Notices

Official 2012-2013 College Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

vCash: 500
I have the utmost confidence in this Gopher team to win it all this year. They might not end up winning the McNaughton but that shouldn't be the big goal for this team.

They really have stepped up their play in big games against tough opponents (BC, ND, UND) and luckily they won't have to beat anybody twice in the NCAA tournament.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Sportsfan1

^True, would still like to see some level of consistency down the stretch right now though.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

vCash: 3385
Badgers beat PSU tonight 5-0
UW had 51 shots

Old
02-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalbooya View Post
Badgers beat PSU tonight 5-0
UW had 51 shots
Not looking forward to being in a conference with Penn State. They're not ready for the level they're about to enter and it's going to cause a lot of lopsided games in a very small conference.

Stupid big 10

Old
02-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
Not looking forward to being in a conference with Penn State. They're not ready for the level they're about to enter and it's going to cause a lot of lopsided games in a very small conference.

Stupid big 10
I personally wish the big ten would just stick to every other sport except for hockey. I'm gonna miss the WCHA

Old
02-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
I personally wish the big ten would just stick to every other sport except for hockey. I'm gonna miss the WCHA
I think everyone outside of the corporate heads of the Big 10 conference and network will miss the WCHA.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Badgers jump up 10 spots in the Pairwise after the 5-0 win over Penn St.
I just don't get it.....

Old
02-25-2013, 11:49 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Yeah, outside Michigan and Wisconsin, there ain't a whole lot else in the Big 10 to get excited about when it comes to watching Gopher puck.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Penn St. finally got their first goal of the series about 13 minutes left in the third period. 2-1 Badgers despite Badger domination. State's frosh goalie is doing amazing, and likes to take shots at people that take an extra poke AND 2-2 OMFG

Old
02-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

3-2 State in OT.....
I believe Landon Peterson cost the Badgers the game.... Needs to control his rebounds A LOT better. Rumpel is the way to go the rest of the way IMO.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:46 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
3-2 State in OT.....
I believe Landon Peterson cost the Badgers the game.... Needs to control his rebounds A LOT better. Rumpel is the way to go the rest of the way IMO.
we went 3-2 in the fake big 10 this year split with wiscy and msu and beat osu. id imagine next year we should have more talent on the team considering the older players we have would have been mostly club team players.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:48 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Penn St. finally got their first goal of the series about 13 minutes left in the third period. 2-1 Badgers despite Badger domination. State's frosh goalie is doing amazing, and likes to take shots at people that take an extra poke AND 2-2 OMFG
our goaltending should be good next year. skoff finished the year 9-8 and had some games where he had to make a lot of saves. an incoming freshman goalie for us is projected to be a 3rd-4th round pick in this summers draft.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:54 AM
mnhowitzer

Love the result. UW drops to 28 in the PWR with that stinker. Hard to put the blame squarely on Peterson when you have defensive breakdowns and can only muster 2 goals. Kerdiles had a chance to clear the zone and flipped it up like one of my Squirt kids and the D man held the zone.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhowitzer View Post
Love the result. UW drops to 28 in the PWR with that stinker. Hard to put the blame squarely on Peterson when you have defensive breakdowns and can only muster 2 goals. Kerdiles had a chance to clear the zone and flipped it up like one of my Squirt kids and the D man held the zone.
I'm going to love it when the goofs fail in the playoffs like every other Minnesota sports team. Yes I took it to that level.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:45 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
The last goal was definitely on Kerdiles but the first two were soft goals by Peterson.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 50
Just saw this video in the Paul Martin mainboard thread. Pretty funny!

Old
02-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Got my tickets for the women's game on Friday. Never seen women's hockey before. Should be fun. Taking the kid too.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Quote:
Do they update Pairwise every day? It says Wisconsin is sitting in a tie for 25th in the Pairwise. I know they were 28 on Monday/Tuesday.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Do they update Pairwise every day? It says Wisconsin is sitting in a tie for 25th in the Pairwise. I know they were 28 on Monday/Tuesday.
Yes, since it's just math and no votes are involved, it's update pretty quickly.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Dear Minnesota Golden Goofs... Please sweep Denver so Wisconsin can have home playoffs

Old
03-02-2013, 01:14 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
A couple things have to break our way but it can be clinched tomorrow.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
A couple things have to break our way but it can be clinched tomorrow.
Better hope you clinch it today

Old
03-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Quote:
Better hope you clinch it today
Like you guys are going to sweep us. Ha!

Old
03-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Gopher women's game was fun. Went with two of my teammates who are huge fans of the team. Still half empty but the crowds are getting bigger. A lot more family friendly than the men's games but not as silent as the Wild games thanks to the fans and the band. So in between the two.

First period, Gophers were playing sloppy. I hadn't seen them before, but they were bobbling passes that I could catch flat, I mean not just losing control, but flat out losing the puck over and over again. They were a little sluggish and I think were outshot in the first. Bemidji was getting the puck on net and crashing for rebounds, Gopher goalie was covering pucks quickly.

Second period was night and day. Gophers started flying and drawing penalties and outshot the Beavers something like 20-5. Got a goal and the crowd went crazy. It can get loud in there with the band, horn, and crowd. But it's smaller. Cool atmosphere.

Third period just wasn't a contest. I mean, Bemidji had a few nice shots, but the Gophers just dominated. I think they got four goals in that frame and got the shutout. They had some shifts where they were in the offensive zone the whole time, then changed behind the play, and that next line was in the zone the whole time.

Beavers never gave up though and battled without playing cheap. I thought they were better in the first, just ran into a great goalie. The pace of the game was slower than I'm used to (well except men's league), I'd say probably closer to a boy's high school game. There wasn't any full on body checking which didn't detract from the game at all. Not a lot of interference either. Just full on offense and board play, good battles along the boards.

Unfortunately, it seems they were resting Amanda Kessel as she is banged up, so she only played on the PP. She's got 94 points in 32 games. 20 higher than the next Gopher. 45 higher than the third. Just incredible to think about.

A few more impressive players were Meghan Bozek who I believe had two goals, she had a great deal of speed, controlled the puck well, and a very good shot. I liked Kelly Terry's game too, she's smaller but was really tenacious with the puck along the boards and had some speed as well. And Rachel Ramsey, former Wild assistant coach (and 1980 Olympian) Mike's daughter, was physically on another level, big and strong and had a bomb of a shot.

Gopher's goalie Noora Raty, from Finland, got her 40th career shutout which is an NCAA record. She's smaller but comes WAY out of the net to challenge and has a good glove and quick reflexes. Very calm too. Plays the puck well. Crazy thing is she's played in two Winter Olympics already, played at 16 years old in the 2006 Olympics and won the bronze with Finland in 2010.

So a very cool night. Tickets are cheap too. Bench seating so you can sit on the glass or up if you prefer.

Except for the bus ride home, where a guy who claimed to be from Jamaica and/or Africa was yelling about how he was going to kill and mess up this guy and swearing nonstop.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Like you guys are going to sweep us. Ha!
Wisconsin is well on their way to sweeping UNO. 4-3 yesterday and up 4-1 right now in the second period. Plus the fact Wisconsin needs more wins to improve their NCAA tourney chances. Don't be shocked if Wisco sweeps you guys.

Edit: 5-1 Badgers in the second period

Closed Thread