HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

The automatic point and the Blackhawks streak

Old
02-26-2013, 08:20 AM
shifting

vCash: 500
The automatic point and the Blackhawks streak

I can't stand the Hawks. I have to give them credit though, this streak is impressive.

That being said, this overtime setup is promoting passive play too much in the last stages of the 3rd period. I watched last nights game against the Oilers. 5 minutes left and both teams stopped taking chances. Edmonton didn't want to go for the win to break the streak because every point is important. They aren't that far out of the playoffs.

The Hawks were content with 1 point and the possibility of 2. Both teams are being forced to become accomplices in complacency. At regulation end the Hawks got a standing O from much of the crowd at the Stadium. I understand why, but is this really what the NHL wants?

OT should not guarantee a point. Get rid of shootouts. Switch sides in OT so that each team's bench as it the opposite side of the red line. 4 on 4 for 5 minutes. If no winner, then a tie with 1 point for each team. No points if you lose.

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

vCash: 50
Switching sides in OT is a great start. Should have been instituted.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:29 AM
needzmoarcleary
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
I can't stand the Hawks. I have to give them credit though, this streak is impressive.

That being said, this overtime setup is promoting passive play too much in the last stages of the 3rd period. I watched last nights game against the Oilers. 5 minutes left and both teams stopped taking chances. Edmonton didn't want to go for the win to break the streak because every point is important. They aren't that far out of the playoffs.

The Hawks were content with 1 point and the possibility of 2. Both teams are being forced to become accomplices in complacency. At regulation end the Hawks got a standing O from much of the crowd at the Stadium. I understand why, but is this really what the NHL wants?

OT should not guarantee a point. Get rid of shootouts. Switch sides in OT so that each team's bench as it the opposite side of the red line. 4 on 4 for 5 minutes. If no winner, then a tie with 1 point for each team. No points if you lose.
I am not a hawks fan either and am impressed with the streak as well. Now you say being to passive, I would say playing smarter. I mean think of it if you were a coach do you try and take a risk at stealing the two points but possibly loosing and getting none. Or do you tell the guys if you have a chance take it, but think defense first. Its part of how the system is set up. Teams that need to steal that one point in a tied game are going to play like that by default.

needzmoarcleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:46 AM
shifting

Believe me, it is smart. When given a set of circumstances, coaches in the NHL will always try to be prudent. Maybe passivity wasn't the right term for the approach to the game. I just know as a spectator, it isn't great to watch.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:50 AM
needzmoarcleary
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
Believe me, it is smart. When given a set of circumstances, coaches in the NHL will always try to be prudent. Maybe passivity wasn't the right term for the approach to the game. I just know as a spectator, it isn't great to watch.
Yea it's pretty much a byproduct of how the system is set up. As a wings fan there have been games where I just wanted them to stay in the hunt to get to OT so we could get that extra point, granted they ended up loosing more times than not I was still happy they got the point so it kind of goes both ways, seeing them make it to OT in some games was a sigh of relief lol.

needzmoarcleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Alklha

The current set up is beyond stupid. There is no logical argument that can be put forward to suggest that an OT/SO loss should be worth more than a regulation loss if both a regulation win and OT/SO win have the same value.

The NHL will not go back to ending games in a tie, that is completely off the table. I'm hugely in favour of moving to the 3 points for a regulation win.

Hockey is meant to be 60 minutes, and if you get through that in the regular season without losing then you deserve something. The fact the League is desperate to define a winner in every game shouldn't punish teams that don't lose in regulation. It just shouldn't reward those who win in OT/SO equally to those who get the job done in regulation.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
The current set up is beyond stupid. There is no logical argument that can be put forward to suggest that an OT/SO loss should be worth more than a regulation loss if both a regulation win and OT/SO win have the same value.

The NHL will not go back to ending games in a tie, that is completely off the table. I'm hugely in favour of moving to the 3 points for a regulation win.

Hockey is meant to be 60 minutes, and if you get through that in the regular season without losing then you deserve something. The fact the League is desperate to define a winner in every game shouldn't punish teams that don't lose in regulation. It just shouldn't reward those who win in OT/SO equally to those who get the job done in regulation.
I agree with everything written here.

3-2-1 system would work best.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
shifting

I could live with 3-2-1. I am sick of shootouts though.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:36 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I expect the 3-2-1 system to be implemented at some point. I think this current system is better than the previous one with ties. Teams would be so passive during the last 5 minutes of the game and in overtime. It was unbelievably boring. At least in this system, once teams get into OT, it opens up a bit, especially for teams that are not good in shootouts. They have every motivation to go for it in OT. I like that.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:51 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post

This. Well said, Thank you.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:03 PM
underslept

I was just thinking this last night as I watched the Hawks game hoping they would lose in OT so we could end their streak. The system needs to be changed. The Hawks have been playing well but eight of their games have gone to OT and that's where close to half of their wins have come. Clearly, the system can be abused and benefit a team too much.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:53 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Win's a win. Whether or not the regulation win and the OT/SO win deserve to count as much as a regulation win? That's where the real question is.

Very impressive, what they've done.

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:08 PM
dlrob315

Send a message via ICQ to dlrob315
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Switching sides in OT is a great start. Should have been instituted.
Back in the day when OT was first instituted teams did switch sides but the goalies were digging trenches in the crease right at the end of regulation before they switched sides so they stop switching.

dlrob315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:15 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrob315 View Post
Back in the day when OT was first instituted teams did switch sides but the goalies were digging trenches in the crease right at the end of regulation before they switched sides so they stop switching.

I've never heard that before. Sounds about right.

bluemandan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:34 PM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 113
I like the idea of each team gets a point at the end of reg, winner in OT gets the second point. If it goes to a shoot out, the losing team looses their point and gets nothing. While that wouldn't solve the problem the OP wrote about at the end of regulation, it could open things up a little more in OT for teams that historically don't fair well in the SO.

HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Penosity

It's a slow day so I did some math on what would be the 3-2-1 totals so far this season:

W = 3pts
OTW = 2 pts
OTL = 1 pt

1. Chicago - 46 pts...........11 W, 5 OTW, 3 OTL
2. Anaheim - 38 pts..........9 W, 5 OTW, 3 L, 1 OTL
3. Vancouver - 31 pts........7 W, 3 OTW, 5 L, 4 OTL
4. Los Angeles - 31 pts.....9 W, 1 OTW, 6 L, 2 OTL
5. Detroit - 29 pts...........8 W, 1 OTW, 8 L, 3 OTL
6. Dallas - 29 pts.............7W, 3 OTW, 8 L, 2 OTL
7. Phoenix - 28 pts...........7 W, 2 OTW, 7 L, 3 OTL
8. St. Louis - 28 pts..........6 W, 4 OTW, 6 L, 2 OTL
------------------------------------------------------------
9. San Jose - 27 pts.........6 W, 3 OTW, 6 L, 3 OTL
10. Nashville - 27 pts........4 W, 5 OTW, 7 L, 5 OTL
11. Minnesota - 25 pts.......5 W, 4 OTW, 7 L, 2 OTL

Compared to the current system:

1. Chicago - 35
2. Anaheim - 29
3. Vancouver - 24
4. Nashville - 23
5. Los Angeles - 22
6. St. Louis 22
7. Dallas - 22
8. San Jose - 21
--------------------
9. Phoenix - 21
10. Detroit - 21
Minnesota - 20

Predators and Sharks would currently be out of the playoffs in a 3-2-1.
Nashville would drop from 4th to 10th! That's drastic.

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:19 AM
shifting

Nice work