HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI/CGY] Testwuide for Wahl

Old
02-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
You don't cut across the middle like that with your head down. It will eventually be lights out. I don't see it as a bad hit and players overcome concussions all the time. Can't use it as an excuse. So far Wahl just hasn't got it done.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Ashasx

I don't think discussing whether or not the hit was dirty is important.

It is a fact though that it changed Wahl's career. He has a lot of skill, but he's a very timid player who seems uninterested in the game.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Hockey is a physical sport. Hits and collisions happen. It's part of the game. What you described is a great exaggeration and biased account of what actually happened.
Of course hockey is a physical sport, but at the same time some amount of respect has to be shown out there. We are talking about a rookie who had less than 20 games of professional experience under his belt. That was a play that he could make countless times a game at the Junior level, and unfortunately someone much stronger and more experienced took advantage of his mental lapse.

I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that it was a devastating hit when you consider that it resulted in the player missing over a year of hockey.

We obviously don't see eye to eye on this and that's fine. Maybe calling it a "cheapshot" was unfair on my part, but at the end of the day it was unnecessary and resulted in a significant injury that has altered Wahl's career.

Last edited by HighLifeMan: 02-25-2013 at 08:21 PM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I don't think discussing whether or not the hit was dirty is important.

It is a fact though that it changed Wahl's career. He has a lot of skill, but he's a very timid player who seems uninterested in the game.
I agree, I don't think it was a dirty player but he took a long time to recover, it doesn't help that the Heat's coach Ward never liked the guy and basically refused to use him in a place that he would be successful in.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
As a Flames Fan I will say the Wahl hit was clean, to bad it had a drastic change in his career.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
You don't cut across the middle like that with your head down. It will eventually be lights out. I don't see it as a bad hit and players overcome concussions all the time. Can't use it as an excuse. So far Wahl just hasn't got it done.
Indeed. Players like Savard and Pronger should just man up and get over their concussions.

Honestly, dumbest thing I've read in a while. Congrats.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Ryp37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Of course hockey is a physical sport, but at the same time some amount of respect has to be shown out there. We are talking about a rookie who had less than 20 games of professional experience under his belt. That was a play that he could make countless times a game at the Junior level, and unfortunately someone much stronger and more experienced took advantage of his mental lapse.

I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that it was a devastating hit when you consider that it resulted in the player missing over a year of hockey.

We obviously don't see eye to eye on this and that's fine. Maybe calling it a "cheapshot" was unfair on my part, but at the end of the day it was unnecessary and resulted in a significant injury that has altered Wahl's career.
You'd get caught cutting into the middle during any level of hockey, and players don't look at who has the puck then quickly add their years played as a pro before they hit them

Ryp37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:47 PM
crackerjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
He was well on his way to becoming a solid pro before being cheap shotted by Volpatti and subsuquently missing an entire year with concussion issues.

Unfortunately he has not been the same player since.
Hahhah is this a joke? That hit was a Scott Stevens speciality. Player has his head down, he gets hit hard. Wahl should have been much smarter and therefore he learned a valuable lesson.

crackerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Krishna

This thread isn't about the hit Wahl took.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
There really isn't much to discuss pertaining to the trade. It's more of a curiosity to account for Wahl's fall from grace. He was hyped up quite a bit and was projected as a top 10 favorite in the early goings of his draft class, dropped to the second round, almost made the Flames out of training camp as a rookie, then a concussion pretty much derailed his career.

While the topic isn't about the hit, it is natural that the thread derailed into that direction given the question about Wahl's projections as a pro. Seeing how he's bounced around the minors, and this transaction where he's transferred over to another organization, it is quite evident that Wahl probably tops out as a minor league forward.

Could we notch this as yet another failed and disastrous Calgary Flames draft pick?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 344
Quote:
There really isn't much to discuss pertaining to the trade. It's more of a curiosity to account for Wahl's fall from grace. He was hyped up quite a bit and was projected as a top 10 favorite in the early goings of his draft class, dropped to the second round, almost made the Flames out of training camp as a rookie, then a concussion pretty much derailed his career.

While the topic isn't about the hit, it is natural that the thread derailed into that direction given the question about Wahl's projections as a pro. Seeing how he's bounced around the minors, and this transaction where he's transferred over to another organization, it is quite evident that Wahl probably tops out as a minor league forward.

Could we notch this as yet another failed and disastrous Calgary Flames draft pick?
I don't think this is a debate about Calgary's prospects. I think this is about Wahl.
He had concussion issues, and hasn't been the same player. End of story. So we got rid of a player who had injury issues, for a player to help our AHL team right now.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Wahl was assigned to Hamilton one year. Why did that happen? Was he not getting along with the Heat? Just curious.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:09 PM
mrdonkey

Quote:

He was a 48th overall pick in a weak draft class. To describe the pick as "failed and disastrous" is, quite frankly, asinine. He was a promising player at one time, whose career was unfortunately derailed by a major concussion, and that's really all there is to say about the guy.

If your goal is simply to indict the Flames and their drafting record (as this is HF and that's what we do here, whether it's warranted or not), Greg Nemisz is a much better example. That was a questionable pick right from the outset.

mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
He was a 48th overall pick in a weak draft class. To describe the pick as "failed and disastrous" is, quite frankly, asinine. He was a promising player at one time, whose career was unfortunately derailed by a major concussion, and that's really all there is to say about the guy.

If your goal is simply to indict the Flames and their drafting record (as this is HF and that's what we do here, whether it's warranted or not), Greg Nemisz is a much better example. That was a questionable pick right from the outset.
I don't know if I'd classify the 2008 draft class as weak.

Also found a detailed article on what happened with Wahl when he was reassigned to Hamilton (and later to the ECHL). He calls it a "misunderstanding."

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...905/story.html
Quote:
The Flames dispatched Wahl to Hamilton on a loan, but he ended up coming back to the Calgary organization when that didnít work out and dropped down to Utah.

ďIt was kind of a weird deal,Ē he said. ďI think there was a misunderstanding between myself and management and with my agent and that. But it is what it is at this point. Itís gone. Itís history.

ďThe whole loan thing wasnít something anyone really wanted to happen. But it did happen, and I didnít get an opportunity in Hamilton, I wouldnít say.

ďI felt like it was kind of a waste of time for me there . . .Ē

In Utah, Wahl registered 40 points in 38 games, and heís hoping to use that as a springboard back to the AHL. But the competition is fierce up the middle in Abbotsford, and Wahl will be hard-pressed to win one of just four spots.

Compounding matters, the Flames didnít invite Wahl to their summer development camp.

ďTo be honest, Iím just here being myself,Ē he said. ďI havenít spoken a whole lot with them. I havenít talked to them a lot over the summer.

ďI donít know where I stand, really. Thereís a lot of guys here. But Iím here working hard, and hopefully I can earn a spot and see where that takes me.Ē

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
has there been a single trade this season that didn't involve minor-league players?
Several!

Lovejoy to ANA
Tangradi to WPG
Ponikarovsky and Loktionov to NJ
Ellerby to LA

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Wahl was assigned to Hamilton one year. Why did that happen? Was he not getting along with the Heat? Just curious.
he was loaned because he wasnt getting any time in abby, feaster said it gave him the ability to play top 6 minutes which i dont think ever happened lol (from what i recall)

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:48 PM
caley

Hard to believe this is the 20th trade of the season already.

02-25-2013, 11:40 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:
Although it may not be the greatest quality highlight, the hit didn't appear at all to be malicious or didn't seem like the head was targeted. Wahl put himself in a vulnerable position by skating to the middle of the ice, admiring his pass and got caught in the trolley tracks.

He only has himself to blame for putting himself in that situation.
LOL Flames fans are complaining about that hit? When you coast across the offensive zone with your head down you're basically asking to be crushed. Volpatti did a pretty damn good job of staying on his feet and leading with the shoulder. Not even remotely dirty or unecessary.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:43 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
LOL Flames fans are complaining about that hit? When you coast across the offensive zone with your head down you're basically asking to be crushed. Volpatti did a pretty damn good job of staying on his feet and leading with the shoulder. Not even remotely dirty or unecessary.
1 person did, way to exaggerate it.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:46 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

According to NHL13, Mitch Wahl is the Flames' leading scorer in the year 2018. They gave up on him too quick.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:56 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
1 person did, way to exaggerate it.
Oh I misread and thought all those posts were from different people. Fair enough.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Stephen

This must be one of the more "Who?" trades in recent memory.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:59 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Joe Piskula jumping in to defend Wahl's honour after getting smoked like that on a clean hit is the icing on the cake for a guy like Volpatti.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:17 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
I still think maybe, one day Wahl could be an NHL player, sort of in a Kris Kolanos mold.

Don't know a lot about Testwuide, other than that hes physical. Anyone care to elaborate?

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:23 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
LOL.
ok lets talk about the legends know as Wahl and Testwuide.

meh for meh.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote