HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Draft Thread 2013

Old
01-31-2013, 03:13 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
One guy who seems to have it all is Athanasiou. He's listed as 6'2" at the OHL website although the Wings have him listed at 6'. He's a great skater, can PK and has high end offensive skill. It's also good to see Sheahan start to produce offense in the AHL, I haven't given up on him being a top 6 forward just yet. With that being said I do think we need more top 6 guys with size who can skate. Those guys are tough to get with how late we tend to draft.
Except hockey IQ.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:54 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Except hockey IQ.
And a good attitude, although it seems better in Barrie

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Jimbo7200

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm of the mind the Wings should take the beat available offensive player wherever we fall in the first. If we're picking at 20 and there's a Nichushkin, Gauthier, de La Rose, or Zykov there I say take them.
Our defensive prospect corps is very deep with Sproul, Oullette, Backman, Marchenko, Jensen, and Lashoff all showing well. We should also take into account that Dekeyser could sign here soon, making that pool even stronger.

I'm of the mind this is a good year to add some real scoring ability. Maybe in the first we take some of the safer options like Hartman or Fasching. I want to see us at least try to add some potentially elite players though. Take a gamble on a Shlepyshev, Buchnevich, or Mamin.

I also really like the grit in this class. Guys like Mike McCarron and Kerby Rychel would be fantastic picks to lock down the 3rd line in the future.

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:28 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm of the mind the Wings should take the beat available offensive player wherever we fall in the first. If we're picking at 20 and there's a Nichushkin, Gauthier, de La Rose, or Zykov there I say take them.
Our defensive prospect corps is very deep with Sproul, Oullette, Backman, Marchenko, Jensen, and Lashoff all showing well. We should also take into account that Dekeyser could sign here soon, making that pool even stronger.

I'm of the mind this is a good year to add some real scoring ability. Maybe in the first we take some of the safer options like Hartman or Fasching. I want to see us at least try to add some potentially elite players though. Take a gamble on a Shlepyshev, Buchnevich, or Mamin.

I also really like the grit in this class. Guys like Mike McCarron and Kerby Rychel would be fantastic picks to lock down the 3rd line in the future.
I would tend to agree with you the exception being if Nurse, Zadorov or Pulock are there when we pick.

Though 2 players I think we could see the wings pick in 20-30 range are Curtis Lazar or Valentin Zykov. One is very good 2 way player with offensive potential (the typical safe first round pick), the other is a highly skilled player from the Q.

Last edited by DatsyukToZetterberg: 02-03-2013 at 02:51 PM.
DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

What do you guys think about Alex Wennberg? Ranked 11th by MacKenzie, but who knows where he'll go in the end. He's only 8th amongst European skaters by Central Scouting, which would probably translate to somewhere in the 20s. So I have to think he'd be available to a reasonably poor Wings team.

Here are some clips from the WJC. He's #10 for Sweden. I really like his speed, overall skill level, and he doesn't seem weak on the boards. He's maybe not a power forward, but he could be a big, strong player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hzRaJNl6Us

edit: and if you want to watch him play with his club team, they have all of their games uploaded here. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list..._VjL8XQkoJGPqv

Last edited by Guru Meditation: 02-04-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:25 PM
joe89

I would characterize Wennberg as a finesse player albeit hard worker. He's 6'1 with a lean frame, although could possibly grow to 6'2 when things are said and done. Think Loui Eriksson, rather tall but lanky and slippery.

I think 11 is a reach right now, he's very complete but not sure his potential warrants that pick.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I would characterize Wennberg as a finesse player albeit hard worker. He's 6'1 with a lean frame, although could possibly grow to 6'2 when things are said and done. Think Loui Eriksson, rather tall but lanky and slippery.

I think 11 is a reach right now, he's very complete but not sure his potential warrants that pick.

Good use of a pick in the low 20s?

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:14 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

I can't say that I am one of the people who is writing the Wings off as being destined for the first pick in the 2013 entry draft, I still believe that the Wings will likely make it into the playoffs, though likely with only enough gas in the tank for a first round exit. Having said that,

I think that the upside in tanking high enough to pick Seth Jones, aside from the chance to nab Jones at the draft, would be the potential to trade up for another first round pick using our second/third round picks.

Seth Jones would be something, certainly, but the chance of Jones and another potential franchise player, be it a forward such as Valeri Nichushkin, or another defenseman, such as Darnell Nurse, would make the rebuild/retooling of this team considerably faster, and much, much more bearable.

If the Wings tank, might as well go all out and aim for a very deep first round draft pool. Whether the Wings tank or triumph, I only hope it's with sincere effort.

TheFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Something to rue cruel fate over:

5. Who is your favourite NHL team?

"I've always loved the Detroit Red Wings. I started liking them when Pavel Datsyuk was young and they looked like a really good young squad."

who said that?

Seth Jones.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:41 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Something to rue cruel fate over:

5. Who is your favourite NHL team?

"I've always loved the Detroit Red Wings. I started liking them when Pavel Datsyuk was young and they looked like a really good young squad."

who said that?

Seth Jones.

He said he tries to model his game after Nick Lidstrom, too...

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:50 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Seth Jones deserves to be in Detroit...**** the draft system :'(

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:55 PM
StormSurge9

There was a Red Wings scout at the Guelph Storm/Sudbury Wolves game today. As a Storm and a Red Wings fan I would love to see Jason Dickinson don the Winged Wheel one day.

He has the talent to be a top line player. Consistency issues likely put him in the bottom half of the first round, unless he shows up big in the playoffs. He obviously needs to work on strength but he definitely has room to put muscle on his 6'2" frame. He also plays much more physical then he did in his rookie season which is good.

There is also a fair amount of non-first round picks between the two teams as well.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:01 PM
RedWinger10

I won't even be alive in 2103 so I don't care. Haha

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:40 PM
JimLaheyprobert

if we are picking in the 10-15 range i think darnell nurse is the guy to get, if we are picking in the 15-20 range i think kerby rychle is the guy to get. rychle's stock is rising tho because he is a big body who doesnt mind dropping the gloves and can put the puck in the net, the redwings need a guy like this

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:10 PM
BeerLeagueAllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
if we are picking in the 10-15 range i think darnell nurse is the guy to get, if we are picking in the 15-20 range i think kerby rychle is the guy to get. rychle's stock is rising tho because he is a big body who doesnt mind dropping the gloves and can put the puck in the net, the redwings need a guy like this
Yeah I think Nurse is definitely high on their list, but if he's gone before they pick I wouldn't be surprised to see them reach for Robert Hagg. Apparently Hakan is pretty high on him.

BeerLeagueAllStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
There was a Red Wings scout at the Guelph Storm/Sudbury Wolves game today. As a Storm and a Red Wings fan I would love to see Jason Dickinson don the Winged Wheel one day.

He has the talent to be a top line player. Consistency issues likely put him in the bottom half of the first round, unless he shows up big in the playoffs. He obviously needs to work on strength but he definitely has room to put muscle on his 6'2" frame. He also plays much more physical then he did in his rookie season which is good.

There is also a fair amount of non-first round picks between the two teams as well.
I would be happy with Dickinson as a mid-to-late first rounder. Did you notice the Baptiste kid from Sudbury at all?

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:16 PM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420

ruin for drouin?!?

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:17 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Is the thread title ever going to be changed?

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:18 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

At this point, If we continue our winning ways, I'll be satisfied to settle with Robert Hagg.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Is the thread title ever going to be changed?
It wouldn't need to be if you guys could just stay on topic.

Seriously guys who are we going to draft in 2103

Last edited by Jurky: 02-25-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:20 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
It would need to be if you guys could just stay on topic.

Seriously guys who are we going to draft in 2103
Cyborg Lidstrom and Yzerman.

with genetically modified Pavel Datsyuk who can teleport.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Cyborg Lidstrom and Yzerman.

with genetically modified Pavel Datsyuk who can teleport.
I was leaning more towards flying Gordie Howe with a frickin laser beam attached to his head.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:30 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
I was leaning more towards flying Gordie Howe with a frickin laser beam attached to his head.
He wont be ready till the 2105 draft. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:44 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
I would be happy with Dickinson as a mid-to-late first rounder. Did you notice the Baptiste kid from Sudbury at all?
Unfortunately I only get to see the Eastern Confrence teams once per season here in Guelph. So this was the only time Sudbury will be in town, and almost no one had a good game on the team this time around.

Baptiste did have a few good shifts though, but also some bad ones.

Another player from Guelph I would like to see the Wings draft is Todd Bertuzzi's nephew, Tyler. He fits the "super pest" term to a tee. Grew like 4 or 5 inches since the beginning of his rookie season. He is a bit slight, but he has been putting on muscle. I think he would have enough skill to become a bottom 6 player. He could be had like 6/7 round.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:41 AM
InjuredChoker

Nhl.com with few mock drafts here.

Not focusing on brutality of those rankings, we would have Hartman or Morrissey based on those mocks.

With first mock I'd take Zadorov, or Gauthier
On second Zadorov again or Gauthier, maybe Nicshuskin depending on his plans.
And third one would go for Ristolainen.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote