HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 in OT ...so close, yet so far

Old
02-25-2013, 11:30 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I wouldn't have an issue with trotting two of the kids out for difficult assignments but all three? On the same line? Recipe for disaster and we're seeing it. We need a veteran presence (NOT Ryan Smyth) on that top line.
Well the other choices are Belanger or Horcoff when he returns... Vets don't want to play here.

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Now that Katz (seemingly) has the go-ahead for his downtown palace hopefully he's focused on upper management's performance now. Regardless of how this year shakes up it's time for Timid Tambi to go. We need a sharper hockey mind to come in and finish this re-build.
There's no question about that; I agree. It takes more than stockpiling number 1 picks and unsigned college players to make a winner, and Tambo seems to lack the vision needed.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
plikestechno

vCash: 500
Whitneys been just as good as petry this year except whitney doesnt have smid to bail him out all game. If whitney doesnt play next game, id just walk out if i were him. Petry and potter should not be played ahead of him next game. Pull them both out and put whitney with smid and peckham with fistric. We needed whitneys breakout passes tonight.

I cant believe how much we miss shawn horcoff but we do.

So tough to watch a team with no composure. Time to step up=Crap pants. Year after year. Time to clear out the front office and coaching after the year. Too much loser. Players and fans need a completely new regime.

The Hall suspension hurt tonight i think. He makes a lot of room out there and may have been the difference tonight and maybe paajarvi would have been bumped off the 2nd line for smyth. They did nothing tonight. Ive never seen a guy try so hard to do so little as paajarvi. Hartikainens in the same boat at this point. I just wish they were better than they are. Very frustrating.

Eberle just cruising around tonight again, hope he didnt get too much of a sweat going doing nothing with or without the puck.

Just killed me sharp and kane did the exact same move on the same pairing and they looked terrible both times.

Chicago played exactly how i thought they would play on the back end of two in a row. I honestly thought 1000% we were going to win this game and almost put serious money on it. It was there for the taking and we blew two.leads and the game again. Chicago was tired but knew if they just sat back we'd beat ourselves and of course we did.

I didnt mind how yakupov was used tonight. Still too much of a defensive liability so being on the 3rd or 4th line plus plenty of pp time is fine with me. Hes a rookie after all.

Last edited by plikestechno: 02-25-2013 at 11:37 PM.
plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:31 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Olczyk is a ******. Someone's going to get hurt if someone ducks like that? What about all the people that get hurt when Carcillo throws out an elbow when he goes for those hits?

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
frag2

Quote:
We did? It was comical to watch the Oilers trying to break out tonight especially when they had a three on two break. Soooooo slow. The Hawks always had time to get back on the back check.
I didn't catch the third period as well as the first and second but it didn't look like the Oilers were having difficulty with breakout passes.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post

And we even lost that game! Yeah I did sort of answer my own question, although I still think a large amount of fans were picking on the wrong targets, but frustration in general is expected given what a nightmare this team has been to watch.
I'm talking about the last HNIC game when they came back to beat Colorado 6-4.
God, if they lost that game.
But really, that's the only game in which they thoroughly outplayed their opponent. I expected more nights like that this season and it's just not clicking with this group at all.

The most concerning part about all this is that it's the young guys bringing the team down. The players who we are going to need to be our best players when the team is ready to take the next step have all taken a sizeable step backwards this season outside of Hall. RNH, Eberle, Smid and Petry. I would feel a lot better if it was the vets bringing the team down but the vets for the most part have been doing their job, it's the young ones who are bringing the team down.
I'm sure that they'll be fine and this is just a bump in the road but i can't help but to be a bit concerned with their development.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Agreed. This team is rotten where it counts the most.
As much as I'm sympathetic to the points being made Chicago had some good fortune in players WANTING to play and sign there. Guys like Sharp, Hossa, Campbell afairc.

Thats what put the Hawks over the top and gave them a SC.

All the best planning in the world doesn't have that drop in your lap.

I'm not saying this to ignore giving credit for assembling a fantastic club but I think its a matter of some players that are astute enough also making the decision to jump on a certain ship. In Hossa's case it was almost comedic for awhile how he would go from one team with a chance to another.

Oilers already got some of this action with J Schultz but will need to serve notice of getting better for others to want to join the crew here. The nucleus here has to sway some heads first. Typically theres players out there that will come to a winner if they think thats where the boat is headed.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:33 PM
jmoss45

Really starting to think RNH is hurt. His shot has been off and he hasn't been nearly as physical. Bet its only a matter of time before we hear he's getting Hall's surgery.

At least if that was the case tambo could use that as his justification for spending more trying to work than he's spent trying to improve his team's remote chance of making the playoffs.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
YAKUGOD
BELIEVE.

on the plus side yakupov has an absolute cannon. if we could utilize it more 5 on 5 and pp we'd probably be in better shape.

YAKUGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Um, lol, what?!

Petry got totally undressed on a routine play by Sharp, who due to that was alowed to walk right in on net and then Petry for reasons know only to him skates BEHIND the net instead of taking the post.

Just indescribably stupid play by Petry.
Agreed. When the hell is it ever the forwards' responsibility to cover opposition forwards on a 4on4??

Old
02-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

Olczyk is a ******. Someone's going to get hurt if someone ducks like that? What about all the people that get hurt when Carcillo throws out an elbow when he goes for those hits?
Wow.... what a fool.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Byakin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

Thanks. Was wondering who the moron was that kept saying this. A penalty? For ducking? 2 minutes for unsportsman like conduct for not taking a hit like a man.

Byakin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
You aren't driving home; give me the keys.

That was funny... thank you, I can go to bed now with some positive endorphins.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I'm talking about the last HNIC game when they came back to beat Colorado 6-4.
God, if they lost that game.
But really, that's the only game in which they thoroughly outplayed their opponent. I expected more nights like that this season and it's just not clicking with this group at all.

The most concerning part about all this is that it's the young guys bringing the team down. The players who we are going to need to be our best players when the team is ready to take the next step have all taken a sizeable step backwards this season outside of Hall. RNH, Eberle, Smid and Petry. I would feel a lot better if it was the vets bringing the team down but the vets for the most part have been doing their job, it's the young ones who are bringing the team down.
I'm sure that they'll be fine and this is just a bump in the road but i can't help but to be a bit concerned with their development.

There has to be a country song or a Tony Robbins speech in there. Go through the fire and become a better man. Right now, they're going through the fire, and it's awfully hot.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:35 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
I wouldn't have an issue with trotting two of the kids out for difficult assignments but all three? On the same line? Recipe for disaster and we're seeing it. We need a veteran presence (NOT Ryan Smyth) on that top line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Just throwing them to the wolves is very risky and terrible asset management. We wait all this time, all those losses, only to now put immense pressure on a bunch of kids to win a man's game, and risk watching them fail spectacularly and ruin their development. Dumb ass Tambo...
Absolutely agreed on both accounts. We don't have the assets to pull of a major trade for a vet though. And this is probably going to get villified as well, but... you don't think we could have Penner from LA for a small box of magic beans?

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:35 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax53 View Post
SO what your saying is they should abandon the points and all pile up in the net. Then when instead of putting the puck to hossa they move it to their dmen and have a field day......
Yes.

That's playing desperate defense in OT 4 on 4, you collapse down low, even it means all 4 guys in front of the net.

When the situation down low is critical, at least one forward should abandon the point to help the front of the net.

Even if the point is abandoned, it would force the opponent to make another pass instead of going directly in on goal in close. Even if the opponent's d get a good pass, they have a chance to bobble it or need time to pull off a good shoot. Even if they get a shot off, we may have 2 or 3 bodies in front to block the shot.

And the goalie has a chance to save a shot from further out than from in close, especially the opponent could stand there to shot it 3 times from within 5 feet of the goal like Hossa had the time to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its all good. The only part we disagree on was Petrys inexplicable decision to try to go behind the net on 4 on 4 with guys like Sharp and Hossa in front of the net. That part was the mindblowing part. Trying to stickcheck Sharp twice in a row was bad enough, totally losing contain and sucking exhaust was worse, but taking up a position behind the net was right out of this world braincramp.

Just when I thought Niniima had the alltime Oiler record on this. (once turned the puck over 3 times in one shift, with time, allowing Dallas Stars to score a winner in OT in a playoff series..)
Yes. BTW, why Petry went behind the net after Sharp went to the front of the net was beyond comprehension. He basically screwed up big time twice.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:36 PM
T-Funk

The game winner was all on Petry. I don't even care how poorly everyone played that goal, Petry got turned back on and was completely soft on sharp about 4 times before it happened. (not to mention the behind the net thing, but getting pulled out of position seems to be part of the system)

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfordrocks View Post
man chicago sucks hard boring ass hockey cant compete properly so they plug up the neutral zone so sick and tired of nhl not banning this tactic.
Wait...what??? . They are one of the more exciting teams in the league to watch, I don't know what you're talking about.

Old
deep44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakin1 View Post
Thanks. Was wondering who the moron was that kept saying this. A penalty? For ducking? 2 minutes for unsportsman like conduct for not taking a hit like a man.
loll wow.. bet he would of called it a smart play if Kane did it.

deep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jmoss45

Are the people calling for more Yakupov actually watching these games? The guy is an absolute turnover machine at EV. Tons of errant passes, including a spin-o-rama that was 10X as dramatic as the one Gagner is getting flamed for trying tonight.

Yak was also directly responsible for the OT loss against Van.

He's having the usual rookie struggles. Still, no where near to creating enough offence to make up for his mistakes.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Well the other choices are Belanger or Horcoff when he returns... Vets don't want to play here.
So then fold the team if they aren't able to compete for talent with a so-called level economic playing field.

If they ever want this to turn into anything then they're going to have to overpay to get veterans here. It's just a sad fact. We need them.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:37 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
That's why you trade for them. Just spitballing, but a trade of last years #1 pick for Hartnell and Grossman* would've been a HUGE boost to this team--both now and in the future. We didn't need another 18 year old kid, with all due respect to Yak. Someone like Burke sees this and knows this; someone like Tambo plainly does not.

*(I'm not saying that trade was on the table, but just as an example.)

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oil country 83

Quote:
Goal aside he was a turnover machine.
So was the whole team and they kept getting shifts, ebs could not even dump the puck in tonight and caused 3 odd man rushes on 2 consecutive shifts in the 3rd.

Yak is not turning the puck over anymore than the vets, until this team gets there arrogance back they will not win Ralph needs to let the horses run.

Maybe tambelini told Kruger to bench him if he keeps creating offence, don't want to get to close to the playoffs after all.

oil country 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
YAKUGOD
BELIEVE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakin1 View Post
is he being serious..? wtf was he supposed to do just stand there and get crushed?

YAKUGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:38 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
I'm pretty sure these threads are only entertaining to Canuck fans at this point. I can feel half a decade of built up tension in pretty much each post. And even though I did earlier state how I was annoyed at how Oiler fans react to some things, we have had maybe the worst franchise in all of major league north american sports to watch ever since the cup run. This has been a painful team to follow and there's no light at the end of the tunnel yet.
Yes... Yehessss... give in to your feelings!

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote