HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects this year

Old
02-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Jacko95

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Dekeyser's former head coach, Jeff Blashill, is an assistant coach in Detroit now and I feel like I read somewhere that there was some connection between him and Jim Nill, the Red Wings' Asst GM, although I'm not sure on that.
Rumors last summer were that it's all down to Detroit and Tampa, because Detroit is his favorite team and Tampa is always a great place for undrafted FAs and his favorite player was Yzerman. And he is playing with Luke Witkowski a Tampa draftee who is a senior this season. They are linemates and close friends, so I think the chance to still play with him in the AHL could influence his decision.

I really hope Yzerman can us his magic and convince him to go to Tampa

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Rumors last summer were that it's all down to Detroit and Tampa, because Detroit is his favorite team and Tampa is always a great place for undrafted FAs and his favorite player was Yzerman. And he is playing with Luke Witkowski a Tampa draftee who is a senior this season. They are linemates and close friends, so I think the chance to still play with him in the AHL could influence his decision.

I really hope Yzerman can us his magic and convince him to go to Tampa
I am one of the few Wings fans that thinks he will not end up in Detroit. I hope he does, but it is a slow road to the big club for kids in the Detroit organization and we have some other good defensive prospects heading to GR next season.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
I am one of the few Wings fans that thinks he will not end up in Detroit. I hope he does, but it is a slow road to the big club for kids in the Detroit organization and we have some other good defensive prospects heading to GR next season.
If this would be the reason he doesn't sign with Detroit he won't sign with Tampa either, Tampa has three NHL ready D in Gudas, Barberio and Korobov in the AHL and a high-end prospect in the CHL as well (Koekkoek).

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:44 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
Here it comes good thing our D sucks; he could easily make the roster.

Kronwall
Smith
Ericsson

Those are clearly ahead. Cola is signed for next year so maybe him too. Kindl's future with this team is more or less questionmark. Same with White. And imo Dekeyser would be ahead of Lashoff. Quincey maybe little ahead.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

Double D is a fan favorite here at WMU. I've probably watched him ~15 times (us students get free admission lol), and he's solid like a rock. I love him, gonna miss him so much.

I don't know if this means anything, but Mike Babcock was in Kalamazoo Friday watching the Notre Dame game. What's mildly more interesting is he had Red Wings games on Thursday and Saturday.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Response to PJStock

When Carey came to SLU, he was stocky, slow, and one dimensional. He had just broken the Ontario Juniors (2nd division) single season goal scoring record. He reminded you of the kid that spent hour just shooting at a net in his back hard. His wrist shot is dangerous from anywhere, he shoots as hard with a draw back wrister as most NCAA kids hit a slap shot.

His first year, SLU pretty much lt him do his own thing. He didn't do much on the boards, defensively, ect. They tried stationing him on the point on the power play to get him to be able to use his shot more, but his mobility wasn't good enough for the position. Despite this, he did score 23 goals as a 20 year old rookie. It was at this point that I started hearing if he had a good 2nd year, he would get an NHL contract.

His second season was a transition. Head coach Joe Marsh was struggling with health issues and didn't coach most of the year. Carey started working on his all around game, he looked fitter on the ice. His goal tally suffered, but part of this was a product of it just being a poor year for SLU.

This year, he started on a separate line from Flanagan, but they have been put back together recently. They are playing with more swagger under Greg Carvel's more offensive system. The kid just loves to score goals, but this year he is noticeably better in board work, shielding the puck. He still sometimes struggles with line changes and straightaway skating speed, but of the three I think he has the best shot of becoming an NHL player.

Kyle Flanagan was knocked on his ass off the faceoff of the first shift of his first NCAA game. Undersized, sometimes teammates would joke on twitter when there was a windstorm that he might fly away. But the kid has a hockey brain a mile wide. Give him time and space, and he will shred you with passes, excellent pivotal skating, and surprisingly good hands around the net. He has gained some muscle this year, still doesn't have too much mustard on his shot but he isn't getting planted into the boards nearly as much as he used to. He started his career as a LW on Bogosian's line, but the past two years he has been centering Greg Carey.

If Carey had Flanagan's hockey sense, he would have been a first round pick. If Flanagan had Carey's build, he would've been as well. Flanagan reminds me a bit of PA Parenteau.

George Hughes is the nephew of one of the final cuts for the 1980 US olympic team, his brother also plays here. He was basically the team's #1 defenseman from his rookie year, as he is exceptionally smart with the puck. His shots from the point are unusually accurate when he has the time to get them off. However he lacks both the pivotal speed and the physicality to make him,, in my book at least, a future NHL defenseman. He would get burned around the side too often and doesn't really have any of the snarl that NHL coaches look for. Much of his point production, like Wick's, is a product of playing on the PP unit with Flanagan and Carey.

Hughes will be a career AHL defenseman, in my mind. Carey has a shot to step right into an NHL top six, and like with Bobby Butler its likely that role or the AHL for him. I rate him higher than I did Butler, however.

Flanagan will need some AHL time to get used to the size and strength of the pro game. But I think he could be useful player in any role with that head on his shoulders, and is the most complete player I have seen at SLU since Rich Peverley.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:55 PM
monkeywrench

vCash: 50
Any one got info on Tanner Fritz? I watched him in JrA and loved his game solid 2-way forward. Just wondering how he has been for the Buckeyes? And if he has any NHL potential?

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:16 PM
bloggerfanthe*

When can NHL teams start signing college players?

bloggerfanthe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:30 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7venbarschi View Post
When can NHL teams start signing college players?
Whenever their college seasons are over now.

The first day for "next year" contracts was about a week ago.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

A decent amount of college teams playing tonight to stay alive. Sustr's team is down 1-0 in the 3 game series. Im guessing if they lose he will start listening to offers Monday.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

FYI to all of you closely following the Danny DeKeyser sweepstakes...

Western Michigan was eliminated from the CCHA Tournament last night, after getting swept by Michigan in the CCHA Quarterfinals. This means that WMU won't get an auto bid into the NCAA Tournament.

However.....

The Broncos still have a shot at an at-large bid, due to their current [as of this posting] Pairwise Ranking (PWR). The PWR is what determines the at-large bids, seedings, etc. to the NCAA Tournament. Whether WMU gets into or misses the NCAA Tournament altogether will depend on how well (or not so well) other "bubble" teams (such as BU and Wisconsin) do next weekend in their respective conference semis/finals.

Having said all of this, if WMU does indeed miss the tourney, you can bet that DeKeyser will be snapped up very shortly thereafter.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Mason10
Bacon

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman
Andrej Sustr, a 6'8''-6'9'' 22 year old mobile puck moving defenseman is on the FA market now.

Mason10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:01 AM
thefeebster

Just finished these two videos for Sustr and Laganiere, if anyone is interested in seeing how they play. Should be interesting how these sweepstakes play out.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:48 AM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Does anyone know anything about Andrew Hammond?

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:49 AM
dnicks17

According to Elliotte Friedman, there's reports of the Senators signing Bowling Green State goalie, Andrew Hammond.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...28635053199360

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:53 AM
vannzee
Ruslan Salei fan...

LSSU Kellen Lain signed with the Canucks.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/0...college-ranks/

vannzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:30 PM
pokerface1

Does anyone have a first-hand scouting report on Hammond?

pokerface1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface1 View Post
Does anyone have a first-hand scouting report on Hammond?
Sure, what would you like to know?

Old
03-18-2013, 01:47 PM
pokerface1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Sure, what would you like to know?
how is his glove hand, ability to track pucks, mobility? does he give up a lot rebounds? If he does is he able to deflect them into safer areas of the ice?
what sort of upside do you think he he might have at higher levels?

Old
03-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface1 View Post
how is his glove hand, ability to track pucks, mobility? does he give up a lot rebounds? If he does is he able to deflect them into safer areas of the ice?
what sort of upside do you think he he might have at higher levels?
In answer to your questions....

Hammond's glove hand is good. Although he has made some spectacular glove saves in his collegiate career, I wouldn't say that it's great. He is excellent at tracking pucks and staying with plays/puck carriers. Earlier in his career, Hammond did give up a lot of rebounds, but he has improved in that area, especially in the last two seasons. He also does a very good job of steering pucks away from the net. Where he has really made great improvements IMO is in his ability to stop and limit 2nd and 3rd chances. Hammond has really sound fundamentals and is very composed in net, even with traffic around him. He doesn't seem to get rattled easily and he's not one to get too high or too low. Bowling Green has also been known (at least since Hammond has been there) to give up a lot of shots too, so it's not unusual to see him facing upwards of 35-40 shots per game. Hammond IMO actually plays better when he's facing a lot of rubber. He doesn't fare quite as well when he's seeing a limited number of shots.

IMO, Hammond could become an excellent goalie at the AHL level. I'm not quite sure if he can/will make it to the NHL given the number of top flights goalies that come into the league from the NCAA and elsewhere each season.

Anyway, I hope I've answered your questions and that this all helps.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:38 PM
pokerface1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post

Anyway, I hope I've answered your questions and that this all helps.
You absolutely have, thanks so much for the great info

Old
03-18-2013, 05:24 PM
john g

I'm curious as to why there is no talk regarding Daniel Carr. He was fantastic last year in Union's run in the PO's and as continued to excel this year.

john g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Xamboni
BoVat Horseman

Oilers Chick can you tell me about Laganiere? His scouting report made him sound like a modern day Lindros, so I don't think I can take it seriously.

Xamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:25 PM
herbst20

Kyle Flanagan signed with the Flyers Organization.

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:50 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Are the Leafs in on the bidding for any of these guys?

We've had decent success with guys like Bozak, and to a lesser extent, Scrivens.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote