's side ever since it first appeared.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
No ****!!! He's playing with Sharp and Kane. Not many C's in the league can keep up with them offensively.
I love it! Crappy linemates over the years have held Bolland back. Now he's playing with linemates that are too good. Got it all covered now.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
I love it! Crappy linemates over the years have held Bolland back. Now he's playing with linemates that are too good. Got it all covered now.
There is no doubt the ****** linemates he had held him back. He's probably still suffering by expecting the passes to go to crap, or expecting crappy passes.

But the point is still there, not many C's in the league can keep up offensively with Kane and Sharp.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:18 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Please. Tell me the proper useful function for the stat.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
So overall he's less productive than his linemates? Gee an actual use for +/-.

Thanks MG
Wrong, his production has nothing to do with +/-, that's what points are for. +/- is simply being out there for a goal or a goal against in even strength play. Bolland could be on a line with Crosby and Stamkos, never touch the puck, finish with 9 points but still be +100 because of what his linemates do. It has nothing to do with his point total. Stamkos leads the league in points, +2, Tavares is 3rd in points, -2. Meanwhile Mark Fraser is +13 with a total of 2 points. What does that tell me, nothing, because it's a meaningless stat.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Wrong, his production has nothing to do with +/-, that's what points are for. +/- is simply being out there for a goal or a goal against in even strength play. Bolland could be on a line with Crosby and Stamkos, never touch the puck, finish with 9 points but still be +100 because of what his linemates do. It has nothing to do with his point total. Stamkos leads the league in points, +2, Tavares is 3rd in points, -2. Meanwhile Mark Fraser is +13 with a total of 2 points. What does that tell me, nothing, because it's a meaningless stat.
It is a reflection of his productivity compared to his linemates. His contribution has been net negative while Sharp and Kane are net positive. ES only.

So unless you think Bolland is so unlucky to be the linemate always stepping onto the ice as the opponent scores or stepping off as the Hawks score, it is a reflection of his play.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
It is a reflection of his productivity compared to his linemates. His contribution has been net negative while Sharp and Kane are net positive. ES only.

So unless you think Bolland is so unlucky to be the linemate always stepping onto the ice as the opponent scores or stepping off as the Hawks score, it is a reflection of his play.
Explain how he has such a crappy +/- compared to Kane and Sharp when he plays every minute at even strength with them? Kane and Sharp go off the ice when the puck goes to the defensive zone, and Bolland goes off when the puck goes to the offensive zone, that's the ONLY possible explanation for it.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:02 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
5v5 Goals Against:
Bolland - 10
Kane - 10
Sharp - 9

On Ice Shooting %:
Bolland - 6.58%
Kane - 12.5%
Sharp - 7.89%

On Ice SV%:
Bolland - .907
Kane - .926
Sharp - .929

5v5 TOI/G:
Bolland - 13:14
Kane - 16:17
Sharp - 14:19

Personally I think Bolland is struggling, but has largely been unlucky so far this year. Also Kane and Sharp tend to extend their shifts when the puck is in the offensive zone (leading to more scoring chances) while Bolland is pretty consistent with the length of his shifts (nothing to do with the stats just something I have observed).

Last edited by sketch22: 02-25-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: clarification
Old
02-25-2013, 06:12 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
his +/- is 12 below kane and 6 below Sharp. if you don't think that shows he s not played well, you're crazy. the team is almost completely impotent when he's on the ice. despite playing a huge portion of his minutes with kane and Sharp, he's been on the ice for only 7 es goals. he's hurt the offense. you can see it watching the games and you can see it in the stats

Last edited by madgoat33: 02-25-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Bolland hasn't played well, Sharp hasn't played well too and still does.

+/- is a BS stat and tells next to nothing after 18-19 games.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:23 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Just two games ago people wanted Sharp, dropped to the third line, scratched, and cut. He was playing horribly according to most and yet he was a + players. Bolland being a - is random. No he isn't the same offensive players Kane and Sharp are, and neither of them are the defensive player Bolland is.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:07 AM
madgoat33

its a game based on skill, its not a random occurrence.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:33 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

going back to the topic, I'd like to call the Flames and ask about Cervenka... not Iginla.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
With ROR now back with Avs and the costs going up for them

Gotta hope Bowman checks into availablity of Stastny

Old
02-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
With ROR now back with Avs and the costs going up for them

Gotta hope Bowman checks into availablity of Stastny
@ 6.5mil?? Not happening, no thank you.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:17 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
@ 6.5mil?? Not happening, no thank you.
I've said before that Stastny becomes a hell of a lot more attractive at 3.75M if they will retain half of the cap it.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:35 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
I'm wondering why people are bringing up changing the roster. Kruger's proven himself thus far to be more than capable of handling whatever role he needs to. He's not somebody we need to try and replace.

I think if a top six C goes on LTIR, that's when you go to the trade market.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:42 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
If the right opportunity comes up, you take it. Other players aren't going to poison the team if they make us even stronger and deeper. Now if requires players from the roster, it is likely a no, I agree on that.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:46 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
5v5 Goals Against:
Bolland - 10
Kane - 10
Sharp - 9

On Ice Shooting %:
Bolland - 6.58%
Kane - 12.5%
Sharp - 7.89%

On Ice SV%:
Bolland - .907
Kane - .926
Sharp - .929

5v5 TOI/G:
Bolland - 13:14
Kane - 16:17
Sharp - 14:19

Personally I think Bolland is struggling, but has largely been unlucky so far this year. Also Kane and Sharp tend to extend their shifts when the puck is in the offensive zone (leading to more scoring chances) while Bolland is pretty consistent with the length of his shifts (nothing to do with the stats just something I have observed).
I don't think Bolland has been the same player defensively for a couple of years now. He's shown some offensive flashes, but he's not nearly as effective in his own zone as he once was.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

We should pursue the best 2nd line C option that we could, and if nothing comes of it, then we need to get a solid #3 C like we did in '09 when we got Pahlsson. I'm happy with our defense and, right now, our offense. Would much rather have 2 #3C than Bolland and Shaw as our 2/3C in the playoffs.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Stastny has this and 1 more year left on the contract... If the Avs - who have more than enough Cap Space - keep a bit of his Cap Hit, it would work out well. Stastny would be a perfect addition to our team. Gladly would take him. Stalberg + 1st + higher prospect (not Danault, Saad, TT or McNeill)

Old
03-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Not sure I'd be okay with letting Stalberg go quite yet though... even though Stastny would be a great addition. Ya gotta look at our strengths at our prospect pool to deal from... Pirri, Kayes, Danault, McNeill etc. are where you have to look from. Pirri would be the most tradeable, IMO, as long as you believe that Bolland/Shaw/Danault/McNeill is the solution to our 2/3C problem.

If it were me, I'd go:

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Bolland-Kane
Stalberg-Danault-Shaw
Carcillo-Kruger-Jayes

for next year. Danault and Kruger are exchangeable depending on performance. Jayes replaces Bickell who I feel like isn't worth the upgrade in money/contract that he'd ask for. ****, you could even plug Morin somewhere in that line-up and make it even more stacked.

Closed Thread