HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Chicago is peaking too early...

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
Why do people keep having to remind me that the Habs are playing over their head? I'm fully aware of my team unlike other fans around here.

*P.S: I haven't forgotten our bet, buddy.
Oh yes the bet. What was it again? Best head to head record? Standings at the end of the regular season or does one team making it further in playoffs matter? We should have quoted it.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
The Hawks lost against the Canucks in their first meeting in the SO. The Canucks had a 5.4 million dollar second line in that game. (No Kelser or Booth)

The Hawks still couldn't beat the Canucks in regulation in their second meeting.
You're bragging about that game? Vancouver didn't look fit to share the same ice as Chicago that night. The only reason they was able to come back and tie it was because the Hawks were deflated following Hossa's injury.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Why do people keep having to remind me that the Habs are playing over their head? I'm fully aware of my team unlike other fans around here.

*P.S: I haven't forgotten our bet, buddy.
I'm going to take a major leap and say you are being reminded since you created this thread saying the exact same thing about another team.

Old
Pavels Dog

They're the clear Cup favorite and I see no reason why they won't be a very dangerous team come playoff time.

However, the law of averages is a powerful thing. All those 1-goal wins could easily turn into 1-goal losses. They could run out of luck on the injury front. Their goalies could come back down to earth. Somehow, sometime they'll start losing games. Only question is when and for how long they'll struggle. Hawks fans who think they'll just continue to roll (and maybe even get better) are delusional, but so are the ones saying they'll be bounced in the 1st round easily.

Old
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 50
Have the best start = You won't win the cup.

Remember the 06/07 Ducks?

Old
02-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Haj

Yes....Chicago is peaking too early....what a bunch of goons.

That's exactly what Florida's plan is, suck completely in the first half of the regular season so we can peak in the playoffs.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:22 AM
SenzZen

That's one way of looking at it...

Old
02-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Where's your proof? Why would you make ridiculous claims like this without any back up info. Doesn't look to bright on your side and seems like you are making a thread just to make a thread.
I seem to remember the Senators going redhot in 2008 and we didn't win a Cup. Neither did the Leafs when they went 10-0 or something at the start...just saying.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I don't think they are peaking too early but I do think they have been very lucky and their goaltending won't be this good in the playoffs.

I see them out in the 2nd round.

Old
helicon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
What a ridiculous post. What about Perrys slow start? What about Erik Cole not scoring? How are those examples ANY different from the Hawks? All 3 teams are peaking, and to suggest the Hawks aren't peaking when they are 16-0-3 is ****ing ridiculous. You think they are going to go undefeated? Really?
This is just a silly post. I'm not sure why this point is so hard to understand, but the current points percentage is what's unustainable here, not the play of the team itself. The Hawks have a much higher gear than what they've shown the past few games, as luck has played a part. Eventually though the breaks will start evening out over the course of the season as they always do, and Chicago will lose some games. They could still do so while playing at a high level.

Old
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
Have the best start = You won't win the cup.

Remember the 06/07 Ducks?
That team had two future HHOF defenseman...there isn't much comparison.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:26 AM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

Quote:
They will come back to earth come playoffs time and lose. Teams that absolutely dominate above and beyond every other teams, tend to deflate come playoffs time and lose. We see it in every sport.

They can't elevate their play more than they already are.
Yes, this happens ALL THE TIME..

Oh, wait... Detroit Red Wings 2001-02

Old
02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
ddawg1950

I have watched the Hawks a lot this year and am hoping for a WCF between Hawks and Canucks. Would be an epic battle.

The Hawks are an excellent hockey team...from what I have seen they are simply the best team in the NHL right now and I see nothing to indicate that they won't continue to dominate overall. They will lose a few eventually, but there won't be a huge drop off, IMO.

They are for real and they are damned good.

Like every team, injuries can play a role in their success, but outside of those kind of considerations, any talk of this as being just a matter of peaking too early is just wishful thinking from opposition fan bases.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:28 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Discussed this at the bar with some cronies last night.... was pointed out to me last 2 teams who held the record for best starts both went on to win the cup (oilers/ducks).

If it's betting on the Hawks to fall on their face or return to glory... I am betting on glory. The core there has won before and knows what it takes to win.

Chicago is so good, nearly everyone on that teams plays a 200 foot game... real joy to watch.

Boston/Chicago finals, book it.
I have been wanting that to be the finals for 3 years now and it sure looks like it could happen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawks fall in the playoffs but I would be even less surprised to see them in the finals.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:28 AM
HawkinMI

Uh oh. QUICK, we need to LOSE!

Please. Chicago isn't blowing anyone out of the water and doesn't have players contributing at unreasonable paces. They're simply outskating the opposition and putting in full games of hard work (at most, maybe a mental lapse of a few minutes, which is miles better than the full periods of lazy they'd put in the last two years). Their goalie play has improved as well, but as stated, only Emery in Calgary needed to steal the game for us. Quit trying so hard to make this streak into a negative thing, nobody outright thinks the Cup should be handed to them (except a few newbies/bandwagoners).

So, if this streak "doesn't mean anything", why does it mean they won't win the Cup?

Old
02-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Um how about no? Who knows what will happen, really. But this isn't some random peak that teams get...19 games without a regulation loss spells consistency and I'm sure they could regain a similar consistency at the right time.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:33 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLLL Penguin View Post
Are you saying Chicago won't win the cup? Bold prediction. I'll follow up your bold prediction with one of my own. The best team in the east right now, Montreal, won't win the cup. Peaking too early.
Montreal isn't the best team and they won't win the Cup and they will finish in no better than 4th place in my opinion. But they might go further than a lot of people expect.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:33 AM
toewsintangibles

Its just one of those dumb media talking points when the pundits don't have anything real to say

Old
02-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Riddum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
What's your point?

Chicago shouldn't be playing as hard? Chicago should lose some games? Chicago would be in a better position to win the cup if they were 14-2-3 instead of 16-0-3?

I'm just struggling here.
In certain sports (Like hockey, Basketball, football, soccer...etc), unfortunately, you can't control it. You just have to play your best everytime.

In a sport like boxing or MMA, fighters train a certain way so that they peak the day of fight. If fighters had to fight every week, they wouldn't be able to control their peak either.

Being hot at the right time is crucial in a sport like hockey.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
The Hawks lost against the Canucks in their first meeting in the SO. The Canucks had a 5.4 million dollar second line in that game. (No Kelser or Booth)

The Hawks still couldn't beat the Canucks in regulation in their second meeting.
That game could have easily been an 8+ blowout for the Hawks. Canucks were horrendous and Chicago was on fire. A bad combination. 2 shorthanded breakaways on the same powerplay in the first period. Exciting hockey, but painful to see as a canucks fan. Seriously, what kind of team has 30 scoring chances in one game?

Old
02-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
In certain sports (Like hockey, Basketball, football, soccer...etc), unfortunately, you can't control it. You just have to play your best everytime.

In a sport like boxing or MMA, fighters train a certain way so that they peak the day of fight. If fighters had to fight every week, they wouldn't be able to control their peak either.

Being hot at the right time is crucial in a sport like hockey.
You are comparing an individual sport that relies on 1 persons cardio for 1 day to a team game that relies on 23 individuals that work as a team, and has 82 (48 this year) games to play in.

It's not a very good juxtaposition.

If anything, hockey falls into your first category along with all the other team sports that have a schedule, and not just 1 event.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

The topic of this thread is a fairly common theory that has been discussed in previous years with different teams and well before the Blackhawks of this year. Please leave the ridicule out of your comments.

02-26-2013, 10:44 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

so they shouldn't be winning all these games?? enough with the hate, they are creating history.

the games are only gonna get harder for them considering they are the top dog of the league atm. teams are putting a star on the calendar when they play the blackhawks.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:45 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
shorter season, it just happened last year, if Goaltending keeps up and there are no injuries to the Centers they are the most complete team....

They won't lose in the 1st round just because it happened about 20% before.
No injuries.

So the thread title should be the Hawks are not having injuries at the right time.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Illinihockey

The Hawks are winning because of defense. Defense doesn't slump.

Closed Thread