HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - 2012-13 (Part XI)

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 11:44 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Just filtered the UFA list by position.

If i was Ron Hainsey, there is no way i sign before reaching FA. He is one of the few fairly productive and valuable dmen under 36 yrs of age in this year's UFA crop.

I hadn't studied that list until now. Smid is the only other guy that interests me as a Jets fan. Slim pick'ins.
Basically, it will come down to whether Ron wants a payday and a chance at a Stanley Cup. I guess we'll find out how much Chevy thinks Hainsey is worth to the organisation, and how much Hainsey likes the organisation.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:49 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Just filtered the UFA list by position.

If i was Ron Hainsey, there is no way i sign before reaching FA. He is one of the few fairly productive and valuable dmen under 36 yrs of age in this year's UFA crop.

I hadn't studied that list until now. Smid is the only other guy that interests me as a Jets fan. Slim pick'ins.
That is part of why Garret and I have talking about Hainsey as though he is irreplaceable. Over the short term, he kinda is.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:59 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
That is part of why Garret and I have talking about Hainsey as though he is irreplaceable. Over the short term, he kinda is.
Well, i have a whole new appreciation for Ron, and what he brings, now.

IF we can get him signed to a 2 or 3 yr deal, at a fair and reasonable cap hit, that would be fantastic, imo.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:00 AM
jetkarma

We could do worse than re upping him , providing the cost is in line of course.

Seems to be an accountable player as well , sure he makes errors but there isn't a Jet Dman that doesn't. Think his attitude is plus to be honest and if we don't sign him , where is his replacement coming from?

Old
02-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post

Seems to be an accountable player as well , sure he makes errors but there isn't a Jet Dman that doesn't. Think his attitude is plus to be honest and if we don't sign him , where is his replacement coming from?
Very true. Even if Trouba leaves school and is signed, it likely wouldn't be fair to the kid to throw him into a top 4 slot as a 19 yr old rookie.

But if i was Ron, i'd want to see what i can get on the open market as this may be the last chance for another decent contract. Bonus, if it's with a perennial playoff contender like Philly or Detroit.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:13 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Quote:
**** that!
I didn't anticipate for Melchiori to get such an early chance!!! Who needs Ron when you have Julian??

My Melchiori bias is showing. Truth be told I like the kid, but he ain't NHL ready in my opinion

Old
02-26-2013, 12:23 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Very true. Even if Trouba leaves school and is signed, it likely wouldn't be fair to the kid to throw him into a top 4 slot as a 19 yr old rookie.

But if i was Ron, i'd want to see what i can get on the open market as this may be the last chance for another decent contract. Bonus, if it's with a perennial playoff contender like Philly or Detroit.
If Ron leaves and Trouba goes pro, the Jets could do a lot worse than a top 7 of: Toby, Buff, Bogo, Red, Post, Stu and Troub, but if we have learned anything over the last two years it should be MOAR defensemen! Banking on Trouba going pro and Redmond returning may not be wise though.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:25 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
**** that!
I didn't anticipate for Melchiori to get such an early chance!!! Who needs Ron when you have Julian??

My Melchiori bias is showing. Truth be told I like the kid, but he ain't NHL ready in my opinion
Yeah. I like Melch long term, but I am not keen on seeing him yet.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

I still think more deals and trades will be had in the off season as teams try and get cap compliant and normalize their salary structure. That may open the doors for us to get some players we need with all the cap space we will have.

Having said that, I still want Hainsey to return. I have a bad feeling about that, however.

02-26-2013, 12:39 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I still think more deals and trades will be had in the off season as teams try and get cap compliant and normalize their salary structure. That may open the doors for us to get some players we need with all the cap space we will have.

Having said that, I still want Hainsey to return. I have a bad feeling about that, however.
Hainsey's haircut makes me think he is too glam for Winnipeg. He is going to go somewhere warm.

Kane can wear a touque over his doo, but Hainsey's flow requires wind.

#prettyboy

#hateswinnipeg

#hefoughthardforfreeagencyrights

Old
02-26-2013, 12:48 AM
JetsHomer

I don't know of a cup contender is really going to have the space to offer Hainsey a big contract. Its going to be harder than normal for all free agents with the cap dropping 6m. I think its going to be a highly interesting off-season

Old
02-26-2013, 05:07 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I don't know of a cup contender is really going to have the space to offer Hainsey a big contract. Its going to be harder than normal for all free agents with the cap dropping 6m. I think its going to be a highly interesting off-season
100% agree and I also think its another reason we aren't seeing many moves right now (yet) despite some teams huge gaps due to injury. GM's have to keep one eye on that Iceberg they are heading towards. If we are smart and play our cards right we might just get an opprotunity to add a key piece to our top 4 D core this summer due to teams needing to make moves because of cap restrictions.

I would be happy to have Ron back but he would be crazy to not test out the FA waters based on the type of year he is putting together so far.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post

Those are my thoughts as well, and I mentioned in another thread how I really hope that Chevy is working on an extension right now. If we lose Hainsey in the off season, there isn't much in FA to replace him with.

But with that being said, Ron and his agent know that as well. If Ron wants to cash in one last time (not blaming him if he does), I hope Chevy knows that and is able to make moves accordingly (if the Jets are out of it at the deadline).

Basically, I think if a team is out of the playoff hunt at the trade deadline, I think a GM must know the intentions of his upcoming UFA's. Try to sign the ones you want to keep, and move the ones that are not coming back.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Hainsey's haircut makes me think he is too glam for Winnipeg. He is going to go somewhere warm.

Kane can wear a touque over his doo, but Hainsey's flow requires wind.

#prettyboy

#hateswinnipeg

#hefoughthardforfreeagencyrights
lmao

Old
02-26-2013, 09:20 AM
pcanuck

I am wondering what you are all watching when Hainsey is on the ice. Do you watch him at all? I don't live in Winterpeg but I KNOW most of you are watching the TSN Jets coverage. It is terrible - you miss what happens on the ice all of the time - check the away feeds and you'll see what I'm talking about. I won't even mention the play by play guys.

I stopped counting but in the first period ALONE in the Philadelphia game, Hainsey coughed up the puck 6 times in his own zone in ONE PERIOD. If I did this twice, I would have been benched playing junior. This was due to (i) a missed pass taken, (ii) a missed pass given and/or a (iii) lack of effort to get into the corner to fight for the puck. This was one game yes, but it is a COMMON occurrence.

He was okay last year. This year, he looks like Byfuglien, trying to direct traffic from the front of the net while his defensive partner can do the dirty work. This happens every game. I'm getting tired of watching Postma and Stuart kill themselves on the ice while their defensive partners are watching the play. Byfuglien is guilty of this often leaving Enstrom (out to dry) but now it's Hainsey as well.

Don't believe me? Please watch him when they play the Rangers.

I'm not sure why you think he's a good Dman. Ice time alone does not substantiate your claim. His numbers also don't tell the tale of the tape either. Giveaways are based on errant passes. They do not try to measure effort. He's older, has a large contract and not physical. I'll give you that he is a smart player because he doesn't take numerous penalties but that is hardly a reason to keep this guy around.

People on HF overvalue their own players but please be realistic. If they resign him to a one year deal, I've lost faith in Chevy. We are a below .500 team and if resigning old players is the status quo, we will never get any better. Redmond and Postma (both AHLers) played much better than Hainsey game in and out and are a younger, faster and cheaper option with higher upsides.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
I am wondering what you are all watching when Hainsey is on the ice. Do you watch him at all? I don't live in Winterpeg but I KNOW most of you are watching the TSN Jets coverage. It is terrible - you miss what happens on the ice all of the time - check the away feeds and you'll see what I'm talking about. I won't even mention the play by play guys.

(...)
That's strange, I could've sworn the home and away feeds were showing the same game.

EDIT: Wait a sec, you're actually saying people overvalue Hainsey around here?

He's easily the most criticized player on this team.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 02-26-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old
02-26-2013, 09:43 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
This is an issue for Hainsey and other FA's and one of the reasons Wpg. has positioned itself capwise the way it has imo.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:51 AM
jetkarma

I often get the impression "some" people are only looking for perfect hockey players ... even Messier and Forsberg and Orr weren't perfect.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:57 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
Hainsey (...)
Dude.

1) You're right, Hainsey has effed up sometimes. So has Enstrom, Byfuglien, Stuart, Clitsome, Redmond, Postma, Letang, Doughty, Lidstrom, etc etc... keep in mind that psychologically we natural allow confirmation bias can cause certain moments to be magnified in your memory and experiences.

2) a) There's a reason why certain players get more minutes, and there's a reason why certain players get tougher minutes with match-ups and how often they get started in the D-zone.
b) Side point, Hainsey getting the toughest assignments isn't only a sign of trust, but also causes a domino effect with perception in how his mistakes are magnified by having higher calibre opposition pressuring him and that his job is actually harder than a lot of the guys you compare him to.

3) I watch streams (I live in Van) so many times I have to have the away feed. Which is just as (sometimes more, sometimes less) biased but in the other direction...

4) Postma and Redmond have greater upside... well ya because Hainsey is old and is past the point of having an upside... doesn't mean he isn't currently better than someone. The problem is that most scouts have Postma and Redmond's upside being Hainsey, a legit #4. Postma, Clitsome and Redmond have been sheltered and babied by Noel from harm. I mean... do they even lift?

If you search it, there is an analytical breakdown of how Hainsey is a legitimate top4 (written by me). While stats don't pain the whole picture they do give the results and to have top4 results when having the toughest assignment for the Jets is decent. Besides, if the results are positive you don't really have much to complain about except for technical nuances, subjective preferences, and minor details that don't really mater much.
Yes, he is the Jets' weakest link by far in the top4.
Yes, his spot and Welly/Mittens' are the spots I'd love to upgrade.
But, AHL calibre? Waiver wire?
No.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
I like that you aren't a proponent of group think that rules these boards pcanuck. I'll give you that.

With the cap going down, there is a chance someone will become available that is an upgrade on Hainsey. But everything garret said is exactly right. He's the one playing against the #1 line every night, more so since Enstrom is out. Redmond was pretty solid in his role, but Postma would get eaten alive playing the minutes Hainsey is.

It's just so weird that you think he sucks when he's literally upped his value this season. Let him play against bottom six forwards as a third pairing guy on a contender and I think he would look and produce a lot better.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:50 AM
TCsmyth

Thought Hainsey played better last year than this year. It looks to me like he is slow with decision making, and soft on the puck. Stats can show that he is taking big, tough minutes - but I find his play underwhelming.

We all have our own opinions, but "we need to sign him because I am not sure who else we would put in there..." is flawed logic to me. That is what Chevy and company are paid to do - find people for the lineup. I personally believe there is a 99% chance we are witnessing Ron's last year with this team. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong

Old
02-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
That's strange, I could've sworn the home and away feeds were showing the same game.

EDIT: Wait a sec, you're actually saying people overvalue Hainsey around here?

He's easily the most criticized player on this team.
Didn't you know? All the away feeds are much much better than the Jets channel, and none of us here know what we are watching, and are sponges for whatever our announcers say.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Didn't you know? All the away feeds are much much better than the Jets channel, and none of us here know what we are watching, and are sponges for whatever our announcers say.
I'm personally looking very much forward to my instructions from Beyek on tonight's broadcast so I will then finally know what to say and think. I am simply lost without him today.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Thought Hainsey played better last year than this year. It looks to me like he is slow with decision making, and soft on the puck. Stats can show that he is taking big, tough minutes - but I find his play underwhelming.

We all have our own opinions, but "we need to sign him because I am not sure who else we would put in there..." is flawed logic to me. That is what Chevy and company are paid to do - find people for the lineup. I personally believe there is a 99% chance we are witnessing Ron's last year with this team. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong
I like the cut of yer jib.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:35 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post

Would you let him depart for no assets?

Closed Thread