HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Future of Goaltending in Ottawa?

Old
02-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Caje

vCash: 500
Future of Goaltending in Ottawa?

Anderson is signed for the next two seasons, and will most likely remain our starter until then. He's only 31 years old and still has many good years ahead of him.

Bishop will be a RFA after this season (since he will undoubtedly get 4 more starts this season), and has played great for both Ottawa and Binghamton so far. He only has 29 games of NHL experience, but he's shown that he is an NHL calibre goaltender and has the potential to be a future starter. He could probably be had for a reasonable price if we decide to resign him.

Lehner has 13 games of NHL experience, but is widely considered to be the "goaltender of the future" on these forums. He is signed for next season on a two way contract, and has indicated that he might be unwilling to sign another one after that. You can't really blame him for that either, he's been fantastic in Binghamton and probably deserves some NHL starts.

So, what does Murray do? All three goalies are relatively young. Anderson will be 33 once his contract is up, and I can't see him start to regress until he is 35+, so he should have at least 3 or 4 more years as a starter. I can't imagine Lehner is that happy right now being in Binghamton when he outplayed Bishop there during the lockout. I also can't see Bishop going back to the AHL after what he's done so far in Ottawa.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:40 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

No idea.

It's a nice problem to have.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:42 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

bishop is not waiver exempt. We cant send him to the AHL, as we'd lose him on waivers.

i still think bishop gets traded at some point, but happy he keeps raising his value. Kinda funny the lightning traded two seconds and a third for lindback, when they could've had bishop for just one.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Imagine you are Lehner and you look at who is ahead of you. Anderson and Bishop both playing like allstars. You either despair or work your butt off showing that you belong in the same or better goaltender class than those 2 guys.

How strong is Lehner and how will he respond to the challenge? That's the million dollar question for me.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Quo
ragtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Imagine you are Lehner and you look at who is ahead of you. Anderson and Bishop both playing like allstars. You either despair or work your butt off showing that you belong in the same or better goaltender class than those 2 guys.

How strong is Lehner and how will he respond to the challenge? That's the million dollar question for me.
A good question but I wouldn't bet against the kid.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:00 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post

If you know Lehner, you'll know that his competition level is second to none.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

I think I am in the minority of people that don't want Bishop traded at all this season... and to be honest... I quite like the 1-2 punch we have. I'm not as gung ho about Lehner being the franchice goalie of the present/future.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:13 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
I think I am in the minority of people that don't want Bishop traded at all this season... and to be honest... I quite like the 1-2 punch we have. I'm not as gung ho about Lehner being the franchice goalie of the present/future.
Yeah I sorta agree with this. Still think Lehner could end up being our most important player out there but its looking more and more like Bishop or Anderson could lead us to great short term success.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:13 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Remember, Bishop only needs to start like 4 more games (or something like that) to maintain his RFA status for next year.

We're in no hurry to move him at all, as it looks like he won't hit the UFA market during the summer. We can keep him, and if we feel we need to move him during the off-season to make room for Lehner, we can always trade him at the draft and get "Lindback+" value for the guy (Lindback got two 2nd rounders and a spare part for Nashville in that trade).

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:14 PM
HavlatMach9

Guessing Bishop gets traded in the off-season. Lehner is young so he's not going anywhere anytime soon, so if we decide to keep Bishop, Lehner will have to beat him or wait.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

It is unlikely that Bishop stays in Ottawa since Murray has all-but-said that Lehner was the goalie of the future

If he keeps playing this way he will fetch a nice return (I don't think he's going back to the AHL anytime soon)

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Iamok
#Panic

I'd say Bishop gets moved in the off-season. Let Lehner ride out the season in Bingo and take the back-up role next year.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:22 PM
playasRus

I'd rather let all three battle it out next training camp, then trade the odd man out of the three.

Or unless someone gets desperate this deadline ala Varlamov.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:17 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Im here as well. The way I see it is Lehner will be lucky to be as good as Andy currently is, and Bishop is playing as well/better than Lehner. Lehner could easily be the much better goalie, but people just anointed him and then that was it...no matter what he is the future, no one is allowed to get in the way.

For all we know neither will dethrone Anderson for the next 5 years. Or Bishop will crash and burn next year, or Lehner wont ever become what we wanted.

This is why I want all 3 as long as we can keep them all here and happy. Part of me wants to risk going with Bishop/Lehner if we have to choose 2, but part of me is terrified to get away from Andy.

Who freaking knew this would EVER be a problem in Ottawa?

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:18 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Guessing Bishop gets traded in the off-season. Lehner is young so he's not going anywhere anytime soon, so if we decide to keep Bishop, Lehner will have to beat him or wait.
Its not like Bishop is old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
It is unlikely that Bishop stays in Ottawa since Murray has all-but-said that Lehner was the goalie of the future

If he keeps playing this way he will fetch a nice return (I don't think he's going back to the AHL anytime soon)
He also said that for all he knows Andy is the starter for the next 8 years.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:26 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I say Bishop is moved regardless but his hot play now makes him at an all-time high especially if it continues for a couple more weeks.

Lehner was showing just as much destruction and dominance last year as Bishop is showing this year and Lehner is blowing EVERYONE including Bishop out of the water this year in the AHL with unheard of stats.

Anderson is this team's number 1 and Lehner has earned the number 2 job for next year. It remains to be seen if Bishop is moved at deadline day(If someone overpays) or off-season.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:28 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I say Bishop is moved regardless but his hot play now makes him at an all-time high especially if it continues for a couple more weeks.

Lehner was showing just as much destruction and dominance last year as Bishop is showing this year and Lehner is blowing EVERYONE including Bishop out of the water this year in the AHL with unheard of stats.

Anderson is this team's number 1 and Lehner has earned the number 2 job for next year. It remains to be seen if Bishop is moved at deadline day(If someone overpays) or off-season.
This,

Lehner is the goalie of the future, stay the course of the rebuild

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Quo
ragtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
No idea.

It's a nice problem to have.
I've considered all points in this thread and can still get no further than this.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Lehner may not like it but he's still on his ELC next year. The reality is that the Sens don't have to make a move for a long time. Obviously if Anderson and / or Bishop falter badly and Lehner plays lights out for an extended period of time then it would push them to make a move but that would also devalue the trade asset. As things stand for the organization the current status is still the best even for next year.

Of course there is the school of thought that says why wait for that to happen since it's best to trade your surplus while they are playing well and their value is at its highest. If someone wants to seriously overpay for one of the goalies then all things are possible.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:52 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
I'd rather let all three battle it out next training camp, then trade the odd man out of the three.

Or unless someone gets desperate this deadline ala Varlamov.
Man oh man oh shabbaz.

If we could get a "Varlamov-esque" return for Bishop, I'd be all like:

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Benny FTW
C===Benny

Trade Bishop at the draft but only for an over-payment.

Keep the other 2.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Remember, Bishop only needs to start like 4 more games (or something like that) to maintain his RFA status for next year.

We're in no hurry to move him at all, as it looks like he won't hit the UFA market during the summer. We can keep him, and if we feel we need to move him during the off-season to make room for Lehner, we can always trade him at the draft and get "Lindback+" value for the guy (Lindback got two 2nd rounders and a spare part for Nashville in that trade).
I think the GP requirement for RFA status was removed once he signed a 1 way contract with us.

It is nice looking at the stats page and seeing Anderson #1 and Bishop #3 for save%

Lehner is still #1 for save% in the AHL, ranked third for GAA

Qward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:33 AM
PCooper

Columbus is going to have a couple 1sts @ the draft.

If Bishop can keep up his play and pump up his value could we get a first from the Jackets or someone else?

I'd rather we keep everyone the rest of this season and it's my personal hope that Anderson and Lehner are the guys going forward long-term, but we all know things can change quickly in pro sports.

It would be fantastic to just run with 3 goalies for years, especially after all the goaltending ******** we've put up with, but someone's gotta go eventually.

PCooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:36 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

i dont think a goalie has the same value after training camp as they have during the offseason. I think he'll be gone by july 1st.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:56 AM
Savannah Skunk

I hope we draft another goal tender prospect. There should always be irons in the fire.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote