HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

PPM Part VIII: Sponsor Offers are in for Hockey!

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 11:40 PM
canucks357

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tescosamoa View Post
Well first season football , worst case 4th... Sitting in 3rd. III.12 is the league. 2 points up on 4th... but do not mind finishing 4th. Dressing the reserves for the remainder of the season and playing on normal to high and aggression. Then I am looking forward to my first playoffs.

In hockey. I am holding on to 2nd place. Goal is to finish top 4. So well on the way.
There are no playoffs in soccer, unless you're referring to the League Cup... I suppose that is the soccer playoffs . In which case, I won it last year so though I'll be running two weeks of camps so likely won't happen this year

Old
02-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5984 View Post
I asked in the I.1 forums, but figured I'd ask here as well. What day do the season standing bonuses get paid? I have a few higher end players that I'm going to sell, they've been passed, or very close to being passed on the depth chart and I think the sudden influx of cash will help get a good value for them.

Regarding the SA post above. Since that post I trimmed my cost on SDs by a good pit, I rotate them in and out as their contracts get too big- and I've let them get to around 30k each or so before I'll replace them. I've had pretty good pulls this year- I'd say better than last (Only had 2 kids make the team last year, and 4 this year). I'd chalk a lot of that up to the random factor.
I've thought more about it and am going to give an SD rotation a go. I'll look for SD's on the market with ~70 in YT and <30 in PT, these should have 30-50k contracts and will get up to 100 YT throughout the length of a 112 day contract. The ~11M in savings is likely worth a few OR points off my SA pulls.

Gave the prospect market a shot with a shotgun approach and am quite satisfied with the results so far:

UW, 15, 6/6, EQ: 76.81%, OR: 257 P: 20k - Unscouted. Q's likely a bit higher if AQ is any indication.

C, 15, 6/6, EQ: 79.44%, OR: 297 P: 750k - Unscouted. Q's likely a bit higher if AQ is any indication.

C/RW, 15, 6/6, EQ: 82.21%, OR: 252 P: 336k - Unscouted. Q's in line with AQ.

C, 15, 6/6, EQ 89.45%, OR: 247, P: 700k - Q's posted in chat, hopefully accurate.

RD, 16, 6/6, EQ: 77.39%, OR: 359, P: 800k - Unscouted. Q's in line with AQ.

They're low on the OR side, but since they are only 15 it shouldn't have a massive effect on their future potential. 250 @ 15 is a lot better than 350 @ 16. With my level of training it's probably better than 400 @ 16 as well.

I made a thorough search and listed players of interest in a spreadsheet that calculated their EQ's. I listed about 20 players of interest whose prices still were low at the time of the search. Then I set alarms for their deadlines and checked out if the price still was reasonable. Some players went for 20M+, but some stayed cheap.

The only issue is that I already had plenty of good FW prospects, but lacking on D, and I only landed 1 D so far and he's the worst of the bunch.

Last edited by Blue Blooded: 02-22-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 03:55 PM
doug5984

Send a message via AIM to doug5984
I think I'm going to slightly change my focus of PPM (mainly soccer- hockey eventually, but my team isn't ready for that yet) to keep the game fresh for me. I know that the only way I am catching the top teams is have them quit. The money gap is something that I'll never be able to overcome, even though my facilities are not that far behind.

Over the long term, on the current course I could see my team competing for a top 10 spot but without teams quitting, I don't see how I could catch them and make runs for the # 1 spot with any type of consistency. I'm ok with that, they started first, made good moves and decisions and they're not competing with teams like me- they are competing with the top teams around the world.

However, something I enjoy and I think my focus is going to be, keep my team in Div I, which shouldn't be too much of a problem, I may flirt with relegation every now and then but as long as I pay attention to my lineups and tactics and don't make dumb roster moves I should be able to avoid it long term. What I would like to do though is start trying to develop players for National teams (U17, U20, & 20+) across the world. The national teams have always interested me in games like PPM, and Hattrick. I think through all the years of PPM & Hattrick I've had exactly 1 player make a Nat Squad. Now that my team is one of the better teams in the world (compared to the whole) I think I could pick young guys from around the world, develop them with my facilities and expertise () - and this would be fun for me. It's something I know I can do in soccer, I have the facilities and the cash- and if that is my primary focus (as well as simply stay in I) I think I can manage that. My starting lineup probably won't change in the short-term, and I will still make the necessary moves, purchases, etc. to stay competitive where I'm at here.

The reason for the switch is simply I've found the game (My hockey team more so) stagnating. Very little roster turnover, and basically just log in for pulls and lineups while buying my time to build facilities. I noticed on my hockey team I hadn't had a new player in over a season and a half. My lineup has remained almost exactly the same during that time. I need something to freshen it up, some goal that is achievable. Something that requires a little extra work, market research, planning, and a little luck. Those are things (outside of luck) that I can control.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:48 PM
canucks357

I got the goals I needed in the final game today (against an inactive) which set me up well to finish 2nd. Just needed the 2nd place team to tie or lose. He said he was fielding his B-squad to save energy for the CWC final. The bugger won 1-0; looks like I'm finishing the year in 3rd.

Can't really complain about that. Part of me feels disappointed after being so close to getting 2nd, but 3rd is a good finish for a league dominated by 2 teams.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:36 PM
tescosamoa

rather proud... III.12 3rd place... started on game 7 in 21st place. that 14m will be put all on stands
hockey side... the injury gods... have decided to make sure I am humble

Last edited by tescosamoa: 02-24-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 10:55 AM
tujague

Been a while, so here's an update In hockey, I've finally dropped to 3rd place. It was only a matter of time. The top two teams are +20-30 OTS. Mine is currently an 87, but that's because I used my older goalie to keep the score respectable against the now second place Fighting Tie Domis.

Surprisingly, I've scored more goals this season than I gave up all of last.

And I ended up spending all of my money on finishing another mini Triple for sponsors this season. I'll end up with 16,600 seats! Only one more Triple to build and one more mini Triple to complete. I'll be happy if players sales get me enough to do either one next season. But I don't really have the horses left to get over 80M. So that last Triple might have to wait. Or I could take out a loan. I haven't had one of them in a while.

I checked out Leggmann's team to see how his young players are looking. He's got a 17yo with 948 OR His top 16yo is relatively weak with only 652 OR. My best are 740 and 566. They're pretty good, but I think I'll definitely have to do another rebuild when these guys are 19-21.

That's the first time I've looked at I.1 in a long while. Leggmann has some players approaching 1900 OR. That's crazy. I wonder is any are making 100k yet And Obryantj is in 7th place! Congrats. His top players are under 1300 OR. 600 behind Leggmann's?!? Ouch. I remember when I started and he was only 2-250 better than my guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
Jumped into 5th place today, a win on sunday coupled with FC Corona winning on Wednesday will earn me a ChL spot.
You're welcome

In soccer, I was battling for I think 4th place most of the season, but pretty much tanked the last month or so. I was sort of half-assing it for a while. I was just sprinkling some kids into the lineup and hoping to remain competitive. But once I realized I was in the CWC, I went full retard. I ended up in 7th place. Only two points out of 5th. Maybe I should I pushed a bit harder...? Nah. redcard got into an IC, so all's well.

Stadium will be complete tomorrow night. I guess I'll build RF15 next, but there's nothing left after that. Maybe MC12 and some Maintenance upgrades? I guess I just start buying players after that. What do you do with all of your money, Obj?

Quote:
The reason for the switch is simply I've found the game (My hockey team more so) stagnating. Very little roster turnover, and basically just log in for pulls and lineups while buying my time to build facilities. I noticed on my hockey team I hadn't had a new player in over a season and a half. My lineup has remained almost exactly the same during that time. I need something to freshen it up, some goal that is achievable. Something that requires a little extra work, market research, planning, and a little luck. Those are things (outside of luck) that I can control.
This is the kind of thinking that lead to my rebuild

It'll be tough to land some NT caliber players. That little NT badge adds a lot. Except for when Obryantj stole Matt Hernandez from me for a measly 12M When I was doing the rebuild (and this counts for HockeyArena, as well), people were willing to spend more if a player was on an NT.

Stop worrying about surviving in I.1 if it's not as fun for you. Find some young players to get excited about and let the chips fall where they may.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:06 AM
tujague

Oh my god. US I.1 is still full of *******. I only looked at the last month, but no one is even trying against the Force. Only a few teams played above Very Low and only one team has countered his Offensive tactics. He uses Offensive 90+% of the time and has for a very long time. Yet most people are playing Breaking Up. WTF?

I glanced at last month's schedule and there's only a few teams trying then as well. Smart People, with a team half as good as the Force, pulled off the 2-1 upset just by playing Defensive at home. And Obj did his best. High Headerz are the only other team that tried. Buncha *****, man.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:42 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
Stop worrying about surviving in I.1 if it's not as fun for you. Find some young players to get excited about and let the chips fall where they may.
That's what I'm doing. The catch is, once I started selling off my older guys and not giving a hoot I started winning games I should win and now am within striking distance of 8th. Had I won the many 1-0 losses where I dominated I would have been in 5th or 6th with a cushion to lose some games down the stretch.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:59 PM
redcard

Quote:
You're welcome
Thanks! I didn't have a chance at 5th until you started playing your young guys, I had spent most of the season just trying to get ahead of Fakeballers.

Quote:
redcard got into an IC, so all's well.
Maybe, Wednesday's ChL final will determine that.

Quote:
Stadium will be complete tomorrow night. I guess I'll build RF15 next, but there's nothing left after that. Maybe MC12 and some Maintenance upgrades? I guess I just start buying players after that. What do you do with all of your money, Obj?
I'm trying to figure out my money situation for next season as well. My stadium will be at 40,200 and TF-15 will be done right at the start. But RF and SA are at 13, and HRE at 12. I'd like to get SA up to 15 as soon as possible, especially since the youth teams are starting, and should be able to start SA14 by day 3 of next season (maybe a week sooner if I put a player up) meaning I can get SA15 started before the end of the season. But I'm trying to prioritize my other goals. My stadium is 3 maxed triples, 2 large standups, and 3 medium standups. I'd like to get that to 3 maxed triples and 5 triples at 4k seats as soon as possible so that I can have 8 vip lounges. Based on my current vip donations (which will certainly go up next season) this would add a minimum of 17 mil in revenue per season, plus 9800 seats, which would be a 20+ mil per season in added revenue. I also want HRE 13 done by the end of next season which means I'd have to start it by day 19 which I'll likely give priority to over the stadium.

Based on my current sponsors and expenses, I won't have even close to enough money to complete all these. Jumping from 10th to 5th + my OR boost + 16k more seats should help the sponsor offers for this season, but even still won't be what I need. If FC Corona wins on Wednesday though, that'll give me a much better shot at reaching my goals as sponsor offers will go up and I'll have at least 3 additional home games.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Blue Blooded

Since it seems like I am willing to do almost anything to avoid working on my thesis, I decided to buy a pro pack and do some analysis on player training. These are my findings:

1. Until 3/6, CL has NO bearing on player training.

From age 16-20 there was never more than a 1.3% difference between any of the two. The exception was age 21, but further analysis put that down to player energy or an unknown factor, more on the latter later.

2. The training rate seems to drop 2%-2.5% per year. The drop was bigger from 16 to 17, slightly above 3%.

3. The relationship between attribute quality and player training is linear.

4. There seems to be some sort of "unknown"-factor at play. Some players trained at a significantly lower adjusted rate, even though all known factors would suggest that they should train at the same rate. At least in the beginning of the season when their energy is the same.

There was only a suggestion of this factor at age 21+.

Unfortunately I couldn't get a good estimate of the effect of the 4/6 to 3/6 drop, due to the difference in workload between players of the same age that had/had not dropped. A very rough estimate would be something around 17%.

The sample used was the training of 36 players aged 16-23 during season 13 (2013-12-24 to now).

Old
02-25-2013, 04:30 PM
doug5984

Of course I say I am going for young players, and I end up buying this guy.

Spent a good chunk of $$$, but his qualities are very good- and is instantly my best player- at my weakest position. His 4/6 is a little worries-some, but even if he drops to 3/6 this year he'll still be my best player- and a huge upgrade at the position.

As far as being able to afford a NT guy, my hope is to pick off young guys from smaller countries for cheap- if they can make the U17 then I'm golden- if not sell them for a small profit. That's the only way I'd be able to pull it off. I picked up a few already, made a dumb bid on one guy, I don't know what i was thinking except it was the end of a long long long work day.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
That's the first time I've looked at I.1 in a long while. Leggmann has some players approaching 1900 OR. That's crazy. I wonder is any are making 100k yet And Obryantj is in 7th place! Congrats. His top players are under 1300 OR. 600 behind Leggmann's?!? Ouch. I remember when I started and he was only 2-250 better than my guys.
In my mind, there's a number of pre-requisites needed to catch Leggman. TF-15, HR-15, and a max arena are definitely on the list. Not only are the on the list, but they're need for a few seasons before the gap can stop getting bigger. Until I have those, I'll be concentrating on those and sprinkling in a few players to keep myself in the playoffs.

Quote:
I paid off the loan I took at the beginning on the season to max out my stadium capacity. Lately I've bought a couple of players (Hudson Young and Noel Holm) and started MnC-12. RF-15, MdC-12 and some stadium accessories are on the short list of things to spend money on, but I may hold out to see if I can land another impact player this week.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:13 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Since it seems like I am willing to do almost anything to avoid working on my thesis, I decided to buy a pro pack and do some analysis on player training.
You too eh!?!?! It took 5 months, 19 days and 46 minutes for my supervisor to get my thesis back to me. I'm awaiting a defence date now. In PPM-related news you should check out the PPM Mag article I wrote on this topic. Basically found C/L a secondary influence on training with age as the primary factor. In fact, I believe I can tell a player's fractional C/L based on training rates - something you refer to as an "unknown-factor".

Old
02-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks357 View Post
You too eh!?!?! It took 5 months, 19 days and 46 minutes for my supervisor to get my thesis back to me. I'm awaiting a defence date now. In PPM-related news you should check out the PPM Mag article I wrote on this topic. Basically found C/L a secondary influence on training with age as the primary factor. In fact, I believe I can tell a player's fractional C/L based on training rates - something you refer to as an "unknown-factor".
Interesting. That would suggest that if a player seems to train worse for his age/CL than expected, his CL is more likely to drop the next season.

This would also give me greater incentive to move some veterans before the POs since they seem likely to drop to 3/6 next season.

How does the player market usually fluctuate? Do players have the most value right before the POs or should you sell a few weeks before they start?

Old
02-25-2013, 07:49 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Interesting. That would suggest that if a player seems to train worse for his age/CL than expected, his CL is more likely to drop the next season.

This would also give me greater incentive to move some veterans before the POs since they seem likely to drop to 3/6 next season.

How does the player market usually fluctuate? Do players have the most value right before the POs or should you sell a few weeks before they start?
Generally you get more return when bonuses are paid out. That being said, I just sold a gem RD in soccer for 100k and spend 1M to get him when he was 15. Absolute gem of a player, Qs and all the market just wasn't on my side.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:56 PM
tujague

Quote:
That's what I'm doing. The catch is, once I started selling off my older guys and not giving a hoot I started winning games I should win and now am within striking distance of 8th. Had I won the many 1-0 losses where I dominated I would have been in 5th or 6th with a cushion to lose some games down the stretch.
The best of both worlds. Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
Thanks! I didn't have a chance at 5th until you started playing your young guys, I had spent most of the season just trying to get ahead of Fakeballers.

Maybe, Wednesday's ChL final will determine that.
He better win. i would hate to think my nosedive was wasted

Quote:
Of course I say I am going for young players, and I end up buying this guy.

Spent a good chunk of $$$, but his qualities are very good- and is instantly my best player- at my weakest position. His 4/6 is a little worries-some, but even if he drops to 3/6 this year he'll still be my best player- and a huge upgrade at the position.
That was pretty much my thinking with the last guy I bought. He wasn't a top of the line player by any means, but he's much better than anything else I had at his position. Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and hope things work out

How high are you going on the US NT dman? I imagine we'll both be outbid in the end, but I won't even try until you're out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obryantj View Post
In my mind, there's a number of pre-requisites needed to catch Leggman. TF-15, HR-15, and a max arena are definitely on the list. Not only are the on the list, but they're need for a few seasons before the gap can stop getting bigger. Until I have those, I'll be concentrating on those and sprinkling in a few players to keep myself in the playoffs.
Yeah. That's why I was fine with doing a rebuild. It seemed like it would be more entertaining than just being a crappy I.1 team. My stadium is coming along at a good pace, but TF is only level 14 and HR is at 13. That's sorta been the plan all along, but I'd still like to get one of the big ones under construction sooner rather than later. Hopefully my sponsors step up next season.

Nice pick ups in soccer. Very nice forward. 1,000 OR at 17yo is sick. My top 17yo has 876

Old
02-26-2013, 08:18 AM
doug5984

Quote:

How high are you going on the US NT dman? I imagine we'll both be outbid in the end, but I won't even try until you're out of it.
After buying that SD the highest I could go would be in the 60 range. I see no chance he goes anywhere near that low.... just checked, I'm already out of it

Old
02-26-2013, 12:29 PM
canucks357

Quote:
After buying that SD the highest I could go would be in the 60 range. I see no chance he goes anywhere near that low.... just checked, I'm already out of it
Too rich for my blood. Was hoping to get more out of the prospects I sold on Monday. Spend 1M on a 15 yo 6/6 guy trained him to 17 and he sold for 100k. How does that work? All Qs over 75. Some days, the market, she's a cruel cruel hoe-wah.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Too rich for my blood. Was hoping to get more out of the prospects I sold on Monday. Spend 1M on a 15 yo 6/6 guy trained him to 17 and he sold for 100k. How does that work? All Qs over 75. Some days, the market, she's a cruel cruel hoe-wah.
What was his OR? I would've gladly paid more than that if it was in hockey.

The market IS weird though. I was selling both of my 100 YT SDs, but only one actually got sold. I immediately the other one on the market again and the current bid for him is at 1M over 16h before the deadline. It's all luck I guess.

Last edited by Blue Blooded: 02-26-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 02:00 PM
canucks357

Quote:
What was his OR? I would've gladly paid more than that if it was in hockey.
550 OR... it was in soccer.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:07 PM
tescosamoa

Quick question.

League regrouping. I was reading in the guide that it happens every year for the 2 lowest leagues.

So does that mean for USA III and IV are reorganized every year ?

Old
02-26-2013, 11:05 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Quick question.

League regrouping. I was reading in the guide that it happens every year for the 2 lowest leagues.

Every year? I think they do it every year but not for every country.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:18 AM
tujague

Soccer stadium is finally maxed out

I sold four starters this week. Well, I'm assuming Denno will be sold today. I had to do it to force myself to make the switch to the younger guys. Hopefully it doesn't hurt me too bad in the short term. I'm in desperate need of a great CM and I have a lot of money if anyone has one I want the usual great CL, over 1000 OR, younger than 21 maybe. Universal preferred, but my other CM is U, so I guess it doesn't really matter. And I won't even be my usual cheap self

Quote:
I think I'm bowing out. NT manager willmott says he has Pelletier as 5/6 at 17 years old. No telling what he was at 16yo. So eff that guy. If he had been honest, I might have bid anyway.

Quote:
Quick question.

Canucks is right. They do it every year, but only in countries who are really struggling. And they have always announced which countries that would be. Usually towards he end of the season.

Last edited by tujague: 02-27-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old
02-27-2013, 08:41 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Soccer stadium is finally maxed out
Congrats! I'm going to pop my final to 4k sections to 10k sections mid-season just in time for sponsor offers. This way I don't lose 8k capacity while playing the round robin of the ChL.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Blue Blooded

Do or die game today, playing #16 while laying in 17th. I won it convincingly 7-3, but the timing of the goals ensured that the players exerted themselves to the maximum within the defined tactical parameters I had set. So instead of N-N-VL/4-4-4, it went N-H-H/4-4-3. Not entirely happy about that.

Closed Thread