HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spring Training Madness the 1st: Canada/USA (WBC) Sunday @ 4pm ET/1pm PT

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
I may start a Lance Zawadzki fan club

Seriously though every spring there is a guy I want to see make the club even though he doesn't really have a shot and I think he's that guy this year, last year it was Jonathan Diaz who now plays for the Red Sux.
There's always that ST killer than ends up with a call up. Last year was Yan Gomes.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:52 PM
HappyGilmourr

vCash: 500
Wow he's leaving 42 million on the table? Thats insane. Great for the Angles though...

Old
02-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Dwight K Schrute

Espn on Jose:

"I feel fine," he says, five and a half months after surgery to repair the tendon sheath in that wrist.

"It’s a pretty simple procedure," he goes on. "As long as you’re a good healer, you shouldn't have any trouble coming back from it. People have that surgery all the time and come back. … I did my research, and it's true. It’s a pretty common surgery for baseball players. I mean, it's not as common as Tommy John (surgery), or a labrum for the shoulder. But people have had that surgery and been successful at a pretty good rate."

He then ticks off a list of players who have had it: Sam Fuld for one (with the same surgeon, Dr. Thomas Graham). Gary Sheffield for another. And Mark DeRosa, who just happens to be hanging out in this same locker room, about 50 feet away.

But it’s funny he should mention that name, because DeRosa’s 2009 surgery shouldn’t be filling Bautista, or anyone else, with a sense of overflowing optimism. And why is that? Because “it didn’t work,” DeRosa says now.

"I’m a tough guy to talk to," he says, "because I personally feel -- and not to make any excuses -- that it totally handicapped my entire career since I've done it. I’ve seen my power cut in half."

Now obviously, DeRosa is far from a perfect comparison to Jose Bautista. One guy is a super-utility man who has had two 20-homer seasons in 15 years in the big leagues. The other was coming off back-to-back years of 54 and 43 home runs when his tendon sheath unraveled on him last July.

But DeRosa was in the midst of the best two-season offensive stretch of his career -- 21 homers in 2008, 23 in 2009 -- when he hurt his wrist. He's hit exactly one home run in three seasons since. So his advice to Jose Bautista this spring is this:

Don't overdo it. "

I find it pretty worrisome that DeRosa went from hitting 57hr over 2.5 seasons to losing all his pop at the age of 35.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Wow he's leaving 42 million on the table? Thats insane. Great for the Angles though...
No no no he has 2 years left on his contract at $21 million salary. He intends to retire after his contract expires. So basically, the opposite for the Angels.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:07 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Vernon Wells says he's going to retire after the 2014 season (2 years, 42m left on contract)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...fter-2014.html

Also
How do you walk away from 42 million to ride the bench for two years? Must be nice to have made so much money playing a sport that that's an option.

Just read Eyedea's post so I guess he won't be walking away from that money and I can absolutely understand why. I don't however think retirement is completely his idea. Unless he all of a sudden wants to start playing for pretty close to a base salary.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Again, maybe I worded it wrong, but there's 2 years at 21 million annually left on his contract. He intends to retire after it expires which is the end of the 2014 season.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:13 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

funniest thing i read today about farrell, from a sox blogger on espn:

Quote:
* While John Farrell may dismiss facing his former team as “just another game,” fans have a different opinion. During batting practice and team introductions, a large contingent of the Toronto faithful in the crowd of 4,824 booed vociferously. Then, following the game, while Farrell was conducting his media session with reporters just outside the visitors' clubhouse, a fan who was exiting the stadium shouted: “You suck Farrell.”

Farrell didn’t initially acknowledge the man, but toward the end of the interview, the Red Sox skipper jokingly said, “OK, you’ll have to excuse me. I have to go meet up with my friend.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-s...-farrell-booed

Old
02-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
How do you walk away from 42 million to ride the bench for two years? Must be nice to have made so much money playing a sport that that's an option.

Just read Eyedea's post so I guess he won't be walking away from that money and I can absolutely understand why. I don't however think retirement is completely his idea. Unless he all of a sudden wants to start playing for pretty close to a base salary.
He might retire after his contract is up, which is after the 2014 season. He'll be like 35 by then and right now, if he was on the open market, he would probably be getting a minor league or Jason Bay type deal at best. Maybe if he turns it around, he'll change his mind but I can see why he would want to retire after that contract is up. He is a shade of his former self who won't see much playing time or money so I guess why stick around? Some guys need the money but he's earned plenty. I think he said he wants to own a minor league team or something with his friend Tori Hunter.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:49 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Drabek was put on 60-day DL today to make room for Lars Anderson.

No surprise there.

also, who's the new girl behind the desk for Sportsnet? She's kinda bad at this. Frames the Jays ST report as if it's going to ask how the Jays are being perceived in the US in terms of attention level. That never comes up in the interview between Barry Davis and Peter Gammons.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
02-25-2013, 09:17 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Farrell is sick of the media attention that he`s getting with playing the Jays today. What the **** did he think would happen???

Old
02-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
If anyone is actually taking spring training seriously, get real. It's a time to loosen up the arms, throw pitches out of order to get your arm back, and get re-acclimated with the speed of the game. Pitchers aren't going hard at all, most are just throwing their secondary stuff to get it warmed up for the season. Guys are going to get lit up over the next couple weeks so get used to it.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Farrell is sick of the media attention that he`s getting with playing the Jays today. What the **** did he think would happen???
On top of that, Boston had a split squad and he chose to be with the team that went to Dunedin. This Farrell guy is a total ass. He is going to regret asking to go to Boston very very soon.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:45 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

JPA had trouble with the knuckler

Old
02-25-2013, 10:16 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
JPA had trouble with the knuckler
One pass ball in two innings? In his first time catching a knuckleball in his life?

Honestly it wasn't that bad. JP won't catch Dickey much at all this year... probably less than 5 starts.

He just needs to be serviceable to the point that come serious baseball time (aka the p-word) Gibby can be confident rolling him out there and maximizing our offence.

Of course this all assumes JP brings up pretty much every category associated with his bat.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:51 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Apparently the passed ball was a semi-wild pitch too

Old
02-25-2013, 11:03 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
One pass ball in two innings? In his first time catching a knuckleball in his life?

Honestly it wasn't that bad. JP won't catch Dickey much at all this year... probably less than 5 starts.

He just needs to be serviceable to the point that come serious baseball time (aka the p-word) Gibby can be confident rolling him out there and maximizing our offence.

Of course this all assumes JP brings up pretty much every category associated with his bat.
Platooning?
Pitch count?
Pinch running?
PECOTA?
Luke Prokopec?
Melky Cabrera's secret go-go juice?

Seriously I'm confused here. As a Blue Jays fan for the past 20 years, I'm not sure I know any other baseball words that start with "p".

Last edited by The Nemesis: 02-25-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 11:22 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Yeah it was ruled a wild pitch iirc....

Was thrown pretty much in the other batters box... not much even Doug Mirabelli could do about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Platooning?
Pitch count?
Pinch running?
PECOTA?
Luke Prokopec?
Melky Cabrera's secret go-go juice?

Seriously I'm confused here. As a Blue Jays fan for the past 20 years, I'm not sure I know any other baseball words that start with "p".

LOL.

It was mainly a blanket statement.

Phelps, Phillips, Painter or Purcey. Pick your Poison

Old
02-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Espn on Jose:

"I feel fine," he says, five and a half months after surgery to repair the tendon sheath in that wrist.

"It’s a pretty simple procedure," he goes on. "As long as you’re a good healer, you shouldn't have any trouble coming back from it. People have that surgery all the time and come back. … I did my research, and it's true. It’s a pretty common surgery for baseball players. I mean, it's not as common as Tommy John (surgery), or a labrum for the shoulder. But people have had that surgery and been successful at a pretty good rate."

He then ticks off a list of players who have had it: Sam Fuld for one (with the same surgeon, Dr. Thomas Graham). Gary Sheffield for another. And Mark DeRosa, who just happens to be hanging out in this same locker room, about 50 feet away.

But it’s funny he should mention that name, because DeRosa’s 2009 surgery shouldn’t be filling Bautista, or anyone else, with a sense of overflowing optimism. And why is that? Because “it didn’t work,” DeRosa says now.

"I’m a tough guy to talk to," he says, "because I personally feel -- and not to make any excuses -- that it totally handicapped my entire career since I've done it. I’ve seen my power cut in half."

Now obviously, DeRosa is far from a perfect comparison to Jose Bautista. One guy is a super-utility man who has had two 20-homer seasons in 15 years in the big leagues. The other was coming off back-to-back years of 54 and 43 home runs when his tendon sheath unraveled on him last July.

But DeRosa was in the midst of the best two-season offensive stretch of his career -- 21 homers in 2008, 23 in 2009 -- when he hurt his wrist. He's hit exactly one home run in three seasons since. So his advice to Jose Bautista this spring is this:

Don't overdo it. "

I find it pretty worrisome that DeRosa went from hitting 57hr over 2.5 seasons to losing all his pop at the age of 35.

Gary didn't seem too phased by it. And he's a lot better of a comparion to Jose than DeRosa is.

Time will tell.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:27 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2013/st...eam-was-needed

Jeffrey Loria says the Marlins fire sale was "necessary"

yeah. Sure, buddy.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:31 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

ESPN's doing a tour of each team at Spring Training and today was the Blue Jays.

In theory. In reality they talked about Dickey getting hit around a bit in his start, then used like 3 or 4 minutes to discuss what the loss of Curtis Granderson means to the Yankees. And how Derek Jeter is the 2nd coming of Jesus and they're waiting on baited breath for the moment he shows them that he can walk on water.

I'm surprised they also didn't find a way to work Tim Tebow in there, since clearly "discuss the Blue Jays" was code for "nobody gives a **** about some Canadian team, let's talk about stuff we want to."

Old
02-26-2013, 03:44 AM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:

ESPN's doing a tour of each team at Spring Training and today was the Blue Jays.

In theory. In reality they talked about Dickey getting hit around a bit in his start, then used like 3 or 4 minutes to discuss what the loss of Curtis Granderson means to the Yankees. And how Derek Jeter is the 2nd coming of Jesus and they're waiting on baited breath for the moment he shows them that he can walk on water.

I'm surprised they also didn't find a way to work Tim Tebow in there, since clearly "discuss the Blue Jays" was code for "nobody gives a **** about some Canadian team, let's talk about stuff we want to."
what do you expect though? We simply are different. We are. We are in a different country... They should 100 percent be being attention to all the american teams first. Canadians don't have as much access to ESPN as americans do as it is nationally televised their so they should 100 percent focus on those teams first. The first half of TSN shows all canadian content. First Leaf highlights, followed by all NHL Canadian teams, followed by Raptors etc. Only then in the 2nd half of the show does TSN show US teams only because that's all that is left to show. If there were 29 canadian teams and 1 American team it would be the same... I'm actually surprised how much Jays info there is on ESPN. I would say there is quite a bit of attention on the Jays though considering all they have done.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:49 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

They should talk about the Jays during their "Jays segment" not because they're from Canada, but because they're favourites to win it all this season.

However, there has been a lot of coverage of the Jays moves over the past few months, and none of those impact moves are recent, whereas Granderson's injury (at the hands of JA Happ) is a recent development directly affecting the most popular the in the league, in their largest media market. Not surprised they managed to make it about them.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:57 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
So much so that it wasn't a passed ball. http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=330225114

Old
02-26-2013, 06:06 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:

They do everything they can to say that the Jays are one of the best, if not the best team in the AL

It's ridiculous.

And they know nothing about the team.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:15 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
They should talk about the Jays during their "Jays segment" not because they're from Canada, but because they're favourites to win it all this season.

However, there has been a lot of coverage of the Jays moves over the past few months, and none of those impact moves are recent, whereas Granderson's injury (at the hands of JA Happ) is a recent development directly affecting the most popular the in the league, in their largest media market. Not surprised they managed to make it about them.
So much win, ultimate team player

Closed Thread