HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Realignment approved by BOG - Jets move to Western Conference, "Division B"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2013, 07:01 PM
  #126
Trigger15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Sportsnet is often a basic channel in those markets, meaning they don't have to pay for an extra channel grouping to get it.

As far as CBC and our Saturday schedule, all games bar the one in Toronto are 2pm or earlier starts. Some aren't even on the national network. Some people feel that we're not getting the national exposure of Saturday night games.
I'm in Calgary and am a Telus Optik TV subscriber and Sportsnet is not part of the basic channel package. You have to pay extra for the sports package. I just looked into Shaw and it's not part of their basic cable package either, you have to get their mid-level Channel package that they call "Classic Cable". I'll never get the sense of entitlement that TSN Jets should be "free". Nothing is free.

Trigger15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:40 PM
  #127
Mighty Joe Moon
Registered User
 
Mighty Joe Moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lockport
Country: Canada
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubparSoup View Post
How did CBC screw us this year? If this is the new alignment we'll be in the least televised division in sports. I still can't believe we have to pay to watch the Jets, it's disgusting and I refuse to do it.
How? The Jets only play every other Saturday, and only once is it an evening game. Care to guess against whom? Don't bother. It's Toronto. And last year when they were on HNIC we got stuck with the 'D' team with Kevin 'The Half-Wall' Weekes on color. None of the night time intermission features are there during the day broadcast either. It's like we're an afterthought. TSN Jets actually gives a crap, and puts together a decent program. Seriously, up yours, CBC.

Mighty Joe Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:11 PM
  #128
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,107
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Moon View Post
How? The Jets only play every other Saturday, and only once is it an evening game. Care to guess against whom? Don't bother. It's Toronto. And last year when they were on HNIC we got stuck with the 'D' team with Kevin 'The Half-Wall' Weekes on color. None of the night time intermission features are there during the day broadcast either. It's like we're an afterthought. TSN Jets actually gives a crap, and puts together a decent program. Seriously, up yours, CBC.
It's business bro.
The Jets weren't screwed because they're not entitled to anything.
If you're CBC why would you bump a massive market for a small market?
I honestly don't get how so many people don't see this...

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:17 PM
  #129
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,761
vCash: 50
I shouldn't really bother posting this again but we are a city/ market of less than 800,000 people. This team will have to mine for dollars everywhere they can. This means fans have to pay if they want the team to stay.

I feel happy to do my duty as a Jets fan by paying for TSN Jets, buying merch, and going to the occasional game. That is what I can afford, and I am in no way feeling cheated.

I got an NHL franchise in my city again. That is worth a lot to me, and to many others. That is what TN is banking on.

__________________
The farts have just started and thankfully the boyfriend has already headed home. -LadyJet
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:18 PM
  #130
SCP Guy
Registered User
 
SCP Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Peg
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,904
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger15 View Post
I'm in Calgary and am a Telus Optik TV subscriber and Sportsnet is not part of the basic channel package. You have to pay extra for the sports package. I just looked into Shaw and it's not part of their basic cable package either, you have to get their mid-level Channel package that they call "Classic Cable". I'll never get the sense of entitlement that TSN Jets should be "free". Nothing is free.
I agree with you 100% If bell could not get more subscribers and sell the rights to mts and shaw they would not have paid the Jets so much money for the rights.....jets tv is not and should not be free....the Jets got a big chunk of cash from bell for tsn jets!!!!!! It's part of the reason we are now a viable market so become a bell customer or pay for jets tv and be happy about it!


Last edited by SCP Guy: 02-25-2013 at 10:00 PM.
SCP Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:38 PM
  #131
bigplay41
BIG MEECH
 
bigplay41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,291
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
really were *****ing about 10 dollars a month? heres an idea buy 1 less cup of coffee a week haha

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:19 PM
  #132
ps241
Drunken rant!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,409
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I shouldn't really bother posting this again but we are a city/ market of less than 800,000 people. This team will have to mine for dollars everywhere they can. This means fans have to pay if they want the team to stay.

I feel happy to do my duty as a Jets fan by paying for TSN Jets, buying merch, and going to the occasional game. That is what I can afford, and I am in no way feeling cheated.

I got an NHL franchise in my city again. That is worth a lot to me, and to many others. That is what TN is banking on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
really were *****ing about 10 dollars a month? heres an idea buy 1 less cup of coffee a week haha
Can I get an amen brothers.

Sorry if you Legitimatley can't afford the $10 a month but to me that does not seem onerous compared to something like a UFC pay per view......less than a pack of smokes....one pint in allot of bars. It is 1 hour of work at minimum wage.

If people choose not to spend on the Jets channel, games, merch etc that is their choice but at the end of the day the bills have to get paid.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:03 AM
  #133
SubparSoup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Is it really? Didn't know that. I know that if I want Sportsnet I need to pay for it as part of a package. Didn't know other people got it for free.
Sports net is an actual channel when the games not on. Jets tv is 99% 1290 radio. Cabletv is barely worth what I pay now let alone add ten bucks for a few games a month. I'd maybe pay for something online with multiple teams but jets tv is hilariously bad

SubparSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:43 AM
  #134
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,761
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubparSoup View Post
Sports net is an actual channel when the games not on. Jets tv is 99% 1290 radio. Cabletv is barely worth what I pay now let alone add ten bucks for a few games a month. I'd maybe pay for something online with multiple teams but jets tv is hilariously bad
The way I see it, no one is forcing you to buy the product. If you don't think it's worth 10 bucks, then vote with your wallet.

I for one don't mind the production value and even if I did, I watch for the game, all the rest is just details.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:54 AM
  #135
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,033
vCash: 495
I hope they call the new divisions:
EC1: The Eastern Eastern Conference
EC2: The Western Eastern Conferecne
WC1: The Eastern Western Conference
WC2: The Western Western Conference

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:56 AM
  #136
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,249
vCash: 50
10$ a month for like 10 games is like 20-30 hours of entertainment. For 10$...thats cheap considering how much it costs to do...well pretty much anything

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:14 AM
  #137
tntkid
Registered User
 
tntkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
Don't let MTS or Shaw hear that $10 a month for Jets tv is too cheap.

Those greedy sobs will triple the price.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:10 AM
  #138
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,874
vCash: 50
The price for TSN jets is pretty reasonable unless you aren't a casual hockey fan and also sub to CI or GCL. Adding another $10/month on top of that price is pretty high.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:26 AM
  #139
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,997
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubparSoup View Post
Sports net is an actual channel when the games not on. Jets tv is 99% 1290 radio. Cabletv is barely worth what I pay now let alone add ten bucks for a few games a month. I'd maybe pay for something online with multiple teams but jets tv is hilariously bad
Different strokes then. I find the $10 I spend a month on Jets TV to be the best dollar to entertainment value purchase I make. I watch every single game that's on TSN Jets and with the amount of games on a month it can work out to less than a dollar a game.

Great value to me, but to each their own.

Agree on your comment about Sportsnet offering other programs. That's nice as well.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:51 AM
  #140
tbcwpg
Registered User
 
tbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger15 View Post
I'm in Calgary and am a Telus Optik TV subscriber and Sportsnet is not part of the basic channel package. You have to pay extra for the sports package. I just looked into Shaw and it's not part of their basic cable package either, you have to get their mid-level Channel package that they call "Classic Cable". I'll never get the sense of entitlement that TSN Jets should be "free". Nothing is free.
That's true under old packaging, but they aren't really offering basic and classic anymore, it's personal tv and then theme add ons, and Sportsnet is in that personal tv basic package

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:04 AM
  #141
SubparSoup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
The way I see it, no one is forcing you to buy the product. If you don't think it's worth 10 bucks, then vote with your wallet.

I for one don't mind the production value and even if I did, I watch for the game, all the rest is just details.
I am voting with my wallet which was my entire point. Its not even production valueas much as it's the fact that we are the only Canadians who pay to watch their hockey team and its not because the Jets need our money it's because they're able to exploit our passion/desire for hockey. TV is a dying medium, in 2012 you're going to have to offer me more than "pay or you can't watch" to convince me to spend my money, especially at 10$ a month for half a season. That's porn channel expensive. (when honestly it's more, you can't get JUST the Jets channel, you need basic cable, digital receiver etc.)

SubparSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:21 AM
  #142
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Howard Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,387
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Different strokes then. I find the $10 I spend a month on Jets TV to be the best dollar to entertainment value purchase I make. I watch every single game that's on TSN Jets and with the amount of games on a month it can work out to less than a dollar a game.

Great value to me, but to each their own.

Agree on your comment about Sportsnet offering other programs. That's nice as well.
I have Bell so it's free with my package, but I would have exactly zero issues with paying $10/month for it. As you said Huffer, it's the best value for my entertainment dollar by far. I get to watch every single Jets game in HD (except for stupid CBC games) for the price of a Venti Latte?????? I'm in.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:22 AM
  #143
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Howard Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,387
vCash: 50
BTW, I usually drink McDonalds coffee, but the Starbucks was for effect

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:17 AM
  #144
bigplay41
BIG MEECH
 
bigplay41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,291
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
McKenzie just tweeted the playoff format would be the top 3 teams in each conference for west and then 2 wild card spots for the remaining 8 teams. Top 3 teams in each conference for the East with 2 wild card spots for the remaining 10.

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
  #145
New Jets
Jets fan since '79
 
New Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The River City
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
So are the division/conference names changing as well?

As a hockey traditionalist would love to see the league go back to Norris, Smythe, Adams Divs, etc and Wales and Campbell Conferences.

Jets 1.0 played one season in the Norris Division. 1981-82.

New Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:46 AM
  #146
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,676
vCash: 50
Some tinkering going on.

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
According to NHL memo sent to 30 teams, no longer is the idea to go to 4 conferences, but rather 2 conferences with two divisions each
Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
The Eastern Conference would have the Atlantic and Central divisions, the Western Conference would have the Mid-West and Pacific divisions
Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Top 3 teams in each division make the playoffs. The remaining 4 spots go to wild-card teams, best two records left in each conference...
Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
So you could have 5 teams make playoffs from one division and only 3 from one division...
Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
This proposed realignment addresses two primary concerns: better travel for most teams/every team playing home and away against every team.
Home and away games vs. every team, this is great.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43225&dateline=140320  8020
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:47 AM
  #147
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,107
vCash: 769
Nvm!

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:59 AM
  #148
JetsWillFly4Ever
Registered User
 
JetsWillFly4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB.
Country: Canada
Posts: 324
vCash: 500
Am i the only one that thinks it is stupid that one conference will have 16 teams fighting for 8 spots and one will have 14 fighting for 8?

JetsWillFly4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:06 PM
  #149
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,676
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsWillFly4Ever View Post
Am i the only one that thinks it is stupid that one conference will have 16 teams fighting for 8 spots and one will have 14 fighting for 8?
Nope. I think it's pretty dumb. You have a 30 team league, go 15 and 15. Unless they're planning for relocations, but still... it's kind of stupid to skew the numbers like this.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:07 PM
  #150
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,107
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsWillFly4Ever View Post
Am i the only one that thinks it is stupid that one conference will have 16 teams fighting for 8 spots and one will have 14 fighting for 8?
No you're not.
But it appears that the people in charge feel the benefits out weigh that negative.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.