HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Is Yakupov really the best player [highest potential ceiling] out of the 2012 draft?

Old
02-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Ewan McGregor*

vCash: 50
I'd take Galchenyuk over Yakupov

Ewan McGregor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
Based on 15 games? Seems extremely short-sighted.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
sansabri
RIP Radio Raheem.

vCash: 500
the injuries to Galchenyuk and Rielly were a blessing in disguise for the Habs and Leafs orgs.

if they had played full seasons, i highly doubt Yakupov would have been the no.1 consensus and thus giving the Oil brass a harder choice to make.

in the end, everyone got a great player and should be happy with how things turned out.

sansabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
Very short sighted. I hope you're right...but Galchenyuk hasn't been much better than Yakupov. His defensive play has been more impressive than his offense this year so far imo. Both players have alot of development ahead of them.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
Is this a joke ?
Laugh it up now. We'll see in a few years.

Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
AKL

Didn't think he'd be the best before the draft, and he hasn't changed my mind yet.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
the injuries to Galchenyuk and Rielly were a blessing in disguise for the Habs and Leafs orgs.

if they had played full seasons, i highly doubt Yakupov would have been the no.1 consensus and thus giving the Oil brass a harder choice to make.

in the end, everyone got a great player and should be happy with how things turned out.
Professional scouts aren't so dumb that they can't take injuries into account. Yakupov significantly outproduced Galchenyuk the previous year when both were healthy.

Galchenyuk could definitely end up better in the long run. I just don't get why people think he's somehow a better prospect than Yakupov simply because he got injured and is producing more over the first 15 games of an anticipated 15+ season career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Didn't think he'd be the best before the draft, and he hasn't changed my mind yet.
Wow! What did you know that a bunch of professional scouts didn't know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon
Here's 12 various ranking lists:

A Craig Button
B Bob Mackenzie (aggregate of ~10 NHL scouts)
C ISS
D MyNHLDraft
E Future Considerations
F NHL Central Scouting
G Redline Report
H Hockey Prospectus
I The Scouting Report
J The Hockey Writers
K The Hockey News
L McKeen’s Hockey

Yakupov
A 1
B 1
C 1
D 1
E 1
F 1 NA skater
G 1
H 1
I 1
J 1
K 1
L 1
Average: 1.0

Galchenyuk
A 4
B 6
C 14
D 3
E 2
F 4 NA Skater
G 6
H 3
I 3
J 6
K 7
L 2
Ave: 5.0

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:41 PM
SDig14

It's pretty common. When one player goes higher than everyone else, it's natural for people to claim others will be better in the future.

Why do people make the assumption the guy that's better than the rest right now won't improve going forward as well?

I quite like guys like Yak, Rielly, Galchenyuk, etc., and like everyone else on here truly have no idea how all of them turn out in 10 years, so why can't we all just enjoy the fact they are all very good?

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
It's pretty common. When one player goes higher than everyone else, it's natural for people to claim others will be better in the future.

Why do people make the assumption the guy that's better than the rest right now won't improve going forward as well?

I quite like guys like Yak, Rielly, Galchenyuk, etc., and like everyone else on here truly have no idea how all of them turn out in 10 years, so why can't we all just enjoy the fact they are all very good?
This is HFBoards that's why

Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:49 PM
sansabri
RIP Radio Raheem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Professional scouts aren't so dumb that they can't take injuries into account. Yakupov significantly outproduced Galchenyuk the previous year when both were healthy.

Galchenyuk could definitely end up better in the long run. I just don't get why people think he's somehow a better prospect than Yakupov simply because he got injured and is producing more over the first 15 games of an anticipated 15+ season career
first off, i wouldn't say he 'significantly outproduced' him. he had better numbers, yes. but you make it sound as if he had 50 pts. more than Galchenyuk.

secondly, it's not far fetched to think that someone can explode in their sophomore year. i don't want to use this as an excuse - but there is such a thing as players rising their stock / late bloomers.

anyway, i didn't say Galchenyuk was better. we won't know that for another 3-4 years. i'm just happy we got him. who cares what others think. you got a great player in Yak.

sansabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:53 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
I take Galchenyuk over him.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:01 PM
AKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post

Wow! What did you know that a bunch of professional scouts didn't know?
Apparently that you can't judge who's going to be better in the NHL by the fact that one of the guys was injured for a year.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:53 PM
NEWFowler
hi

He looks pretty bad in this game against the Hawks right now. I haven't seen much of him so I won't pass judgement. Just because I said that he will probably get the game winning goal, though.

EDIT: Yup. hahaha

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
He looks pretty bad in this game against the Hawks right now. I haven't seen much of him so I won't pass judgement. Just because I said that he will probably get the game winning goal, though.

EDIT: Yup. hahaha
LOL he heard you and thought he would snipe one

I agree though, he makes some questionable plays. But so have a ton of high octane 19 year old offensive players. I am not worried. His release on that shot was soooo fast too

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:01 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

I like Galchenyuk now and in the future more.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:03 PM
NEWFowler
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
LOL he heard you and thought he would snipe one

I agree though, he makes some questionable plays. But so have a ton of high octane 19 year old offensive players. I am not worried. His release on that shot was soooo fast too
Yeah, the shot and speed are definitely there. Sometimes he just needs to make the simple play, rather than trying to do too much.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Dempsey

People here change their minds so easily. Yakupov could get a hat trick next game and everyone's opinions would change.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
People here change their minds so easily. Yakupov could get a hat trick next game and everyone's opinions would change.
No kidding, I would love to see how theyd do investing in stocks

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:56 PM
sepHF
Patreeky

Yakupov had a tough game tonight, a few pretty bad giveaways. Also buried one on the PP with his world class shot.

His shot is insane for his age, I hope he can put the rest of his game together. He's 1 goal away from leading the team in goals, pretty impressive given his ice time and linemates as of late.

sepHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:00 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
I've watched a lot of Oilers games this year and I honestly don't feel like Yakupov will as good as he's touted to be. Also, his potential isn't as high as people claim. Before I get flammed to death, listen to me.

He reminds me of a poor man's Ovi who doesn't have the size. It's kind of like how Afinogenov was a bankrupt man's Pavel Bure. We all know how difficult it is to score goals these days. The way he played in the OHL won't translate well into the NHL. He does have an amazing nose for the net. Great speed and a great shot.

I look at his play away from the puck and it's not very impressive either. [Yes, he's only 19 and has PLENTY time to improve]. But I see him as a 30-35G 40-45A 70-75 pts guy MAX at the peak of his career.

People were saying that this guy is a future multiple times 50G+ and 50A+ type of talent but I don't see it. Not in this era of hockey.
6 goals 5 assists in 18 points playing on the 2nd line is not too bad a start to his NHL career. He's a rookie who's still adjusting to the NHL speed and learning the defensive side of the game. His compete level and work ethic is not a question. He'll be fine.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Suxnet

OP has the ability to see the future. Cool. But remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

Suxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
You do realize that Yakupov playing on the 2nd line with Gagner and Hemsky is a little better than the 3rd line with Eller/Gallagher and Prust (who's had so many missed easy goals).
You do realize Yakupov has been playing with Lennart Petrell and Chris Vande Velde lately, right? Do you even know who those two players are?

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:24 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ EarWax View Post
Oh look, another Oilers thread.
Oh look, it was started by someone other than an Oiler fan as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Edmonton fans were, and still are.

Using that excuse that like, 2 or 3 people said this before they ended up with the 1st overall.

He never looked to be a 50 goal scorer. Hell, even Stamkos didn't IIRC. The only guys who do are the Crosby, McDavid, etc. type of prospects, the ones that get hyped the hell out of them.
Link plz, I haven't seen a single Oiler fan that actually thinks Yakupov will turn out to be Stamkos.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:39 PM
HawkinMI

He was quite the enigma against the Hawks tonight, but such is being a rookie. No doubt his ceiling his high, just had some bad turnovers tonight and easily could've gotten himself hurt by ducking Carcillo's hit. Not worried, he'll be good. Just needs to make some tweaks to his game.

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:47 PM
YogiCanucks

I think Yaks is going to be the best Oiler in 5 years (just my own speculation) and easily the best player from the draft.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote