HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Realigned!!! [3/7 update: CHI - COL - DAL - MIN - NSH - STL - WPG; NHLPA approves]

Old
02-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Detroit is too big of a draw in the west for the NHL to make that move.
Not for long.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:56 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
I know they're not making the playoffs...been calling that since summer, but current attendance figures don't lie. As a road team, they pack many buildings in the west.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Granlund 64

vCash: 500
Quote:
I know they're not making the playoffs...been calling that since summer, but current attendance figures don't lie. As a road team, they pack many buildings in the west.
When we did our season ticket draft I specifically selected the game last week against Detroit, because it was the Red Wings.

They will still pack buildings as you said.

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:26 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Not for long.
One down season in the last 20+ years is pretty damn good. We will see how they rebound. If anything they may benefit from a realignment getting them out of a division that is basically a powerhouse now that STL woke the hell up.

Quote:
That is b/c of the Big 3 retirees who moved to Phoenix (probably the biggest reason they got a team), Dallas, and Anaheim. Detroit is a massive reason for the expansion we've seen to be honest. While those cities are doing pretty well for themselves all things considered, the reason you see that fanbase in record #'s is they always won (bandwagon) or someone before them was a Red Wings fan. It is like when the Yankees come here. You see more NY stuff than Twins stuff sometimes lol.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:46 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
One down season in the last 20+ years is pretty damn good. We will see how they rebound. If anything they may benefit from a realignment getting them out of a division that is basically a powerhouse now that STL woke the hell up.

That is b/c of the Big 3 retirees who moved to Phoenix (probably the biggest reason they got a team), Dallas, and Anaheim. Detroit is a massive reason for the expansion we've seen to be honest. While those cities are doing pretty well for themselves all things considered, the reason you see that fanbase in record #'s is they always won (bandwagon) or someone before them was a Red Wings fan. It is like when the Yankees come here. You see more NY stuff than Twins stuff sometimes lol.
Agreed on the Yankees analogy. The Yankees have had plenty of down years, but just because they are the Yankees, people are drawn into attendance.

The Red Wings are still the Red Wings with all the history behind the winged wheel even if they aren't having as much on ice success. Thus fans will always be drawn in to games vs the Wings.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:59 PM
wildman22

Not too sure how heavily this being discussed but

Quote:
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC

The new re-alignment NHL/NHLPA have worked on -- I: CAR/CLB/NJ/NYI/NYR/PHI/PIT/WASH
Quote:

II: BOS/BUF/DET/FLA/MON/OTT/TB/TOR
Quote:
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC III. CHI/COL/DAL/MIN/NASH/STL/WIN
Quote:

IV: ANA/CAL/EDM/LA/PHOE/SJ/VAN

wildman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman22 View Post
I find that VERY strange. If I recall, the only way they could get the East to agree to the formerly proposed alignment was to give the east two 7 team conferences and the west two 8 team conferences, so the east would have a higher playoff team percentage.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:01 PM
frozenriverrat77
Do Vu's New Voodoo

The playoffs would be league wide...not per grouping...which I think actually sucks...have one team per grouping meet for the cup...crazy rivalries will be made in the playoffs

frozenriverrat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:10 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman22 View Post
I'm pretty much in love with our Division if that is true.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:12 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I'm pretty much in love with our Division if that is true.
You're not alone.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:15 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Agreed on the Yankees analogy. The Yankees have had plenty of down years, but just because they are the Yankees, people are drawn into attendance.

The Red Wings are still the Red Wings with all the history behind the winged wheel even if they aren't having as much on ice success. Thus fans will always be drawn in to games vs the Wings.
I disagree....I remember when the Wings were horrible in the 70's and 80's...they weren't any more of a draw than any other team. The only reason they are a draw now is because of their long time on ice success...if and when they slide towards mediocrity, their draw will be less and less.

It's the same for any team: Penguins, Caps, Blackhawks, etc.

EDIT: The latest from Russo re: realignment:

Russo

Quote:
Realignment update
The Wild is getting closer to being realigned out of the Northwest Division. The team has been told it will be in a new seven-team "conference" with more geographical and sensible rivals, sources say.

"It remains a work in progress," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly wrote in an e-mail to the Star Tribune. "We hope to have something for the Board [of Governors] to review and consider for approval in the next week or two."

CBC's Elliotte Friedman reported Saturday that the new realignment plan has the Wild in a conference with Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg. Daly wouldn't confirm Friedman's report. Under the NHL's original plan last year, Detroit and Columbus were supposed to be in the conference and Colorado in with the California teams, Phoenix, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

Now, according to Friedman, Detroit would move into a conference with Boston, Buffalo, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Toronto, while Columbus would join Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, the Rangers, Islanders, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Washington.

Wild owner Craig Leipold has urged the NHL to realign the Wild since purchasing the franchise in 2008.

The reasons? 1) Better geographical rivalries; 2) shorter flights; 3) fiscally more desirable; 4) fewer occasions through customs; 5) earlier start times, making road games more practical for fans to watch on TV.

Last edited by MuckOG: 02-24-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie reporting three teams from each conference in new alignment would make playoffs. Rest would be wild cards.
http://twitter.com/mirtle/status/306206939749167106

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:05 PM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

Did Someone say Wildcard?

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Well, I'm not familiar with wildcards (not at all, don't follow MLB) but would the Wild have more chances to make the playoffs?

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:26 PM
melinko

vCash: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Well, I'm not familiar with wildcards (not at all, don't follow MLB) but would the Wild have more chances to make the playoffs?
Depends how its setup, probably same/worse chance.

I don't understand how they will make a wildcard system that doesn't have major flaws.

What I imagine will happen is the 7th and 8th seeds will be filled by 2 teams with the best records(not currently in the playoffs) within the conference.

Example:

West:
--Canucks 105pts *
--Ducks 103pts *
--Coyotes 101pts *
--Sharks 100pts *
--Kings 99pts *
--Flames 89pts
--Oilers 79pts

Midwest:
--Backhawks 111pts*
--Blues 104pts*
--Stars 96pts*
--Wild 93pts
--Jets 87pts
--Avalanche 87pts
--Blue Jackets 74pts
(numbers are made up, i don't know if those numbers are possible)

playoffs = *

Basically only top 3 teams from each division would be guaranteed, rest would be seeded based on points.

I don't know if it would combine East/West or how the playoffs would be seeded.

If the schedules aren't equal it will hurt the teams in a tougher division.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No idea how this affects the playoffs, but I like the teams. Would also like a one-game playoff for the two wild-card spots. And would also like to shorten the first series to five games. But that's just me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:19 AM
forthewild

I like this proposal, its common sense, it gives the Wings their wish (tho i'd rather have Wings then Nashy). Hopefully it gets approved, and I think it will changes the conversation from "oh lockout this" to LOOK SHINY!!!

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

From what i have heard the wild card would only be used for the East who have 8 teams in each conference as opposed to 7.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:20 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Did Someone say Wildcard?

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:22 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
From what i have heard the wild card would only be used for the East who have 8 teams in each conference as opposed to 7.
Not true..here is the latest:

Link

Quote:
With NHL realignment talk seemingly moving ahead full steam, news has leaked out regarding the playoff picture in the new configuration.

Under the new alignment, three teams from each of the four conferences would make the playoffs, according to TSN.ca's Bob McKenzie. The rest of the playoff field would be made up of wild cards, according to McKenzie.

Under a proposed plan that the NHL and NHLPA have worked up, a four-conference realignment would place Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets with other Eastern time zone teams, according to the CBC's Elliotte Friedman.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:23 AM
nickschultzfan

16 teams in east makes no sense if Quebec City and Southern Ontario are getting teams.

Sure, one new team might be in Seattle, but that would probably be Phoenix. Where else in the West are two teams going to be? Hope to god its not Vegas or Kansas City. Terrible locations for franchise.

Portland? Milwaukee? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Not true..here is the latest:

Link
I guess we will find out for sure soon enough.

Thanks for the info.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:36 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
16 teams in east makes no sense if Quebec City and Southern Ontario are getting teams.

Sure, one new team might be in Seattle, but that would probably be Phoenix. Where else in the West are two teams going to be? Hope to god its not Vegas or Kansas City. Terrible locations for franchise.

Portland? Milwaukee? Doesn't make a lot of sense.
Last I heard is that MLSE demands that any team in Hamilton/Markham be pushed in the WESTERN conference.

If Phoenix were to move to QC... (which I doubt at this point)

Colorado moves in with the California teams, Detroit or more than likely Columbus move back west.

Seattle would expand that conference to 8. Markham/Hamilton would expand the Central to 8.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:40 AM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Yeah. Seattle obviously in the far Western, then the other Toronto team in the Central with us. Adds a second Canadian team for Winnipeg, as having a single Canadian team in an otherwise all-american division goes against what they have already said, and adding the 2nd Toronto team will give the division more exposure in the Canadian market.

Right now there is not much of a reason to cover the Central when the other three have pretty much all of the "good" stories.

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

IMO deal with relocation/expansion teams later. Fix the system now, don't wait five years.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote