HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Is Yakupov really the best player [highest potential ceiling] out of the 2012 draft?

Old
02-26-2013, 01:17 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
People here change their minds so easily. Yakupov could get a hat trick next game and everyone's opinions would change.
Nope, I'd still go with Galchenyuk.

AKL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:58 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I love the ***** everyone has for Galchenyuk because he's playing on an overachieving team.

Where were all of you in June?

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:27 AM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I love the ***** everyone has for Galchenyuk because he's playing on an overachieving team.

Galchenyuk has contributed a fair bit to that "overachieving". How come Yakupov can't do the same for the Oilers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
You do realize Yakupov has been playing with Lennart Petrell and Chris Vande Velde lately, right? Do you even know who those two players are?
Exactly. Imagine if Yakupov got to play with an offensive dynamo like Brandon Prust like Galchenyuk gets to.

Btw, Yakupov has been all over your lineup. I swear that kid is on 3 different lines by the time the game's over.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:28 AM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

vCash: 134
Wow... 17 games in and Yak is already a bust.

Sorry Oilers fans. As a Lightning fan, I've been there (twice: Stammer and Hedman). Just be patient and let the hate roll off your shoulders.

Follower of Yzlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:19 AM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Wow... 17 games in and Yak is already a bust.

Sorry Oilers fans. As a Lightning fan, I've been there (twice: Stammer and Hedman). Just be patient and let the hate roll off your shoulders.
I'm pretty sure no one's called him a bust.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:34 AM
Joey Moss

Funny how Brandon Prust is so awesome when we aren't discussing Galchenyuk's production. Galchenyuk and Gallagher have had great chemistry all year long. Yakupov has been bounced around on basically every line this season. Line mates shouldn't be factored into anything. Both have had good ones, both have had bad. Yakupov probably worse as I mentioned.

I think Galchenyuk's size and position are factoring into this a little too much. Probably the teams as well.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Riddum

Quote:

They have one of the top Defense+Goalie combo in the league.

If anything, they badly underachieved last year, and you're basing your opinion on one year. It wasn't long ago that the Habs went to the eastern conference finals... in their last playoffs appearance, they gave a hell of a lot of trouble to the eventual winners in Boston. Please go.

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:53 AM
shogun99

Not only is Yakupov bounced around the lineup, he also is playing on his off wing and is usually getting near the lowest amount of ice time per game despite being one of the teams top scorers.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:04 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Funny how Brandon Prust is so awesome when we aren't discussing Galchenyuk's production. Galchenyuk and Gallagher have had great chemistry all year long. Yakupov has been bounced around on basically every line this season. Line mates shouldn't be factored into anything. Both have had good ones, both have had bad. Yakupov probably worse as I mentioned.

I think Galchenyuk's size and position are factoring into this a little too much. Probably the teams as well.
FYI they haven't played together for about two weeks, give or take. Even before Gallagher missed time with a concussion he was on a different line. Galchenyuk usually plays like Eller and Prust.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Christ

Very hard to say what the future will bring with this draft as I never felt any one player was far better than the rest. Yak could be the best of the bunch but guys like Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Murray and even Reilly certainly have the potential to be just as good as Yakupov and potentially even better.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Hey guys remember when Matt Duchene was clearly better in the present and future than John Tavares 20 games into their careers? I mean he had less ice time, was putting up more points, and was on a better team. Duchene>Tavares, Islanders made a terrible choice. Now I'm not saying Yakupov=Tavares or Galchenyuk=Duchene or anything, but judging players based on such a tiny sample size is misleading. Seriously, give it 5 years at least.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:

In church praying that Galchenyuk would be available to the Leafs at 5th...

From watching the Leafs edition of Behind the Draft, it was felt that Toronto's scouting team had very little separation amongst the top 5. I like Yakupov a lot, but there are a few players from the draft whom I think have as much upside, mainly Grigs and Galchenyuk...Yak definately made the most sense at 1st overall, just that this year's 1st overall wasn't way ahead of the pack compared to most year's drafts.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:49 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Hey guys remember when Matt Duchene was clearly better in the present and future than John Tavares 20 games into their careers? I mean he had less ice time, was putting up more points, and was on a better team. Duchene>Tavares, Islanders made a terrible choice. Now I'm not saying Yakupov=Tavares or Galchenyuk=Duchene or anything, but judging players based on such a tiny sample size is misleading. Seriously, give it 5 years at least.
this

people were fawning over Duchene after the 2nd year and calling him the best player from the 2009 draft

all Tavares has done since then is outscore him with a lot less to work with

#1 typically rise to the top after a few years

Yak is second on the team in goal scoring at 19 despite some of the least amount of ice-time

impressive

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:50 AM
AUAIOMRN

This thread reminds me of "Duchene vs Tavares" from a few years ago.

There's always a certain percentage of people that think picking the less hyped player makes them look sophisticated. On an internet message board it's difficult to tell someone like that from someone that formed a genuine opinion from watching the players play.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post

There's always a certain percentage of people that think picking the less hyped player makes them look sophisticated. On an internet message board it's difficult to tell someone like that from someone that formed a genuine opinion from watching the players play.
There's also always a certain percentage of sheeple who think the 1st overall pick is automatically the best player...

Old
02-26-2013, 11:01 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
There's also always a certain percentage of sheeple who think the 1st overall pick is automatically the best player...
so Kane, Stamkos and Tavares aren't the best from their draft years?

(too early on Hall, RNH and Yakupov)

Last edited by CantHaveTkachev: 02-26-2013 at 11:29 AM.
CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:04 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post

Painfully true. Saw it earlier this year with the Morgan Rielly Hype Train Extravaganza.

If we do this draft again, I take Yakupov without thinking twice, every time.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post

They have one of the top Defense+Goalie combo in the league.

If anything, they badly underachieved last year, and you're basing your opinion on one year. It wasn't long ago that the Habs went to the eastern conference finals... in their last playoffs appearance, they gave a hell of a lot of trouble to the eventual winners in Boston. Please go.

Ok yeah, you're right. The Habs were projected to be the top team in the east this year. They aren't overachieving at all.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
so Kane, Stamkos and Tavares aren't the best from their draft years?

(too early on Hall, RNH and Yakupov)

Yes they are, but 3 drafts isn't a big enough sample size to prove much...let's try it with a few more years, I'll let you be the judge which players should have gone 1st:

Tavares
Stamkos
Kane
Johnson
Crosby
Ovechkin
Fleury
Nash
Kovalchuk
Dipietro
Stefan

....and so forth.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:06 PM
birddog*

Yak has one less point and 3 more goals than Galy. Fair to say it's a little to early.

This thread reminds me of a bunch of children -- "my dad is bigger than your dad".

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:

Of all the Habs fans you see gushing over Prust, about 0% of them are doing so because of his offensive game.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:17 PM
416Leafer

Quote:

Actually there were quite a few people who back in June weren't convinced Yakupov would be the 1st overall pick if it weren't for injuries, and also weren't convinced that he was likely to be the best player from the draft.

I did a one minute search and found the below thread. Yes, there was disagreement back in June as to whether or not Yaks would be a good 1st overall pick, and whether or not a guy like Galchenyuk had a better skill-set to succeed longterm.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1206357

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Actually there were quite a few people who back in June weren't convinced Yakupov would be the 1st overall pick if it weren't for injuries, and also weren't convinced that he was likely to be the best player from the draft.

I did a one minute search and found the below thread. Yes, there was disagreement back in June as to whether or not Yaks would be a good 1st overall pick, and whether or not a guy like Galchenyuk had a better skill-set to succeed longterm.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1206357
Yes right after he was drafted by Edmonton Bravo and was now a meh prospect Look at the love affair right up till Oilers drafted him http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=30289419 http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...038411&page=40

Last edited by Oiltankjob Fail: 02-26-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:40 PM
topchowda

If you have ~20 minutes to kill go back and read the Stamkos rookie threads

3 years from now you will go back to this one and read the same stuff.

Galenychuk may be a better playmaker, but the Oilers have enough of those, they need goals. Which Yakupov is showing he can score

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:01 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Yes right after he was drafted by Edmonton Bravo and was now a meh prospect Look at the love affair right up till Oilers drafted him
The thread I posted was from June 12th. The draft was June 22nd. Please don't just make stuff up for absolutely no reason.

People debated if Yakupov should be the 1st overall pick. Injuries were a big factor in the 2012 draft, with both Galchenyuk and Rielly going in the top 5 despite having significant injuries in their draft years. Look at how much the top 5 for this upcoming draft has changed over the past 6 months, if Drouin/Jones had been injured all year, they wouldn`t currently be in contention for the #1 overall spot, so it definitely changes things.

Hockey analysts as well pointed out that it would be hard to justify taking somebody other than Yakupov as the #1 pick because he had a high skill level and less question marks, but that there were definitely a number of prospects who looked like they could easily become better players.

A lot of comparisons to Ovechkin vs Malkin were raised. Wingers are simply the least important position on a team and the least able to control a game, so unless a winger is distinctly more talented than the centres/defencemen/goalies available, then they're not going to be the best choice.

So pretending that people praising Galchenyuk over Yakupov right now is ONLY because of the last month or so, and not because of historical expectations, is simply incorrect.

Now it`s only ~1.5 months into the first season after their draft, so debating about who's the best is still very premature, and Yakupov could very well end up being the best player. But he isn't and hasn't ever been the unanimous choice for that.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote