HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goodbye Weiss

Old
02-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Knightmare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I think so.

I don't think that explains why he looks so disinterested on the ice though. On the ice he seems like the high school kid who is daydreaming when the teacher calls on him. No anticipation - slow response to the developing play. It's as though someone sucked out his heart and hockey IQ.

There may be something physical, but I don't think it's ONLY physical. His head is just not in the game.
Omg. It was the MonStars.

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Cats Kneading Goals
#1 Fanthers Pan!

I can help Weiss with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTahrYXCChI

Cats Kneading Goals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:21 PM
DrMom9900

Im so over Weiss. He is the last vestige of Panther medicority left on this team. We need to get rid of this loser so we can finally have a fresh new face, and proceed with building a bigger better team.

DrMom9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Agree 100% im just opining that we seem to make excuses for Weiss we dont for others; the heart is speaking louder than the head.
I don't think anyone was making excuses AG. Harvey reported a couple weeks ago that Weiss was playing with a groin injury. Maybe it's feeling a lot better now, idk. It also jives with the fact that Weiss looked bad in the first three games of the season, and then sat out a few with a lower body injury. I think he was definitely injured for a good part of the season.

I just thought of a possible reason for his uninspired play though, maybe after several games he saw the direction this team was headed in, and with him not wanting to sign a contract until after the season, knows that as a bottomfeeder we are going to trade him before the deadline. It would explain why he seemingly looks more dazed and lackadaisical with every passing game. I'm pretty sure he wanted to retire here.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:12 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I don't think anyone was making excuses AG. Harvey reported a couple weeks ago that Weiss was playing with a groin injury. Maybe it's feeling a lot better now, idk. It also jives with the fact that Weiss looked bad in the first three games of the season, and then sat out a few with a lower body injury. I think he was definitely injured for a good part of the season.

I just thought of a possible reason for his uninspired play though, maybe after several games he saw the direction this team was headed in, and with him not wanting to sign a contract until after the season, knows that as a bottomfeeder we are going to trade him before the deadline. It would explain why he seemingly looks more dazed and lackadaisical with every passing game. I'm pretty sure he wanted to retire here.
Last year if I remember correctly, wasn't he playing hurt after the half-way point? He really tries to play through injuries when maybe it might be better to take a seat and let those injuries heal properly. Especially with a groin injury.

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Laus723
Future Now

We've seen Weiss play with injuries, its almost unnoticeable and I don't recall him ever being benched.

02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Last year if I remember correctly, wasn't he playing hurt after the half-way point? He really tries to play through injuries when maybe it might be better to take a seat and let those injuries heal properly. Especially with a groin injury.
I can't recall, but it wouldn't surprise me, not the first time he's done it. It's possible all the injuries over the years have taken a toll on his game too. There's hardly been a season where he hasn't been injured. He might be done for, at least as a top 6 guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
We've seen Weiss play with injuries, its almost unnoticeable and I don't recall him ever being benched.
He hasn't displayed his dynamic speed at all this season. It's like he's skating in mud most of the time. Even the laziest of the lazy will skate as hard as they can from time to time.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:41 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
He hasn't displayed his dynamic speed at all this season. It's like he's skating in mud most of the time. Even the laziest of the lazy will skate as hard as they can from time to time.
Sounds like a groin injury if I've ever heard of one.

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Benched

vCash: 157
If he is injured or not, I don't know. But if he is, that's not all that's weighing him down. Even an injured player doesn't do some of the crap he's been doing. He just looks like he doesn't care what's going on out there, doesn't care about getting into position and staying in position much less trying to score.

He's lost interest in this team. When that happens, it's time to go.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:24 PM
KW

Weiss is tanking just like Olli did, he's just smarter and not telling anyone.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:27 PM
RainingRats

I don't think Weiss would do anything intentional to hurt this team or play lazy on purpose. That is CRAZY. He's going to be a UFA! This is his most important year in a long time.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Sounds like a groin injury if I've ever heard of one.
My feelings as well.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I don't think Weiss would do anything intentional to hurt this team or play lazy on purpose. That is CRAZY. He's going to be a UFA! This is his most important year in a long time.
It's possible he's bummed though because he knows he's going to be traded and he wanted to stay and retire here.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
It's possible he's bummed though because he knows he's going to be traded and he wanted to stay and retire here.
I disagree, because he would have signed an extension and not risked a poor season or a severe injury. He's probably got a nagging injury he thinks he can play through.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I disagree, because he would have signed an extension and not risked a poor season or a severe injury. He's probably got a nagging injury he thinks he can play through.
Maybe we don't even want him anymore. I'm sure he is playing through an injury right now, but I don't think that's all that's wrong with him. He looks mentally slow.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Madhatter73

Odd how a kid that gave the last 10 years of his life busting his *** for a horrible team is getting such disrespect from the people.

IMHO the blame lies solely on Dineen. Giving Jovo the "C" was a HUGE slap in the face to Weiss and I don't blame him if he's upset about it. At least if Dineen had given it to Campbell it could be justified. The guy's an all star.

In addition to picking a "C" that sits in the pressbox, Dineen has been responsible for:
- Short practices (45 minutes) during the already shortened pre-season
- Giving the team the day off after lazy losses
- Not pulling goaltenders
- Not getting the players to play hard every shift. (That's the MAIN job of a coach)
- Taking 1/3 of the season to take action against Weiss (a coach is supposed to instill accountability)
- Playing Kuba REPEATEDLY on the top pairing with Campbell even though he's HORRIBLE this year.
- Putting Kovalev on the PK
- Putting Kovalev on the point during the PP (he's to slow to get back on a turnover)
- Breaking up the ONLY good line for the team to try to create a spark with someone that should have simply been demoted.

At what point do we start to open our eyes and see that Dineen is just not cutting it as coach?

I'm not giving him a pass because this team made it to the playoffs last year. It was a team of cast-offs with a lot to prove to themselves. They also stated publically that they wanted to get there for Weiss. They didn't need any added motivation.

This year is different.

If I'm Tallon, I'm on the phone trying to get Ruff back here ASAP. I'm done waiting for Dineen to figure out what's wrong.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Benched

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
Odd how a kid that gave the last 10 years of his life busting his *** for a horrible team is getting such disrespect from the people.

IMHO the blame lies solely on Dineen. Giving Jovo the "C" was a HUGE slap in the face to Weiss and I don't blame him if he's upset about it. At least if Dineen had given it to Campbell it could be justified. The guy's an all star.

In addition to picking a "C" that sits in the pressbox, Dineen has been responsible for:
- Not getting the players to play hard every shift. (That's the MAIN job of a coach)
- Taking 1/3 of the season to take action against Weiss (a coach is supposed to instill accountability)
- Playing Kuba REPEATEDLY on the top pairing with Campbell even though he's HORRIBLE this year.
- Putting Kovalev on the point during the PP (he's to slow to get back on a turnover)

- Breaking up the ONLY good line for the team to try to create a spark with someone that should have simply been demoted.

At what point do we start to open our eyes and see that Dineen is just not cutting it as coach?

I'm not giving him a pass because this team made it to the playoffs last year. It was a team of cast-offs with a lot to prove to themselves. They also stated publically that they wanted to get there for Weiss. They didn't need any added motivation.

This year is different.

If I'm Tallon, I'm on the phone trying to get Ruff back here ASAP. I'm done waiting for Dineen to figure out what's wrong.
I've called attention to all three of these before and I completely agree with you.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:48 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Odd how a kid that gave the last 10 years of his life busting his *** for a horrible team is getting such disrespect from the people. ... Giving Jovo the "C" was a HUGE slap in the face to Weiss and I don't blame him if he's upset about it.

So....in sum, you support Weiss in shutting it down like a 2 year old and playing like crap, because....daddy didn't make him captain? He's not accountable for his own acts ???

If he's pulling a jayblow and intentionally gliding, iM glad he didn't get a C. He should take a page from kopescky and just busy arse out there.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:51 PM
p9ers

Quote:

It would be stupid to ask tired player to do long practices when they game so close to each other.
In what game would you have pulled out the goaltender? Usually they score the tying goal in the last minute of the game and the team crap it's collective pants in overtime.
You want to get scored on every shift or what? Putting an execrable Kuba with (a back then) bad Weaver would have been handing out a goal every other shift.
They brought Kovalev for that.
He's your "best" player, you can't leave him on the fourth line untill he explode for an hat trick playing with Parros.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
So....in sum, you support Weiss in shutting it down like a 2 year old and playing like crap, because....daddy didn't make him captain? He's not accountable for his own acts ???

If he's pulling a jayblow and intentionally gliding, iM glad he didn't get a C. He should take a page from kopescky and just busy arse out there.
There's a HUGE difference between intentionally gliding and not giving 100+% because you got wronged by your employer of 10 years. He's still a human being and something like that will affect his game. Couple that with the injuries this year and there is an explanation.

Please don't compare him to JayBo. JayBo never wanted to be here. Apples and Oranges.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
It would be stupid to ask tired player to do long practices when they game so close to each other.
In what game would you have pulled out the goaltender? Usually they score the tying goal in the last minute of the game and the team crap it's collective pants in overtime.
You want to get scored on every shift or what? Putting an execrable Kuba with (a back then) bad Weaver would have been handing out a goal every other shift.
They brought Kovalev for that.
He's your "best" player, you can't leave him on the fourth line untill he explode for an hat trick playing with Parros.
The short practices were in the pre-season. Close games had no relation at that point.

Last year it was about the last minute. What you say is true for the 3-4 games games we blew the lead in, but MANY more games than that were flat out blowouts. (thus our goal differential)

I'd rather have a bad Kuba/weaver pairing against a teams 4th line with limited minutes than putting Kuba against the other teams top talent. Sorry.

Kovalev can help on the powerplay, no doubt. But it would have to be wing. Anyone that thinks Kovalev should be on the PK needs to lookup the definition of "defensively responsible".

You put him on the 4th line for multiple reasons
- Demotions motivate players that want top line minutes
- He'll be playing against other teams' lower lines, thus increasing the possibility of breaking the funk.
- You can promote other players that are playing better to a spot more deserving.

BTW, Parros has as many goals as Weiss, better +/- and a better shooting percentage. If Parros belongs on the 3rd or 4th line, Weiss certainly can play a game there to see if he wakes up.

The fact that Dineen did NOTHING with Weiss for 1/3 of the season says a ton about his (lack of) decision making.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:43 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
I've called attention to all three of these before and I completely agree with you.
If you don't understand why Dineen gave those a shot, then I'm sure as hell glad you are not coaching this team. All of you armchair coaches are really seeming a little unpleasant about now.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
If you don't understand why Dineen gave those a shot, then I'm sure as hell glad you are not coaching this team. All of you armchair coaches are really seeming a little unpleasant about now.
Absolutely give them a shot... But also be smart enough to recognize when it's not working and make a change WAY sooner... Dineen takes way too long to make changes to something that's just not working...

Old
02-26-2013, 01:52 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I agree that Dineen deserves some **** for this sorry excuse for a hockey team.

It's really a combination of things. I really think KD did a horrible job getting this team ready for the season and didn't do enough to adjust early on. Yes we had some injuries but we have come out of the gate looking absolutely terrible.

Our first line is a total enigma and makes me sick just to think about that situation.

As for bringing in Lindy Ruff, he was the guy I wanted before Dineen got hired. He's constantly taken an average roster and turned it into a playoff-calibur team year after year, something that us, as a team who never will have a true superstar, desperately needs.

But I think firing Dineen is the wrong move. First you need to move the personnel that clearly doesn't want to be here/won't try while wearing Panther red. If we're going to lose, I better at least be seeing some effort. Right now 90% of our roster should go IMO.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:56 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Also, look what Therrien has done in Montreal. Almost the same roster, many expected them to finish near the bottom of the East standings.

Instead, they are on top. Why? Are they really more talented then us? No.

But they're top line players have scored (ours are non-existent), the young guys are contributing (ours are too), getting great goaltending (we are not), but mainly they are skating hard every night.

You get the puck and they are on you. They played us harder than Boston did last night. Not because they were physical but because they never even gave us a chance to think about what to do with the puck let alone actually do it. I wish I saw this team work that hard. It's like the sun and the beaches just makes them lazy.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote