HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh Signs Mark Eaton [1 Year/$725,000 AAV]

Old
02-25-2013, 02:18 PM
bigd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Should have kept Lovejoy.

I don't care what any Pens fans say about him but he has been sensational with the Ducks.
Should have kept Strait. At least he had future value. I just don't get it?

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:44 PM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Should have kept Strait. At least he had future value. I just don't get it?
Matter of roster space. Pens needed what Bortuzzo brings to the table more then what Strait can offer. Bortuzzo and Strait were competing for one spot and roberts size and physical play won him the job. Teams weren't going to trade for Brian when they know we would be forced to send him down via waivers. Why pay 10 bucks today for something that you can get for free tomorrow?

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

There's a lot of Pens players that will be thrilled to have Eaton back in the room. He's a good veteran guy to have around. I doubt he can bring much on the ice at this point outside of being a veteran that knows Bylsma's system. He can be a good #7 or #8. Hopefully he doesn't have to be anything more.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:48 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:

I don't care what any Pens fans say about him but he has been sensational with the Ducks.
Why?

He was eighth on our depth chart. We get something for him, and he gets to play. Win/win.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:49 PM
startainfection*

eaton was awful for the islanders

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Jahodac

Should be a depth signing; I'm not super thrilled but I guess he can be solid on the backend if the Penguins need him.

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Marcus Halberstram*

Quote:

Lovejoy and sensational are two words that don't go together - even by accident. Speaks to weak D depth if he's cracking your roster.

Marcus Halberstram* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Sideline

vCash: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
eaton was awful for the islanders
Eaton, no matter how burnt out physically, has a better mind for defense than Ben Lovejoy.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:01 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Halberstram View Post
Lovejoy and sensational are two words that don't go together - even by accident. Speaks to weak D depth if he's cracking your roster.
Unfortunately you'd be very wrong.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:24 PM
PensFan68

I'd rather have an aging Eaton as a 7/8 for the playoffs than Lovejoy/Strait/Sneep. No doubt.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:28 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

Quote:
if he's in your line-up every day then yes.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

Let's get real now, Lovejoy is the better player between he and Eaton. The past few years have proven that. Difference being, Eaton will not take minutes or ice time away from Despres or Bortuzzo. I'm quite estatic for Lovejoy that he's having success, great guy and teammate. Eaton is a good guy to have in the lockerroom himself, which is what makes me like this deal. Not like this limits what the Penguins can do so not understanding the negativity towards the signing of Eaton.

Killswitch7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Marcus Halberstram*

Quote:
Unfortunately, in the not too distant future, you'll realize how much more wrong you are. He's a 7th D-Man at BEST. If he's cracking your everyday D, your depth is piss poor.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:56 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Unfortunately, in the not too distant future, you'll realize how much more wrong you are. He's a 7th D-Man at BEST. If he's cracking your everyday D, your depth is piss poor.
I don't know about 7th at best. He could be a servicable bottom pairing guy. However, I feel more comfortable with Eaton in the press box than Lovejoy (well, for the playoffs anyway).

Old
02-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Marcus Halberstram*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
I don't know about 7th at best. He could be a servicable bottom pairing guy. However, I feel more comfortable with Eaton in the press box than Lovejoy (well, for the playoffs anyway).
On an everyday basis on a team with depth, yes, ideally he's a 7th. Sporadic appearances as a bottom pairing D or in case of injuries, absolutely. When the playoffs roll around, absolutely not.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:03 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
On an everyday basis on a team with depth, yes, ideally he's a 7th. Sporadic appearances as a bottom pairing D or in case of injuries, absolutely. When the playoffs roll around, absolutely not.
I still disagree. I think Lovejoy will be a longterm 5/6 dman. On some teams would he not fit? Yes, but most he'd be able to make the bottom pair on quite a few teams. I'm not saying he's some amazing dman that I wish we would've kept, just saying that he's not some pressbox filler.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:49 AM
Hans Rutherford
Got Experience?

Quote:

Lovejoy once looked solid and full of potential when he first started with the Pens. Hopefully the honeymoon lasts longer for you guys, because he eventually completely forgot how to play hockey here. I'd glad he's doing good on the Ducks, and even more glad he's no longer on the Pens.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:01 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I'll be pissed if Eaton is anything more than the #8 D. I like Eaton but I really don't want Despres sent down over this signing and that could happen. Despres makes mistakes here and there but so will Eaton and Despres can make plays that Eaton can only dream of making.

As for Lovejoy, I think playing regularly is helping him in Anaheim. He has NHL talent but he was mostly the odd man out in Pittsburgh and struggled when he occasionally got in the lineup. Constantly being in and out of the lineup wasn't good for a D-Man that was still developing. He needed to play regularly. I'm glad he's getting the chance in Anaheim and maybe that's led to the turnaround in his game.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:12 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
I'd rather have an aging Eaton as a 7/8 for the playoffs than Lovejoy/Strait/Sneep. No doubt.
Well you've got him, let's see how that works out for ya!

Old
02-26-2013, 07:21 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Do not want

We have enough defensemen that can fill in if needed

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatonBabies View Post
Lovejoy once looked solid and full of potential when he first started with the Pens. Hopefully the honeymoon lasts longer for you guys, because he eventually completely forgot how to play hockey here. I'd glad he's doing good on the Ducks, and even more glad he's no longer on the Pens.
Don't worry. If we keep giving Bortuzzo sporadic games and 9-11 minutes when he plays, you will sour on him too. Lovejoy just needs to play decent minutes consistently and he will be a perfectly OK nr. 6.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:25 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Don't worry. If we keep giving Bortuzzo sporadic games and 9-11 minutes when he plays, you will sour on him too. Lovejoy just needs to play decent minutes consistently and he will be a perfectly OK nr. 6.
I kind of agree. These young guys need to be told that they're going to be given consistent minutes and have an important role on the team for them to get comfortable and thus move towards playing to their potential.

It's hard with the Pens since we have a deep lineup, but at the same time giving these guys away and then signing a guy like Eaton makes me start to question what they're doing.

I'm going to beat a dead horse for a second and say that I disliked letting Strait go even more because he and Bort played together in WBS forever, and would have made a very good bottom pairing when needed, or in the future. We could have had those two guys up traveling and practicing with the team at least.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:18 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
I kind of agree. These young guys need to be told that they're going to be given consistent minutes and have an important role on the team for them to get comfortable and thus move towards playing to their potential.

It's hard with the Pens since we have a deep lineup, but at the same time giving these guys away and then signing a guy like Eaton makes me start to question what they're doing.

I'm going to beat a dead horse for a second and say that I disliked letting Strait go even more because he and Bort played together in WBS forever, and would have made a very good bottom pairing when needed, or in the future. We could have had those two guys up traveling and practicing with the team at least.
Pens fans will be moaning about those moves again when they get blown out in the playoffs.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Bennett Brauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Pens fans will be moaning about those moves again when they get blown out in the playoffs.
What moves did the Penguins make that will affect the playoffs?

Strait and Lovejoy are not the difference between playoff victory and a playoff loss. We signed Mark Eaton for depth and probably to be #8 on the depth chart.

Bennett Brauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
What moves did the Penguins make that will affect the playoffs?

Strait and Lovejoy are not the difference between playoff victory and a playoff loss. We signed Mark Eaton for depth and probably to be #8 on the depth chart.
Yeah, Strait and Lovejoy played some playoff games over the past few years and it made no difference. Pens still got bounced early.