HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - 2012-13 (Part XI)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
  #601
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the Jets have no chance at the playoffs. I still think they have an outside chance. That is all I was getting at.
I think our problem (not being a legit playoff contending team) is the lack of depth, to state the obvious. This team can put some games together, but can't seem to sustain it.

Too many things have to go right, for this team to win games. Flawless execution, take few penalties (and kill 90% of the ones you do take), force the opposition into taking penalties (and capitalize on over 25% of them), get outstanding goaltending, limit teams to only a few quality chances, play an in-your-face aggressive game, but don't get injured playing that style (by forcing the opposition to match that style to keep up).

You can do the above a few times and win, but it's next to impossible to do it for weeks on end with the depth the Jets have. That's the reason for the up and down record, imo. ROR, Brouwer, and Horton (names that have been thrown around as possible acquisitions) would definitely help, but the cost may be too high to acquire them (Burmi, Trouba, etc). I firmly believe Trouba will have an very positive impact to the roster when he does arrive. Scheifele, too.

Coaches talk about getting contributions from others, when it's needed, well... Welly, Thorbs, Tangradi, Slater, Wright, Antro and Olli all have to give quite a bit more, at forward, if this team is going to go on a playoff run, imo. Ladd, Kane, Wheeler, Burmi and Little have definitely carried the team, and i'm not sure (other than maybe Kane) they can keep the pace they are currently on.

Losing Enstrom, Buff and Redmond for extended periods, moving forward, is another huge blow. I can't see Clitsome, Postma or Stuart being able to play at a level, consistently, they'll be asked to, for the next 30 games. It will be tough. Hainsey, too.

Next 10 games may say a lot.

Bob E is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 06:34 PM
  #602
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
People want to trade Jokinen? You don't sign the best veteran center on the market, give him an A then trade him 17 games later. Or do you guys never want to sign another big free agent again? Players remember what teams are loyal to their players
I believe each case is different. For instance, i think Poni is appreciative of the opportunity to go back to NJ, a team he had success with and a team that really seems to want him there. I would think he speaks highly of how the Jets handled that deal.

That said, i don't think the Jets are interested in moving Olli. He's a veteran that adds size and experience to a young group. I see him coming back for next year, but might be dealt at next year's trade deadline.

Bob E is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 07:14 PM
  #603
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,013
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I think our problem (not being a legit playoff contending team) is the lack of depth, to state the obvious. This team can put some games together, but can't seem to sustain it.

Too many things have to go right, for this team to win games. Flawless execution, take few penalties (and kill 90% of the ones you do take), force the opposition into taking penalties (and capitalize on over 25% of them), get outstanding goaltending, limit teams to only a few quality chances, play an in-your-face aggressive game, but don't get injured playing that style (by forcing the opposition to match that style to keep up).

You can do the above a few times and win, but it's next to impossible to do it for weeks on end with the depth the Jets have. That's the reason for the up and down record, imo. ROR, Brouwer, and Horton (names that have been thrown around as possible acquisitions) would definitely help, but the cost may be too high to acquire them (Burmi, Trouba, etc). I firmly believe Trouba will have an very positive impact to the roster when he does arrive. Scheifele, too.

Coaches talk about getting contributions from others, when it's needed, well... Welly, Thorbs, Tangradi, Slater, Wright, Antro and Olli all have to give quite a bit more, at forward, if this team is going to go on a playoff run, imo. Ladd, Kane, Wheeler, Burmi and Little have definitely carried the team, and i'm not sure (other than maybe Kane) they can keep the pace they are currently on.

Losing Enstrom, Buff and Redmond for extended periods, moving forward, is another huge blow. I can't see Clitsome, Postma or Stuart being able to play at a level, consistently, they'll be asked to, for the next 30 games. It will be tough. Hainsey, too.

Next 10 games may say a lot.
I don't know that the current team needs everything to go right to pull out a win, but they definitely don't have the guns to win when everything goes wrong. The Jets are +2 at ES and that is with sub par goaltending and Olli, Welly, Antro, Burmi and Tangradi, in witness protection.

In general, it is hard to win when special teams puts you in a hole.


EDIT


The Jets are 5-5 in their last 10 and they started the year 3-1-1.

I think those games are a little more representative of this team than the 3 games where nothing went right.

Of course, no Buff and no Toby for a stretch could change that.


Last edited by truck: 02-25-2013 at 07:20 PM.
truck is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 07:15 PM
  #604
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,714
vCash: 50
I bet the Jets are more likely to be acquiring a defenseman right now than dealing someone. Despite our troubles and injuries on D, we are still in the mix. The SE is so weak and us showing that we can win on the road may have given Chevy the confidence to make a deal to bolster our D.

I'm fully behind something like this as long as none of our core are affected (or our 1st rounder this year, obviously).

If there is someone out there who is on an expiring contract on a team that's going nowhere, maybe there is a deal to be made. How about Regehr?

__________________
The farts have just started and thankfully the boyfriend has already headed home. -LadyJet
Jet is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 07:23 PM
  #605
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,013
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I bet the Jets are more likely to be acquiring a defenseman right now than dealing someone. Despite our troubles and injuries on D, we are still in the mix. The SE is so weak and us showing that we can win on the road may have given Chevy the confidence to make a deal to bolster our D.

I'm fully behind something like this as long as none of our core are affected (or our 1st rounder this year, obviously).

If there is someone out there who is on an expiring contract on a team that's going nowhere, maybe there is a deal to be made. How about Regehr?
If they can nab somebody useful for a couple 3rd and 4th round picks I am all for it. I would understand paying a little more for Smid (with and extension), but I don't see Chevy burning many assets for an older rental.

truck is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 07:26 PM
  #606
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,838
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
If they can nab somebody useful for a couple 3rd and 4th round picks I am all for it. I would understand paying a little more for Smid (with and extension), but I don't see Chevy burning many assets for an older rental.
Especially if it looks like we won't run deep. I have no problems with trying to get people some post-season experience, but I only want Chevy to work the phones if it looks like the Jets are poised for a deep run into the playoffs.

DespoticNewt is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 07:34 PM
  #607
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,714
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
If they can nab somebody useful for a couple 3rd and 4th round picks I am all for it. I would understand paying a little more for Smid (with and extension), but I don't see Chevy burning many assets for an older rental.
I guess my dream with Regehr is that we grab him for a draft pick or lower prospect, and he has such a great experience here that he re-signs.

IMHO he is exactly the type of defenceman this club needs.

Jet is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 08:47 PM
  #608
Conflicted Habs fan
Registered User
 
Conflicted Habs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 539
vCash: 50
Looking at how the Jets play, they're reminiscent of the Leafs under Burke; fast skating, huge rebounds off the goaltender, weak defense. One reason for the Leafs poor performance win wise is the fact that they were designed primarily to be "entertaining" in order to draw fan interest and hence gain profitability to their product. Since I read that the Jets have made no significant changes to their scouting programs, retaining the old Atlanta network I'm thinking that TNSE like the MLSE is designing a product to gain profit first, and performance second.

Conflicted Habs fan is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 09:00 PM
  #609
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,838
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
Looking at how the Jets play, they're reminiscent of the Leafs under Burke; fast skating, huge rebounds off the goaltender, weak defense. One reason for the Leafs poor performance win wise is the fact that they were designed primarily to be "entertaining" in order to draw fan interest and hence gain profitability to their product. Since I read that the Jets have made no significant changes to their scouting programs, retaining the old Atlanta network I'm thinking that TNSE like the MLSE is designing a product to gain profit first, and performance second.
I sincerely doubt that. A GM is worried about winning. An ownership is worried about profit. The two aren't mutually exclusive. MLSE could literally ice turds on skates and still turn a profit. The Jets don't have that luxury, and Mark Chipman is more of a face to the ownership than the Ontario Teacher's Union and now Rogers and Bell. Chipman is interested in the long term viability of the franchise in Winnipeg, and nothing sells that better than icing a winning team. Also, weak defense? Our D is probably our strongest asset right now. The only thing holding it back is the injuries to our top 4.

DespoticNewt is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 09:00 PM
  #610
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,013
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
Looking at how the Jets play, they're reminiscent of the Leafs under Burke; fast skating, huge rebounds off the goaltender, weak defense. One reason for the Leafs poor performance win wise is the fact that they were designed primarily to be "entertaining" in order to draw fan interest and hence gain profitability to their product. Since I read that the Jets have made no significant changes to their scouting programs, retaining the old Atlanta network I'm thinking that TNSE like the MLSE is designing a product to gain profit first, and performance second.
Rebounds are Pav problem and most non Winnipeggers think the Jets are a horrific and boring team to watch, so I don't buy your theory.

truck is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 09:10 PM
  #611
jetkarma
Registered User
 
jetkarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I think our problem (not being a legit playoff contending team) is the lack of depth, to state the obvious. This team can put some games together, but can't seem to sustain it.

Too many things have to go right, for this team to win games. Flawless execution, take few penalties (and kill 90% of the ones you do take), force the opposition into taking penalties (and capitalize on over 25% of them), get outstanding goaltending, limit teams to only a few quality chances, play an in-your-face aggressive game, but don't get injured playing that style (by forcing the opposition to match that style to keep up).

You can do the above a few times and win, but it's next to impossible to do it for weeks on end with the depth the Jets have. That's the reason for the up and down record, imo. ROR, Brouwer, and Horton (names that have been thrown around as possible acquisitions) would definitely help, but the cost may be too high to acquire them (Burmi, Trouba, etc). I firmly believe Trouba will have an very positive impact to the roster when he does arrive. Scheifele, too.

Coaches talk about getting contributions from others, when it's needed, well... Welly, Thorbs, Tangradi, Slater, Wright, Antro and Olli all have to give quite a bit more, at forward, if this team is going to go on a playoff run, imo. Ladd, Kane, Wheeler, Burmi and Little have definitely carried the team, and i'm not sure (other than maybe Kane) they can keep the pace they are currently on.

Losing Enstrom, Buff and Redmond for extended periods, moving forward, is another huge blow. I can't see Clitsome, Postma or Stuart being able to play at a level, consistently, they'll be asked to, for the next 30 games. It will be tough. Hainsey, too.

Next 10 games may say a lot.
Pretty much agree with the entire post. I have said this from the start of the year and prior to that .

This is a streaky team with streaky players. Some of them are showing signs of being less so and replacing that aspect with more and better consistency. That is a plus.

The d carried a lot of the offense early , that is ok , this team is designed at least partially to play that way , with injuries and a slow down , the lack of scoring from most of the forwards is limiting the wins though imo.

C scoring , lack of help from the 3rd and 4th lines , it all matters to the bottom line. It will be harder to improve the team from trades but saying that, if it is the right one I would expect Chevy to pull the trigger if that was available. We wait patiently ( some of us ) for picks like Scheifele , Trouba and Lowery to make the team and contribute enough to move the team from out of the playoffs to in , to deep playoff runs ...Chevy and Chipman always said they would pursue the right FA at the right time ... that should be fairly soon imo. In the meantime , IF we have real playoff hopes , the secondary players need to start contributing more .


Last edited by jetkarma: 02-25-2013 at 09:34 PM.
jetkarma is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 09:16 PM
  #612
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
All this talk about trade targets with St Louis and no mention of Chris Stewart? I've been wanting that guy since last season when it didn't seem like he was a fit to Hitchcock's system.

drumzan is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 09:42 PM
  #613
viper0220
Go Jets Go
 
viper0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,502
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I believe each case is different. For instance, i think Poni is appreciative of the opportunity to go back to NJ, a team he had success with and a team that really seems to want him there. I would think he speaks highly of how the Jets handled that deal.

That said, i don't think the Jets are interested in moving Olli. He's a veteran that adds size and experience to a young group. I see him coming back for next year, but might be dealt at next year's trade deadline.


If some team offers a 1st round pick for Olli, then you go talk to him and see if he wants to move. We are a couple of years away from being Stanley cup team. If he wants to win a cup now, the. You let him.

viper0220 is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 09:48 PM
  #614
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,838
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
If some team offers a 1st round pick for Olli, then you go talk to him and see if he wants to move. We are a couple of years away from being Stanley cup team. If he wants to win a cup now, the. You let him.
Joker isn't worth a first. If we're talking picks, Chevy could probably move him for a 2nd and a 3rd.

DespoticNewt is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 09:50 PM
  #615
viper0220
Go Jets Go
 
viper0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,502
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Joker isn't worth a first. If we're talking picks, Chevy could probably move him for a 2nd and a 3rd.

I think a team desparate enough, might give a first pick for him.

viper0220 is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 09:51 PM
  #616
viper0220
Go Jets Go
 
viper0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,502
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Joker isn't worth a first. If we're talking picks, Chevy could probably move him for a 2nd and a 3rd.

Or two 2nd round picks but try for a first.

viper0220 is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 09:59 PM
  #617
jetkarma
Registered User
 
jetkarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
As was mentioned before , I believe the fact Chevy traded Poni back to NJ will be viewed as a positive. Actually I think NJ wasn't offering that kind of dollar amount , so for the player , it is a positive.

jetkarma is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 10:23 PM
  #618
jetkarma
Registered User
 
jetkarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
I think Patric Hornqvist is a FA this season , he could be another RW that may be available , Horton , Clarkson Hornqvist , we could use one of them to balance Kane and Ladd on the other wing.

jetkarma is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 10:59 PM
  #619
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
I think Patric Hornqvist is a FA this season , he could be another RW that may be available , Horton , Clarkson Hornqvist , we could use one of them to balance Kane and Ladd on the other wing.
As a RFA, i think the preds will try to sign Hornqvist long-term. He's their Wheeler, though. A guy who will ask for more money than i think the preds will want to pay. May be interesting to keep an eye on his situation.

Bob E is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:12 PM
  #620
jetkarma
Registered User
 
jetkarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
As a RFA, i think the preds will try to sign Hornqvist long-term. He's their Wheeler, though. A guy who will ask for more money than i think the preds will want to pay. May be interesting to keep an eye on his situation.
He's an RFA? Saw this "2010/08/24 Re-signed as a restricted free agent by the Nashville Predators to a three-year contract"...Is there good site for information on free agents?

jetkarma is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:21 PM
  #621
Duir
Registered Bunk
 
Duir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I think our problem (not being a legit playoff contending team) is the lack of depth, to state the obvious. This team can put some games together, but can't seem to sustain it.

Too many things have to go right, for this team to win games. Flawless execution, take few penalties (and kill 90% of the ones you do take), force the opposition into taking penalties (and capitalize on over 25% of them), get outstanding goaltending, limit teams to only a few quality chances, play an in-your-face aggressive game, but don't get injured playing that style (by forcing the opposition to match that style to keep up).

You can do the above a few times and win, but it's next to impossible to do it for weeks on end with the depth the Jets have. That's the reason for the up and down record, imo. ROR, Brouwer, and Horton (names that have been thrown around as possible acquisitions) would definitely help, but the cost may be too high to acquire them (Burmi, Trouba, etc). I firmly believe Trouba will have an very positive impact to the roster when he does arrive. Scheifele, too.

Coaches talk about getting contributions from others, when it's needed, well... Welly, Thorbs, Tangradi, Slater, Wright, Antro and Olli all have to give quite a bit more, at forward, if this team is going to go on a playoff run, imo. Ladd, Kane, Wheeler, Burmi and Little have definitely carried the team, and i'm not sure (other than maybe Kane) they can keep the pace they are currently on.

Losing Enstrom, Buff and Redmond for extended periods, moving forward, is another huge blow. I can't see Clitsome, Postma or Stuart being able to play at a level, consistently, they'll be asked to, for the next 30 games. It will be tough. Hainsey, too.

Next 10 games may say a lot.
Think you nailed it totally.

Duir is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:28 PM
  #622
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
He's an RFA? Saw this "2010/08/24 Re-signed as a restricted free agent by the Nashville Predators to a three-year contract"...Is there good site for information on free agents?
Capgeek is always a favorite of mine.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?...1&fa_type_id=1

Bob E is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:29 PM
  #623
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
He's an RFA? Saw this "2010/08/24 Re-signed as a restricted free agent by the Nashville Predators to a three-year contract"...Is there good site for information on free agents?
Capgeek is the best.
http://www.capgeek.com/predators

Even MSM uses it.


Dang it Bob!!

garret9 is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:36 PM
  #624
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Capgeek is the best.
http://www.capgeek.com/predators

Even MSM uses it.


Dang it Bob!!

Bob E is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 11:39 PM
  #625
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,027
vCash: 500
Just filtered the UFA list by position.

If i was Ron Hainsey, there is no way i sign before reaching FA. He is one of the few fairly productive and valuable dmen under 36 yrs of age in this year's UFA crop.

I hadn't studied that list until now. Smid is the only other guy that interests me as a Jets fan. Slim pick'ins.

Bob E is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.