HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2014 Olympics and the NHL (UPD: NHL, NHLPA, IIHF, IOC meeting this week)

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 03:35 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If the pros stop going to the Olympics after 2014 I would have no problem with Canada withdrawing for the World Championships. The rankings wouldn't mean anything after that.
This won't happen. The pros are going no matter what at this point. A two week stage of the best players in the world all playing against each other for absolutely no money and just to say that where they come from is the best at something. The pros I think would all argue that they should play. There's really no going back.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:26 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
This won't happen. The pros are going no matter what at this point. A two week stage of the best players in the world all playing against each other for absolutely no money and just to say that where they come from is the best at something. The pros I think would all argue that they should play. There's really no going back.
I agree that they are going to Sochi but South Korea in 2018? I don't think so.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:14 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
I agree that they are going to Sochi but South Korea in 2018? I don't think so.
If they decide to pull out (I hope they don't), then after Sochi please. One of the leading hockey nations of the world and its fans and players are waiting for that Olympic tournament, it would be terribly disrespectful to spoil their party.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:43 AM
cutchemist42

Why can't the WHC every 4 years just be held at the same time the Olympics are to ensure NHL teams participate? You still keep the relegation/promotion that way.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Then why call it "The World Championships"?
Because it is the championship of the world's international teams. What do the players have to do with anything? Is the Stanley Cup winner not the NHL champion if they have a bunch of players out to injury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Why can't the WHC every 4 years just be held at the same time the Olympics are to ensure NHL teams participate? You still keep the relegation/promotion that way.
What do you mean? Have the WHC in the middle of the season every year? The Russians have suggested that to the IIHF but I don't think it will happen, especially with the rumors that they're going to set up a European championship to be played during the season.

Plus if they make the Olympics the WHC in Olympic years they would have to expand the Olympic tournament to 16 teams, which depends on the IOC. I doubt the IIHF would go for that either, considering that would be a year they would miss out on their biggest money making event.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:04 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
Here's the thing, even in Europe the WC struggles at times to attract fans and in NA it is almost completely irrelevant.
Actually the WC do pretty well in NA all things considered. Look at the World Baseball Classic, relegated to the MLB network with absolutely no coverage at all. That's a tournament that only happens every 4 years with only spring training to compete with.

The WC on the other hand is competing with the Stanley Cup playoffs, and yet here in the U.S. is still on the NBCSN rather than relegated to the NHL Network like the World Juniors are.

That's not bad at all considering how little Americans care about international competition in general. I don't think the Basketball World Cup is on TV at all either, though maybe it's on the NBA network. Still not a regular cable channel though.

A "best-on-best" hockey tournament isn't going to get anymore attention in the U.S. than the WC already does.

As for Europe the only time is has trouble attracting fans is if the tickets are overpriced like last year.

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-03-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Let's scale that back a bit please
Old
03-05-2013, 11:03 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1367515

Continue further discussion in above thread.

Closed Thread