HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinion on Olczyk

Old
02-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Blue Liner

vCash: 500
I'm fine with Eddie. Him and Pat's rambling and joking at times can get to be a bit too much as a tandem but I like his insight and have gotten used to his quirks.

As for him as a person, the few times I've chatted with him were hockey-related as I was there watching the games where his son happened to be playing and Eddie's an assistant coach for. He was cool but it was more business so I think it was different than if I was just chatting with him randomly at the rink or whatever. Like any athlete/well-known person, I've heard mixed reviews about him personally. He definitely gives off the vibe of alpha/etc people are speaking of, but per the topic, I like him as a color guy.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Hawkaholic

Don't mind either Foley or Eddie O, I know I'm watching a Hawks game when I hear their voices, and I don't have to worry about the ****** opposition colour guys talking.

Nothing worse than listening to the Coyotes, Preds, Wings, or Canucks announcers.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:27 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Agreed, want someone new pronto, brings down Foley too.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:07 PM
STC

I hate No-Check with a passion! He's the worst announcer in all of sports imo. He's completely ruined Foley who used to be good and now has basically become the Ed McMahon in the booth. The worst thing Eddie does is when he goes into one of his stand up comic routines and then him and Foley have a 20 minute giggle fest while the game is going on. He's not even remotely funny!

Notice how he doesn't pull that comedy **** when he's on the national broadcast?

Also, he contantly miscalls the play and blatantly misses obvious events on the ice.

His tips on replays are all garnered towards the hockey novices, they serve no value to people that actually know the game.

I hate him so much he's almost at a Bill Wirtz level for me and that's saying something.

STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:07 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

He's significantly better than 75% of the dull monotone homer announcers around the league. I agree that the radio tandem is a bit more exciting but I'm thankful for Foley/Olczyk when I listen to other team's feeds.

And, as for homerism, even Foley will keep his mouth shut a bit if we get away with something. Other team's announcers will straight up look at replay of an awful call and say some b.s. I was watching the Anaheim game last night and in the third one of the Ducks had their stick chopped a bit and a second later the guy dropped his stick on purpose. The homer announcer shows the replay and says "yeah, that was a slash."

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Sarava

I would agree with some that Olczyk brings Pat Foley's game down quite a bit. That's not to say a boring announcer like Steve Konroyd is the answer either. Dale Tallon was perfect with Foley when those 2 were together...but that obviously isn't going to happen again.

But in the end - I can live with Foley and Olczyk. It isn't as good as it once was...but that doesn't mean it's horrible or anything.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
His tips on replays are all garnered towards the hockey novices, they serve no value to people that actually know the game.
Who do you think pays 90% of the freight? That's why it's geared that way. You're not implying that EddieO doesn't know his stuff are you?

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:39 PM
AbeLincolnsGhost

Send a message via AIM to AbeLincolnsGhost
I really like Eddie. When they do the tree turdy tree stuff I just imagine they've been drinking since pre-game and are getting a little silly.

AbeLincolnsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Eddie is fine but Foley isn't great, he seems to be losing a bit every year. Best team is when it's national with Eddie, Emrick and McGuire, think they complement each other very well.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Chelios

Love em both. You can pick apart any broadcasting duo, but having listened to many others on Gamecentre, these guys are two of the best.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Beemer335

Now that I think about it, I really don't mind him as much on national tv. I'm also well aware of Foley being a homer. But I love it. I have no complaints watching a game when the guy calling it wants the same team to win as me. And the other thing...I have never seen a reporter being so unhappy to be covering Blackhawk games like Tracey Myers. What's with that?

Beemer335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:32 PM
jaysoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Love em both. You can pick apart any broadcasting duo, but having listened to many others on Gamecentre, these guys are two of the best.
+1

Watching games on Gamecenter really makes you appreciate Eddie. He and Foley work well together. I can't watch an NBC game unless there's a little Ed in it.

jaysoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Bongo

Ed is one of the better jock/announcers in the game. I liked Dan Kelly better than Foley but Pat has grown on me. Foley is one of those rare commodities in the entertainment world. He's so bad he's good.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:17 AM
livingfree85

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
The main thing I hate is how he hounds young hockey players to do this and that. I would rather he comment on the play and quit beating that dead horse. Otherwise I like him....he is the best we have had since Tallon I think.
I don't understand the problem with pointing out what someone does wrong/right and encouraging athletes to take note. Honestly, I think it's interesting when he does it. Do I sometimes repeat him in a jesting/mocking manner when my friends and I are watching the game? Sure, but I really do think it's an interesting approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
I'm kinda stunned at the hate for tree-turdy-tree. Crack a smile everytime, keep on keepin' on Foley and Eddie O.
Agreed. I'm sure all of us have stupid little jokes that we repeat with our friends, and that many people who hear us would be like, "Really?? Again?" Same deal here, in my opinion.

I like the Eddie and Pat duo. I've watched a lot of clips from local announcers in other areas and some of the guys would force me to watch the game on mute. I also like how Pat and Eddie will call the Hawks out on stuff, when other local announcers are like the biased fanboys who can't admit when their team does something wrong.

I have noticed how much different they both can be when the other is not around, but that's just what happens when you have two people that click in that certain way. And, really, it's one thing I love when the Hawks are playing. Yes, they're cheeseballs, but I think it's good fun.

livingfree85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Cullksinikers

Last night, Pat said "Khabibulin with a wrister" after a Hawk shot the puck at Khabby.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:38 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Foley is becoming Bob Cole

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote