HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Markstrom Sent Back to SA

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2013, 10:41 PM
  #51
p9ers
Registered User
 
p9ers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
It just makes no sense to me to call him up temporarily to face, arguably, the two best teams in the conference. They put him in position to fail, and, for what it's worth, he didn't.
I assume the management wanted to shake up the team. If Markstrom had won us the game against Boston and Pittsburgh, we could have made a push for a playoff spot and keep the hopes alive. However, since the team got two loss and are out of it, there's no reason to keep him here.

I think it was a move worth trying, a bit late in my opinion, but nonetheless, not a screw up. Also, Markstrom is such a confident goalie, that a shaky start wouldn't have made a dent.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:15 PM
  #52
Benched
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,884
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
I assume the management wanted to shake up the team. If Markstrom had won us the game against Boston and Pittsburgh, we could have made a push for a playoff spot and keep the hopes alive. However, since the team got two loss and are out of it, there's no reason to keep him here.

I think it was a move worth trying, a bit late in my opinion, but nonetheless, not a screw up. Also, Markstrom is such a confident goalie, that a shaky start wouldn't have made a dent.
To me, that's more of a reason to keep him here. The only logical explanation for sending him down is that we're trying to trade a goalie, probably Theo. If a Theo deal isn't done before the deadline, there's no reason why we should have sent him back down.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:23 AM
  #53
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,871
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
To me, that's more of a reason to keep him here. The only logical explanation for sending him down is that we're trying to trade a goalie, probably Theo. If a Theo deal isn't done before the deadline, there's no reason why we should have sent him back down.
Do you realize that pretty much no team keeps 3 goalies on hand? Do you understand that it wasn't Marks fault that we lost the games that he played? Theo and Clem can hold the fort down this season and I would rather see Marks get big minutes in SA for the rest of the year. We need more offense, plain and simple. Versteeg should be off IR and back in the line-up soon, so we need that roster spot for him.
You guys have some interesting ideas, that's for sure. Not well thought out, but interesting...

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:11 AM
  #54
Madhatter73
Registered User
 
Madhatter73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Do you realize that pretty much no team keeps 3 goalies on hand? Do you understand that it wasn't Marks fault that we lost the games that he played? Theo and Clem can hold the fort down this season and I would rather see Marks get big minutes in SA for the rest of the year. We need more offense, plain and simple. Versteeg should be off IR and back in the line-up soon, so we need that roster spot for him.
You guys have some interesting ideas, that's for sure. Not well thought out, but interesting...
More offense won't necessarily help a team that still loses when it scores 5 goals.

I think the thought was to move a tender and keep Marky up... He showed he can play at this level now... I'd rather him see 20+ games of NHL shots than spend more time in the AHL. He will grow more on the big team at this point.

The "not well thought out" part is a bit unnecessary. Differing opinions are what a forum is for.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:31 AM
  #55
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,871
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
More offense won't necessarily help a team that still loses when it scores 5 goals.

I think the thought was to move a tender and keep Marky up... He showed he can play at this level now... I'd rather him see 20+ games of NHL shots than spend more time in the AHL. He will grow more on the big team at this point.

The "not well thought out" part is a bit unnecessary. Differing opinions are what a forum is for.
I'm pretty sure we win more often than we lose after scoring 5 goals.

If we don't have the offense to consistently win than I don't see a reason to keep Marks up here.

1- Theo can do a good job in net as long as we generate offense, which we haven't on a regular basis.

2-Marks was playing well and meshing well with teammates in SA before he got the promotion.

3-Jacob's experience in the AHL is a lot more important than some of you may realize. He is gaining confidence and becoming a team leader in the locker room.

4-Theo is not getting traded right now (has a no move clause) and Clem is signed through next year.

5- Rampage! I think some of you forget that we have a farm team in SA that we are trying to build a winner in, and will be important to our success. Every time we lose a player to a trade or injury means we have to weaken the Rampage team and also the Cyclones with call-ups. If DGM gets injured, then god help the Rampage with only Foster in net.

6- Enough of this "firesale" stuff on the main boards. If we lost Weiss, Flash, Kuli, Weaver, Goc, and for whatever crazy reason Mueller... and Kopecky?? Really??? God help us next season.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:44 AM
  #56
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
I'm pretty sure we win more often than we lose after scoring 5 goals.

If we don't have the offense to consistently win than I don't see a reason to keep Marks up here.

1- Theo can do a good job in net as long as we generate offense, which we haven't on a regular basis.

2-Marks was playing well and meshing well with teammates in SA before he got the promotion.

3-Jacob's experience in the AHL is a lot more important than some of you may realize. He is gaining confidence and becoming a team leader in the locker room.

4-Theo is not getting traded right now (has a no move clause) and Clem is signed through next year.

5- Rampage! I think some of you forget that we have a farm team in SA that we are trying to build a winner in, and will be important to our success. Every time we lose a player to a trade or injury means we have to weaken the Rampage team and also the Cyclones with call-ups. If DGM gets injured, then god help the Rampage with only Foster in net.

6- Enough of this "firesale" stuff on the main boards. If we lost Weiss, Flash, Kuli, Weaver, Goc, and for whatever crazy reason Mueller... and Kopecky?? Really??? God help us next season.
Well obviously they would be replaced. And not all of them will be traded. This is coming from Bob McKenzie, that's why it's being talked about. He did say Kuli and Mueller won't be traded.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:13 AM
  #57
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,871
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Well obviously they would be replaced. And not all of them will be traded. This is coming from Bob McKenzie, that's why it's being talked about. He did say Kuli and Mueller won't be traded.
I would expect a player or two to be traded, but our fans starting a "firesale" thread on the mains is a little disappointing. It just invites trolls.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:37 AM
  #58
jakethesnake23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, OZ
Country: Australia
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Your spot on JP Mick, we have 3 keepers and guys coming back from injury, of course a keeper will have to make way. Easiest one to move is Jake, back down to the AHL.

Theories about a trade that has been vetoed by Theo, or other similar nonesense are just that, nonesense. Its a numbers move pure and simple.

Im sure one of our keepers will be gone before the end of the year and Jake will be bought back up. Hes clearly the man for the future. Couldnt be more obvious. But for now he was the easiest to move.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:26 AM
  #59
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme
 
King Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Riverside, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
How many buyouts do we have? If it's only one, I choose Upshall over Kuba.
Whats this talk about only having a limited number of buyouts? Ive never heard of that. Is it new?

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
  #60
RampageNate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,317
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
Whats this talk about only having a limited number of buyouts? Ive never heard of that. Is it new?
I believe they are talking about the two "amnesty" buyouts each team was given after the lockout, which have no cap imlications.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
  #61
freakstar
Paaaaaanthers
 
freakstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
Whats this talk about only having a limited number of buyouts? Ive never heard of that. Is it new?
I believe it is two per season?


Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm almost 100% sure theres a limited number of buyouts per season.

freakstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:38 AM
  #62
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker
 
Desert Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakstar View Post
I believe it is two per season?


Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm almost 100% sure theres a limited number of buyouts per season.
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/0...ance-and-more/

It is 2 buyouts. Teams are on the hook for 2/3 of the salary but there are no cap implications.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:19 PM
  #63
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
I would expect a player or two to be traded, but our fans starting a "firesale" thread on the mains is a little disappointing. It just invites trolls.
I think it will be more than a player or two, but point taken.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.