HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What about Gionta?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Some of you guys just don't get it do you? This is not NHL 13. The game isn't just about stats. Trading your captain, a very very good one at that, shortly after a management overhaul, while you are leading the East is an incredibly STUPID idea. Plain and simple.

Unless the Habs are offered the world, unless management is very very certain that the locker-room wouldn't suffer, unless the team that we would not lose the great leadership we so clearly have now, you don't trade Gionta. Simple as that.

Besides, as some have already said, he had surgery on his shooting arm last year and did not play during the lockout, Gionta could very well return to the 25 goal-scoring Gionta again.

We should be concerned, but the goal should be to find ways to help the captain of the East-leading team return to form, instead of trying to find ways to run him out of town for goodness sakes. I suspect that the wise Therrien recognizes the former, that's why he put him in the shoot-out, to give him confidence.
Only sometimes does someone say something that makes sense on these boards.

Give Gionta a break. The guy is the captain, he is well balanced as a person. A good guy. Let him leave the team with dignity when the time comes.

He probably felt like **** after the shoot-out attempt. Don't **** on him more.

Habbybirthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Some of you guys just don't get it do you? This is not NHL 13. The game isn't just about stats. Trading your captain, a very very good one at that, shortly after a management overhaul, while you are leading the East is an incredibly STUPID idea. Plain and simple.

Unless the Habs are offered the world, unless management is very very certain that the locker-room wouldn't suffer, unless the team that we would not lose the great leadership we so clearly have now, you don't trade Gionta. Simple as that.

Besides, as some have already said, he had surgery on his shooting arm last year and did not play during the lockout, Gionta could very well return to the 25 goal-scoring Gionta again.

We should be concerned, but the goal should be to find ways to help the captain of the East-leading team return to form, instead of trying to find ways to run him out of town for goodness sakes. I suspect that the wise Therrien recognizes the former, that's why he put him in the shoot-out, to give him confidence.
Oh and he is still on my NHL 13 team after 4 years lol. He play's the fourth line.

Habbybirthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I don't HATE Gionta. But he loses value with each week passing. Bergevin should trade him as soon as he can.

It would be all logical with the youth movement without forgetting the present. Habs will make the playoffs with or without Gionta.
Gionta has a NTC...trading him in-season isn't a realistic option. No veteran player with a young family will accept a trade during a season when on a playoff team.

And if he didn't have a NTC, you'd get very little anyway with his age and signed contract for next season.

The trade value he is losing is pretty irrelevant.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

I don't really understand what the big deal is with talking about talking away his captaincy. He came in here as a UFA and was immediately given the C. It's not exactly like he's earned it or anything. Personally, I think it's a new era in Montreal, new coaches, management, etc., and with it should come a captain who properly represents this era. Gionta is part of an old regime and he's really not giving his all on the ice. I'd give the C to Gorges or Plekanec, two guys who have been here longer and whom are much more part of the team going forward. Surely Gionta is gone at the end of next year, so i fully expect the unveiling of a new captain sometime at the beginning of next season.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
I don't really understand what the big deal is with talking about talking away his captaincy. He came in here as a UFA and was immediately given the C. It's not exactly like he's earned it or anything. Personally, I think it's a new era in Montreal, new coaches, management, etc., and with it should come a captain who properly represents this era. Gionta is part of an old regime and he's really not giving his all on the ice. I'd give the C to Gorges or Plekanec, two guys who have been here longer and whom are much more part of the team going forward. Surely Gionta is gone at the end of next year, so i fully expect the unveiling of a new captain sometime at the beginning of next season.
He got the C one season after coming here. After the first season, most of the players agreed to have Gionta as captain.

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:43 AM
bdawg1989*

I knew we'd lose the second I saw Gionta in the shootout.

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Changing your captain because the team is playing better than expected, is
a very creative move. But then given you creativity with " facts ", I guess it
just comes natural.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

you cant trade gionta, he's the captain and the room is behind him. Youd destroy morale. He's also not useless, just more and more useless in the role therien is giving him.

The solution is to use him less in certain situations.

chucky, gally, dd, patches, cole, bourque, pleky and eller should all be ahead of him in the offensive chart
He should not be out there on PP anymore....EVER

i'm fine with using him with pleky and bourque, but when you need a goal or on the pp, gionta should not be on the line.

if were winning then no problem with gionta on the line cause he's good defensively and great at killing time in the offensive zone

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:33 AM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post
I knew we'd lose the second I saw Gionta in the shootout.
Gionta actually has decent career numbers in the shootout (now 20/54 career).
When I saw Pleks (4/24) come out there for the last shot I really knew it was over.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:16 AM
PK76

Gionta should not be moved from Plek's line as he's still one of our best defensive forwards. With Bourque, they're our best shutdown line and they've been our best offensive line at one point earlier this year. He should definitely be removed from the PP though because he's just not creating enough scoring chances.

I don't think he deserves all the hate he's getting in the thread. Sure, he's lost a step but he always looks to be giving his best out there unlike what we saw from a guy like Cole earlier this year. He's overpaid for what he brings at this point but we all pretty much knew that would be the case when he signed with us.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Slashers98
HFB Partner

Are Brian Gionta’s Best Days Long Gone?
http://thehockeywriters.com/are-bria...ays-long-gone/

My analysis of the situation.

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:22 PM
bdawg1989*

Gotta love the Gionta apologists in here. Prolly the same who stubbornly defended Gomez and said he would bounce back numerous times.

Yes, Gionta works hard.

Yes, Gionta doesn't lack effort.

Truth is he just plainly sucks.

At the price he's paid, working hard isnt an excuse. He is the captain and he is paid a ******** of money and as such he is expected to produce. Not kill every god damn play he takes part in. You guys defending him acts like he's a martyr, kinda hilarious TBH. According to you, he's paid millions to ''work hard'', results dont matter. Welp, where can I sign with the Habs ? I will work hard every night but completely suck at the game of hockey and be paid millions ?! Count me in.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Gotta love the Gionta apologists in here. Prolly the same who stubbornly defended Gomez and said he would bounce back numerous times.

Yes, Gionta works hard.

At the price he's paid, working hard isnt an excuse. He is the captain and he is paid a ******** of money and as such he is expected to produce. Not kill every god damn play he takes part in. You guys defending him acts like he's a martyr, kinda hilarious TBH. According to you, he's paid millions to ''work hard'', results dont matter. Welp, where can I sign with the Habs ? I will work hard every night but completely suck at the game of hockey and be paid millions ?! Count me in.
His offense sucks right now, not his entire game.

Too many HF fans have no clue that hockey not just about how many goals you score and that players CAN contribute in other ways.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:43 PM
bdawg1989*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

Too many HF fans have no clue that hockey not just about how many goals you score and that players CAN contribute in other ways.
Except he isnt paid to be a defensive player. If he was Selke-caliber, then maybe yes. But that's not the case, at all.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Slick Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
you cant trade gionta, he's the captain and the room is behind him. Youd destroy morale. He's also not useless, just more and more useless in the role therien is giving him.

The solution is to use him less in certain situations.

chucky, gally, dd, patches, cole, bourque, pleky and eller should all be ahead of him in the offensive chart
He should not be out there on PP anymore....EVER

i'm fine with using him with pleky and bourque, but when you need a goal or on the pp, gionta should not be on the line.

if were winning then no problem with gionta on the line cause he's good defensively and great at killing time in the offensive zone
I don't know if you are with me, but you need a right handed shooter on the Powerplay.

without one, its easier for the penality kill unit to cover scoring chances.

Who is better than Gionta offensively who is right handed (forward?)

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

What he brings does NOT warrant him being anywhere near the PP or SO.
He's a 3rd liner at best, can kill penalties. NOTHING ELSE!
Leadership is only worth so much, not 1st line minutes or shootout opportunities.

When the puck goes to Gionta, you know that offensive sequence is dead.
His skills have diminished so much, all he's good for is a 3rd line checking role.

FireTherrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Habsurdities

Problem with HFBoards is everyone thinks they can replace someone with a better person. Everyone think they are better than the GM. We're all entitled to our opinion, but sometimes it's just plain ridiculous.

Habsurdities is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:38 PM
habsfanatics

I don't think gionta is done in the sense that Gomez is done, but I guessed long ago that he would never fulfill his contract at optimum performance, it seems like many plays die on his stick. Pleks, bourque were carrying that line. It seemed like every time a play died, Gionta was involved.

He's prolly still good for 20 goals over a full season, but he doesn't have game breaking talent for the dollars paid. I'd consider moving him before it's too late.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:00 PM
FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
Who is better than Gionta offensively who is right handed (forward?)
Strictly offensively, Gallagher is better than Gionta.

FireTherrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:22 PM
groovejuice

I wouldn't count him out just yet. Gionta played a much better game last night. Made some excellent passes in the ozone and was hard on the puck.

Let's not lose sight that 2 weeks ago, people were not happy with Pacioretty's play.

I think Gionta will come around soon. He is one of the hardest workers on the team.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I wouldn't count him out just yet. Gionta played a much better game last night. Made some excellent passes in the ozone and was hard on the puck.

Let's not lose sight that 2 weeks ago, people were not happy with Pacioretty's play.

I think Gionta will come around soon. He is one of the hardest workers on the team.

Like it or not guys, but Brian Gionta is probably the next one to be shipped out of this town on Marc Bergevin's black list !!

Can't wait to see him go !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Gionta is more 20 goals than 30 goals in his current role. But keep in mind he was the entire focus of his line's goal scoring with Gomez while with Bouque and Plekanec he's just one shooter among three.

Plekanec-Gionta have been a a top level shutdown pair this year for MTL, just like they were when they were combined for a short stint last year. Even without the help of Bourque they have been smothering on 5 on 5 defense so they are still winning tough matchups despite not scoring that frequently. That's not nearly as easy to replace as one might think.

On the other hand, I'm glad there is only one more year on his deal because he is on the decline. And he hasn't been much of a PP player for a couple years so getting Ryder is welcome.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Et le But

I still wouldn't be too upset if Gainey wants to trade us Eriksson for him.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:22 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I still wouldn't be too upset if Gainey wants to trade us Eriksson for him.
DD and Gionta for Ribeiro to reignite the RyderRibeiro duo.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:24 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:

Yes, Gionta works hard.

Fully agreed. Well put, people just like their martyrs once in a while. I haven't seen some of these posters ever but they just crawl out when their fanboy-crush is playing poorly and getting criticized for it.

Gionta is on the pooplist. End of story.

5m is not nothing, he's paid to score.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote