HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Can Bonk center our 2nd line?

Old
07-17-2006, 11:30 AM
jcrow

vCash: 500
Can Bonk center our 2nd line?

I would like to see what Bonk could do (in a contract year) between two talented players (Samsanov and Kovalev). My reasoning being that I think he brings a lot more defensive awareness to the second line (something that would be very much lacking if Ribiero starts there). As well, he would not be counted on to be the "go to" guy of the line. He would be a complimentary player (something he has shown great success at in the past). At the same time, putting Ribiero with guys like Begin/Murray/Johnson would be beneficial for him (good energy, work ethic, etc.). He could really benefit from playing in their mold while at the same time bringing an offensive threat to the fourth line.

What does everyone think of the following lines.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Samsanov - Bonk - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Plekanec - Johnson
Begin - Ribiero - Murray

Some Alternative:
1) Kostitsyn could also come in, take first line RW from Ryder. Ryder would then move to the third line RW and Johnson to the fourth line RW (Murray out).

Higgins - Koivu - Kostitsyn
Perezhogin - Plekanec - Ryder
Begin - Ribiero - Johnson

2) Kostitsyn could come in and take third line RW from Johnson. Johnson would move to the fourth line RW (Murray out again).

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Perezhogin - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Begin - Ribiero - Johnson

Bottom line - I think the second line (and the overall team balance) is better off with Bonk there than it is with Ribiero. And while I do like Plekanec and his upside (he could fill a line 2 center role IMO) I feel he had good chemistry with Perezhogin when they played together and that line will only get better with Johnson replacing Zednik.

Thoughts?

jcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 11:33 AM
ti-vite

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=271173

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Russeltown

In the offensive department, especially playmaking and passing : Ribeiro > Bonk.

Let's stick with Ribeiro.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Phousse

Awesome, stick Ribeiro on the 4th line.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Fattal

Forget about that, Bonk sucks in the ''New'' NHL. I hope Kyle Chipchura will steal his job at the training camp and we can trade Bonk for a 5 round pick.

Fattal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 12:50 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn View Post
In the offensive department, especially playmaking and passing : Ribeiro > Bonk.

Bonk has averaged 15 goals and 26 assists for every 75 games played and that includes last year when he was used primarily in defensive situations.

Ribeiro has averaged 14 goals and 27 assists for every 75 games played. Almost none of that time has been spent in shut down roles.

Where does the superiority come in??

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 12:54 PM
HabsUnited

I don't think Bonk can. Can Johnson center the 2nd line? I have a feeling that Ribs will get a tryout and if it doesn't work out, Johnson may get a shot.

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 12:56 PM
jcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Awesome, stick Ribeiro on the 4th line.

Don't you think it's possible that under Carbo/Muller and playing with energy guys like Begin/Murray/Johnson, Ribiero could become a more rounded player and perhaps be in a better position to be a legit #2 center in the NHL somewhere down the road?

I personally think that Rebiero has a lot of talent - but he also has a lot of areas to be worked on - I don't see how this could be a bad move. Just my opinion.

jcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 12:56 PM
CHareth

Awesome. It's been a long time since we've had a thoughtful discussion on the second line C issue.

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 01:05 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by briste View Post
Bonk has averaged 15 goals and 26 assists for every 75 games played and that includes last year when he was used primarily in defensive situations.

Ribeiro has averaged 14 goals and 27 assists for every 75 games played. Almost none of that time has been spent in shut down roles.

Those Bonk points are so far away..

I don't need any stats to tell me Mike Ribeiro is a better hockey player than Radek Bonk.

Did you watched the games last year? It was fairly obvious.

He had 6 goals in 61 games. SIX freakin' goal.

Ribeiro outscored him for the past 2 seasons and he'll outscore him again this year.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 01:07 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I think it's pretty evident that Bonk can center just about any line, but it is dependent on how well he plays in an offensive role. I don't see why he wouldn't succeed surrounded by two shooting wingers. I would still like to see Bonk in shutdown situations with defensive wingers, which I think would put his icetime higher than he could reasonable handle. Ribeiro is not all that good in his own end, so he would be the odd duck on the 4th line, not to mention having little support in terms of offensive talent.

I'd like to see what Bonk can do, but I think the team is more stable with Bonk centering a shutdown line.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Those Bonk points are so far away..

I don't need any stats to tell me Mike Ribeiro is a better hockey player than Radek Bonk.

Did you watched the games last year? It was fairly obvious.

He had 6 goals in 61 games. SIX freakin' goal.

Ribeiro outscored him for the past 2 seasons and he'll outscore him again this year.
Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom

Zednik - Ribeiro - Kovalev

HUMMMMMM

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 01:30 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_Rafter View Post
Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom

HUMMMMMM
Yeah but Bonk could have stole the spot easily. It was his to take.
But he played like crap so he got crappy linemate.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I think Bonk his an average player just making way too much money.Plekanec in my opinion would be the best player for the Samsonov,Kovalev line simply because of the fact that he actually backchecks!! Ribeiro is just too slow and Bonk would not be able to set them up in the offensive zone.Gainey should have bought out Bonk when he had the chance unless he knows a team that wants him

Habs 4 Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 03:03 PM
BadHabit

I'd have absolutely no problem letting Bonk have a shot at centering the 2nd line. I don't care what anyone says here, I saw flashes of brilliance in his play last year and I know he has the skills otherwise he wouldn't be in the NHL.

I say give him a shot for awhile and see how he does. I'm pretty sure his faceoff percentage is better than Ribs. In fact, I'm pretty sure Ivanis' percentage was better.

Thom

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
I'd have absolutely no problem letting Bonk have a shot at centering the 2nd line. I don't care what anyone says here, I saw flashes of brilliance in his play last year and I know he has the skills otherwise he wouldn't be in the NHL.

I say give him a shot for awhile and see how he does. I'm pretty sure his faceoff percentage is better than Ribs. In fact, I'm pretty sure Ivanis' percentage was better.

Thom
He had more than 1 shot on the top6 last year , and he didn't perfrom so the next player who get a look is probaly Plekanec.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 04:45 PM
frederixx

with Kovalev and Samsonov, Ribeiro should break the 70 pts+.

unless Gainey gets a great deal, don't expect anyone but Ribeiro on that line (that includes Lang which is 35y, Bonk, Johnson).

Ribeiro had an average year, but he's only 26y and 2 years ago, was the team's top scorer. he'll get another try for sure!

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 05:26 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederixx View Post
with Kovalev and Samsonov, Ribeiro should break the 70 pts+.

unless Gainey gets a great deal, don't expect anyone but Ribeiro on that line (that includes Lang which is 35y, Bonk, Johnson).

Ribeiro had an average year, but he's only 26y and 2 years ago, was the team's top scorer. he'll get another try for sure!
Although not thrilled with the prospect of Mickey Ribs... i agree

1. Ribero will get a shot first..if he fails I hope
2. Plekanec gets a shot at the center spot..if he fails
3. Bonk gets a shot at the center spot...if he fails
4. Higgins get a shot at the center spot..if he fails
5. I get a shot at that center spot...I would just stand in front of the net and let the Russian duo bounce shots off my ankles, shoulder, ***...etc. I think I'm good for 10-15 goals!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Don't you think it's possible that under Carbo/Muller and playing with energy guys like Begin/Murray/Johnson, Ribiero could become a more rounded player and perhaps be in a better position to be a legit #2 center in the NHL somewhere down the road?

I personally think that Rebiero has a lot of talent - but he also has a lot of areas to be worked on - I don't see how this could be a bad move. Just my opinion.
I dont consider Johnson an energy guy. To me, he's a smart 2 way player with nice hands. His intensity level is nowhere near as consistent as Begin or Murray but like I said, his hands are much better.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by briste View Post

Somewhere else than papers, a place which is a called an ice rink.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Toro

Bonk will not center a line other than 3rd or 4th ever again

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

He`s too slow.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:13 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn View Post

I hate Ribeiro, but I must admit....he worked really well with Kovalev last year....amagine with Samsonov on their wing....they could be deadly. They threw the puck around pretty good and had a lot of good scoring chances but Kovalev was the only goal scorer. If Ribs has Samsonov to feed too, it could make for a lot of offense.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:17 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_Rafter View Post
Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom

HUMMMMMM
Ummmm...Zednik was traded to Washington the other day!!!
THANK GOD.....cuz Zeddy was suckin all last year.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Marksman

I hoping Bonk gets his chance any time Koivu or Ribeiro gets hurt. He could surprise lot of Ribeiro fans here. The bottom line is we havent seen 100% of him with Habs. His last season was ruined in part seeing his best buddy with the team traded away and later on with injuries.

Personally I have no doubt he couldnt return to his 60+ point form, given couple good wingers and ice time in offensive situations - providing large framed body, better defensive coverage and good faceoff ability aswell.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote