Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 09:27 PM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
With each passing day, I'm becoming a bigger and bigger Nikita Zadorov fan. If we don't get a crack at any of the perceived elite forwards, I would love to have this bull on our blueline.
There was an update tonight between periods of the Leafs / Flyers game re the draft. Button has moved Drouin to #2 but he is continuing to say how many positive things he is hearing about Valeri Nichushkin and has him at #4.

Interesting to see if the R factor comes into play.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:41 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
There was an update tonight between periods of the Leafs / Flyers game re the draft. Button has moved Drouin to #2 but he is continuing to say how many positive things he is hearing about Valeri Nichushkin and has him at #4.

Interesting to see if MacKinnon is this year's Grigs or Couturier. Mid year #2 and then a quick fall.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Interesting to see if MacKinnon is this year's Grigs or Couturier. Mid year #2 and then a quick fall.
Can't imagine him falling too far. Would be a shock if he went later than #3. He's played ok, and is a dynamic player, it's just Jones and Drouin look sooooo good right now.

Haven't seen anything of Barkov in a long while, wonder how he's playing. I'd be surprised if Nichushkin goes that high. I think some teams would be scared off with his passport, especially with the 'blue-chip' prospects available early in the draft.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:52 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Interesting for that and other aspects too. He may still go 2 overall , we'll see , but Drouin is putting up big numbers without him and a Button keeps emphasizing how elite his ice q and vision are , so having Jones and Drouin above him may not really be a "drop" but I get it of course.

But some team will pick 3ish and truly feel they got the best player overall imo.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Interesting for that and other aspects too. He may still go 2 overall , we'll see , but Drouin is putting up big numbers without him and a Button keeps emphasizing how elite his ice q and vision are , so having Jones and Drouin above him may not really be a "drop" but I get it of course.

But some team will pick 3ish and truly feel they got the best player overall imo.
Agreed.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:40 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hard to say truck but I think the main difference I see this year vs those years is that we have either 3 or 4 players this year that could be deemed a legit 1st overall type pick in most drafts. Certainly Jones, MacKinnon, and Drouin all have what it takes to be a 1st overall. Barkov for my money might be right there as well. To me it's not as much MacKinnon falling like Couturier and Grigs as much as it is other very elite talents rising in a draft where it's crowed at the top.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Jetsfareast

vCash: 695
I will take McKinnon

Kane schiefele McKinnon
Ldd little wheeler
Burmistrov

Enstrom buff
Trouba bogo

Old
02-26-2013, 08:04 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Hard to say truck but I think the main difference I see this year vs those years is that we have either 3 or 4 players this year that could be deemed a legit 1st overall type pick in most drafts. Certainly Jones, MacKinnon, and Drouin all have what it takes to be a 1st overall. Barkov for my money might be right there as well. To me it's not as much MacKinnon falling like Couturier and Grigs as much as it is other very elite talents rising in a draft where it's crowed at the top.
True and I don't believe he will fall as far as those two, but both Grigs and Couturier were seen as head and shoulders above the #3 skater. Both were in 1A / 1B discussions. Both fell out of the top 5.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Huffer

Quote:

I would have a hard time thinking a team would take Nichushkin in the top 4. Nothing against his talent, it's just that the other 4 (Jones, Mac, Drouin, Barkov), are also elite talents, but there are less to no worries about them staying in the KHL. Doesn't seem worth the risk.

Now if your're picking in the teens and interview the kid and think you have a chance at him coming over in a few years (like Tarasenko), I think a lot would roll the dice.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I would have a hard time thinking a team would take Nichushkin in the top 4. Nothing against his talent, it's just that the other 4 (Jones, Mac, Drouin, Barkov), are also elite talents, but there are less to no worries about them staying in the KHL. Doesn't seem worth the risk.

Now if your're picking in the teens and interview the kid and think you have a chance at him coming over in a few years (like Tarasenko), I think a lot would roll the dice.
I'd jump at that if all of the other elite players were off the board by the time we draft. Unless a hard tank ensues, it appears Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov won't be more than a pipe dream.

St. Louis missed not having Tarasenko until he came over, but no one is complaining now. Washington will get immediately better once Kuznetzov arrives, even though they are currently struggling mightily without him.

Adam Kimmelman on nhl.com actually has Nichushkin mocked to us at #8. 6'4" skilled player with a nose for the net. Honestly if we can't get an elite #1 center I'd rather us grab a potentially elite RW than another two way guy like Monahan (who was mocked to us by the other two columnists.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Joe Hallenback

How many European players have the Jets drafted since coming back into the league? Zero.

After talking with some of the Jets scouting staff during the year when they are in Brandon I just can't see them drafting a Russian in the 1st round. I think they really like Shinkaruk for Medicine Hat out of the Dub and they also feel outside of Jones there are at least 6 top 2 Defensemen in the top 20 of the draft

Old
02-26-2013, 09:18 AM
jetkarma

A lot will depend on how teams feel on his NHL dreams/commitment. We've waited 2 years for Scheifele so waiting for a top5-10 pick for 2 years isn't uncommon at all.

That is something each team will make it's own decision on , if the player is as good as indicated and shows desire to play in the NHL he will be a top 10 pick imo.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:23 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
How many European players have the Jets drafted since coming back into the league? Zero.

After talking with some of the Jets scouting staff during the year when they are in Brandon I just can't see them drafting a Russian in the 1st round. I think they really like Shinkaruk for Medicine Hat out of the Dub and they also feel outside of Jones there are at least 6 top 2 Defensemen in the top 20 of the draft
How many times has Craig Heisinger been to Europe this year to scout? Last count it was four, they aren't doing that so he can get frequent flier points. It all depends where they draft , I highly doubt they would pass on a Lindholm at the correct spot for them . Saying that , there is a lot of North American talent so going that route also would not at all surprise me either.

Please let us know who your top 2 pairing D men are for this draft , thanks.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:

Six top pair defense holy cow. I'd heard Shinkaruk compared to Kessel just yesterday is that in any way accurate?

I do know the Jets haven't drafted any Europeans, but I'd heard that Zinger took several trips out to Europe for scouting. Not sure what the reasoning for taking zero Europeans, but I don't suspect it is any more than having zero trust in Atlanta's old Euro scouts. I'll take your word about picking a Russian in the first though.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:30 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
True and I don't believe he will fall as far as those two, but both Grigs and Couturier were seen as head and shoulders above the #3 skater. Both were in 1A / 1B discussions. Both fell out of the top 5.
True I didn't follow it very closely leading up to the Couturier draft and I believe he had mono that year and a pi55 poor WJC (3 points in 7 games) if I am correct? I was not as surprised by Grigs last year.....say what you will but I sense the Russian factor is alive and well for some organizations. Also they had that rumor surface that he was older than his birth certificate said which was a bit strange. Grigs fell allot further than I expected but I know I would have been livid at the time if we passed on Trouba to take Grigs. I would have been fine with Forsberg but wanted Trouba and was shocked he was still there based on some of the D men taken before him?

I don't think MacKinnon is playing himself out of the top 3 yet but there are some great looking assets in the 4, 5, and 6 spots so who knows truck it would surprise me though because MacKinnon is a beast.

Last edited by ps241: 02-26-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old
02-26-2013, 09:41 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

The more I think about it, if the JETS miss out on Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan, the guy I want is Frederik Gauthier or Nikita Zadorov.

Another guy who I think will be a steal later in the 1st round (23 - 30) is Curtis Lazar. If the JETS are out of it at the deadline and there was any way to package Hainsey and Antropov to a contender for their 1st, Chevy has got to pull that off.

There's bound to be a contender that could use these two vets right??? San Jose, Anaheim, Vancouver, St. Louis? How about Pittsburgh or Boston? C'mon Chevy weave some of your voodoo magic and make it happen.

As far as Nichushkin goes, I would pass. The Russian factor is there whether teams readily admit it or not. He is no doubt talented, but I'd hate to be the team that gambled on him and have him jerk you around or pull something like Radulov. JETS cannot afford to miss on their 1st in this draft.

I'd feel safer taking Zadorov although I'm not sure why because even though he is playing in the CHL, he could pull the KHL thing for contract leverage just like any other Russian.

Last edited by untouchable21: 02-26-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old
02-26-2013, 10:05 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
The more I think about it, if the JETS miss out on Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan, the guy I want is Frederik Gauthier or Nikita Zadorov.

Another guy who I think will be a steal later in the 1st round (23 - 30) is Curtis Lazar. If the JETS are out of it at the deadline and there was any way to package Hainsey and Antropov to a contender for their 1st, Chevy has got to pull that off.

There's bound to be a contender that could use these two vets right??? San Jose, Anaheim, Vancouver, St. Louis? How about Pittsburgh or Boston? C'mon Chevy weave some of your voodoo magic and make it happen.
I just don't see most organizations giving up a 1st round this year at the deadline and the main reason is with the new lowered cap whether teams like it or not there is going to be an increasing pressure to draft and develop. Also this appears to be a much better draft.

The only team that might do it would need to feel they can win this year, be desperate for a top 4 D man that is unrestricted, and have amazing prospect depth in their organization which would allow them to sacrifice a 1st round pick in a great draft year.

If we are still in the hunt for a playoff spot come April 3rd I am not sure we will be selling.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
How many times has Craig Heisinger been to Europe this year to scout? Last count it was four, they aren't doing that so he can get frequent flier points. It all depends where they draft , I highly doubt they would pass on a Lindholm at the correct spot for them . Saying that , there is a lot of North American talent so going that route also would not at all surprise me either.

Please let us know who your top 2 pairing D men are for this draft , thanks.
I would say he is trying to fill the gap because they probably don't trust their current scouting staff in Europe.

I mean they have to do their homework on players but I think there philosophy is to draft closer to home and I would guess drafting Russians early is something they would not do.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:29 AM
jetkarma

Also as we have mentioned , if Hainsey is traded , who replaces him? he has value , Wpg. has to determine if he will resign at the value they are good with. Any pick for him is 3 years away probably , we need a LHD , if he goes , who replaces him?

Old
02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
I would say he is trying to fill the gap because they probably don't trust their current scouting staff in Europe.

I mean they have to do their homework on players but I think there philosophy is to draft closer to home and I would guess drafting Russians early is something they would not do.

While I think their philosphy is to draft North American as a preference I doubt it precludes drafting talent from elsewhere.

With last year being such a rush , for all aspects , it would not surprise me that True North didn't think they had a strong enough read on players from overseas. If that is true they would have felt it best to draft where they had the strongest conviction. I have to think they will draft a player from overseas this year , we shall see.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:39 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
As far as Nichushkin goes, I would pass. The Russian factor is there whether teams readily admit it or not. He is no doubt talented, but I'd hate to be the team that gambled on him and have him jerk you around or pull something like Radulov. JETS cannot afford to miss on their 1st in this draft.

I'd feel safer taking Zadorov although I'm not sure why because even though he is playing in the CHL, he could pull the KHL thing for contract leverage just like any other Russian.
I completely agree with the bolded part....I really like what I see in Zadorov and Hunter's ringing endosment doesn't hurt. I know BPA is the way to go but having a huge elite LH shut down D an fits our long term needs like a glove as well.

As to Joe's point I assume the Jets scouting staff might have Zadorov, Ristolainen, Nurse, Pulock, Morrissey, Mueller, and maybe Hagg in the mix for that cluster of 6 top 2 D men?

Old
02-26-2013, 10:41 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I just don't see most organizations giving up a 1st round this year at the deadline and the main reason is with the new lowered cap whether teams like it or not there is going to be an increasing pressure to draft and develop. Also this appears to be a much better draft.

The only team that might do it would need to feel they can win this year, be desperate for a top 4 D man that is unrestricted, and have amazing prospect depth in their organization which would allow them to sacrifice a 1st round pick in a great draft year.

If we are still in the hunt for a playoff spot come April 3rd I am not sure we will be selling.

I see what you're saying, but in the hunt or not, I'd be pissed if they don't extend Hainsey or sell him off and gain an asset or two. If he can't agree to an extension, Chevy has to get an something for him.

If we're not sellers, he can get Hainsey's replacement from someone who is selling. Just has to be someone to replace his minutes doesn't have to be better than Hainsey. It's not like we're expecting a deep playoff run anyways.

Hawks have some pretty good prospect depth. Maybe one of their top four D get hurt before the deadline. They have a good working relationship with Chevy so maybe they come calling again. Who knows, we'll see what the next month has in store.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:00 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
[/B]

I see what you're saying, but in the hunt or not, I'd be pissed if they don't extend Hainsey or sell him off and gain an asset or two. If he can't agree to an extension, Chevy has to get an something for him.

If we're not sellers, he can get Hainsey's replacement from someone who is selling. Just has to be someone to replace his minutes doesn't have to be better than Hainsey. It's not like we're expecting a deep playoff run anyways.

Hawks have some pretty good prospect depth. Maybe one of their top four D get hurt before the deadline. They have a good working relationship with Chevy so maybe they come calling again. Who knows, we'll see what the next month has in store.
I don't like burning an asset if we are realistically out of the playoff picture but we also don't want to get the stink of being sellers when we are in position to make the playoffs. That could impair our ability to lock up RFA's long term or attract UFA's this summer. Also I think our core group of players would benefit allot from any playoff action and as a group the value in us taking the next step can also not be underestimated. If we have a bad month and are clearly out of the playoff hunt "AND" can't get Hainsey extended then I would agree we should move him.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
While I think their philosphy is to draft North American as a preference I doubt it precludes drafting talent from elsewhere.

With last year being such a rush , for all aspects , it would not surprise me that True North didn't think they had a strong enough read on players from overseas. If that is true they would have felt it best to draft where they had the strongest conviction. I have to think they will draft a player from overseas this year , we shall see.
I think they want to be careful. That probably means they felt they didn't have the guys in place in Europe that they could trust just yet.

I think they want guys with high end work ethics,good leaders and play with a bit of toughness in their game. I think they are looking at some of there euro guys in the minors and not liking what they are seeing.

I guess if it comes down to Lindholm and Monahan at their draft position I think they draft Monahan because of those things the Jets Value right now.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:41 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
As several of us have mentioned on here , there may have been reasons we didn't have any European selections the first two years.

Craig Heisinger recently went over to Europe , for the fourth time this season to scout , so lets see what happens this draft.
Yeah, I haven't been following your posts.

Closed Thread