HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League 2012-12 I: Gary and Donald sitting in a tree

Old
01-24-2013, 04:17 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
I really don't know why I decided to give NHL Live another chance today. In the past it always seems like IF they ever talked about the Avalanche, it would always be for what seemed like no more than about 10-15 seconds, while spending all the time on the show talking about all the East teams, especially the Canadiens/Leafs/Rags/Pens/Flyers/etc.

So today, figuring that with the news of O'Reilly coming home, I figured I'd flip it on and see if they talk about it, and maybe have someone like McKenzie on to talk about the situation.

They start out with PK Subban, talk about him, then briefly mention the O'Reilly situation, and then they went RIGHT BACK to talking about PK Subban for the next several minutes.

Someone watching NHL for the first time, watching this show so far, would get the impression that PK Subban is the second coming of the Lord.

But I shouldn't be surprised, whenever the people on NHL Live EVENTUALLY talk about teams in the West, it's usually the Canucks/Red Wings/Flames/Oilers/Ducks/Kings.

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Subban signed

$2.875mil AAV - 2years

Great deal for Montreal.

Last edited by Nzap: 01-28-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:28 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Anyone watch TSN the quiz, where McKenzie and Ward said he would be traded, yeah they were wrong (Panger was right).

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Zingbo2133

vCash: 500
Letehnon(sp) with a sick save. Rebound bounced over his head and he reaches behind and gloves it just before going in.

Zingbo2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:49 PM
Elever
Hth

Although I feel bad for their fans, I hope the Phx Coyotes end up in some market Shane Doan hates which has cold weather and lots of hockey media attention.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Although I feel bad for their fans, I hope the Phx Coyotes end up in some market Shane Doan hates which has cold weather and lots of hockey media attention.
*cough* i know a place *cough*

darn cold

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:41 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
*cough* i know a place *cough*

darn cold
Naw, we'll relocate the coyotes to Denver and the AVs to Quebec. We don't want this lot of losers anymore...thanks for the 2 cups though Frenchy.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Naw, we'll relocate the coyotes to Denver and the AVs to Quebec. We don't want this lot of losers anymore...thanks for the 2 cups though Frenchy.
you're welcome ... i think

Old
01-31-2013, 08:33 PM
Rhaego

Vanek with the Hatty , 5 point night

Impressive I haven't seen good hockey in weeks

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:50 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

The Austria Rocket!

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Brouwer slamming Semin:

"“It was tough to lose his scoring ability when he wanted to play. But all in all, I think we’ve been doing well without him.”

“Some nights you didn’t even know if he was gonna come to the rink. It’s tough to play alongside guys like those because you don’t know what you’re gonna get out of ‘em.”

I have no doubt Semin has a spotty work ethic. Too many people have said it as this stage, so you have to assume there is some truth to it, but when the guy is gone and your team sucks, just shut up. Carolina seems to be doing just fine with Semin on the team.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:14 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Brouwer slamming Semin:

"“It was tough to lose his scoring ability when he wanted to play. But all in all, I think we’ve been doing well without him.”

“Some nights you didn’t even know if he was gonna come to the rink. It’s tough to play alongside guys like those because you don’t know what you’re gonna get out of ‘em.”

I have no doubt Semin has a spotty work ethic. Too many people have said it as this stage, so you have to assume there is some truth to it, but when the guy is gone and your team sucks, just shut up. Carolina seems to be doing just fine with Semin on the team.
Semin's response "How's last place treating you, Brouwer?"

Last edited by henchman24: 02-25-2013 at 02:43 PM.
henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:41 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Brouwer slamming Semin:

"“It was tough to lose his scoring ability when he wanted to play. But all in all, I think we’ve been doing well without him.
How can he say that with where they are in the standings?

GamingGiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

''We're doing well without him''? It sure as hell looks like you aren't Troy. What a tool.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I would've taken Semin on this team in a heartbeat (there's just no way to make that sound right). Shame on GMGM for not at least trying to parlay the guy into something worthwhile via trade when he could.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Brouwer slamming Semin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I would've taken Semin on this team in a heartbeat (there's just no way to make that sound right). Shame on GMGM for not at least trying to parlay the guy into something worthwhile via trade when he could.
I think it's well known arround the NHL that Semin is taking some nights off . He never had a skill problem ,the problem is his work ethic . That said , i'm sure that if you put him in a room full of leaders and character guys he would probably think twice before taking a night off .. or they will remind him if he does take a "break".

Semin with the Avs , or someone like him ? Well the FO told us for many years that they want character guys with great work ethic . Personnaly i wouldnt say no to pure Skills once in a while , even if that means that this player will take a few nights off .

Old
02-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Not every player needs to be Landeskog out there. I'm sick of people attacking Semin - he probably has some work ethic issues but still performs, and makes the teams he's on better. History is full of this type of high skill, enigmatic player with questionable work ethic and many have been part of successful franchises over the years.

Obviously it must rub some of his teammates the wrong way but Brouwer should really just keep quiet when his squad could really use Semin's skill right now and there's literally zero benefit or point to publically attacking his former teammate.

Nihiliste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Semin is one of, if the most physically talented forward in the NHL.

Does he take nights off? Yes. Could he score a lot more goals than he does? Yes. Is he still a great player, and do I want to sign him? Yes.

Helton4Hall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
The scariest part about Semin is that he still hasn't gotten his shooting going yet in Carolina. When that happens, he will go back to being a PPG+ player.

I'm also surprised how many of you are now on his bandwagon, considering that last year around this time there were a bunch of people telling me they thought signing Semin was a terrible idea.

He still has 40 goal skill, it just depends on whether or not he wants to use it.

Helton4Hall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Foppa2118

Wait, we're officially calling Semin a success story 17 games into his first season?

That's all it takes to prove 6 years of consistency and work ethic complaints, and criticism from teammates wrong?

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Wait, we're officially calling Semin a success story 17 games into his first season?

That's all it takes to prove 6 years of consistency and work ethic complaints, and criticism from teammates wrong?
No, just saying he's worth the gamble, and that Brouwer doesn't really have a leg to stand on.

We know what he is and what he isn't. Alexei Kovalev in his prime was a terribly enigmatic player...I'd still take him on my team though.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I don't think Semin is worth $7M/year (of course if you're going to pay Jones $4M/year, what's another $3M/year?) and even Rutherford said there are question marks:

“We would look at Semin on a short-term basis. We wouldn't want to get locked in to anything, because we've all heard the stories about him. We do like his skill level. It could be that we could bring him in for a year, get to know him and go from there in terms of considering something longer term.”

His skill level is undeniable. He's got as pure a shot as you'll find and he's pretty good defensively because he has high hockey IQ, which compensates for his laziness to some extent.

I think that once a guy is gone and your team sucks, Brouwer should have other things on his mind than Alexander Semin.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
I don't think Semin is worth $7M/year (of course if you're going to pay Jones $4M/year, what's another $3M/year?) and even Rutherford said there are question marks:

“We would look at Semin on a short-term basis. We wouldn't want to get locked in to anything, because we've all heard the stories about him. We do like his skill level. It could be that we could bring him in for a year, get to know him and go from there in terms of considering something longer term.”

His skill level is undeniable. He's got as pure a shot as you'll find and he's pretty good defensively because he has high hockey IQ, which compensates for his laziness to some extent.

I think that once a guy is gone and your team sucks, Brouwer should have other things on his mind than Alexander Semin.
Yea, I'm not relly a Semin fan, but it's pretty stupid of Brouwer to get sucked into making comments about him still. Especially when his team is a point away from last place.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post

Not really, he had /have work ethic problems . But Semin had a chance for a fresh start in Carolina , playing very well right now , on a one year deal ... Awww those enigmatic one year deals , they always seems to transform a player .

Old
02-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Is depressing watch the Avs play after watching the Blackhawks...

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote