HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton E600 Helmet

Old
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Easton E600 Helmet

Here's my new E600:

In game, LOVE the weight, it's really light. Fairly comfortable, but what felt like it was tight off the ice felt loose on the ice. Had to snap it shorter.

Gotta get a new cage though. This one just doesn't fit, it's too small, and it juts way out of the helmet.

Loved my 9500, thinking about getting a CCM 580 and see what the hype is all about. Or maybe a matching Easton cage?

Thoughts?

Last edited by Jarick: 02-26-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:39 PM
LarryO

I got an Easton E700 and put a Bauer Re-AKT cage on it. It's the lightest combination you can get. I put a small cage on a small helmet and the fit is perfect. I noticed you attached the plastic side clips low on the helmet. Did you try them in the upper positon? The cage wouldn't jut out as far.

Last edited by LarryO: 02-25-2013 at 03:57 PM.
LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:41 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Get the 480/580. Best looking for sure and it should fit.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:27 PM
T2098
Rookie User

I second the Re-Akt combo. It's what I have on my E600 and I really like it. I have a Medium E600 and a Medium Re-Akt cage.

It took a tiny bit of bending of the cage to get it to fit right, but it works well now.

Previously I had a Bauer/Itech RBE VIII on it, and it fit rather poorly. The plastic clips that attached it to the screws on the top of the helmet were too far apart. I could get them to screw in, but *barely*, and the plastic was slightly bent. It only took a couple of weeks of opening/closing the cage to fatigue and break the plastic clips.

T2098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Clardz

I'll throw in a vote for the Re-akt cage, I've used a 480 and an itech fishbowl previously and they both pale in comparison. The re-akt is very light as mentioned, and it also has great visibility. The bars seem to disappear in-game.

Clardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I use the E700 helmet plus re-akt cage combo as well. Feels like I'm not wearing anything at all.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:23 PM
AIREAYE

The J clip placement is way too low on these, I've had a few problems fitting people for the cages because they jut out too much.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
I got an Easton E700 and put a Bauer Re-AKT cage on it. It's the lightest combination you can get. I put a small cage on a small helmet and the fit is perfect. I noticed you attached the plastic side clips low on the helmet. Did you try them in the upper positon? The cage wouldn't jut out as far.
Well there's two problems with that,

First, the top curve of the 9500 is too narrow and runs into the helmet, so I'd have to stretch it out and then bend the sides back in, which is harder than just squeezing or pulling the cage to fit the clips.

Second, the cage literally went down to the middle of my chin, meaning the cup was in front of my mouth, so it's just the wrong size.

But it sounds like if I went to a larger size, maybe a Bauer would fit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The J clip placement is way too low on these, I've had a few problems fitting people for the cages because they jut out too much.
It is awkward looking for sure. And the snaps just plain won't work with most cages.

I ended up grabbing an E700 cage for it. The curve on top is shaped to match the helmet so that fits properly now. Funny though I still had to stretch the cage straps all the way to snap to the back. They need to move those up in the future.

Side by side with the FM580, the E700 has a similar outside profile, just a bit different wire layout. It's not as easy to see out as the True Vision but didn't seem so bad. If it sucks I can exchange it.

Also got a large cage. The medium cage just fit for me but I wanted to see how I liked a larger cage. I did run a large cage on my old Intake helmet which seemed to have a similarly awkward screw layout.

Thought the gunmetal black looked a little better than the bright matte steel of the E500. We'll see.

Before:

After:

Old
02-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Greasy Sliders

While on the topic of Easton helmets, what's the deal with this new Easton-Riddel helmet called the R800? Anyone heard anything on the specifics?

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No idea, but the E600 is impossible to find, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I think I'm actually going to exchange the E700 cage. I tried shooting some pucks in my basement and the black bars are annoying. Looked okay in a colorful store, not so much against a light floor and white shooting sheet.

Might see about the titanium Bauer.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:52 PM
AIREAYE

Easton once again partnered with a fellow intracompany business unit to design a completely new helmet. It essentially takes technology from Riddell's 360 football helmet, namely a hexagonal liner and an inflatable section of padding in the back. This will retail for around $300.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Not 100% on the Bauer Reakt. I tried a bunch of different cages and didn't love any of them in the store. I think though I might just be getting too picky and once I hit the ice it will be different. Also hoped the Reakt would be lighter but going from a medium 9500 that was already pretty light to begin with.

Er, I should talk about the cage installation.

The large Reakt, at least compared to my medium 9500, fits the curve of the Easton helmet better up top. Meaning it only barely rests against the plastic rather than slamming against it. I did have to pull the sides apart slightly to clear the side screws. Because it fit better, and the size of the cage, and because the Reakt is more of a "bubble" look vs a straight look, I put the J-clips up higher so it doesn't jut out as much.

Where the medium 9500 stopped mid-chin when the helmet was at the right position (1" above the eyebrows per the manual), the large Reakt stops just at the bottom of the chin. It is definitely a bit shorter than the E700 and probably just about every other cage out there. The large E700 if the helmet was sagging a bit forward could knock into the chest. Doesn't happen with the Reakt.

Also, the Reakt has matte finish titanium which is different than the chrome of the 9500. Titanium is a little darker metal (I'm shopping for wedding bands now, it's more of a neutral gray compared to others). It does make the bars look a bit thicker than the 9500 but we'll see if it's a difference on the ice. FWIW I never had a "glare" issue with the 9500.

The new chin cup also seems lighter and doesn't slide up and down as easily (which is good).

Still not the best looking cage, but seems to be a little better than the 9500?

You can see they changed the outside frame a bit and put the chin straps up higher (they now work with the Easton helmet with room to spare). The bottom extends further although I'm not sure if that's a medium vs large thing. All the sight bars seem to be the same.

Reakt on the left.

On the helmet, the shiny one is the 9500, dark one is the Reakt.

Last edited by Jarick: 03-03-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old
03-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Played with it last night and once I hit the ice I barely noticed it. Weight is a little better than the 9500 and vision is a little more distracting with the darker bars.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:05 PM
macgyverthatshiz

I was checking those out....but I just can't leave my trusted 4500's. Probably never will, but it's nice to see new innovative products being made. Anyone else break out a box cutter as soon as you get a new 4500? Or am I the only one who cuts the padding all to hell and back for a perfect fit?

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:42 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyverthatshiz View Post
I was checking those out....but I just can't leave my trusted 4500's. Probably never will, but it's nice to see new innovative products being made. Anyone else break out a box cutter as soon as you get a new 4500? Or am I the only one who cuts the padding all to hell and back for a perfect fit?
Haha, no retail helmet off the shelf at any setting fits my head. So I half-gut the deepest helmet, the 5100. Added Poron and switched around some VN...I should post a picture sometime.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I sliced about 1/2" off either side of my 4k, still doesn't fit right. AIR, where do you get that material to add? Maybe some soft foam/gel padding in places would help the helmet stay more snug. Would love to see the pics!

Old
03-06-2013, 03:06 PM
AIREAYE

A got a pack of Poron in different thicknesses/densities from my internship work. Rogers Corp. the company that makes it, distributes samples at various tradeshows/exhibits/sales pitches etc. Maybe you could look up the various uses of Poron and see if you have connections in any of those industries.