Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Monday Night Raw Discussion Thread #40

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 01:01 AM
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013

vCash: 375
I stopped watching wrestling in 2006 and just started watching it again in December, so that was the first Punk-Cena match I've ever seen...and it was amazing! They have some of the best chemistry I've ever seen.

Next week is supposed to be an "Old School RAW"?

I really hope we get to see the Doctor of Thuganomics!

Old
02-26-2013, 01:06 AM
Nose Face Killah
It's Tuukka Time

vCash: 500
This raw was one of the best. Great matches all around.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:25 AM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAlex916 View Post
I stopped watching wrestling in 2006 and just started watching it again in December, so that was the first Punk-Cena match I've ever seen...and it was amazing! They have some of the best chemistry I've ever seen.

Next week is supposed to be an "Old School RAW"?

I really hope we get to see the Doctor of Thuganomics!
Go watch their matches from Money In The Bank 2011 and Night of Champions last year. Just as awesome.

Like VKM said, I'm also not mad that Cena won because of how tremendous that match was tonight. Granted, I too hated the no-sell (especially on the 8 count) but busting out a powerbomb, a hurricurana (sp?), and even a piledriver was awesome.

The opening was fantastic too. Just two massive guys fighting it out with blood and anguish and pain. Awesome.

I'm now getting pretty invested in the Swagger/ADR angle. Zeb is just a genius and a madman.

And I too expect The Shield vs. another team of Super Friends (Orton, Sheamus, Ryback) at 'Mania, but with Ryback giving The Shield the win with a heel turn.

Overall, a solid show. Had me interested from start to finish and the main event easily stole the show.

Last edited by TheMurdocktor: 02-26-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old
02-26-2013, 01:33 AM
Megahab

I'm not sure if they're planning on doing Sheamus vs. Barrett or Sheamus & others vs. The Shield. I think Barrett going over Sheamus would help Barrett a lot.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:19 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

That Cena vs Punk match was ridiculous. A ****ing Piledriver? Cena doing a Powerbomb? So good.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:03 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
could only catch the main-event... way too good.
credit to cena, cuz he's also good but it shows how bad the rock has looked, despite punks talent.

and also saw the Lessnar/hhh spot....
not the best, but. Brock looks like a sick person, specially covered in blood. i agree it spiced the spot.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:21 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Great show from start to finish, I wish they would trim down the roster and give us this stuff more often. They skipped over many of the intros which is great, no diva match which is great and no big men dancing. Khali sucks, so having him get pinned quickly helps Henry and, the fact that we dont have to see their Oddities 2.0 dancing crap is always a plus.

Not sure why everyone is so fascinated with Zeb though, I dont mind the concept of the feud, but I'm just not buying what theyre selling. Swagger's "we the people" doesnt make any sense to me.

Main event was the best wrestling match I've seen on free TV since getting back in to wrestling last year. I was hoping the match would end with both men being counted out or unable to continue, but they obviously have different plans for Punk.

For Wrestlemania then, there are still a lot of top end guys without anything going on. I hope they bring back the MITB match for WM and scrap the PPV.

Brad Maddox is a gem, he is so far ahead of anyone not named Dean Ambrose on the mic, I hope WWE realizes what they have in him.

The Shield is great, but I'm really starting to get bored with the booking. Last thing WM29 needs is more recycled matches, but it is looking like Sheamus/Orton/Ryback again. I assume Ryback or Orton turn and join the shield. Ryback needs to not talk anymore, because he sucks at it, so maybe insulating him with Ambrose and Rollins can let him just wrestle without needing to grip a mic.

Great show, and there was no Taker, Jericho, Rock or Big Show, that's saying something.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:36 AM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Great show from start to finish, I wish they would trim down the roster and give us this stuff more often. They skipped over many of the intros which is great, no diva match which is great and no big men dancing. Khali sucks, so having him get pinned quickly helps Henry and, the fact that we dont have to see their Oddities 2.0 dancing crap is always a plus.

Not sure why everyone is so fascinated with Zeb though, I dont mind the concept of the feud, but I'm just not buying what theyre selling. Swagger's "we the people" doesnt make any sense to me.

Main event was the best wrestling match I've seen on free TV since getting back in to wrestling last year. I was hoping the match would end with both men being counted out or unable to continue, but they obviously have different plans for Punk.

For Wrestlemania then, there are still a lot of top end guys without anything going on. I hope they bring back the MITB match for WM and scrap the PPV.

Brad Maddox is a gem, he is so far ahead of anyone not named Dean Ambrose on the mic, I hope WWE realizes what they have in him.

The Shield is great, but I'm really starting to get bored with the booking. Last thing WM29 needs is more recycled matches, but it is looking like Sheamus/Orton/Ryback again. I assume Ryback or Orton turn and join the shield. Ryback needs to not talk anymore, because he sucks at it, so maybe insulating him with Ambrose and Rollins can let him just wrestle without needing to grip a mic.

Great show, and there was no Taker, Jericho, Rock or Big Show, that's saying something.
Team Bricki! That part got me going.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:33 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Mowzie and TheMurdocktor touched on some smaller parts of Raw that were very good, too. I definitely like what Maddox does in his role. He's funny. He brings a unique talent that isn't really offered in the show and that's a current/cool poser type character who comes off hilarious.

Also The Shield delivered a good promo and I like how Orton came from the back to take out Rollins. There were some very good parts of the promo, though. 1) Ambrose delivers such a unique style. You don't really know where he's going at first but he draws it all back together. 2) Rollins calling out Jericho furthers their twitter battle. It makes perfect sense.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Can't wait to see the ratings for last nights show.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Dean Ambrose
k

vCash: 133
I'm intrigued to see the overrun number too. You have to believe that word was going around about how good that Cena-Punk match was that got fans interested.

The show was so good from top to bottom, it deserves a 4 something rating, to be honest, but the show will probably just end up getting somewhere between 3.3 and 3.5

I never thought I was a bad person. I just thought I was the one good person living in a world of bad people.
Old
02-26-2013, 09:31 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
- Vince McMahon reportedly “blew a gasket” backstage at RAW last night during the CM Punk vs. John Cena main event. Word is that Vince got upset when Punk hit Cena with a piledriver, which is a banned move when done the way Punk did it. Vince was upset with Cena and Punk but because it was them, there will likely be no serious punishment.

Source: F4Wonline.com
If he attempted to convey that to them, I'm most curious to hear what Punk's reaction would have been?

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
02-26-2013, 09:45 AM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
- Vince McMahon reportedly “blew a gasket” backstage at RAW last night during the CM Punk vs. John Cena main event. Word is that Vince got upset when Punk hit Cena with a piledriver, which is a banned move when done the way Punk did it. Vince was upset with Cena and Punk but because it was them, there will likely be no serious punishment.

Source: F4Wonline.com

If he attempted to convey that to them, I'm most curious to hear what Punk's reaction would have been?
They'll get a slap on the wrist, maybe a small fine and a stern talking to not to do it again. Nothing will come of it.

It added so much to the match not because it's such a great move, but just because we never see it anymore and it was timed just right. They could have conceivably ended the match after the piledriver or the powerbomb based on the furious pacing near the end, and it would have worked perfectly.

I forget who said it but Cena looks really polished in the ring with Punk. The reversals and the submission counters are just so clean and well rehearsed, truly remarkable work by those two every time they're in the ring together. They've had probably close to half a dozen singles matches of 20+ minutes in the last year, and all of them were outstanding and he me on the edge for the finishes. It really is a testament to just how good Cena can be when given the right stage, and how poor Rock's ring work is. Cena v Rock wasn't a good match by any means, it was fun just for the nostalgia and the finish. Punk v Rock both times was an average at best match...but Punk v Cena has been top notch every damn time. I could watch them headline ppvs all year, in all seriousness.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Piper Mark

I am glad I am not alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post

Old
02-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

#TeamBrikki

Old
02-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Shoalzie

Great bookends with HHH/Lesnar's bloody brawl and a tremendous Cena/Punk match...solid show and I'm glad there was no Glenn Beck presence to spoil it.

Punk is obviously going to be involved in Mania in some fashion. I don't like the idea of him against Taker. There really isn't a good option for Taker. His best option is to just stop and let the streak stand on its own.

Rock/Cena II will probably be a good match but it just doesn't have the same buzz as last year...and that was without the belt on the line. When Cena wants to go all out, he actually can be a solid performer...I give him a lot of props for the match with Punk last night. I think we're all prepared for Cena to get the belt back.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:10 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
I don't understand how anyone can be sick of Cena/Punk. These guys are just magic when they're in the ring with each other. I can't remember a more consistently excellent long-term program over the past two or three years. Christian/Orton is the only one that even came close in terms of ring work, but that didn't have nearly the emotion or conviction that Cena/Punk does.

Regardless, if the feud is "over" now, they need to revisit it again in the not too distant future. They could sell SEVERAL Wrestlemanias with Cena/Punk consistently as the main event. I think it's the closest thing we'll have to Rock/Austin for a long time.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:15 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
I'm not sure if they're planning on doing Sheamus vs. Barrett or Sheamus & others vs. The Shield. I think Barrett going over Sheamus would help Barrett a lot.
I agree, Barrett isn't a typical "big man" but he would pose a credible threat to Sheamus. They're both good workers and I would really be interested in seeing them go at it in a 15 minute Wrestlemania match.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:18 AM
CaptainCrunch67

I'm still not a big fanof the HHH Lesner segment, not because it didn't look and feel awesome, but because I think at the end of the way it was just more HHH BS that pretty much put Lesner in the backseat.

We know at the end of the day Lesner is going to lose this feud with the McMahon family, its just the way it is.

The way to build it up to me though would have been for HHH to come out for revenge and get some shots in, then gets absolutely destroyed by Lesner. You establish Lesner as a monster that HHH has to be able to rise up to beat, not as guys on at the best equal footings, or at worst as last night showed that a retired 40 some odd year old pot bellied executive can take everything that Lesner can give out and come back for more.

It was stupid ego booking again. Like I said the bust open looked cool, but would have looked cooler if Lesner had prevailed.

The Shield did a much better job on the mic this week, before Elimination chamber they did a promo that actually sucked the energy out of an arena.

That last match was epic and feature two guys that knew that they weren't going to face each other again for a long time so they basically did everything that they wanted to do in a blow off match. Cena pulled every card out of his pocket and put it on the table and Punk was entirely unselfish in that match. It was great.

Where Punk goes from here is the question, while I think the only logic opponent is the Undertaker, I would love to see a heel versus heel Zigglar match with the briefcase on the line.

Speaking of that, Ryback is terrible, absolute garbage, I'm already tired of him, Zigglar had to drag a halfway decent match out of him, but sadly Zigglar has lost all of his heat and become basically the guy that nobody cares about anymore.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
RussianRocket10

Imagine what Vince's reaction would have been if Punk broke Cena's neck on that piledriver just weeks before his WM match with The Rock.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
Yup, just checked Wikipedia. He managed the Blu brothers first and then JBL when he was doing the Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw character. I was watching WWE pretty regularly at the time but I don't remember Zeb at all.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Snipeshow

Ziggler/Punk has a lot of potential. It's a step back for Punk considering he just held the title for 400+ days but could bode extremely well for Ziggler moving forward. Considering Punk won't be in the title picture for a little while (can't see him and Cena starting another feud post-Wrestlemania) if gives him a chance to hopefully push Ziggler into the Main Event picture.

I'm intrigued. Ziggler winning his MitB cash-in and have Punk feud with him for the WHC for a bit while Cena does his thing with the WWE Championship works for me.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Dean Ambrose
k

vCash: 133
Lesnar's gonna go over

Old
02-26-2013, 01:59 PM
The Man in White

vCash: 126
Hell of a match. I had to shake my head when Cole called the crossface an STF. And a piledriver!!! So awesome.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Imagine what Vince's reaction would have been if Punk broke Cena's neck on that piledriver just weeks before his WM match with The Rock.
Hahah We dare not think.

An epic burial.

Closed Thread