HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Gryba stay?

Old
02-24-2013, 03:12 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
It's really surprising to me how much better he's looked in the NHL then Boro did when he was here. I guess it's safe to say that Gryba has passed Boro on the depth chart.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:22 PM
balaclava brian

I like what Phillips brings to the team in regards to leadership and mentorship, but I won't be surprised to see this guy pull regular 7th defenceman duty next year. I think next year will be his last. I would like to see him retire a career senator and unless someone throws a bit of cash at him next offseason to be a 6th d-man, I think it will happen.

He's had a few good games this season, but his ability is deteriorating. Should the team make the playoffs I hope he can bring it one last time because I think it's likely this is his last go around playing regular minutes.

balaclava brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:42 PM
newerabegins

all these injuries have been great in the long run IMO. gryba, wiercioch and benoit getting all this NHL experience is great and will soften the relative blow when phillips and gonchar leave.

newerabegins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:18 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Gryba was phenomenal yet again. What surprised me the most about his game so far is his terrific breakout pass. He feathers it across the ice tape-to-tape. He does have the occasional bobbles but man is he composed. Looks like a seasoned veteran and forms a spectacular shutdown pairing with Methot!

Gryba is playing like a guy who is a bonafide top 4. 23 minutes of ice-time! He also adds that physical dimension which we need. I don't think we need to go out looking for a shutdown defender anymore.

Might as well rename this to "Gryba Appreciation Thread."

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:27 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Gryba was phenomenal yet again. What surprised me the most about his game so far is his terrific breakout pass. He feathers it across the ice tape-to-tape. He does have the occasional bobbles but man is he composed. Looks like a seasoned veteran and forms a spectacular shutdown pairing with Methot!

Gryba is playing like a guy who is a bonafide top 4. 23 minutes of ice-time! He also adds that physical dimension which we need. I don't think we need to go out looking for a shutdown defender anymore.

Yep, not sure why i have read that he had a down game. Just so steady and his skill in the transition game is a complete surprise.

V for Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Did Grybs and Cowen get any playing time together in Bingo before Cowen went down? I like the look of

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gryba

Thats a legit shutdown pairing imo.

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:33 PM
IranCondraAffair

He wasn't great against Montreal, IMO

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:36 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
yeah, especially the first period. he did pick it up a bit for the rest of the game, but not as good as his first couple games.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyskie View Post
Did Grybs and Cowen get any playing time together in Bingo before Cowen went down? I like the look of

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gryba

Thats a legit shutdown pairing imo.
I'd be tempted with Cowen - Karlsson, Methot - Gryba.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:12 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:

whoa dude, seriously? He was awful tonight. His breakout pass you speak of was truly awful. Lost foot races, didn't manage the puck well at all. Worst defenseman on the ice for sure.

He was good against Toronto, definitely not against Montreal. He struggles against speedy teams it seems.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
The whole team kind of sucked tonight, the Habs were all over everybody (except Condra)

It's a concern but I don't think he's going to be sent down just because of one game

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:19 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
The whole team kind of sucked tonight, the Habs were all over everybody (except Condra)

It's a concern but I don't think he's going to be sent down just because of one game
sure, agreed, but RKL said he was ''phenomenal'' which is way way way way way way... way way way off

Old
02-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Nobody was "phenomenal" tonight outside of Bishop

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:23 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Nobody was "phenomenal" tonight outside of Bishop
Gryba was probably the worst player out there. Him and Daug at even strength

Old
02-25-2013, 11:27 PM
IranCondraAffair

I agree that his foot speed will be a problem at the NHL level. His conditioning is fine, his hitting is good, his stick work is good, and his passing and shot are both much better than expected.

Having said that I don't see him being able to be a regular NHLer without work on his positional game. His foot speed/positioning will likely keep him from ever being a true top-4 guy, but guys like Andy Sutton have made careers out of less.

He's also being overexposed right now. I'd like to see him playing no more than 16-18 minutes ideally, but with the injuries, I know that's not practical. Playing 4 less minutes a night is probably 1-2 less mistakes and would really help.

The Bingo pairing of Wier/Gryba would be an incredible 5-6 pairing at the NHL level in 1-2 years and I could definitely see them playing 17-19 solid minutes a night and maybe even more (If that makes them a "top-4" pairing, so be it). They mask one another's flaws well. Wier has a limp shot and poor physicality but NHL quality skating, passing, position and vision. Gryba meanwhile has good fundamentals, physicality/hitting, an NHL quality shot, and a high compete level.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:31 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
whoa dude, seriously? He was awful tonight. His breakout pass you speak of was truly awful. Lost foot races, didn't manage the puck well at all. Worst defenseman on the ice for sure.

He was good against Toronto, definitely not against Montreal. He struggles against speedy teams it seems.
LOL, to each their own opinion but I thought Gryba was very, very solid. Worse defense man on the ice? Paul MacLean was stupid to entrust him with 23 minutes, how could he not see it.

When I say phenomenal, I mean for the expected role he is supposed to play and the role he does play.

You guys are talking like he is being blown by every game. He has been positionally sound. Will he keep this up? Don't know bout you youtes but I'm loving what I'm seeing.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
As stated above he had a very tough first period but got better as the game went on... Probably his worst game since he has been up but I didnt have a problem with it. He is 5-6 games into his NHL carrer and in his worst game he played 22-23 mins. A few brainfarts and poor plays but none ended up in our net and the coaches threw him back out there. Best way to learn.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:36 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
LOL, to each their own opinion but I thought Gryba was very, very solid. Worse defense man on the ice? Paul MacLean was stupid to entrust him with 23 minutes, how could he not see it.

When I say phenomenal, I mean for the expected role he is supposed to play and the role he does play.

You guys are talking like he is being blown by every game. He has been positionally sound. Will he keep this up? Don't know bout you youtes but I'm loving what I'm seeing.
This was his first bad game. He was really overwhelmed. His positioning does need work, sometimes gets caught too high in the neutral zone or even too much to the left.

He could not make a pass tonight. I ed so many times

Old
02-25-2013, 11:38 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

He made minor mistakes but nothing costly, not unknown for any defender... let alone one who is 9th in our depth charts and playing as he is.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:54 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Once again we have another player that I used to pump up only to have so many here tell me he would never amount to anything other than a career AHLer or 7th d at best. Size matters but only when it is accompanied with skill.

I think both Wiercioch & Gryba will be playing for Ottawa next season & possibly paired together as a third pairing since Maclean likes to pair an offensive & defensive defenceman together. Gryba is also a right shot which is something Ottawa lacks. Unless Murray picks up a top 4 defenceman Ceci could have a good shot at making the team as well next season. He is also a right shot & could step into Gonchar's spot.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - ??? (Ceci) - Murray could sign a UFA or make a trade for a right shot top 4 defenceman
Wiercioch - Gryba
Phillips - Boroweicki - either of these two could find themselves playing with Cowen until Ceci is NHL ready which IMO is quite likely seeing how Phillips has one more yr left on his contract.

Last edited by aragorn: 02-26-2013 at 06:26 PM.
aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
Nobody was great in the Montreal game IMO, the Canadiens just played better all over the ice.

Gryba has been very good for Ottawa and one off night doesn't suddenly change that.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 02-26-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Sens Mile

I've loved the Methot-Gryba combination. It is the shut-down line that we have needed for awhile now. Our D-Core next year may look like:

Karlsson-?
Cowen-Phillips
Methot-Gryba
Wiercoich

I wonder if Murray would consider adding a high caliber D to be Karlsson's partner to create a steallar D-Core next year. Why not keep Methot with Gryba?

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Once again we have another player that I used to pump up only to have so many here tell me he would never amount to anything other than a career AHLer or 7th d at best. Size matters but only when it is accompanied with skill.

I think both Wiercioch & Gryba will be playing for Ottawa next season & possibly paired together as a third pairing since Maclean likes to pair an offensive & defensive defenceman together. Gryba is also a right shot which is something Ottawa lacks. Unless Murray picks up a top 4 defenceman Ceci could have a good shot at making the team as well next season. He is also a right shot & could step into Gonchar's spot.
Seemed many fans felt if Tim Murray liked Boro any other Bingo defenceman was automatically discounted.

I agree both will start next season in Ottawa barring a trade.

I don't see Ceci quite the same way as you do, I think he will need a fair amount of time to adjust to the pro game and get his defensive game in order.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
I've loved the Methot-Gryba combination. It is the shut-down line that we have needed for awhile now. Our D-Core next year may look like:

Karlsson-?
Cowen-Phillips
Methot-Gryba
Wiercoich

I wonder if Murray would consider adding a high caliber D to be Karlsson's partner to create a steallar D-Core next year. Why not keep Methot with Gryba?
I would suggest not, it just isn't the biggest need.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:40 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

If you guys think Methot-Gryba is good, what till you see Methot with Cowen. Could be one of the best shutdown tandems in the league, with that being said, Cowen/Methot will be Karlsson's D partner.