HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Chicago is peaking too early...

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Riddum

vCash: 500
Chicago is peaking too early...

They will come back to earth come playoffs time and lose. Teams that absolutely dominate above and beyond every other teams, tend to deflate come playoffs time and lose. We see it in every sport.

They can't elevate their play more than they already are.

The topic of this thread is a fairly common theory that has been discussed in previous years with different teams and well before the Blackhawks of this year. Please leave the ridicule out of your comments.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 02-26-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Added warning
Old
02-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Discussed this at the bar with some cronies last night.... was pointed out to me last 2 teams who held the record for best starts both went on to win the cup (oilers/ducks).

If it's betting on the Hawks to fall on their face or return to glory... I am betting on glory. The core there has won before and knows what it takes to win.

Chicago is so good, nearly everyone on that teams plays a 200 foot game... real joy to watch.

Boston/Chicago finals, book it.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Who knows what happens? Maybe they go cold for 6 weeks starting Thursday and get hot again right before the playoffs start. Maybe they stay hot through the end of April and get swept in the first round. Nobody knows what is going to happen.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

What are you doing!! LOSE!! LOSE OR WE WON'T WIN!!

Old
02-26-2013, 09:12 AM
ovenbaked

That is definitely a scenario.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:12 AM
needzmoarcleary
#FireHolland

I don't doubt at some point in the season they will slump but overall they have a really good team and are playing very well. If they can keep it going till/through the playoffs is impossible to tell.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:13 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

How do we know this is their peak? That's a good team that's winning games, some of them have been close. Maybe in the playoffs they blow everyone away.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
They will come back to earth come playoffs time and lose. Teams that absolutely dominate above and beyond every other teams, tend to deflate come playoffs time and lose. We see it in every sport.

Where's your proof? Why would you make ridiculous claims like this without any back up info. Doesn't look to bright on your side and seems like you are making a thread just to make a thread.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Well if you say so, it must be true.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Chelios

Quote:

The thing with the Hawks this season, and the thing that has been so impressive to me, is that it is not as though we have a few guys who are just playing out of their minds. If that were happening then I would agree there is no way they could keep this up. But this is not the case. Kane has really been our only consistent player offensively this season. Sharp, Hossa, and Toews have all been hot and cold. Our D-corps has been solid, but again nobody is playing out of their minds. Keith is having a better season than his last 2, but certainly nowhere near his Norris season. Seabrook has been average by his standards, Hjalmarsson and Oduya have been excellent as a second pairing, but nothing mind blowing. Leddy moving down to our 3rd pairing with Rozy allows us to roll 3 pairings without worrying too much about matchups. Our goalies have been solid, but outside of the game against Calgary they have not stolen games.

The reason the Hawks have done as well as they have this season is not because of some incredible individual performances that can't be sustained. The reason they have done so well is their team defence has been incredible. Everyone has bought into the system, and it is working to a T. Team defence is something that can be sustained over the long term. And with the offensive talent on this team, as long as the defence keeps things close they will find a way to win.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:21 AM
MiscBrah

The only issue this season would be a goalie burning out. Except Chicago has balanced their goalies nicely and both are playing extremely well.

Your point is invalid.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:24 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Im sure they will slump at some point, but they will be fine come playoff time. Slump starts on Thursday!

Old
02-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:

You are totally right.

Columbus is doing it right. *Puts life saving down for Blue Jackets to win the cup*

Thanks man !

Old
Riddum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
Well if you say so, it must be true.
You can check my thread history, I've been right plenty of times lol.

Old
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
How do we know this is their peak? That's a good team that's winning games, some of them have been close. Maybe in the playoffs they blow everyone away.
Unless the Hawks are playing Al Qaida next, I think this is as much 'peak' as a team can get.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Some teams go hot for the entire 2nd half of a season. Let's see what happens in the 2nd half.....

oh wait

Old
02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I would understand this if it were 3 weeks till the playoffs start. Teams that get really hot in the middle of March always seem to cool off at the wrong time.

But it's February... they could go on a month-long cold streak and still have plenty of time to recover before the playoffs even begin. If anything, the lead they're building will allow them to rest up during the stretch run and be nice and fresh for that first round opponent.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Unless the Hawks are playing Al Qaida next, I think this is as much 'peak' as a team can get.
As crazy as it sounds, if the Big-4 on offence all start clicking at once, than the Hawks could conceivably get better. Its not as though they are blowing teams out of the water right now.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Your premise flies in the face of any logic.

I love how you draw on "every sport" as well, as if play in the NFL should be influential in the Blackhawks taking nights off (which is essentially what you're suggesting).

Frightening.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:35 AM
crazyhawk

Quote:
Regardless of your history your statement is conjecture.
A case can be made for the opposite quite easily as has already been mentioned in this thread where 4 of the 5 top record making teams who started off their season with this kind of run ended up winning the cup. Of course anything can happen but given the fact that the Hawks are winning by committee and are winning at home and on the road and have yet to be beaten during regulation or OT kind of hints that they are doing something right. I'm just going to enjoy the ride regardless of the route it takes.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:36 AM
CHLLL Penguin

Quote:
Are you saying Chicago won't win the cup? Bold prediction. I'll follow up your bold prediction with one of my own. The best team in the east right now, Montreal, won't win the cup. Peaking too early.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:39 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Discussed this at the bar with some cronies last night.... was pointed out to me last 2 teams who held the record for best starts both went on to win the cup (oilers/ducks).

If it's betting on the Hawks to fall on their face or return to glory... I am betting on glory. The core there has won before and knows what it takes to win.

Chicago is so good, nearly everyone on that teams plays a 200 foot game... real joy to watch.

Boston/Chicago finals, book it.
The Hawks lost against the Canucks in their first meeting in the SO. The Canucks had a 5.4 million dollar second line in that game. (No Kelser or Booth)

The Hawks still couldn't beat the Canucks in regulation in their second meeting.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Sorry to interupt here... but the Hawks aren't peaking already. Just look at how "bad" Sharp plays so far, Bolland is almost a no show, Seabrook isn't close to what he can do. Right now, the team plays with fire and passion. They outplayed most of the teams so far. It looks like they are on a mission this year. They underperformed the last two years. Keith is the best example. Just wasn't really focused in the RS and then run into a hot goalie.

As much as you wish it, the Hawks are that good and they can play even better. The young guys will get better with more experience too. Not sure how many games the OP has seen, but most teams we played really wanted to end our streak and played at their best. Sure, a team like the Nucks or Kings could beat them in a PO series, but it would be a close series. Nobody is saying the Hawks will win the Cup, all Hawks fans know that it's a good start and nice time to being a fan. In the end, this won't matter if we don't make it to the SC Finals. It's all about the Cup and so far, I like the chances we have. Good teams will be good all year long. A slump will come around game 30-40 when a PO Spot looks to be secured and they just play it out.

Don't forget that the Hawks had some luck too and bounces coming their way. Streak would have ended if Yakupov scores in the 3rd instead of hitting the post.
Hawks have a 10-0-3 record in 1 goal games... that will even out a bit during the 2nd half of the season but the team is good to win those close games too. The Core knows how to win in the POs. They all made it to the WCF and SCF. They all know how it feels to lose in the 1st round watching other teams win "their" trophy.

If you want to talk about a team peaking too early, talk about the Ducks and Habs.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

They're obviously not going to go 48 games without a regular season loss. But to suggest that they're going to lose in the playoffs simply because they're winning now is absurd.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
I agree with OP. If I were gonna make a wager on a cup winner, I'd be wary of the team that hasn't faced serious adversity during the season.

Closed Thread