HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Yankee and Dodger stadiums (and maybe more) to host NHL outdoor games?

Old
02-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 500
Why do people stand around in the freezing cold all day on new year eve to watch a stupid ball drop in times square? That's even dumber then sitting in the freezing cold for a few hours to watch a hockey game (Personally I would not want to go to an outdoor game in the middle of winter. I'd rather go to an arena for less money).

It's because the event is a novelty. They sell out the winter classic on the basis that it's the "coolest" game being played all year.

If they had 4 of these things, it wouldn't sell out anymore. People would start being more rational about it saying it's stupid to go sit outdoors in the freezing cold when they can be in a more comfortable arena with better sightlines.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:49 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
Why do people stand around in the freezing cold all day on new year eve to watch a stupid ball drop in times square? That's even dumber then sitting in the freezing cold for a few hours to watch a hockey game (Personally I would not want to go to an outdoor game in the middle of winter. I'd rather go to an arena for less money).

It's because the event is a novelty. They sell out the winter classic on the basis that it's the "coolest" game being played all year.

If they had 4 of these things, it wouldn't sell out anymore. People would start being more rational about it saying it's stupid to go sit outdoors in the freezing cold when they can be in a more comfortable arena with better sightlines.
If they had 4, they would still sell out. If they had 1 in NY, 1 in Boston, 1 in Pittsburgh, 1 in Chicago, they would still all sell out. If the same team had 4 in a year, that would be different.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
If they had 4, they would still sell out. If they had 1 in NY, 1 in Boston, 1 in Pittsburgh, 1 in Chicago, they would still all sell out. If the same team had 4 in a year, that would be different.
Hmm, you're probably right, for at least the first year or 2. If they keep having these things every year though the novelty will fade pretty fast.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
outdoor game in LA in 90 degree weather?
Roller Hockey or even Dek Hockey for one game! lolll I bet the league would love the novelty and marketing buzz that could generate.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
It would require lots of planning with (and likely compensation for) the NFL. Jets and Giants have done Thursday/Sunday or Sunday/Monday back to back home games before in order to leave the stadium vacant for a big-time concert that was scheduled years in advance. Basically the NHL, NFL, Giants, and Jets would have to start talking now in order to have the game happen in 2015 at the absolute earliest, most likely much later. That being said, if there is a Winter Classic in Metlife, it will be Rangers-Devils as the State of NJ and Vanderbeek have both made it very clear that any event in NJ will have to involve the Devils and not having the Rangers would defeat the point of the NHL trying to get the NY Media Market to pay attention. If there is ever a Devils-Flyers WC (the other plausible WC possibility involving the Devils, sorry Islanders) it would most likely be at Rutgers Stadium to capitalize on the geographic rivalry.
Just because Vanderbeek said that, does it mean that it's up to him? I'm not trying to start an argument in any way, but I can't see how it's up to him, especially since the Rangers have been in this market for like 50 years before the Devils.

02-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I call it Giants Stadium as it was the Giants who had it built. Jets were just riding their coattails. I also refuse to acknowledge the corporate names, hence why I call the Mets park, "Shea".

yeah, good luck with that...!

Even I had to eventually call it Qualcomm Stadium after no one knew what Jack Murphy Stadium even was.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:34 AM
Todds Chiropractory

Vancouver in the city would be stupid. Of course they would want a big venue for a big money making opportunity, but what they should do is hold the game on a frozen lake in interior BC, now that would be an amazing feat for the NHL and hockey. Hell even make it pay per view it would be awesome to see.

Todds Chiropractory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:36 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Yankee Stadium won't happen as long as they still have the Pinstripe Bowl. I'm sure that it'll happen eventually, though.
Who is saying that these extra proposed games are occurring on New Year's Day?

Also, how much do you want to bet this is about certain owners being pissed that their Winter Classic is being delayed a year by the lockout?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:00 AM
patnyrnyg

Contract with the pinstripe bowl is over after this year. Plus, they could move the pinstripe bowl to earlier in december. It is not a major bowl, so it doesn't need to be in the week between Xmas and New Years. They could play it Dec 15th and have the field ready for hockey on New Years Day.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
Metlife Stadium is fully 50-50, the Mara's couldn't build it without the Jets. That dump cost 2 billion dollars! And I'm sure if the lordly giants even owned 50.01% of it they'd stick their name on it...which they can't because it's as much the Jets as it is the Giants. And it's an enormous disgrace of a stadium regardless.
I always mistake Metlife Stadium for the Mets' ballpark. But then I remember their park's name is Citi Field.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
OKCDevil

NHL needs to not compete against college football's NYD games. Move it to mid-January or the week between the AFC/NFC title games and the Super Bowl. That might be best.

As for LA, it gets mighty cool downtown at Dodgers games in the summer. In mid/late January I bet a sheet of ice could survive a couple of days, especially if it'd be an evening game.

Denver should absolutely host one soon, although I realize the Avs aren't the national franchise they were 10 years ago. St. Louis/Busch Stadium would rock and they have the weather, but the Blues aren't a national team.

Heck, Dallas gets terrible weather in January. It's not constant is the problem, but if conditions were right it would be acceptable. I realize it's hard to predict that for that area. But the Cotton Bowl was frozen out of the BCS in the 90s because of the poor weather in North Texas in Januarys so I know it would happen. It'd be nice to see it in the Cotton Bowl or something.

OKCDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
How about a day-night double header at Yankee Stadium? Islanders-Devils in the afternoon and a Rangers-Flyers rematch at night.
Islanders vs Rangers and Devils vs Flyers are more heated.

But Devils vs Rangers is the biggest rivalry right now between all of those teams, and has been since the mid-90's.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post

But Devils vs Rangers is the biggest rivalry right now between all of those teams, and has been since the mid-90's.
I definitely agree, since I'm a Ranger fan, but I would think that the whole "rematch" thing might appeal to more people.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:40 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post

no, it isn't. Rangers-Isles and Rangers-Flyers are both bigger. At least in the eyes of most Rangers fans.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:36 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Canucks games are pretty quiet lately. I doubt you would hear chants or anything like that at BC Place.
I remember hearing that some Whitecaps supporters went to a Canucks game a few weeks ago. Apparently they were at the absolute back end of the seating area in the upper bowl and were still told to sit down and stop cheering. I think a few even got kicked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
Vancouver in the city would be stupid. Of course they would want a big venue for a big money making opportunity, but what they should do is hold the game on a frozen lake in interior BC, now that would be an amazing feat for the NHL and hockey. Hell even make it pay per view it would be awesome to see.
How are you supposed to accommodate 55k people on a lake? How are you going to get that many people transported and lodged that far out in the boonies without it turning into a logistical mess, for that matter? These suggestions about just dropping a game literally in the middle of nowhere are completely silly.

Last edited by CorbeauNoir: 02-27-2013 at 06:41 PM.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Aero 75

LA Times now reporting a formal announcement for the Dodger Stadium game, to be held on 25-Jan-2014, will be announced on April 17 or 18. A second outdoor game that weekend would be held in New York, possibly at Yankee Stadium, on 26-Jan-2014. Hockey weekend in America !!!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...2094955.column

Aero 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 75 View Post
LA Times now reporting a formal announcement for the Dodger Stadium game, to be held on 25-Jan-2014, will be announced on April 17 or 18. A second outdoor game that weekend would be held in New York, possibly at Yankee Stadium, on 26-Jan-2014. Hockey weekend in America !!!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...2094955.column
ugh ... over-saturating

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:28 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Three outdoor games? Uh... okay, now that's really pushing it.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Dado

vCash:
I hope they have the good sense to make a (potential) Yankee Stadium game a tilt between the Bruins and Rangers.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Bengui

They will probably sell out every venue, but TV rating will be very diluted. NBC will probably not be happy.

Bengui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:57 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
ugh ... over-saturating
uggg exactly.

this is pure greed

time to boycott the NHL on this one.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:59 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

this is probably bettman's apology to collins for that whole lockout thing. He was reportedly grumpy.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Wasting two of their top venues on this, too. Oh well, it was cool while it lasted.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:01 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengui View Post
They will probably sell out every venue, but TV rating will be very diluted. NBC will probably not be happy.
I'm sure NBC was involved in the discussions. If they hated the idea, I very much doubt it would have happened. Odds are better that they think they can get big ratings for all three, and were pushing the NHL to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
uggg exactly.

this is pure greed

time to boycott the NHL on this one.
You want a boycott over having more of a cool thing that most fans enjoy watching. Seriously?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:17 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

this idea that it dilutes the outdoor game is just false! why can't us people out west be allowed to enjoy one? you can't do it on new years in LA either

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote