HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you happy with Dubnyk in net now and in the future?

View Poll Results: are you happy with dubnyk in net?
yes 78 26.44%
no 81 27.46%
will give him one more year 68 23.05%
too early to tell, he is sill developing 48 16.27%
Oilers need a backup who can play more games to give him a break 20 6.78%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Do any of the advanced stat guys keep track of weak goals? It would be interesting to see some sort of analysis that takes these into account.
"There's no such thing as a weak goal against."
-Grant Fuhr

/fakequotes

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Yes, Fuhr let in softies as well. The difference was Fuhr would let in a couple when the team was up three or four and he wasn't in the zone.

Dubnyk's softies have come at much more critical times. The tying goal in the most recent Vancouver game was soft when that one save might have won the game.
It wasn't soft, it was a fluke. It was a hard shot, perfectly placed, through a screen.

The Canucks were just throwing pucks into the crowd at the front of the net all night long just like the Stars used to do back in the day. Eventually pucks have to go in when you do it enough times.

The Oilers lost because when they had a pp with 5 mins to go they played as if they had an 11 goal lead. They completely lacked intensity when it was time to close the game out.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Oi'll say!

There was a lot of criticism of DD last year and those arguments at least had some merit although IMO he was doing well.

Through the first 9 games of this season it's laughable that people would say he's been anything but solid as a #1 goalie.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:45 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
not happy with last nights game

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Yeah if only he could chip in offensively.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:19 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Not much he could do on any of those goals.

The Oilers didn't give up many chances last night but when they did, they were doozies.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 673
I think the question at this point is what are we going to do for next season? Who comes into our team and becomes good or great competition for Duby?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Looks like Khabibulin has been getting a few starts lately. I would like him to continue forward as the starter this year. Thoughts?

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
Looks like Khabibulin has been getting a few starts lately. I would like him to continue forward as the starter this year. Thoughts?
I'd like him to play well so we can get something useful at the trade deadline.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Mr V

[QUOTE=Seedling;60392647]I'd like him to play well so we can get something useful at the trade deadline. [/

And if we're in the playoff hunt, are you still going to trade him?

Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:51 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
This team is building towards the future. Khabi has no future. play him every second game until the deadline. Then play him every fourth game after that.

Dubnyk has put up very good numbers this year infront of a team that is still a joke defensively.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:55 AM
GMofOilers

I hope Habby gets the start tonight

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:16 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 394
Quote:
Playing well, so it does bring up his value for potential trade bait. With that being said him playing well gives us options going forward.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him as backup next year.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:59 AM
GMofOilers

So does he get the next start or do you roll out Habby again?

We dont play until Thursday so I think it would be good to get Dubby in against Dallas and play habby vs Blues.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:11 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
So does he get the next start or do you roll out Habby again?

We dont play until Thursday so I think it would be good to get Dubby in against Dallas and play habby vs Blues.
I'd play Dubby the next bunch of games. I'm really hoping part of the reason Bulin played two in a row was because it was against his former teams. I'm also hoping part of it was that someone has inquired on him.

We do have back to backs next Thursday-Friday against Detroit-Nashville. That's when I'd play Bulin again.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Beerfish

Seems like goalie is once again a major concern for the Edmonton Oilers since they are favoring a 40 year old over their 'young starter'.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:33 AM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Seems like goalie is once again a major concern for the Edmonton Oilers since they are favoring a 40 year old over their 'young starter'.
I think it proves we need to do something about it one day. I dont think the Oilers are confident hes the man for the future.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

I noticed that Chicago was sending a lot of shots from poor angles against Khabibulin. The scouting report must have said something about that being a weakness, and I did notice that Khabibulin had a tough time controlling some of those shots.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I noticed that Chicago was sending a lot of shots from poor angles against Khabibulin. The scouting report must have said something about that being a weakness, and I did notice that Khabibulin had a tough time controlling some of those shots.
People dont realize that he has been a subpar goalie stats-wise for the better part of 10 years now. Riding Khabby is like playing Russian roulette. It's gonna start burning us soon. 40 year olds in any sport dont just all of a sudden start consistently playing as they did 10+ years prior. Whereas Dubnyk has consistently improved as a pro each and every year.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:11 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Either that or they have a team that knows the benefits to putting the puck towards the net.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Mr Sakich

Duby has played well but I think they are showcasing khabbi.

Going into the season, his trade value was below zero, now we might get something for him because he is having a very good year.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:15 AM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
People dont realize that he has been a subpar goalie stats-wise for the better part of 10 years now. Riding Khabby is like playing Russian roulette. It's gonna start burning us soon. 40 year olds in any sport dont just all of a sudden start consistently playing as they did 10+ years prior. Whereas Dubnyk has consistently improved as a pro each and every year.
Habby has been lights out his last 3 starts where Dubby has really dropped the ball and been terrible his last 3 starts.

Not sure what to do. Do we keep with Dubby and miss the playoffs, to keep developing him when many people dont know if he can really be a true #1?

Thats the question that has to be answered.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Either that or they have a team that knows the benefits to putting the puck towards the net.
Agreed. I live in Chicago so if the Oilers aren't playing I usually watch the Hawks and they are really good at sending a puck into a goaltenders pads and fighting for the rebounds. It is one of the many reasons why they are the top team in the league. Against Edmonton, however, I noticed they were specifically targeting the low inside post on Khabibulin. Maybe it just appeared that way?

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:57 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Agreed. I live in Chicago so if the Oilers aren't playing I usually watch the Hawks and they are really good at sending a puck into a goaltenders pads and fighting for the rebounds. It is one of the many reasons why they are the top team in the league. Against Edmonton, however, I noticed they were specifically targeting the low inside post on Khabibulin. Maybe it just appeared that way?
I don't doubt it was part of the target. To me it just seemed the Oilers were clogging up the middle and forcing those shots at times.

Either way the Hawks have a team that is built the way we need to be. A team that can no only beat you on nice plays, but a team that can beat you by fighting for loose pucks.

It's funny you look at it and Chicago isn't exactly a big team up front, but they can play big.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:41 PM
MoneyGuy

I'm happy with Dub being a 1A/1B going forward. On a related note, with the way Habi is playing, I wonder what we could get for him at the trade deadline from a team one goalie away from making a run for the cup. Could we get a second draft choice and draft Tristan Jarry from the OKs? That would leave us short a backup goalie, but maybe we can fill that spot with someone from the farm for the rest of the season or maybe acquire a short-term solution at the deadline to last us the rest of the season. This all assumes that we're not looking to be in the playoff hunt at that time, as I expect.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote