HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Your team's BEST and WORST trades of ALL TIME

Old
02-25-2013, 11:11 PM
thinkinfeller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffansince1961 View Post
Everyone keeps saying Kurvers for Nidermayer......not too many people realize it was Kurvers + prospects for Lindros + veterans.

Toronto got Michel Petit, Lucien DeBlois, Aaron Broten and sent Quebec Scott Pearson, 1991 second round pick, 1992 second round pick......just to get a couple of points......Toronto finished 2nd last to Quebec that year.

I'm glad someone realizes what really happened.
I'm not sure if this is being said to make the Kurvers deal appear better for the Leafs or worse for the Leafs - but it's completely hypothetical and unnecessary to the conversation. I'm sure many of us have read "Why the Leafs Still Suck" and are familliar with what you're speculating on.

20+ years later, I think it would be difficult to say that the Leafs would have been any better or any worse off had they lost out on Lindros instead of Niedermayer. It was a bad trade either way.

I suppose it's equally difficult to assess how bad a trade really was from one teams perspective when you're talking about draft picks and what they eventually turn into. If the Leafs had retained their first round selection in 1991, there is no guarantee we would have taken Nierdermayer. As a fan who is all too familliar with the sensability of Leafs brass on draft day, I'm more prone to believe we would have chosen Scott Lachance or Aaron Ward. I believe this is also true with the Kessel deal. It would be difficult to argue that the Leafs wouldn't have chosen Seguin with the #2 pick in 2010, but there are no guarantees that they would have drafted Doug Hamilton in 2011, and for my money he's the guy out of the 3 Boston picked who could make this deal look ugly 5 years down the road.

thinkinfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:18 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
Pens

Best: John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski, Jeff Parker for Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson, Grant Jennings....went on to win Cup

Worst: trading Jagr for garbage and money because they were going bankrupt
While I think you're best is the best the Pens ever did, the Neal deal is
up there.

And I don't know why, but think the Naslund deal was worse. Guess because with Jagr we HAD to trade him, and looking back the other deals would've been nothing (rembember everyone pissed we didn't take Lundmark/Brendl from the Rangers?).

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:05 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Best - Gilmour trade

Worst - Tom Kurvers from NJ for a 1st rounder (Scott Niedermayer)

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

Dream come true.

Voracek + Couturier + Schenn + Simmonds + Cousins for Carter and Richards.

Love all players involved and we wouldn't have won with them anyways. Glad they won in LA and for the NTh time we didn't trade them both to LA so that whole cup argument is nonsense. But trade worked out incredible for both teams and I would make both of those trades 10/10 times. Carter is going HAM so far too. Good for him.

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:52 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Interesting. You say that Kessel couldn't help us win anything - yet he has been a huge part of our success (good offensive) even in our bad years and has been a dynamic playmaker throughout his years in Toronto. Even this year without him scoring a ton of goals, he has been excellent for us. Not to mention he is one of the most prolific goal scorers in the last 4 years in the NHL.

Then you say we would have been better not doing that as we "lost" the trade regarding the players that boston picked (ignoring AGAIN AS WE HAVE TO EVERY TIME that it was NOT THESE PLAYERS we traded for kessel, it was unknown draft picks), what has really held Toronto back is not having a #1 goalie and a franchise shut-down defenseman - none of which were part of this trade. Dougie Hamilton MIGHT be this one day, but at times he has been downright awful this year. Seguin is a good player but still not at Kessel's level and who knows where he will go.

The Rask for Raycroft trade is FAR WORSE than Kessel trade AINEFC, as Raycroft was HORRID and Rask has looked awesome. In the Kessel trade we got a FRANCHISE WINGER, who scores 30 goals per season. It amazes me how CLUELESS people are when it comes to this trade and rating it's merit. Would I undo it? Maybe. Did I agree with it at the time? Hell no. Is it the worst in our history or even in the same stratosphere? Not even close, no matter how much you want it to be or however many quotes YOU use.
He has not, for one MOMENT been "awful". Not once. That is Leaf fan wishful thinking.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:56 AM
redwings87

The Chelios and Vernon trades would be up there for Detroit, I think the trade with Nashville involving swapping 3rd round picks is up there for me. Ended up drafting Filppula and Nashville picked Shafigulin (sp?). Another runner up would be the Stuart trade (don't recall the picks we gave up but Stuart was solid for us)

The worst trade that I can think of was trading for Robert Lang. Washington used the first round pick to select Mike Green...

Another potential win for the Wings would be the trade with Ottawa with us giving up a first (Puempel) for 2 2nd round picks (Ouelett and Jurco)

redwings87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:13 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
The Leafs didn't trade Seguin, Knight, and Hamilton for Kessel - they traded two 1sts and a 2nd. Not a bad deal considering it would have cost us two 1sts and two 2nds if we had offer sheeted this player who has gone on to record over 100 goals in a Leafs uniform since the deal was completed.

Best Trade(s):
The 10 player Gilmour swap
Felix Potvin for Bryan Berard
Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner

Worst Trade(s):
1st round pick (Niedermayer) for Tom Kurvers
Russ Courtnall for John Kordic
Jason Smith for a mid round draft choice
Rask for Raycroft
You are wrong. Had we signed Kessel to an offersheet the compensation would have been 1st, 2nd and 3rd. And if you dont want to include the Kessel trade because it was only picks and not actual players, why then include the Kurvers trade?

I do think trading those picks for Kessel will go down as one of the worst trades in Leafs history. First of all the timing of the trade was terrible. A team lacking a #1 C, #1 D and a #1 goalie who did not even have a captain and who the GM took every chance he had telling every one how bad they where and how soft they played. Then he takes this bottom teams 2 first rounders in the next drafts and trade them for a soft goal scoring winger with out leadership qualities. How could that turn the franchise around?

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:34 AM
NYR1967

Best in my lifetime:

Ryan McDonagh and Chris Higgins for Scott Gomez

Mark Messier for Bernie Nicholls, Steven Rice and Louie DeBrusk

Worst in my lifetime:

Mike Ridley and Kelly Miller for Bobby Carpenter

Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge

Sergei Zubov and Petr Nedved for Ulf Samuellson and Luc Robetaille

Trades that won us the cup but were bad over the long haul:

Tony Amonte for Stephane Matteau and Brian Noonan

Doug Weight for Esa Tikkanen

Mike Gartner for Glenn Anderson

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:10 AM
MakoSlade

Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohoDonuts88 View Post
NJD

Best: Tom Kurvers for Toronto's 1st (Scott Niedermayer)

Worst: Honestly tough to say a truly awful trade for NJ. Pat Verbeek to Hartford for Sylvain Turgeon, although Turgeon scored 30 in his one season in NJ, and was flipped to MTL for Claude Lemieux. Back to Rockies days, the 1980 1st round pick swap with Montreal that involved Sean Shanahan to Colorado but gave the Canadiens the 1st overall pick is the worst trade in franchise history. Habs screwed the pick, but Dave Babych, Denis Savard, Larry Murphy or Paul Coffey all could have been had.
Luckily since Lou took over the bombs haven't been too bad, but before it was ridiculous. How about a 1st round pick (LaFontaine) to the Isles for Lewis and Lorimer? How can a terrible team trade a future first for two aging middle-of-the-pack defensemen? And I recall Beck and Ramage playing for the Rockies at one point...how can you lose two potential cornerstone defensemen and have nothing to show for it?

And best...Kurvers for a first is right up there for sure. How about Turgeon for Lemieux? Or the pick swap that got the Devils Brodeur? Moves that brought Cups to NJ.

MakoSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:11 AM
vatali
Life Long Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
I'd say, value wise, the best trade for the Blues was the Gretzky deal.

Craig Johnson, Patrice Tardiff, Roman Vopat, a 5th and a 1st for the (arguably) greatest player of all time? Who knew then that Keenan would screw it up bad enough that we'd lose him after a few dozen games. The value was a grand slam for the Blues.

Worst of all-time is the Pronger deal. The Courtnall deal was awful to, but in terms of value, Pronger was one of the best defenseman in the league.
I don't know how you can leave out the DET trade of a washed up Ferderko and Tony Mckegny for Adam Oates. This is the one ill remember as the best trade. The Hull trade, while giving STL a new arena and a crap ton of money, gave away the cup to CAL. Those parts wouldn't have brought the cup here but giving it to CAL always seems to make the Hull trade lesser.

vatali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Thrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings87 View Post
The Chelios and Vernon trades would be up there for Detroit, I think the trade with Nashville involving swapping 3rd round picks is up there for me. Ended up drafting Filppula and Nashville picked Shafigulin (sp?). Another runner up would be the Stuart trade (don't recall the picks we gave up but Stuart was solid for us)

The worst trade that I can think of was trading for Robert Lang. Washington used the first round pick to select Mike Green...

Another potential win for the Wings would be the trade with Ottawa with us giving up a first (Puempel) for 2 2nd round picks (Ouelett and Jurco)
Stuart cost us a 2nd and a 4th if memory serves, good value for what he brought to the team for sure.

Regarding the Lang trade, we also gave up Fleischmann in that deal. That said, Lang was leading the league in points when the deal went through and the Wings were hurting at C after Fedorov's departure so even in retrospect I don't think the trade was that bad.

Thrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Best:
Minnesota: O'Sullivan and a 1st for Pavol Demitra. That 1st was Trevor Lewis, O'Sullivan signed in Europe.
NYR: McDonagh. Maybe Gretzky.

Worst:
Minnesota: Nick Leddy and Kim Johnsson for Cam Barker
NYR: Not a trade, but letting Messier go to free agency.
O'Sullivan became Justin Williams through another trade I believe...so win win.

Last edited by Perro: 02-26-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: through
Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Best: Getting Ladd and Byfuglien for scraps

Worst: Coburn for Zhitnik, Hossa for junk, Kovalchuk for junk, Kari Lehtonen for junk

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:51 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
Best: Getting Ladd and Byfuglien for scraps

Worst: Coburn for Zhitnik, Hossa for junk, Kovalchuk for junk, Kari Lehtonen for junk
I forgot about the Ladd trade. Vishnevskiy and a 2nd is pretty good. They at least got a 1st (amongst others) for Byfuglien.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:01 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

worst trade that never happened: maurice richard to the rangers (lester patrick didn't like richard's bum ankle).

i also hated the chelios and roy trade - the last one is kind of a given

Gilbert Dionne, John Leclair, and Eric Desjardins to Philadelphia for Mark Recchi and a second i believe. this one is also in the terribad category.

best trade in my mind was backstrom to the kings for two bags of pucks. made sure the kings stayed second last so we ended up drafting lafleur first overall. granted, dionne was second overall so either way wouldn't have been a big deal.

come to think of it, historically the habs have sucked at trading. thankfully our drafting makes up for it

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:46 AM
redwings87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrace View Post
Stuart cost us a 2nd and a 4th if memory serves, good value for what he brought to the team for sure.

Regarding the Lang trade, we also gave up Fleischmann in that deal. That said, Lang was leading the league in points when the deal went through and the Wings were hurting at C after Fedorov's departure so even in retrospect I don't think the trade was that bad.
I agree at the time we needed to do it, that's the only trade I could think of where we lost out on a player. I'm sure if I look up Detroit trade history I could find a better (worse..) one but Detroit hasn't made too many moves that I could think of a that we really lost on.

Now that I try to think of trades I believe we got Kris Draper for cash. It was for nothing too if I recall (just checked was for $1 - that people question was ever paid...) that goes down as a good trade

Last edited by redwings87: 02-26-2013 at 12:05 PM.
redwings87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
SABRES

Keeping it somewhat recent...

Best:

4) Barrie Moore + Craig Millar to EDM for Miro Satan
3) Michal Grosek to CHI for Doug Gilmour and JP Dumont
2) Chris Gratton to PHX for Danny Briere
1) Stephane Beuregard + 4th rounder to CHI for Dominik Hasek

Worst:

Dominik Hasek to DET for Slava Kozlov + 2012 1st (Danny Paille)
I would change the worst one. Buffalo was handcuffed in that deal with Detroit for Hasek. Hasek limited where he would accept to go thus they couldnt get full market value for him.

I agree on the best trades (maybe not that order)

The issue with the Hasek trade with Chicago was that he was a backup and would forever be a backup....thus his full potential wasnt realized.

some you forgot:

BUF Rhett Warrener +5th round pick (some kid by name of Ryan Miller) to FLA Michael Wilson

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:45 PM
Djp

When bad trades are talked about I sriously lessen it if it was for a run at the playoffs and winning a championship.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:01 PM
CGG

How to build a Stanley Cup winner in 5 simple trades:

Montreal acquires 3rd (Patrick Roy) from Winnipeg for Robert Picard
Montreal acquires Russ Courtnall from Toronto for John Kordic
Montreal acquires Brian Bellows from Minnesota for Russ Courtnall
Montreal acquires Kirk Muller and Roland Melanson from New Jersey for Stephane Richer and Tom Chorske
Montreal acquires Vincent Damphousse + 4th (Adam Wiesel) from Edmonton for Shayne Corson, Brent Gilchrist and Vladimir Vujtek

How to make it more difficult on yourselves by making 2 awful trades while still winning the Stanley Cup soon thereafter:

Montreal trades Chris Chelios and 2nd (Michael Pomichter) to Chicago for Denis Savard
Montreal trades Claude Lemieux to New Jersey for Sylvain Turgeon

How to dismantle a Stanley Cup winner in 8 awful trades:

Montreal trades Brian Bellows to Tampa Bay for Marc Bureau
Montreal trades Guy Carbonneau to St Louis for Jim Montgomery
Montreal trades Stephan Lebeau to Anaheim for Ron Tugnutt
Montreal trades John LeClair, Eric Desjardins and Gilbert Dionne to Philadelphia for Mark Recchi and 3rd (Martin Hohenberger)
Montreal trades Kirk Muller, Matthieu Schneider and Craig Darby to NY Islanders for Pierre Turgeon and Vladimir Malakhov
Montreal trades Patrick Roy and Mike Keane to Colorado for Jocelyn Thibault, Andrei Kovalenko and Martin Rucinsky
Montreal trades Lyle Odelein to New Jersey for Stephane Richer
Montreal trades Vincent Damphousse to San Jose for 1st (Marcel Hossa), 2nd (Kiel McLeod), 5th (Marc-Andre Thinel)

How to make sure your team would continue to suck for years:

Montreal trades Pierre Turgeon, Craig Conroy and Rory Fitzpatrick to St Louis for Shayne Corson and Murray Baron
Montreal trades Mark Recchi to Philadelphia for Dainius Zubrus, 2nd (Matt Carkner) and 6th (Scott Selig)

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Zippy316

Kovalchuk and Salmella for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, and a 1st.

in terms of total steals:

Salvador for an INJURED Cam Janssen and the Kurvers for a 1st (which became Niedermayer)

I don't really think there is a worst trade.

Maybe Lemieux for Steve Thomas?

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Perro

What did San Jose give up for Theo Fleury's rights? I know he never played for them but he was on the sharks one year in EA.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
The best/worst while I've been a Wings fan:

Best: Kris Draper for $1 from Winnipeg.

Worst: Robert Lang from the Caps. I can't remember what it was for (1st round pick in a very deep draft, I believe), but he just didn't work out in Detroit. I've never seen a lazier skate in my life.
I remember when the Wings picked up Lang he was leading theleague in scoring. Thought it was odd it didn't pan out well.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Toronto.

Best: Gilmour trade.

Worst: Dealing Sittler. Dealing Lanny and F'ing over Dave Keon.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
How to build a Stanley Cup winner in 5 simple trades:

Montreal acquires 3rd (Patrick Roy) from Winnipeg for Robert Picard
Montreal acquires Russ Courtnall from Toronto for John Kordic
Montreal acquires Brian Bellows from Minnesota for Russ Courtnall
Montreal acquires Kirk Muller and Roland Melanson from New Jersey for Stephane Richer and Tom Chorske
Montreal acquires Vincent Damphousse + 4th (Adam Wiesel) from Edmonton for Shayne Corson, Brent Gilchrist and Vladimir Vujtek

How to make it more difficult on yourselves by making 2 awful trades while still winning the Stanley Cup soon thereafter:

Montreal trades Chris Chelios and 2nd (Michael Pomichter) to Chicago for Denis Savard
Montreal trades Claude Lemieux to New Jersey for Sylvain Turgeon

How to dismantle a Stanley Cup winner in 8 awful trades:

Montreal trades Brian Bellows to Tampa Bay for Marc Bureau
Montreal trades Guy Carbonneau to St Louis for Jim Montgomery
Montreal trades Stephan Lebeau to Anaheim for Ron Tugnutt
Montreal trades John LeClair, Eric Desjardins and Gilbert Dionne to Philadelphia for Mark Recchi and 3rd (Martin Hohenberger)
Montreal trades Kirk Muller, Matthieu Schneider and Craig Darby to NY Islanders for Pierre Turgeon and Vladimir Malakhov
Montreal trades Patrick Roy and Mike Keane to Colorado for Jocelyn Thibault, Andrei Kovalenko and Martin Rucinsky
Montreal trades Lyle Odelein to New Jersey for Stephane Richer
Montreal trades Vincent Damphousse to San Jose for 1st (Marcel Hossa), 2nd (Kiel McLeod), 5th (Marc-Andre Thinel)

How to make sure your team would continue to suck for years:

Montreal trades Pierre Turgeon, Craig Conroy and Rory Fitzpatrick to St Louis for Shayne Corson and Murray Baron
Montreal trades Mark Recchi to Philadelphia for Dainius Zubrus, 2nd (Matt Carkner) and 6th (Scott Selig)
Dude....you can't have a category such as the bolded without including the Gomez deal.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote