HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Calling Kyle Turris but he ain't pickin up.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:30 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

vCash: 500
Seriously, he was lighting it up when he was our 2nd line center but once Spezza went down, match-ups became more difficult for him. And even then he was making plays.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Pitlick*

Turris reminds me of Stephen Weiss. Good 2-way game, good offensively as a 2nd line centre, but not a 1st line centre. When he faces the opponest's best checkers as a #1 centre he can't create as much offense as he could in his usual slot.

As a 2nd line centre, I'm happy with him. He certainly can't replace Spezza, but at least he's contributing defensively and on the PK.

Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Ice cold.

Ghost in the Shell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:51 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Turris has been playing very well defensively & the only problem is that he isn't scoring but neither are his linemates so I'm not sure why we would only pick on him? The team is winning so it shouldn't really matter, he will snap out of it at some point, the sooner the better. He is still very young & has the potential to be a first line centre but luckily for Ottawa they only need him to play first line minutes when Spezza isn't playing. He will grow into the position, mark my words.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:53 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Turris has been playing very well defensively & the only problem is that he isn't scoring but neither are his linemates so I'm not sure why we would only pick on him? The team is winning so it shouldn't really matter, he will snap out of it at some point, the sooner the better. He is still very young & has the potential to be a first line centre but luckily for Ottawa they only need him to play first line minutes when Spezza isn't playing. He will grow into the position, mark my words.
I sure hope he does pick it up soon. Alfie hasn't done much but he still creates more chances out there and Silfverberg has been the best player on that line.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:54 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

I've been impressed with his defensive game lately. Seems like a lot of others have too. And I've been aware of him enough offensively that I can see he's trying out there. No cause for alarm yet.

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:03 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
It looks like he's starting to get frustrated a little bit

I think he's handled being the number 1 centreman very well considering he isn't good enough for the position

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:11 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
It looks like he's starting to get frustrated a little bit

I think he's handled being the number 1 centreman very well considering he isn't good enough for the position
Pretty much. I can see him breaking out huge when Spezza comes back though.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:14 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
He is gripping on his stick so hard. He isn't using his head and just chasing the puck. Aside from that he has been really good in all the other details. He just isn't producing cause he feels the need to be the hero, imo, or the guy the team needs to count on every shift.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Turris is fine. The problem is that he's not ready for everyday 1st line centre duty. Keep in mind how long he's been playing the position full minutes in the NHL. He's learning to play against the other team's top line and/or best checkers. Despite how it looks the experience will do him good. Give him a couple of years to grow his game and he'll wow everyone.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:24 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

He's gone from snakebit into goal-scoring slump.

It's going to have to be one ugly goal to get him back on track.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Didn't see tonight's game but he was fantastic against Toronto imo. Used his speed really well on Saturday.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:25 PM
utah

Tonight wasn't one of his best, but I've liked his skating ability, vision, and defensive coverage all season.

He's a number two forced to play over his head. All in all, he's doing just fine.

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Cowen Time

Yah, let's through the 23 year old 2nd line center under the bus! Imagine if the Sens lost 5 in a row.

Relevant responses posted already, close le thread.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Can't wait until Silf-Turris-Alfie is back to being the second line. They'll cause a lot of damage.

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfie
Duag-Smith-Neil
Regin-Zibby-Condra

Duag, Regin, Zibby all interchangeable as needed.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Turris has been dreadful at one thing: he's been terrifyingly bad at faceoffs

I think this ties into him not scoring

He needs to win some faceoffs if he's going to be an effective centre

Last edited by Do Make Say Think: 02-25-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Ohhh Franco

Guys, lets be honest here. He's struggling mightily right now. Haven't looked at his face off stats, but it feels like he's been atrocious in the circle lately...the whole team has though. I'm not throwing him under the bus and just being negative for the sake of being negative, but he's being pushed around out there and has had a hard time staying on his feet. I'd love for him to be a bit more assertive and strong on the puck. I completely agree that he'll be much better once Spezza gets back and he's facing more favorable match ups. It's just tough to watch right now. Here's hoping he and the organization are better off for going through this!

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:06 PM
trobby

I expect Turris to be a solid 2nd line centreman, put up 55-60 points (full season), and play a solid two-way game.

He's played to my expectations.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Iamok
#Panic

It's only been recently that Turris even emerged as a legit 2C. At only 23 years old, it's not exactly surprising that he's not ready for the match ups associated with being a 1C.

However, at the same time, he has not looked the slightest bit overwhelmed on the defensive side of things with these same match ups, which is very promising.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:14 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Guys, lets be honest here. He's struggling mightily right now. Haven't looked at his face off stats, but it feels like he's been atrocious in the circle lately...the whole team has though. I'm not throwing him under the bus and just being negative for the sake of being negative, but he's being pushed around out there and has had a hard time staying on his feet. I'd love for him to be a bit more assertive and strong on the puck. I completely agree that he'll be much better once Spezza gets back and he's facing more favorable match ups. It's just tough to watch right now. Here's hoping he and the organization are better off for going through this!
So you're saying we should trade for a winger to take all his faceoffs for him?

What's Vermette doing these days?

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
So you're saying we should trade for a winger to take all his faceoffs for him?

What's Vermette doing these days?
Never said anything even remotely like that, just put out there what I've noticed and has frustrated me. I think I made it clear that I want him to be part of this team going forward, but he's clearly not strong enough or ready for primetime.

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:38 AM
waynson spetzky

Anyone else notice how often Turris falls down? It's the oddest thing. Overall he's a great skater but several times a game he'll randomly catch an edge, or slip, or whatever and he's on his ass.

That's not to knock him or anything, I think he's doing an admirable job given the roll he's been forced to take. The goals will come eventually.

waynson spetzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:31 AM
SenzZen

He was pretty frustrating to watch last night- his worst effort by far from what I've seen. Bumping into Alfie on the PP (before taking a stupid penalty), falling down on a 3 on 2, and generally taking the puck to bad spots on the ice (Silf did this a lot too- like he was looking for the extra space of an international rink).

All in all part and parcel of what you're going to get from a player his age in a condensed season like this. He still chipped in defensively.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Turris has played solid defensively... Nobody should question that.

His offensive game is pretty garbage lately. He is playing with 0 confidence. He seems very week on his skates and struggles 1 on 1. Hope he snaps out of whatever he is going thru soon...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Flamingo

Yup, it's mental. He's got to become more patient, it looks like he's letting the pressure get to him. He wasn't a great pass option when his teammates had the puck. The few times he was in a good position to receive a pass, he flopped to the ice. Too nervous, not anticipating well.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote