HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers and Gagner working on extension: [UPD: Elected Arbitration]

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Broilers

vCash: 500
Gagner's next contract: How much, how long?

Sam seems to our number one center by scoring points. He is producing point/game. I think he is asking both long term and big money. What is your opinion to following things.

1. How much?
I think that we do not have chance to get him under 5M. Otherwise he is taking us to arbitration and walk away as a UFA in 2014

2. How Long?
I think he is not going to accept less than 5 years

3. Should we trade him
I don't think so. He can be excelent number 2 center in the contending team. Only way we will trade him is if he asks Eberle and Hall equivalent money.

conclusion 5M for 5-6 years is optimal.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:43 AM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

$5 x 5 is what I would give him. It is affordable in the future and is tradeable if need be. Hopefully he would accept it but given his great season so far, who knows.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Frustratedoilfan

vCash: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post
$5 x 5 is what I would give him. It is affordable in the future and is tradeable if need be. Hopefully he would accept it but given his great season so far, who knows.
With Hall, Eberle, and one can assume Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, and the young Schultz all getting or expected to get substantial contracts, 5x5 is not affordable. IF that is what Gagner will be looking for, I wish him luck on getting it on whatever team he is traded to - and, for the record, I do like Gagner. "Accept it"... I will be quite disappointed/frustrated if Tambellini even offers it.

Admittedly, I am 'one of those' that don't see Gagner as the 2nd line center that this team needs. A good player no doubt, but not the player the team needs. He is kind of like the Batman at the end of the 2nd movie, "he's the [player Edmonton] deserves, but not the one it needs..." This is my opinion - and citing his points or his heart is not going to change my mind, because I agree that he is putting up the points and he has a lot of heart.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:48 AM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
I would take him to arbitration and then see what he can do next season before handing out 5+ million to him

Old
02-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Dr_oil

I think he will be part of a trade to address some of this teams needs before he gets another contract. The Oilers can't afford to spend big money on a 2nd line center that leaves us too small up the middle and isn't a big difference maker in a game. I like Sam and he is getting his points but he really can't change momentum or take a game into his hands to make that difference every team needs some nights.

For that, I think he will finally be traded either at the deadline or next summer before he gets a new contract with the Oilers.

I say this as a compliment to him though. He is playing so well that he deserves a good contract and term but that contract and term for him just doesn't fit on this team.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:04 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeoilfan View Post
With Hall, Eberle, and one can assume Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, and the young Schultz all getting or expected to get substantial contracts, 5x5 is not affordable. IF that is what Gagner will be looking for, I wish him luck on getting it on whatever team he is traded to - and, for the record, I do like Gagner. "Accept it"... I will be quite disappointed/frustrated if Tambellini even offers it.

Admittedly, I am 'one of those' that don't see Gagner as the 2nd line center that this team needs. A good player no doubt, but not the player the team needs. He is kind of like the Batman at the end of the 2nd movie, "he's the [player Edmonton] deserves, but not the one it needs..." This is my opinion - and citing his points or his heart is not going to change my mind, because I agree that he is putting up the points and he has a lot of heart.
5 X 5 is affordable, especially considering that, after next year, the cap will be going up again anyway. He`s had his best year so far, and if we decide to not trade him, 5 X 5 is reasonable. I`d see what other teams are offering though. If we can somehow get a 2nd pair d-man and a big 2nd or 3rd liner, like a Nick Foligno, I`d be all over it.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:04 AM
GMofOilers

4 x 4.25 M cant see why we would pay him Kessler money as a #2 center. So just a notch below.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:05 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I would take him to arbitration and then see what he can do next season before handing out 5+ million to him
Arbitration is risky though. Arbitration awarded Clark MacArthur over 2 million for 30 points. And if I`m not mistaken, teams can`t walk away from arbitration rulings anymore, so we could be stuck with a 6 million dollar contract and a guy who is becoming a UFA the next year.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:19 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I'd try 3-4 years for X 4.25-4.5 if possible. If he was worth 5 mill, we'd be scoring more goals and winning more goals. His 5 on 5 play is nasty. His +/- is brutal.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:25 AM
DK28

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeoilfan View Post

Count me as another "one of those" who believes Gagner is not the 2nd line centre the oilers need. He would be a great centre behind a bigger number #1 and part of a top 6 group that already has size. The oilers are simply too small up front and with Nugent-Hopkins being on the smaller side, the second line centre needs to offer size and physical play. Gagner, as talented and offensively gifted as he may be, does not offer that.

If the numbers are $5 per ..that is too much for a player that does not fit the role the oilers need. Especially, when your number 1 centre is due for a new contract in the next year, and another top 2 defenceman, whoever that may be, will need to be paid well, and the other young players needing cap space. Justin Schultz will not be on a EL contract forever. It just does not work in a salary cap world. Tough decisions ahead. as of now I cannot envision this team competing in an intense physical tough stanley cup playoff.

Last edited by DK28: 02-26-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old
02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
2yrs 3mill/per.

Hopefully we have a real 2nd line C by the time his contract is up.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Package him while he's RFA and his value is high for a top pairing dman or Jordan Staal type 2nd line center.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:52 AM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
2yrs 3mill/per.

So you think Gagner is going to take a pay decrease after this year (which is shaping up to be, so far, easily his best in the NHL)? Alright then...

Old
02-26-2013, 11:54 AM
joestevens29

3years at 4mil?

Old
02-26-2013, 11:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
So you think Gagner is going to take a pay decrease after this year (which is shaping up to be, so far, easily his best in the NHL)? Alright then...
Only way he takes a decrease is if you give him a NMC.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

3 years 12 mil.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:59 AM
GMofOilers

Even though I said 4 at 4.25 I dont think it happens. Its going to be more than that.

Can you imagine the conversation last year for the 1 yr deal? I can, now its up to the Oilers to live up to their word cause Sam is living up to his right now.

I wouldnt be surprised if Sam holds out for 5 M just like ROR is and rightfully so.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:01 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Only way he takes a decrease is if you give him a NMC.
He doesn't take a decrease at all. Nor should he. (unless his season completely derails)

Old
02-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Even though I said 4 at 4.25 I dont think it happens. Its going to be more than that.

Can you imagine the conversation last year for the 1 yr deal? I can, now its up to the Oilers to live up to their word cause Sam is living up to his right now.

I wouldnt be surprised if Sam holds out for 5 M just like ROR is and rightfully so.
If that was the case, I would let him test the RFA market, and sign/trade for O'Reilly and give him that money.

What picks would we get for Gags if someone gave him 5 mil as an RFA?

Old
02-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
2yrs 3mill/per.

So he takes a paycut after the best season of his career?

More likely 4.0-4.25 for 3 years. I think he'd sign for that personally.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
I dont really care. If he wants to play those are the terms.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:37 PM
topchowda

Him having a great year in a shortened year before FA has consquences. Hell want to be paid like a 65 point guy when hes only a 45-50 in his career. Personally, I think hell wnat a long term deal and with Yakupov/ RNH/Schultz needing deals I dont see how they squeeze Gagner in to.

I think he gets dealt if hes asking too much or get a larger amount of $$ on a shorter 2-3 year term.

If you give him 5 mil X 2 seasons it wont ruin your bank. I relaize hell be overpaid but you can use those 2 seasons to see if hes for real. If so, find a big LW to play second line and keep Gagner.

My order of priority

1) Trade for a bigger #2c or defensively relaible
2) Sign for 2 years
3) Long term deal

Old
02-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
I dont really care. If he wants to play those are the terms.
Well then...thanks for coming out Tambo!

Old
02-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

He is still tied for 18th in scoring if it is like this after 48 games his agent will be asking for 5mil .

Old
02-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Six in O6

4x4 or 5x4

Closed Thread