HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Sox/MLB 2013 Thread Part XXII-Opening Day!

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

vCash: 500
i said it on the baseball board and i think it rings true.

i don't think the al east winner wins 90 games.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe
Webster fans Bautista, Encarnacion, Arencibia and Lawrie in a row. Big arm. Hit 99, sat 94-97.

Where does he start the year?
Most likely AA

Old
02-25-2013, 04:10 PM
CDJ*

No, Webster is definitely starting in Pawtucket.

Can't teach his stuff though. It won't be long before he makes an impact on our team

Old
02-25-2013, 06:06 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyorr04 View Post
I know this question is probably not welcome here, but what do Red Sox fans think of the Blue Jays chances this year?
I think the are the best team in baseball- they have power they have some young underachieving position players who need to take the next step in Lawrie and Rasmus. Batista has to be what he has been- and Melky who knows what he can do and how he will do it.

But the starting pitching on paper is borderline epic. It probably wont be but how can you not like and root for RA Dickey. My favorite pitcher in baseball....also, Brandon Morrow has sick stuff- he stays healthy and the stars align he has 20 game stuff. I'd take 15 and sign off on it right now, but I love this kid. Johnson has Morrow elite arm but has been injured to much, however, if he can give you 30 healthy starts he's a stud. Buherle is an innings guy and probably can win a dozen games just on smarts and fielding his position- and you can always count on a quick game...we joke at Sox games when we got him to drink fast and get the last beers an inning early.

Ricky Romero was horse bleep last year but has a very good arm and could rebound.

I could go on and on, but to me they can we 90 plus...they are not deep and not sure about the leadership on that team, lot of guys with paper talent, injury histories....the bullpen could be a problem also, not sold on that but still some good arms out there.

What they could use is someone like Pedroia to just pull it all in...never happen but I look around the daimond and just a bit unsure who takes the bull by the horn when things inevitably go off killter- the mananger also I wonder about, we are not talking Claude calm here

Old
02-25-2013, 07:12 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

i like what the jays did but the lack of depth is an issue for me.

i don't think melky sustains a .379 babip and when that babip drops, the "omg steroids" talk is going to start. reyes played the most games (160) that he had in 5 years. bautista is coming off a wrist injury, ask ortiz and his .120 slg drop from 2007 to 08 what a wrist injury does for power.

my issue is the depth. i think they're a great team on paper and i like the moves they made. i think they finish in second. tampa has more depth, which shows itself over 162 games. tampa traded shields and davis, two good to very good pitchers and added myers and parts. the funny thing is, they're still at least four deep in the rotation and are returning a young, cheap and extremely good bullpen. rodney won't repeat a record season last year but they can trot out farnsworth/gomes/mcgee/peralta and a host of other arms to backend the pen. having those arms and the rotation depth is what wins games.

that said, i have the rays winning the division with no more than 89 wins. while baltimore is no longer a punching bag and i certainly don't think they're repeating 2012, they're certainly not a pushover anymore. i think the red sox are better than people are giving them credit for, same as the yanks.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:37 AM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe
Webster fans Bautista, Encarnacion, Arencibia and Lawrie in a row. Big arm. Hit 99, sat 94-97.

Where does he start the year?
Pawtucket. I didn't realize he had that kind of power.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:41 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
i like what the jays did but the lack of depth is an issue for me.

i don't think melky sustains a .379 babip and when that babip drops, the "omg steroids" talk is going to start. reyes played the most games (160) that he had in 5 years. bautista is coming off a wrist injury, ask ortiz and his .120 slg drop from 2007 to 08 what a wrist injury does for power.

my issue is the depth. i think they're a great team on paper and i like the moves they made. i think they finish in second. tampa has more depth, which shows itself over 162 games. tampa traded shields and davis, two good to very good pitchers and added myers and parts. the funny thing is, they're still at least four deep in the rotation and are returning a young, cheap and extremely good bullpen. rodney won't repeat a record season last year but they can trot out farnsworth/gomes/mcgee/peralta and a host of other arms to backend the pen. having those arms and the rotation depth is what wins games.

that said, i have the rays winning the division with no more than 89 wins. while baltimore is no longer a punching bag and i certainly don't think they're repeating 2012, they're certainly not a pushover anymore. i think the red sox are better than people are giving them credit for, same as the yanks.
Taking a critical line, here's a possible scenario for Toronto:

Dickey had a career, almost generational season for a knuckler. Considering Wake is probably the best knuckler of all time (or right there), is it far-fetched Dickey is essentially Wake this year? When you consider he's moving to the AL East as well, a high 3 - low 4 ERA doesn't seem at all far-fetched to me. Add in that Wake never thrived in the Rogers Centre, so maybe it's not the best park for the knuckler. That would make him a #3 this year.

Josh Johnson, another Miami export. Far-fetched at all that he delivers either a Beckett 1st Sox season or any Burnett season? That makes him a #3, maybe. I see this as not only possible but likely, and maybe a best-case.

Buehrle. Moving to the AL East a 1.5 WHIP and low-mid 4 ERA seems very possible to me.

Romero was a trainwreck last season right?

I don't know...I see a decent/not great lineup with a rotation that could be loaded with #3 starters, not unlike what we might see at Fenway this year. I could easily see Toronto as an 78-84 win team.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:49 AM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post

Dickey had a career, almost generational season for a knuckler. Considering Wake is probably the best knuckler of all time (or right there), is it far-fetched Dickey is essentially Wake this year? When you consider he's moving to the AL East as well, a high 3 - low 4 ERA doesn't seem at all far-fetched to me. Add in that Wake never thrived in the Rogers Centre, so maybe it's not the best park for the knuckler. That would make him a #3 this year.

Josh Johnson, another Miami export. Far-fetched at all that he delivers either a Beckett 1st Sox season or any Burnett season? That makes him a #3, maybe. I see this as not only possible but likely, and maybe a best-case.

Buehrle. Moving to the AL East a 1.5 WHIP and low-mid 4 ERA seems very possible to me.

I don't know...I see a decent/not great lineup with a rotation that could be loaded with #3 starters, not unlike what we might see at Fenway this year. I could easily see Toronto as an 78-84 win team.
A lot of talent and a lot of questions.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:00 PM
CDJ*

I'm skeptical of the Webster 99 reading. He has always had an electric arm, but never anything THAT electric. If he holds that as his ceiling velocity, than that means he put in a ton of work this summer, since he was generally topping at 95 last year.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:04 PM
CDJ*

Every team in the AL East has the potential to finish in first or last (maybe not Toronto, can't see them in last...can see them in 3rd or 4th) this year. It's gonna be a lot of fun.

Tampa has a deep pitching staff, but they have some question marks in their lineup.

Baltimore is unlikely to repeat the luck they had. Simple as that. Their pitching isn't enough to win consistently in the AL East. Chen and Hammel will be figured out, and when that happens they will resort to having Bundy and a bunch of crap for a rotation

The Yankees have question marks literally at every position but 2B.

Toronto is good, but they let's see how fluid they are after making all those moves. Players often don't seamlessly adjust to the AL EAST, as we've seen countless times.

And obviously we have a ton of question marks, but the potential for a strong year is there.

If I had to guess how the season would pan out:

1) Tampa Bay
2) Toronto
3) Boston
4) NYY
5) Baltimore

Old
02-26-2013, 01:41 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post

not sure if the Blue Jays still have McGowen, Cecil, and Haap- they did; also Kyle Drabek is a pretty high end prospect. Even if they have only 2 of these guys, thats some serious depth,,,

where they have a potential big problem is the pen....Santos? umm....would not be that confident know matter how electric his arm is. Love Janssen- would look good on Bruins third line until Knight's tear heals up

Old
02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

dustin mcgowan? he missed three years, got a pity contract for last year and wasn't good. most of the stories being written about him are how he's going to keep going, no matter what.

cecil is a loogy and happ is a tweener starter/long relief pitcher. drabek won't be back until maybe after the all-star break if all things go well and has a history of arm issues.

that's not depth.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:06 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
I'm skeptical of the Webster 99 reading. He has always had an electric arm, but never anything THAT electric. If he holds that as his ceiling velocity, than that means he put in a ton of work this summer, since he was generally topping at 95 last year.
After reading a bunch of other reports, it sounds like he actually topped out at 98. Almost the same, but a tad closer to where people expected him to max out.

Although I don't have super high expectations for the Red Sox this year in particular, this is the most excited I've been to watch spring training games in a very long time, if not ever. The first chance to watch so many of the young guys that could be big pieces of the franchise for a long time.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
“I could play for the worst team if they paid the most,” Greinke said in an interview with CBSSports.com. “If the last-place team offers $200 million and the first-place team offers $10, I’m going to go for the $200 million no matter what team it was.”

I would do the same thing.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:17 PM
BostonFrank89

Looks like WMB reinjured his hand

Old
02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

*wacky sax*

Old
02-27-2013, 06:58 PM
CDJ*

fackin fack fack not again

Old
02-27-2013, 07:23 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

i'd love to see an mlb team, like the astros or some team that has nothing to lose, do this thing where they stockpile arms and then just have players run out for an inning or two.

that's one thing i like about spring training.

and gomes swings, and crushes one towards south america.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:48 PM
MioneRask134

Hope WMB's injury isn't severe. That would suck.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Seeing a Drew go down looking on a called third strike is like bumping into a long lost friend...

Old
02-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonFrank89 View Post
Looks like WMB reinjured his hand
According to McAdams (@Sean_McAdam) it was the scar tissue that was breaking apart and not anything structural.

Quote:
Middlebrooks thinks scar tissue breaking up. "That's r best bet.Nothing's broken, nothing's torn. Was just kind of a scary, awkward swing.''
While extremely painful at first, it's a good thing.

I am Boston Strong

Old
02-28-2013, 12:09 AM
CDJ*

Thank the lord

Old
02-28-2013, 12:50 AM
MioneRask134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
According to McAdams (@Sean_McAdam) it was the scar tissue that was breaking apart and not anything structural.

While extremely painful at first, it's a good thing.

Sounds disgusting. But at least he's seemingly okay!

Old
02-28-2013, 06:46 AM
BubbaBoot

This generation's Sox remind me more and more of the early 60's Sox....I am not hopeful.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Sounds disgusting. But at least he's seemingly okay!
It sounds awful and the pain is unreal at first and then it is like a weight has been lifted off the the area. My ankle did it after my last surgery and I haven't been in pain since.

Closed Thread