HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

HNIC shows new potential alignment with 16 teams in "east" groupings

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Jax1166

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Defender View Post
Phoenix!
KDevils....your plan is fine.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Jax1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Love this as a Bruins fan and STH. This is going to be fun!
Why?
You don't find it odd and wrong that the closest city to you (New York) you will never play?

Old
02-25-2013, 08:12 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ober View Post
TSN "Insiders" just confirmed that although details are sketchy right now...the top three in each Conference are in...and some kind of wildcard team for each Conference will be the fourth team (no idea how this would work at this time).

Sixteen teams ultimately make the playoffs with NO one game play-in as has been rumored.

First and Second rounds would be "within Conference" (and this seems to be the tricky/unknown part).

Time will tell!
The "wildcard" would be the play in (likely between 4th and 5th of each of the 8 team conferences). It may not be one game, but from a timing perspective, I dont think they have time to do even a short series (ie 2 out of 3). Maybe they could do home and home, and if the series is split, you go to sudden death OT to settle it.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
MountainHawk

Top 3 per conference, next best 4 will be the wildcards. I don't think it means more games. Preference given to staying in own conference, so I would imagine they would ship the seeds >4 out to other conferences. The only question is if you make the top seed play the crossover, or save them the travel and make it 1 v 3 and 2 v crossover. Maybe give the 1 seed the choice.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:16 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Why?
You don't find it odd and wrong that the closest city to you (New York) you will never play?
Rangers/Bruins has just never been a huge rivalry, mainly because they have been in different divisions.

You could try to create a rivalry between the two, but its not something they need to focus on. If Leafs and Habs could be split up for years, I dont think its an issue to split the Rangers and B's.

Plus, depending how the final two rounds work, they could play in the Cup Finals.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Top 3 per conference, next best 4 will be the wildcards. I don't think it means more games. Preference given to staying in own conference, so I would imagine they would ship the seeds >4 out to other conferences. The only question is if you make the top seed play the crossover, or save them the travel and make it 1 v 3 and 2 v crossover. Maybe give the 1 seed the choice.
I dont think it works if they just say the next best 4. You could end up with something like San Jose playing in the Atlantic Conference and Anaheim in the Northeast Conference. Crazy travel.

Whole point is to limit travel and promote conference rivals. 4 vs 5 in conference in a play in makes the most sense. Just a matter of the format of the play in.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:25 PM
MountainHawk

Sharks being Atlantic Conference Champs would be amusing. Admit it.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:28 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
[B]Imagine a team with 20 points less than a 5th place team and getting home ice advantage in the first round. That happens in the current structure.
I'm trying to figure when it happened, but I've looked back through the Seasons and can't find a single example of it. Show me that you're not just making up things.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Jax1166

Quote:
Rangers/Bruins has just never been a huge rivalry, mainly because they have been in different divisions.

You could try to create a rivalry between the two, but its not something they need to focus on. If Leafs and Habs could be split up for years, I dont think its an issue to split the Rangers and B's.

Plus, depending how the final two rounds work, they could play in the Cup Finals.
Dude, go back and read your history.
The Rangers and Bruins were the Yankees and Red Sox until the NHL foolishly removed them. The NHL is trying to improve ratings, NY and BOS SELL.
The NHL is the only sport dumb enough to not have them in the same division.

Quote:
It literally solves none of the problems that are causing the realignment.

Local networks want to limit games outside their time zone. Dont get why that part is being missed by so many people.
It solves all the problems.
Dallas is in the Central time zone.
Vancouver is in the Western time zone.

I don't understand nor see the need to re-invent the wheel just over precious TV start times. You people are making this an obsession.

Like no other sport has these issues and deals with it this foolishly. This is what happens in a national travel league...so deal with it. But don't make a system which to have perfect time starts you know have uneven conferences, uneven playoff seeding, and rivalries broken, JUST FOR PERFECT TV START TIMES.

I don't think TV START TIMES should be the NUMBER ONE PRIORITY.
IT CAN BE MITIGATED SHORT OF DOING A DUMB FOUR CONFERENCE SET UP!

Old
02-25-2013, 08:36 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
That was my understanding. This was the PAs counter to the NHL original plan.
We've been hearing for the past few weeks that the League (I assume a selection of owners) and the PA have been in communication trying to put together a realignment - scheduling package. So I assumed that this was a joint venture, but that both sides need to get the approval of their whole constituency. So in the League's case, going to a vote of all the owners. But hey, that was my assumption. On the flip side of what you're thinking, I've seen a few people here think that this now needs to pass a PA vote, they thinking that this was put together by the owners. Really, your guess is as good as mine as to where this proposal actually came from. Maybe someone in Detroit put it together and is offering it up to everyone.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:42 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
The Rangers and Bruins were the Yankees and Red Sox until the NHL foolishly removed them. The NHL is trying to improve ratings, NY and BOS SELL.

I don't understand nor see the need to re-invent the wheel just over precious TV start times. You people are making this an obsession.

Like no other sport has these issues and deals with it this foolishly. This is what happens in a national travel league...so deal with it. But don't make a system which to have perfect time starts you know have uneven conferences, uneven playoff seeding, and rivalries broken, JUST FOR PERFECT TV START TIMES.

The ultimate judges of what works best for the NHL are the ones with the millions at risk. Since the 4 conference setup seems to be the one thing they all agree on, I have to assume there is a very good reason for it.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:42 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:

Well start times are the top priority. Mainly because the TV networks pay money which the NHL uses to buy things. So yeah, their wishes are kinda important.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:48 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Why?
I know the point that you're trying to make, rather than how some others are just trying to sidestep it because it doesn't support their current preferences as to how the League should be. It's not that Boston and New York are huge rivals in the NHL. And it's not that they couldn't be either, because their particular alignment hasn't really presented them with a lot of opportunities for it to happen. But regardless, there is some degree of intensity in their games against each other, mostly because they are competing directly in the Conference Standings. This realignment proposal takes that away.

In fact, a better example would be Boston and Philadelphia, which do have a fairly intense rivalry going on, but again this alignment idea will basically shut down any real potential of intensity in games between teams outside of these mini-Conferences. I can't see how that is good for the League; further compartmentalizing fan interest into a smaller number of matchups.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
The "wildcard" would be the play in (likely between 4th and 5th of each of the 8 team conferences). It may not be one game, but from a timing perspective, I dont think they have time to do even a short series (ie 2 out of 3). Maybe they could do home and home, and if the series is split, you go to sudden death OT to settle it.
They said there would be no play in. That it would simply be top 3 in each conf/div and then there would an actual plan to seed the other 4, but said no play in.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:01 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
They said there would be no play in. That it would simply be top 3 in each conf/div and then there would an actual plan to seed the other 4, but said no play in.
Hey, Petes, do you have a link to that?

Old
02-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Ober

Quote:

"No play in"...16 teams make the playoffs...is what was said is in the current proposal this evening on TSN Insiders.

Top 3 teams in each Conference...with 4 more teams being slotted into the 4th position in each Conference via a "wildcard" scenario. No details were given/known.

Time will tell! Maybe it get massaged again and changes to something different.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Hey, Petes, do you have a link to that?
It was on the roundtable after the first period of the Leafs game tonight on TSN. Im pretty sure it was McKenzie who brought it up. We're the most bush league of sports and we're to good for a play in I guess....

Old
02-25-2013, 09:12 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ober View Post
"No play in"...16 teams make the playoffs...is what was said is in the current proposal this evening on TSN Insiders.

Top 3 teams in each Conference...with 4 more teams being slotted into the 4th position in each Conference via a "wildcard" scenario. No details were given/known.

Time will tell! Maybe it get massaged again and changes to something different.
Great news! Best news, if it ultimately proves to be true, best news I've heard on this whole realignment issue since hearing that the PA rejected the previous proposal.

Now the issue is: How to fit in those 4 wildcard teams. If it's a 3/5 scenario, then there obviously has to be a crossover. And with 4 Conferences, not Divisions, just how to you manage a crossover scenario?

Old
02-25-2013, 09:16 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
I haven't had a chance to scroll thru a ton of pages here---But I think last years is 10x better. Most of the point was to make these rivalries awesome with intra-divison playoffs. Now with the "wildcard" there is a 75% chance you'll have some random team from out of your division play in your divisions first two rounds....

Or am I off about how this is going to work?

Old
02-25-2013, 09:20 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
I haven't had a chance to scroll thru a ton of pages here---But I think last years is 10x better. Most of the point was to make these rivalries awesome with intra-divison playoffs. Now with the "wildcard" there is a 75% chance you'll have some random team from out of your division play in your divisions first two rounds....

There has to at minimum be 6 of 8 Divisional matchups League-wide. The maximum out of Division matchups, for any particular Division in any single Round, that can happen is 1, or it may be none.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Ober

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post

They said it was the Players/NHLPA who have a problem with 4 teams being guaranteed a spot regardless of being in a Conference with 7 or 8 teams?!

The "wildcard" is apparently a solution that is on the table as of right now...but there are no details...so it could change yet before being finalized.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Ober

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Great news! Best news, if it ultimately proves to be true, best news I've heard on this whole realignment issue since hearing that the PA rejected the previous proposal.

Now the issue is: How to fit in those 4 wildcard teams. If it's a 3/5 scenario, then there obviously has to be a crossover. And with 4 Conferences, not Divisions, just how to you manage a crossover scenario?
My best guess as to how this will be made to work to keep teams playing within their time zones (or at worst a maximum of 1 to the right or left) would be:

(1) Next best 4 teams are the "Wildcards"
(2) If your time zone is PTZ...you will play in PTZ or MTZ
If your time zone is MTZ...you will play in MTZ, PTZ or Central
If your time zone is Central...you will play in Central, MTZ or ETZ
If your time zone is ETZ...you will play in ETZ or Central

Why this may hypothetically work...
(a) the chances of 3 of 4 "wildcard teams" coming from the West and Central divisions is extremely remote
(b) the chances of 4 of 4 "wildcard teams" coming from the ETZ is extremely remote
(c) the chances of 3 of 4 "wildcard teams" coming from the ETZ is very possible...but this would mean only 1 (which one I don't know) has to go to play a Central time zone team

Old
02-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Djp

what now is being proposed:

W: SJ, ANA, LA, PHX, VAN, CGY, EDM
C: WPG, MIN, COL, DAL, STL, CHI, NASH
E: DET, BUF, TOR, MON, BOS, OTT, FL, TB
A: NYR, NYI, NJ, PHL, PIT, CBS, CAR, WAS

An alternate proposal:

W: SJ, ANA, LA, PHX, VAN, CGY, EDM
C: WPG, MIN, COL, DAL, STL, CHI, NASH
E: BUF, TOR, MON, OTT, BOS, NYI, NYR, NJ
A: DET, PHL, PIT, CBS, CAR, WAS, TB, FL

As for playoffs......

Long term goal would likely be 8 4 team divsions, divison winners get bye then the next 16 teams get in somehow (2nd and 3rd, top 4 per conference, some other). First round is a best of 5, second round is a best of 5. the following rounds would be best of 7.

there would be minimal impact on playoffs playing 2 extra games over the course of 5 series.

An intermediate playoff option:

Top 6 in with top 2 in each getting byes.

Alternate option:

If they go with this as being 2 conferences, 4 divsions what I propose would be something different...

In the eastern conference you have 4 divisions of 4 teams.
In the western conference its 2 divisions of 7 teams.

D1: BUF, TOR, MON, OTT D2: BOS, NYI, NYR, NJ
D3: DET, PHL, PIT, CBS D4: CAR, WAS, TB, FL
alternate:
D1: BUF, TOR, DET, CBS D2: BOS, MON, OTT, NYR
D3: , PHL, PIT, NJ, NYI D4: CAR, WAS, TB, FL

In the East the playoffs it would be same as above 4 divison winners get in, the next 8 qualify for a play in round of best of 5.
in the West -- and the next top 10 to make the playoffs with top 3 in each division get bye, then the top 4 remaining get in for a best of 3 play in round. then followed by best of 7 remaining series. A best of 3 then a best of 7 reaming equates to the Eastern playoffs. Its a best of 3 instead of 5 because the teams are 7th-10th place thus a best of 3.

in each conference 4 teams miss the playoffs.

For schedule in the East.....

division: 3 teams X 6 games= 18
conference 12 teams x 3 games = 36
interconference: 14 teams x 2 games= 28

In the west.....

division 6 teams x 5 games= 30 games
conference 7 teams x 3 games -1= 20 games (one team you only play twice )
interconference 16 teams x 2 games = 32 games

The issue in this set up will still be what happens when expansion happens to 2 teams. If exapnsion happens in the East you will have more than 16 teams on the eastern time so a team will get screwed. If 2 are in east the trade off would be to have FL and TB go to the other conference and form a southern divison with Nashville and Dallas. ihis is the case then TB and FL would likely get more of the expansion fees brought in...unless they go with a 2 conference format where each conference has a western divsion thus balancing the travel.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:08 PM
saskganesh

Quote:
They were in the early 70's, but I guess that's neverever to most people. But it really wasn't that long ago, believe me.

Quote:
That would be awesome. See 1972.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:50 PM
NHL Dude 120

Realignment ideas

I wrote something like this in another thread but i thought it would be relevant, if and when the NHL does align they should make it so that all teams will

- Have played in every arena once
- even distribution of teams in every division
- allow for inter-conference playoffs, I may be a new fan but its kinda annoying that eastern conference teams play, well eastern conference teams. this probably wouldn't happen but it kinda annoys me. I'd like to see more rivals develop.
- Have games start at 7:00 ( in the time zones) in order to allow eastern teams to watch western games.

Divisions

- Five divisions of 6 teams. Each team plays each other home and away three times. total of 30 division games played by each team. I've calculated that there would be a total of 90 games per division. for a total of 450 division games.

- Furthermore there would be inter-division games, each team plays each other home and away. 24 home and 24 away games. that totals up to 576 home and 576 away games for a whopping 1152 games.

- that's a total of 1602 games a season.

- I've also accounted for Phoenix relocating as well im assuming they move to Quebec. However this could also work if instead the team relocate to Hamilton

- Due note Dallas, Nashville Winnipeg, St.Louis, Chicago Colorado,Minnesota have different time zones i tried my best to find a compromise on that issue. Some of them will play earlier instead.

-Teams who are playing in a different time Zone will be eased into the changes I.e San Jose wont play say Montreal then Vancouver they would play (in no order at all) Toronto Detroit New York(either ISL or RAN) to ease them into the time Zone. this way travel is not as bad.

Here are the Divisions(I'm making up names)

Norris Division:
Ottawa
Toronto
Detroit
Boston
Montreal
*Quebec

Vezina Division:
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Buffalo
New Jersey
Carolina
Nashville

Art Ross Division:
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Chicago
Minnesota

Rocket Richard Division:
Anaheim
Los Angeles
San Jose
Colorado
Dallas
St.Louis

Hart Division:
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Washington
Tampa
Florida
Columbus

2 for an 1st overtime win
1 for an 2nd overtime point
1 for a shootout win
0 points for a loss

Playoffs

- Winning your division doesn't guarantee a playoff berth, only placing in the top 16 will assure a playoff berth.

- to help with travel, all playoff series will be a best on five.

- I though of after the season finishing there could be a Draw to announce the playoff series, but that was scrapped so, i guess we'll keep the 1 vs 16 2 vs 15 3 vs 14 and etc again higher seed gets to play at home. the winners will then move on so lets say 1 beats 16 and 2 beats 15 , 2 plays 15.

- Heres an example ( I'll assume the higher seed wins too make my point easier)

1 vs 16
2 vs 15
3 vs 14
4 vs 13
5 vs 12
6 vs 11
7 vs 10
8 vs 09

round 2
1 vs 2
3 vs 4
5 vs 6
7 vs 8

round 3
1 vs 3
5 vs 7

round 4 ( SCF)
1 vs 5

NHL draft

- only teams who finish last have a chance at a top five pick, to be fair though they can draft anywhere from 1 to five. this way the talent can be more spread out.
-

- Teams who have drafted 1st overall for three years will be swapped the second last place team in the division. i.e if Edmonton places last in their division this season they would only be able to draft anywhere from 6 to 11, the second last team in their division lets say Calgary is the second last ( based on current NHL standings) they would be swapped with Edmonton in the draft lottery because lets face it, its kind of sad if you need three 1st overalls.

- Picks 15-30 don't change remain status quo.

to illustrate my point

using current NHL standings but incorporating my realignment idea in no particular order for the top ten picks

1.Florida
2.Buffalo
3.Colorado
4. Columbus
5.Winnipeg

6. Toronto
7. New York I
8. Edmonton
9. Columbus (LA)
10. * Phoenix

note 1. Because based on the current standings phoenix is a borderline playoff team it wouldn't be fair to have a playoff team get a top five pick the worst preforming division would get the top five pick.

Now for picks 11-14 the remaining highest ranking playoff teams will now get picks 11-14

-for all those saying it's confusing i'll agree there are some holes . i'm open to changing the draft ranks provided that no division is guaranteed the entire top five picks. my intention is to ensure the talent is distributed evenly throughout the divisions. teams can still trade picks of course. Although if it were up to me i'd get rid of the draft entirely.

Last edited by NHL Dude 120: 02-25-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: additonal stuff
Closed Thread